Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Cold Virus a trigger? (Read 2697 times)
Kimmie
CH.com Veteran

OW!!

US
Cold Virus a trigger?
Feb 20th, 2009 at 1:32pm

I have a cold/virus. Things coming out both ends. Yesterday my CH came back after a pf year. No question is a dumb question, so can a virus be a trigger?
Talk about DOUBLE WHAMMY!! Smiley

To accept the challenge is the destiny of leadership.
WWW kimberlydismuke  
IP Logged

Jeannie
CH.com Sponsor

Live, Laugh, Love....

St Louis, Missouri
Re: Cold Virus a trigger?
Reply #1 - Feb 20th, 2009 at 1:39pm

Hi Kimmie,

Sometimes I will get hit when ill with something.... even when out of cycle.  It is usually not a very strong CH but CH non-the-less.

I hope this is just a rouge hit for you and that you are well and back to being PF!

Jeannie

"It's all a grand illusion when you think you're in control." ~ Kenny Chesney

IP Logged

Kimmie
CH.com Veteran

OW!!

US
Reply #2 - Feb 20th, 2009 at 2:08pm

Oh that would be wonderful...still feel a little shadowy though. I've taken 37.5mg paxil, 30mg remeron at night, 4 img xanax a day for 6 years for anxiety disorder. I'm thinking tonight i may half the remeron and add a couple of my children's 5mg melatonin also, so that maybe i wont be knocked out so bad from the remeron that i wake up in time to abort.

WWW kimberlydismuke  
IP Logged

Jeannie
CH.com Sponsor

Live, Laugh, Love....

St Louis, Missouri
Reply #3 - Feb 20th, 2009 at 2:17pm

I hope it works for you.  I shadow a while after a rouge hit too. Sometimes I'll have a couple then nothing after that.  I sure hope that's the case for you!

Jeannie

IP Logged

ANNSIE
Ex Member

Reply #4 - Feb 20th, 2009 at 2:57pm

Yes, a cold virus can be a trigger. A cold often affects the sinus, which in turn can affect the trigeminal nerve. A cold can cause inflammatory responses and inflammation is bad news for CH.

My late husband first cycle started with a bad cold and a sinus infection, and I have heard of others reporting the same.

Rest well, sleep well, drink lots of fluid, take extra vitamins and treat the symptoms of the cold properly and hopefully it will end just like that.

Painfree wishes to you.

IP Logged

GrandPotentate
CH.com Old Timer

mmmmmmmmmm

Michigan City, IN  USA
Reply #5 - Feb 21st, 2009 at 7:41am

I've wondered about that too.  My last cycle came right after I recovered from a bad cold.  But I don't know if it was the cold, the meds, or simply just coincidence.

Hope things are improving for you.

Jon

IP Logged

cyberone
CH.com Junior

melbourne, AUST
Reply #6 - Feb 21st, 2009 at 8:18am

my first cycle started after influenza,....
now if i even have a touch of a cold ill be headache crazy for
at least two weeks....

IP Logged

Ellick
CH.com Veteran

ET found here.

x1|Aylesbury|UK
Reply #7 - Feb 21st, 2009 at 9:37am

My cycle this year was after flu. My cycle always began in january for about 5 years and then gradually moved to late May.

I had been having heavy shadows for about one month before I had the flu and noticed them more afterwards.

The cycle full blown was kicked off after taking a tablet form of decongestant. Nasal spray also triggered attacks later in the cycle.

Hope you get past it quickly.

Best wishes,

Ellick.

ET

IP Logged

GrandPotentate
CH.com Old Timer

mmmmmmmmmm

Michigan City, IN  USA
Reply #8 - Feb 21st, 2009 at 9:42am

I had an odd spell two weeks ago.  I'm not sure if it was a cold that started it, but it could be best described as a 24hr kip2.  It was all on the right side, the incredible half-runny nose, tearing, etc.  Everything except the big pain and short duration.  I would gladly take a dozen of those over a real hit.  

Jon

Jon

IP Logged

Blue_eyes
CH.com Junior

One day at a time

Minneapolis, MN.
Reply #9 - Feb 21st, 2009 at 9:47am

Colds always trigger my clusters,I don't know about the flu I have never had it.

Blue_eyes  
IP Logged

Kimmie
CH.com Veteran

OW!!

US
Reply #10 - Feb 23rd, 2009 at 2:18am

day 4...well 5 now considering its 1am. gotten worse. about 4 hits a day. constant shadows. out of abortives. Not thinking cleary. need sleep, cant eat hardly anything. On the bright side- 1st bath tonightin 4 days right after a hit and aborted with my laast trex.

