Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
O2 on a plane (Read 1760 times)
dazee
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

O2 on a plane
Feb 20th, 2009 at 10:55pm

I have to take a flight next month and would like to bring my e-tank.  I just called United, which informed me that I couldn't bring my own but that it would provide one for, I think, $135 for each flight segment.  Too expensive. 

Any thoughts on how to convince the airline to let me have the O2 for free (or cheaper) or bring my own?

IP Logged

Pixie-elf
CH.com Hall of Famer

I've tried the rest, and
busting is the best!

Beaumont,Tx
Re: O2 on a plane
Reply #1 - Feb 20th, 2009 at 10:58pm

I have no idea, I just wanted to say...
....watch out for the snakes.

As far as I'm concerned, cluster busting has been the best treatment I've tried. No migraines since I started it, and my hits have gotten so much better. Wanna know more?
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

It's saved my life.

IP Logged

Guiseppi
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

San Diego to Florida 05-16-2011

SAN DIEGO, CALIFORNIA USA
Reply #2 - Feb 20th, 2009 at 11:34pm

That was a HORRIBLE movie! Grin

I've never even tried to bring 02 on a plane. I assumed they'd say no. I always have imitrex injectables with me for flights. If I'm taking a vacation while in cycle, I'll sweet talk the doc into a pred taper just to make sure my trip's not ruined by getting hammered by the beast the whole time.

Good luck.

Joe

"Somebody had to say it" is usually a piss poor excuse to be mean.

IP Logged

Brew
CH.com Sponsor
CH.com Alumnus

Reply #3 - Feb 21st, 2009 at 8:52am

You can also have your O2 company arrange to have it delivered to you at your destination. The same terms should apply as far as payments goes.

Methinks you're going to have to find another abortive for the time you're on the aircraft.

"I have been asked if I have changed in these past 25 years. No, I am the same. Only more so."  --Ayn Rand

IP Logged

Ray
CH.com Alumnus

Ray

Columbus, Ohio
Reply #4 - Feb 21st, 2009 at 12:16pm

Dear Dazee:

The airline cannot supply the oxygen equipment for you at any price.  They will NOT allow you to bring your equipment on board the aircraft.  On the sign that shows a list of prohibited items, Oxidizers (oxygen) is prohibited.  Airlines can supply a canula and a tank at 2 liter per minute flow for that high fee.

You will need to rely on a different abortive, perhaps a nasal spray or injectable triptan.

If your oxygen supplier is a national chain, or has relationships with other national suppliers, they can probably set up something to be picked up at the airport on the day you arrive.

Let us know how it works out.

Wishing you well,

Ray

You have my prayers and compassion-I'm right there with you.

Dum tempus habemus, operemur bonum

*While we have the time, let us do good*

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
WWW raymond.schwartz759 rayplace raymond.schwartz759 raymond759  
IP Logged

DennisM1045
CH.com Alumnus

One wave at a time!

Haverhill, Massachusetts, USA
Reply #5 - Feb 22nd, 2009 at 10:16am

I always get slammed when I fly.  It usually hits within a half hour of landing.  What do is to take a Frovatriptan (Frova) about 3 hours before I know I'm gonna land.

Frova is a long acting triptan with a half life of 26 hours.  It'll buy you a whole day of relief.  However it's not an abortive because it has a 3 hour onset of action.  The hit is over before the med kicks in.

But for this one instance, air travel, it's my magic bullet!!!

-Dennis-

Where there is life, there is hope.
Where there is Oxygen, you must use proper caution.
So be safe, don't smoke while using O2. Kill the pain and not yourself.
dennism1045 dennism1045 524417261 DennisM1045 DennisM1045  
IP Logged

midwestbeth
CH.com Sponsor

Edwardsville, IL
Reply #6 - Feb 22nd, 2009 at 11:21am

I also recommend Frova.  When I first started getting ch and was doing alot of traveling, Frova got me through the flights pf.  It is pretty expensive, so maybe you could ask your Dr. for some samples to try.

Good luck and may your trip be pf!

Beth

edit because I can't spell my name
« Last Edit: Feb 22nd, 2009 at 11:22am by midwestbeth »  

Dum vita est spes est
midwestbeth midwestbeth http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?ref=profile&id  
IP Logged

icedragon
Ex Member

Reply #7 - Feb 22nd, 2009 at 12:11pm

You could try different airlines to see what they are willing to do for you.  The TSA website explains it better than I can:

IP Logged

dazee
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #8 - Feb 24th, 2009 at 8:42pm

Ya'll are so nice to give me this information.  I've taken Frova before, and it's been effective as a preventative, so I'll see if I can get some samples.

I'm having a pf Mardi Gras.  I hope you have one, too.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!