Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
memory loss (Read 1349 times)
bird
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

memory loss
Feb 20th, 2009 at 5:11pm

Does anyone here suffer memory loss days and hours after an attack? My husband has gone from a photograph memory to an almost alzhimer like memory. :-*

IP Logged

Marc
Ex Member

Re: memory loss
Reply #1 - Feb 20th, 2009 at 7:02pm

Memory loss to that degree is not generally a component of CH. I cannot speak for others, but I’ve certainly never had this problem. Have you/he discussed this with his Neurologist? They may want to see a fresh MRI/MRA to rule out dangerous stuff - again, depending upon the severity.

Is it possible that it’s more like being totally absorbed in the pain? That I could see!

IP Logged

BlueMeanie
Ex Member

Reply #2 - Feb 20th, 2009 at 7:57pm

Has he ever had an MRI or CatScan. I noticed you wrote in another thread that he also has vertigo. Sounds like the situation may need checking out. I don't believe memory loss or vertigo fits the CH condition. Does he have slurred speech and/or any face or arm numbness ? Hope he gets things sorted out.
« Last Edit: Feb 20th, 2009 at 8:56pm by N/A »  

IP Logged

Charlotte
CH.com Alumnus

Patterson,California
Reply #3 - Feb 20th, 2009 at 9:31pm

I do get memory loss, but i have other kinds of headaches too that may contribute.  Also, I had what I thought was vertigo but it was just a surging feeling in my temple, not true vertigo.

Most docs & neuros want to do tests to eliminate other conditions that could be life threatening.  It is better to err on the side of caution here.

Good luck.

Charlotte

« Last Edit: Feb 20th, 2009 at 9:32pm by Charlotte »  

IP Logged

Jonny
Ex Member

Reply #4 - Feb 20th, 2009 at 9:42pm

I was chronic for 31 years, I would love to forget some the shit I have done!

But nope!

IP Logged

on my knees
Ex Member

Reply #5 - Feb 20th, 2009 at 10:42pm

the only memory loss i get was form the topamax and gabapetin

IP Logged

ANNSIE
Ex Member

Reply #6 - Feb 21st, 2009 at 12:58am

Are you talking about long term or short term memory loss ? and is it about things that happened during or immediately around the time of the hit or even when he is pain free?

Memory loss during painfree time ( ie between hits ) especially long term memory loss is not caused by CH. Short term memory loss is possible especially around the time of a hit, and is more likely to be influenced by the pain.

Is this your husband first cycle ? If not did he have the same problem in the previous cycles ?

I hope the hit stops soon. Painfree wishes to you and your husband.

IP Logged

BarbaraD
CH.com Alumnus

Hugs to ya

Douglasville, TX
Reply #7 - Feb 21st, 2009 at 4:08am

I'm not sure what meds he's taking, but sometimes the meds can cause some memory loss (usually short term) topamax is known for this.

I do have a lot of memory loss, but then again I'm OLD and just blame it on that. I use a lot of post it notes (seriously). He might try that. It's worked for me for years.

A CAT or MRI might not be a bad idea, but check the meds first. It may be something that simple.

Hugs BD

What don't kill ya, Makes ya stronger!

IP Logged

Blue_eyes
CH.com Junior

One day at a time

Minneapolis, MN.
Reply #8 - Feb 21st, 2009 at 9:52am

When I first started using Gabapentin I was having short term memory loss, it lasted maybe a month I have been fine since though.

Blue_eyes  
IP Logged

Bob Johnson
CH.com Alumnus

"Only the educated are
free." -Epictetus

Kennett Square, PA (USA)
Reply #9 - Feb 21st, 2009 at 11:27am

Any memory loss longer than a day or two may be either medication related and/or needs doc's attention.
========

Curr Pain Headache Rep. 2005 Apr;9(2):109-12.   
Cognitive processing in cluster headache.

Evers S.

Department of Neurology, University of Munster, Albert-Schweitzer-Str. 33, 48129 Munster, Germany. everss@uni-muenster.de.

[Edited for length.] In neuropsychologic evaluations, a reversible decline of memory processing was detected during the cluster attack, but not between two attacks. Long-term observation revealed no progressive cognitive decline in cluster headache patients over the years. With regard to personality changes, a liability susceptibility to anxiety disorders and to hypochondriasis, but not to mood changes, has been described inconsistently. All changes in alterations of cognitive processing in cluster headache are demonstrated to be mild and do not relevantly contribute to the clinical picture of this disease.

Publication Types:
Review

PMID: 15745620 [PubMed]

Bob Johnson

IP Logged

deltadarlin
CH.com Alumnus

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Downsville LA
Reply #10 - Feb 21st, 2009 at 12:25pm

Don't have ch, but do have migraines and those migraines that get out of control have caused me to have bouts anomic aphasia (scared the bejesus out of me too until I found out that it can be part and parcel of severe migraines).

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

IP Logged

Ellick
CH.com Veteran

ET found here.

x1|Aylesbury|UK
Reply #11 - Feb 22nd, 2009 at 6:35am

If memory loss is severe or a marked change you need to rule out an organic reason first.

Memory is by and large a process of association coupled with selective attention. I.e you select out what you dont need. This is different for everyone. For example a person who is deaf will have difficulty in selecting sounds.

During Ch attacks the pain is such that focus is usually complete on the intensity and the amelioration. It follows that you are not likely to select too much going on around you at that time. It does not affect selection and association inbetween hits or in times of remission.

You need a medical evaluation as soon as you can.

I hope you get some helpful answers and he gets freedom from pain.

Best wishes,

Ellick

ET

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!