Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
A new record for length of cycle.... (Read 1745 times)
B.Baer
CH.com Veteran

I Love CH.com!

Northeast Pennsylvania
A new record for length of cycle....
Feb 22nd, 2009 at 6:58pm

Just need to vent, I am going into week 13, drum roll please....
an all time record.  Angry I went off my meds. about a week ago, Sansert and Topamax, I've seen no change for the better or worse. I cleared it with the Neuro., I'm sure he'll want to try something else.
   I never had a cycle as wierd as this, it's trying to change sides, I've always been left and now it hits occasionally on the right. The beast is always throwing curve balls and off speed stuff.
   I have no right to complain, the HA's have not once had me banging my head off the floor, as was the case in all of my previous cycles, just discomfort of some sort every day for three months broken up by periods of intense pain. Every time I turn my head I hear rice krispies popping  in my neck and I'll just shut up now and go back to dealing with it.
   Thanks for listening and we return you to your regular scheduled programing. O2 is my friend  Smiley

Barry Baer  
IP Logged

Marc
Ex Member

Re: A new record for length of cycle....
Reply #1 - Feb 22nd, 2009 at 7:03pm

Man, that sucks. At least you have O2 to help keep them from hitting the top of the scale.  I know what you mean about the neck........

Tried Verapamil yet?

IP Logged

B.Baer
CH.com Veteran

I Love CH.com!

Northeast Pennsylvania
Reply #2 - Feb 22nd, 2009 at 7:40pm

Marc,
     I went the Verapamil route as a prevent, didn't do much good. The Neuro. had me stay on a long time after the cycle was over. All it did was give me severe constipation resulting in internal hemorrhoids.Man this cluster stuff is fun huh.
     That reminds me, I've got to have them taken care of when I'm out of cycle. Just a laugh a min. I know that Verapamil helps a lot of people, just didn't do much for me.
     I've gone through a lot of the Level One meds. to no avail. Sansert seemed to help, but I have to order from Canada and the cycle was established by the time I got my script.
     I'll just keep on keep'n on..... What choice do we have. Maybe someday they'll find a cure for the beast and we can all reminisce about the bad old days.

Barry Baer  
IP Logged

RaceAce
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #3 - Mar 4th, 2009 at 5:52pm

I am feeling your pain, i am into week 8. Twice every 24hrs with shadows in between.
The main attack strikes in the early hours, around 1-2 am.
Verapamil had no effect for me either, just taking sumatriptan ( imigran ) 100mg tabs now for relief.
This has been the longest cycle yet for me, and its starting to take its toll !

IP Logged

Guiseppi
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

San Diego to Florida 05-16-2011

SAN DIEGO, CALIFORNIA USA
Reply #4 - Mar 4th, 2009 at 6:02pm

My last cycle went 8 months.....my previous record was 4 months. It sucked...but it did end. hang in there.

Joe

"Somebody had to say it" is usually a piss poor excuse to be mean.

IP Logged

ClusterChuck
CH.com Alumnus

The BEAST rises again,
and again, and again,
and .

Greenville, North Carolina
Reply #5 - Mar 4th, 2009 at 6:06pm

That sucks that you both are into long cycles.  The beast LOVES to fu*k with our heads!

I stopped getting any results from any preventatives, also, so I just quit taking any.  I just use my buddy O2 to abort, when I do get hit.

There are a lot of us that don't take preventatives, and just use abortives, mostly oxygen.

Good luck!

Chuck

CAUTION:  Do NOT smoke when using or around oxygen.  Oxygen can permeate your clothing or bedding.  Wait, before lighting cigarette or flame.  

Keep fire extinguisher available, and charged.
ClusterChuck  
IP Logged

Linda_Howell
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

Do not feed the Moderators

Santa Maria, Ca.
Reply #6 - Mar 4th, 2009 at 6:13pm

What dosage were you at on the Verapamil.  It may have been to low.  Also has your Doctor had you on Lithium?

Hurt people.....hurt people.   Think about it.
WWW calientev8 N/A N/A  
IP Logged

B.Baer
CH.com Veteran

I Love CH.com!

Northeast Pennsylvania
Reply #7 - Mar 4th, 2009 at 6:31pm

RaceAce, hang in there brother, your in the right place for support.
Joe, thanks you give me hope. I'll get through, always did and always will.
  Linda, I don't, at the moment ,remember the  Verapamil dose, since the  hemorrhoid problems I'm not in a big hurry to start that up again.   
   I just saw the Neuro. today, she asked if I minded a Neuro. student setting in, as we are so rare..... Ya' got a love it, with the odds of having CH, you'd at least think one of us should hit the lottery, wouldn't ya' Grin
  She has given me a script for Lithium for the first time, I don't know why they haven't tried this before, I had the blood tests and EKG today to establish my base line and should be on the Lithium by tomorrow, if she gets my base line back from the labs on time.
  I see some of us have had success with this, I hope it works. We all know, some meds. work for some people and don't for others, hell, I had success with one thing in a cycle and it didn't touch it the next.
I wonder sometimes if anything really works, or it's the natural progression of the cycle ending. Food for thought.

Thanks guys,
Keep on keepin' on ....
Baer

Barry Baer  
IP Logged

Guiseppi
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

San Diego to Florida 05-16-2011

SAN DIEGO, CALIFORNIA USA
Reply #8 - Mar 4th, 2009 at 8:47pm

Crossing my fingers for you. Lithium at 1200 mg a day is my silver bullet, still. It blocks 70-80% of my attacks. Hoping and praying it works as well for you. Takes 10 or so days to reach therapeudic levels so be patient. And my goodness you pee a lot the first 2 weeks so drink lots more water. Hopefully doc already told you that. Wink

Joe

"Somebody had to say it" is usually a piss poor excuse to be mean.

IP Logged

BarbaraD
CH.com Alumnus

Hugs to ya

Douglasville, TX
Reply #9 - Mar 6th, 2009 at 12:36pm

Let's see this cycle I'm in started in July of 97, but I know it's gonna end anytime now... Wink   Just kidding you.... Us chronics have to laugh or we'll get weird (except for Chuck and he's always weird).

Lithium has worked for a lot on here. I use Topamax and it's been my miracle drug since 99. Keeps most headaches at bay for the most part, but I depend on O2 as an abort. It's almost 100% (almost). Have a head-banger I can't get rid of occasionally, but for the most part I can keep control of them.

Hope your cycle ends soon. This year has been strange for a lot of Chers. Hang in there.

Hugs BD

What don't kill ya, Makes ya stronger!

IP Logged

B.Baer
CH.com Veteran

I Love CH.com!

Northeast Pennsylvania
Reply #10 - Mar 6th, 2009 at 4:52pm

Joe and Barb I apperciate the support, this has been my wierdest cycle ever.

I swear it wants to swap sides, but hits the hardest on the left. I have noticed latley that I am uncomfortable almost 24 hours per day. Pressure on the right, minor bloodshot right eye etc. Only seems to let go at night for two hours at a time, thats when I get the full blown on the left.

Thank god the night time hits I can calm down with 8 or 10 mins. of O2, and none have gone full blown exterme. Makes for a restless maddening nigth, starts to playing on your nerves if you know what I mean......

But none of you folks would understand that .......Yeah Right  Cheesy
I'm trying to keep a grip on things and pray that cycle breaks soon.

Thanks a million guys...
Baer

Barry Baer  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!