Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Verapamil or CH? Whats worse??! (Read 2008 times)
Kim D
CH.com Junior

Nashville, TN
Verapamil or CH? Whats worse??!
Feb 22nd, 2009 at 1:48am

I've been in cycle for a little over 4 weeks now, been on verapamil almost 3 weeks. I'm currently taking 240mg's a day. But it makes me feel awful!

Before I was taking 480mg of Verapamil and every morning when I get out of bed/take a shower I have to sit down for like 10 minutes to make sure I don't fall over and pass out. I feel like I'm going to faint or that my heart is just going to stop. I called my neuro and he said to reduce my prescription to 240mg a day, and today is day 5 of that, and I still feel like crap. All day today I just wanted to sleep and everytime I get up to walk to the bathroom or kitchen I feel like I'm going to fall over and die.

Well, when I called my neuro 5 days ago he said that because of the side effects verapamil was giving me he wanted to put me on Topamax instead. So now I'm ramping up on Topamax and ramping down on verapamil, and the side effects are INSANE! I don't want to eat and food disgusts me (Topamax) but if I don't eat something I might pass out (Verapamil). Not to mention I just came down with the flu and I blame that on the fact that I just got done with a prednisone taper.

I'm wondering if the preventitives are even worth it... I miss eating and I miss being able to walk to the kitchen without feeling like I need to sit down. Blahhhhhh.
« Last Edit: Feb 22nd, 2009 at 1:49am by Kim D »  

Faith is being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see. Hebrews 11:1.
kdyer89  
IP Logged

Guiseppi
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

San Diego to Florida 05-16-2011

SAN DIEGO, CALIFORNIA USA
Re: Verapamil or CH? Whats worse??!
Reply #1 - Feb 22nd, 2009 at 2:04am

It can be a tough battle trying to find the right med/combo that works. I know you're probably hesitant to try ANYTHING else new right now, but consider lithium. Many of us get substantial relief using it as a prevent. It requires pretty close monitoring the first time on while they establish what your levels need to be. I thought it was based on your body size but apparently people process it differently so it takes a few blood tests when you first go on it.

The good news with lithium is we use it at a substantially lower level then those who use it for psyche reasons. At my dose, 1200 mg a day, a cup or two of coffee is all it takes me to over ride any slugishness from the lithium.

It doesn't work for everybody, (boy you hear that a lot about CH treatments!), but it might be worth talking with the neuro about. Good luck and hang in there.

Joe

"Somebody had to say it" is usually a piss poor excuse to be mean.

IP Logged

Ellick
CH.com Veteran

ET found here.

x1|Aylesbury|UK
Reply #2 - Feb 22nd, 2009 at 6:47am

Seems like there are many different things that could be contributing to your discomfort.

Flu will certainly make you feel very tired, dizzy and have no appetite. Prednisilone can make your head feel like an empty container. Verapermil can make your heart feel weird.

Are you taking medication for the flu?

Sorry you are having to cope with so many things at one time as well  CH.

When you have got rid of the flu it may be easier to tell what side effects each different medication is causing.

Whatever the answers I hope you find them soon and get some deserved well time.

Best wishes,

Ellick.

ET

IP Logged

DennisM1045
CH.com Alumnus

One wave at a time!

Haverhill, Massachusetts, USA
Reply #3 - Feb 22nd, 2009 at 10:12am

Hi Kim,

I'm sorry the Verapamil didn't work out.  I was luck in that the side effects of Verapamil went away pretty quickly.  Like Guiseppi said, it can take a while to find your magic combination.  In the mean time, I know how frustrating it can be.

You have the list of meds.  Work through it with your Dr till you find the right one.  If you get to the end of the list there are always the alternatives; clusterbusters and the herbal remedies.  Some folks decide that med free with just Oxygen is the way to go.

Your solution for CH and your journey to find it are going to be unique.  The hard part is being patient enough to work through the various solutions till you find one that works for you.

I'm sorry your first attempt wasn't successful and I do hope the Topomax works better.  Just try to stick with it for one month.  If not, you haven't really given your body and chance to adapt and the drug a chance to work.  I've seen some find relief after weeks of struggle.  You'd hate to have given up too soon on something that could really help.

Good luck hon and remember, CH.com is open 24x7...

-Dennis-

Where there is life, there is hope.
Where there is Oxygen, you must use proper caution.
So be safe, don't smoke while using O2. Kill the pain and not yourself.
dennism1045 dennism1045 524417261 DennisM1045 DennisM1045  
IP Logged

billyjoe
CH.com Veteran

Berthoud, Colorado
Reply #4 - Feb 24th, 2009 at 1:41pm

I hated Topomax and can't poop on too much Verapimil.  I would also recommend you check out Lithium and oxygen.

Bill

IP Logged

kevmd
CH.com Hall of Famer

Who needs a hypothalamus
anyway?

x0|philadelphia|USA||0|0|PA,Pennsylvania
Reply #5 - Feb 24th, 2009 at 10:20pm

Ch can't kill you.  I OD'd on verapamil and nearly died.  But that can happen with all meds.  I had some good years with verap.  Doesn;t work for me anymore

PHILADELPHIA PHILLIES 2008 WORLD CHAMPS

IP Logged

kika
CH.com Veteran

I Love CH.com!

Reply #6 - Feb 27th, 2009 at 12:16pm

The verapapmil is probably making your BP too low, hence you feel exhausted. Maybe you need a lower dose twice a day. You should have your BP checked ASAP though.

The Topamax made me an idiot and I could not work on it, but I am told the side effects wear off with time.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!