Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Fitness (Read 682 times)
Ellick
CH.com Veteran

ET found here.

x1|Aylesbury|UK
Fitness
Feb 20th, 2009 at 6:07am

Outside of CH I am fairly fit. I train in martial arts, cycle and walk.

For the last 3 years I have used verapamil and weaned off slowly the last two episodes.

I don't really know how to get back into training again in respect of either still being on verapamil or weaned off  it. I am worried about speeding my heart up again when it has been slowed down for 2 months.

When I am drug free I use a herbal remedy to keep my heart healthy called crataegus.

In truth I don't know what if anything the positive and negative effects of all this means.

Can anyone help with ideas views information about when to start training again, how to approach it and the safeguards necessary. I suppose that the weaning off verapamil is also something I need to know more about. I note that some people seem to come off it quite quickly and others slowly. The medical advice I have had is to do it very slowly. I reduce my dosage by 40 mg a week which means I am weaning off for about 13 weeks !

If I have two episodes a year that means I am either in cyle or weaning off verapamil for 42 weeks a year! So I can train for 10 weeks a year! Doesn't seem worth it.

Thanks,

Ellick.

ET

IP Logged

seasonalboomer
CH.com Hall of Famer

CH messes with my isness

Charlotte, NC
Re: Fitness
Reply #1 - Feb 20th, 2009 at 6:28am

Ellick,

While I don't use the standard CH preventatives, I have been a marathon runner for the past 6 or so years.

My guess is that any doctor will tell you what I would say. Take it slow and gradually build up. I find that the training process is best charted.
Essentially, "I am going to start doing this for 10 minutes each day and build on it by 5 minute increments at such and such point". Till, you eventually, at "point B" find yourself close to your previous level of fitness.

Take it slow and gradually build up.

Scott

Scott

IP Logged

seasonalboomer
CH.com Hall of Famer

CH messes with my isness

Charlotte, NC
Reply #2 - Feb 20th, 2009 at 6:29am

Ellick,

While I don't use the standard CH preventatives, I have been a marathon runner for the past 6 or so years.

My guess is that any doctor will tell you what I would say. Take it slow and gradually build up. I find that the training process is best charted.
Essentially, "I am going to start doing this for 10 minutes each day and build on it by 5 minute increments at such and such point". Till, you eventually, at "point B" find yourself close to your previous level of fitness.

Take it slow and gradually build up.

Scott

Scott

IP Logged

DennisM1045
CH.com Alumnus

One wave at a time!

Haverhill, Massachusetts, USA
Reply #3 - Feb 20th, 2009 at 11:33am

Excellent advice Scott.

I use Verapamil too.  However don't let it stop you from working out.  The only thing you need to do is adjust your expectations for target heart rate. 

Without Verapamil my target HR for an eliptical trainer is around 150bpm.  When I'm on Verapamil it's 120bpm.  Both levels of exercise "feel" the same to me.  It's just that my HR is lower.

This took a bit of experimenting and frustration to arrive at.  I'm sure YMMV.

Like Scott said, just take it slow and steady  Wink

-Dennis-

Where there is life, there is hope.
Where there is Oxygen, you must use proper caution.
So be safe, don't smoke while using O2. Kill the pain and not yourself.
dennism1045 dennism1045 524417261 DennisM1045 DennisM1045  
IP Logged

Jeannie
CH.com Sponsor

Live, Laugh, Love....

St Louis, Missouri
Reply #4 - Feb 20th, 2009 at 1:12pm

Ellick,

I also take Verap.  I love to exercise!  I have to admit that it is much harder for me though, during a cycle.  The Verap makes me tired and sluggish.  I feel frustrated when I can't get my heart rate up.  Not to mention that exercise seems to be a trigger for me! 

Taking it slow and adjusting my workout is all a I can do.   It's just another way the beast tries to win.  I try not to let him!

PF wishes!

Jeannie

"It's all a grand illusion when you think you're in control." ~ Kenny Chesney

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!