Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Immitrex Rebounds (Read 2261 times)
crouchingjedi
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Immitrex Rebounds
Feb 23rd, 2009 at 5:52pm

Anyone have any evidence through their own experiences regarding rebound headaches after Immitrex?  My two questions are as follows:

1.  Is a rebound headache more likely to happen when you wait to use immitrex until the headache gets strong or if you use it early before it flares up

2.  Is there also a rebound when using tablets or just the injections

Just curious as I am trying to manage the rebound effect a little better

IP Logged

Marc
Ex Member

Re: Immitrex Rebounds
Reply #1 - Feb 23rd, 2009 at 6:51pm

Imitrex in any form causes me to have more hits. Using Imitrex even one day will cause this problem for me, so I'm not talking about rebounds.

I avoid it completely for that reason. This may only apply to me and not others.

Marc
« Last Edit: Feb 23rd, 2009 at 6:52pm by Marc »  

IP Logged

ClusterChuck
CH.com Alumnus

The BEAST rises again,
and again, and again,
and .

Greenville, North Carolina
Reply #2 - Feb 23rd, 2009 at 8:34pm

I have heard of MANY that complain about rebounds from Imitrex shots.  That does NOT happen for me.   As a matter of fact, it has the inverse effect on me.  If I REALLY need, uninterrupted sleep, for my last hit, before going to bed, I take a shot of Imitrex, and then I am assured of at least four hours without a hit.  Normally, I only get to sleep for 45 to 90 minutes between hits.

I try NOT to take a shot, for many reasons, but if I absolutely need the sleep, I take it.

Chuck

CAUTION:  Do NOT smoke when using or around oxygen.  Oxygen can permeate your clothing or bedding.  Wait, before lighting cigarette or flame.  

Keep fire extinguisher available, and charged.
ClusterChuck  
IP Logged

Jonny
Ex Member

Reply #3 - Feb 23rd, 2009 at 8:38pm

Marc wrote on Feb 23rd, 2009 at 6:51pm:
Imitrex in any form causes me to have more hits. Using Imitrex even one day will cause this problem for me, so I'm not talking about rebounds.

I avoid it completely for that reason. This may only apply to me and not others.

Marc

I ditto that!

I find that Zomig works just as fast without the BS!

IP Logged

ANNSIE
Ex Member

Reply #4 - Feb 23rd, 2009 at 9:51pm

My late husband, who had episodic CH, found that the injections were causing more rebound than the tablets, but both can cause it if used too frequently.

IP Logged

byoung111
CH.com Junior

It's just one of those
days!

Portland, OR
Reply #5 - Feb 23rd, 2009 at 10:10pm

I think it depends on the amount of Imitrex you take. When I used the auto injector, I would always rebound. Once I went to vial form, and used about 1/3 of the dose, I never had another rebound.

IP Logged

billyjoe
CH.com Veteran

Berthoud, Colorado
Reply #6 - Feb 24th, 2009 at 1:38pm

I'm not sure if I would call it rebounds but I'm pretty convinced that it caused my episode last year to last 8 months.  I also used about a 1/3 shot.

Bill

IP Logged

Dennis
CH.com Junior

People's Republic of Mass.
Reply #7 - Feb 24th, 2009 at 11:37pm

I only get the rebound hits from Imitrex when I use it too often, say 2 injections per day for 2-3 days in a row.  It's for emergency use only in my case, like rare cases where O2 hasn't worked or isn't an option.

I've often had a sense there is sometimes a twisted, just plain wrong, physiological mission that an attack has.   And it sometimes seems to persist or even intensify through multiple aborts to accomplish this end, whatever it is.

It's also possible that having these things for 33 years has made me a looney.  

Dennis

IP Logged

Guiseppi
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

San Diego to Florida 05-16-2011

SAN DIEGO, CALIFORNIA USA
Reply #8 - Feb 25th, 2009 at 11:11am

I only have one cycle with imitrex so I hate to draw conclusions....but it was an 8 month cycle, previous 28 years I had never gone past 3 month cycles. I intend to try the next cycle imitrex free and see what happens. Fortunately for me 02 is still a great abortive.

On the other hand maybe I'm cured and they'll NEVER come back!!!! Grin

Joe

edited cuz I kant spel this urly in the morning!
« Last Edit: Feb 25th, 2009 at 11:12am by Guiseppi »  

"Somebody had to say it" is usually a piss poor excuse to be mean.

IP Logged

crouchingjedi
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #9 - Feb 25th, 2009 at 3:19pm

Dennis wrote on Feb 24th, 2009 at 11:37pm:
I only get the rebound hits from Imitrex when I use it too often, say 2 injections per day for 2-3 days in a row.  It's for emergency use only in my case, like rare cases where O2 hasn't worked or isn't an option.

This has pretty much been my experience too now that I think about it.

IP Logged

Kimmie
CH.com Veteran

OW!!

US
Reply #10 - Mar 4th, 2009 at 2:16pm

I use the 20mg nasal spray when in cycle.