WWW kimberlydismuke  
IP Logged

gmann11
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Bedford Texas
Reply #11 - Feb 23rd, 2009 at 3:56am

I just woke up with a headache myself.  This makes about 25 days straight of 4 headaches a day...  I am getting to the point were I am nervous to goto sleep. 

Gary

IP Logged

Karla
CH.com Alumnus

One of Many and Never
Alone - Join OUCH

x1|Madison WI USA
Reply #12 - Feb 23rd, 2009 at 7:15am

colds and flu always a trigger for me.  As well as heat and barometric changes like rain or snow.

Karla&&suffer chronic ch &&ch.com groupie since 1999&&Proud Mom of Chris USMC Semper Fi
Karlak_1313  
IP Logged

Kimmie
CH.com Veteran

OW!!

US
Reply #13 - Feb 23rd, 2009 at 1:34pm

whoah Gary!! 25 days and your just now getting afraid to go to sleep? I'm a big weany!! I get scared on the first day of my cycle! Smiley

WWW kimberlydismuke  
IP Logged

gmann11
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Bedford Texas
Reply #14 - Feb 23rd, 2009 at 1:44pm

I usually wake up 15 minutes before it gets bad. I take 50 mg of imitrex and it gets bad but only for about 10 minutes.. by then the imitrex starts taking the edge off... I can usually go back to sleep within 40 minutes.  My biggest fear is not having the imitrex. I am going to the doctor in an hour to talk him into the injections and the 02 treatment.  I drank caffeine with my headache this morning at around 2 am.... it helped a lot... problem was I could not get back to sleep till 4:30

Gary

IP Logged

Jeannie
CH.com Sponsor

Live, Laugh, Love....

St Louis, Missouri
Reply #15 - Feb 23rd, 2009 at 1:52pm

Gary and Kimmie,

Big hugs to you both.  I wish I could offer more than my support and prayers for PF days for both of you. 

Jeannie

IP Logged

gmann11
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Bedford Texas
Reply #16 - Feb 23rd, 2009 at 6:15pm

Well I just got back from my doctor.  He gave me a steroid shot. Had me buy zyrtec and zantac. I am taking Treximat, amytriptalyne, verapamil, predisone & vicodin now.  All I asked for was oxygen.   I am giving this 3 days, if it is not better I am finding someone who listens.

IP Logged

gmann11
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Bedford Texas
Reply #17 - Feb 25th, 2009 at 4:32pm

1st of all thank you very much Jeannie for your prayers and Kimmie I hope and pray that you find some pf days.  I have been PF since my last visit to the doctor with  very minor shadows.  I have figured out that I can get O2 from a welding supplier if I have to. But right now I am doing very very good.  God Bless everyone on this website, I know what your going through and I wish you all the very best!!

Gary

IP Logged

Melissa
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

Don't give up!

Central WI, USA
Reply #18 - Feb 25th, 2009 at 5:29pm

I'd say yes, lol.  My head started acting up about 4 or 5 days ago (not with the CH, I've had that 7 weeks now) and it's given me constant K2-4pain.  Today I started medicating the head cold and taking Zicam.  I also took a Benedryl last night after waking with attacks for the 3rd time. 

As of now, the pain isn't entirely gone, but I'm doing 95% better!  I'm almost hopeful I won't get woken up tonight with a CH, but we are in for a bad snow storm (up to 9"), so my positive outlook might get squashed. Undecided

Diseases can be our spiritual flat tires - disruptions in our lives that seem to be disasters at the time but end by redirecting our lives in a meaningful way.  ~Bernie S. Siegel
https://www.facebook.com/mellymoo92  
IP Logged

Kimmie
CH.com Veteran

OW!!

US
Reply #19 - Feb 26th, 2009 at 12:04pm

i dont know what day i'm on...i think 7. Ran out of trex this morning. Called in for more and receptionist barked at me on the phone this morning saying "You know you had an appointment yesterday". I said HELL YA I knew!!! I'm sorry for inconveniencing you guys while i rock back and forth in pain and am afraid to leave the house. I have so much pressure on my left side, i swear i can hear my brain Smiley and when i swallow my ears pop. I've went through all my wet rags, and have resorted to wetting down tee shirts. No, I have not done laundry....or cooked. The barometric pressure here is wild. 80 degrees one day, 50 the next. Anyone still in cycle, or am i the only nuggett left?

WWW kimberlydismuke  
IP Logged

sheep2blue
CH.com Junior

x0|lavina|USA||0|0|MT,Montana
Reply #20 - Feb 26th, 2009 at 12:21pm

Hey Kimmie
No, you aren't the only one.  So sorry you're having a bad time.  I can't remember if you tried the 02.  But hang in there.  It will get better. 
If you could get there, you could take your head and stand in front of the rude person who was abrupt with you on the phone. 

But do hang in there.  We have all felt that way and can sympathize.
T

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!