When my CH peaks, i use upwards to 3 a day and have noticed the rebounds HA'S to be hell on earth. They also tend to make my cycle longer.

This cycle i got a shot of steroids and it busted the cycle, so now i am going to have a talk with the doc about prednisone tapers. I would like to kick the triptans to the curb!! I believe theyre just plain evil!!! Smiley

To accept the challenge is the destiny of leadership.
WWW kimberlydismuke  
IP Logged

Bob Johnson
CH.com Alumnus

"Only the educated are
free." -Epictetus

Kennett Square, PA (USA)
Reply #11 - Mar 4th, 2009 at 2:23pm

Medication overuse headache (MOH), or "rebound headache", is a common and disabling headache disorder that can DEVELOP AND PERSIST BY THE FREQUENT AND EXCESSIVE USE OF SYMPTOMATIC PAIN MEDICATIONS. Often these headaches begin early in the morning, and the location and severity of headache may change from day to day. People who have MOH may also have nausea, irritability, depression, or problems sleeping.

In susceptible individuals with a pre-existing episodic headache condition (most frequently migraine or tension-type headache), the frequent, near-daily use of simple analgesics (aspirin or paracetamol), combination analgesics (containing caffeine, codeine, or barbiturates), opioids, ergotamine, or triptans "transforms" the headache into one that occurs daily.

Characteristic features of MOH include the following:
1. the frequency of the headaches increases over time, without the patient being aware;
2. patient often wakes up in the early morning with a headache, even though this was not a feature of the original headache type;
3. some of the headache attacks may become nondescript – lacking features specific to migraine or tension-type headache;
4. the patient gets a headache more easily with stress or exertion;
5. greater doses of the medications are needed to alleviate the headache;
6. headaches occur within a predictable period after the last dose of medication, usually with reduced efficacy.

How much medication is too much?
The new 2004 International Headache Society (IHS) criteria guidelines2 state that MOH can be associated with the use of:

simple analgesics for 15 days or more, for more than 3 months

combination medications for 10 days or more, for more than 3 months

opioids for 10 days or more, for more than 3 months

ergotamine and triptans for more than 10 days per month, for more than 3 months

Frequent and regular use (ie. two or three times per week) is much more likely to cause MOH than taking medication in clusters of several treatment days separated by prolonged treatment-free intervals.

Caffeine is an ingredient in some headache medications. It may improve headaches initially, but daily intake of caffeine-containing medications, or caffeine-containing beverages, can result in greater headache frequency and severity. Stopping caffeine may actually make headaches worse, and some patients require professional help to overcome caffeine dependency.

As well, the new IHS criteria defines headache secondary to medication overuse as headache which has worsened in the face of 10 or more days of triptan use or 15 or more days of analgesic use. Headache must be present 15 or more days per month.

Treating MOH
Patients with CDH who overuse acute pain medications are advised to discontinue or taper the overused medication. There is the possibility of developing tolerance to the drug, and/or dependence. There is also the risk of developing liver, kidney and gastrointestinal disorders.

Most patients with MOH can be treated in the outpatient setting. Hospitalization is usually for patients overusing opioids, barbituates, or benzodiazepines, those with severe psychiatric comorbidities, or those who have failed previous withdrawal attempts as an outpatient.

Simple analgesics, ergotamines, triptans and most combination analgesics can be abruptly discontinued whereas opioids and barbituate-containing analgesics should be gradually tapered. Patients should be given a pain medication in a class they are not overusing, in limited doses, to help alleviate withdrawal symptoms, such as headache, nausea, vomiting, sleep disturbances, etc.). These symptoms typically last from 2 to 10 days.

The first step to treating MOH is to educate the patient about the role of medication overuse in the patient’s chronic daily headache. If there is comorbid depression and/or anxiety, it needs to be addressed at the same time. Biofeedback can be used to help the patient learn relaxation techniques, and lifestyle habits have to be modified. This can include decreasing caffeine consumption, increasing exercise, using stress management strategies, and improving sleep habits.

The goal of withdrawal is to get rid of daily or near-daily medication use and its associated symptoms, to restore an episodic pattern of headache, and to establish an effective treatment strategy including both preventive and acute medications. In patients with a long history of near-daily or daily headaches it may be more realistic to aim to reduce the intensity of daily pain, restore the patient’s ability to function, and to provide an effective strategy for acute management of severe headaches.

References:
1. Dowson AJ, Dodick DW, Limmroth V. Medication overuse headache in patients with primary headache disorders: epidemiology, management and pathogenesis. CNS Drugs 2003 (in press).
2. Headache Classification Subcommittee of the International Headache Society. The International classification of headache disorders, 2nd ed. Cephalalgia 2004;24(suppl 1):1-160.

Sources:
Gladstone J, Eross E, Dodick DW. Chronic daily headache: a rational approach to a challenging problem. Semin Neurol 2003;265-276.
American Family Physican - Rebound Headache.

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

Bob Johnson

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!