Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
One CH hypothesis, presentation and discussion (Read 16251 times)
ANNSIE
Ex Member

Re: One CH hypothesis, presentation and discussion
Reply #50 - Feb 23rd, 2009 at 12:36pm

Monty and Gonzalo,

From your own personal experience, have you found/noticed significant improvement of your CH when consuming tryptophan rich food ?

If you have, is there a particular combination/list of food that you found to be reliably effective ? What is the time frame you recommend  for such diet change ?

Thanks for sharing.

IP Logged

monty
CH.com Hall of Famer

The Swamp, Florida
Reply #51 - Feb 23rd, 2009 at 1:23pm

I have been in remission for a while, and have only been recently researching this aspect of the food strategy for raising tryptophan/serotonin.

I have experienced improvement of CH symptoms from 5-htp, an amino acid derivative that is a serotonin precursor. Others have tried it, some seem to benefit, others report an increase in hits from it. There are also studies on the benefits of 5-htp and migraine, particularly migraine with aura (which I also get from time to time). Whether or not that can be extrapolated to CH or not, I don't know ... maybe a subset of people with CH.  

Up until 2004, I had an undiagnosed/misdiagnosed fructose intolerance. Since I have corrected my diet to account for that, I have seen a big improvement in depressive symptoms, and have been in remission for CH. (I do not claim to know why I am in remission - improving tryptophan could be a factor, or maybe it is a coincidence. There were other changes at that time, including a change of jobs that led to better sleep hygeine.)

I found out about the fructose intolerance sorta by accident - my panic attacks (which were daily) turned off on day 2 of a low-carb diet. Over time, I lost some weight, felt better, and started re-introducing carbs to my diet ... eventually the day came to splurge on a cola, and the GI distress that someone called IBS came back immediately, and the panic started a few hours later. Abstaining led to normalcy, challenges with soft drinks or large amounts of fruit led to a return of the GI and nervous system symptoms.

Bottom line opinion - I think some people might see CH benefits from dietary improvement of tryptophan availability, but it is still speculative. The literature on diet, tryptophan and mood suggest a benefit for some common co-morbities like anxiety and depression. I think if it is combined with other things (changes in microbial ecology for less tryptophanase and reduced neuroimmune activation, inhibition of IDO in the brain, enhancing 5ht1 while inhibiting 5ht2, changes in light exposure, etc), then maybe it could be good for some of us. But not sure yet.

« Last Edit: Feb 23rd, 2009 at 1:26pm by monty »  

The outer boundary of what we currently believe is feasible is far short of what we actually must do.

IP Logged

monty
CH.com Hall of Famer

The Swamp, Florida
Reply #52 - Feb 23rd, 2009 at 1:42pm

Note also, while there are many people that believe that 5-htp helps migraine (and articles to support this), the consensus seems to be that SSRIs don't do much for migraine.  Whether or not this transfers over to clusters, I don't know. But it does lend some support to previous ideas that SSRIs are somewhat different than raising serotonin everywhere.

The outer boundary of what we currently believe is feasible is far short of what we actually must do.

IP Logged

Gonzalo
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

Reply #53 - Feb 24th, 2009 at 1:12am

Hello, Pixie-Elf

Second, there's a thread on here titled Why don't we pay attention to this? It's referring specifically to how testosterone imbalance can effect CH. You might want to read it... I don't know if testosterone has any effect on serotonin, but it might be something to look at.

Absolutely, I have already taked a look. Time ago I was seeing and reading about this and many other neurotransmitters and hormones. But for now I agree that we can agree on specific issues relating to this hypothese and I sincerely believe that the next step would be to study the relationship between the sympathetic and parasympathetic system, and there is also growth hormone (HGH), which seems to me that is more involved than any other in our processes. There will be time for everything ...

With regard to vitamin A, or any other substance to be used outside of the thresholds tested and safe, I did not consider. I will live with this forty years and all my struggle is precisely not to consume drugs or unhealthy substances, as far as possible. Although it may seem incredible, and even stupid, I've never taken any medicine prescribed for the CH.

Monty, your meal post is wonderful. It's difficult to translate food diets and names from continent to continent, but we will. And I think this issue is close to short, write and follow road. And I propose that the following is the path of kynurenina, ie how to avoid it. Hence in principle we have just two elements: the 2.3-tryptophan dihidroxigenasa (T-pirrolasa) and indolamina 2.3-dihidrooxigenasa. And the rebound B3. When you want..., or if you prefer to start by way of serotonin, as desired.

Annsie, hello.

Yes I've tried the diet, in fact, this was the really first thing I tried with CH. I noticed that the improvements were quite minimal, in fact, just to verify that the CH was not untouchable and I take illusion to learn more. The next thing I tried was vitamins and there, yes, you feel that much, then, after, I tried vitamins with and without  diet, and no difference noted, I forgot about the diet. And never do it now.

I will insist that I think it is okay to set some basic data on this, and to be followed a few days just to make sure that the normal diet was valid. I know about some people that use diet with very good results, but all of them combined with a host of other products, making it impossible to make assessments.

Finally, there is no question of changing the diet. The idea, in my view, one thing is to try to provide an improved tryptophan couple of hours before the crisis and see if there is a result or not. I have my crisis at night and tooked a steak turkey dinner with a dessert banana for a few days for testing. Just that.

But more important than make a "good " diet is to know how evitate to make a "bad" diet.

Regards.

IP Logged

Gonzalo
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

Reply #54 - Feb 24th, 2009 at 1:28am

Summary of Assumptions

This scheme will serve as a benchmark for the discussion and must be completed as various items contained are discussed.

Bases of the hypothesis

1) The trigeminal nerve is extremely sensitive in patients with CH and ignites more easily from the normal.
   2) The levels of serotonin are crucial for controlling the cycles of crisis and the need for action on its specific receptors responsible for vasoconstriction in the cranial vessels.

Actions based on theoretical assumptions

1) Prevent or reduce inflammation

A) To improve the overall fitness of the nerve
    B) Avoid physical damage to the nerve
    C) To avoid an excessive and continuous expansion of the cranial vessels
    D) To promote the constriction of cranial vessels

2) Increasing the production of serotonin

A) Increase the availability of the precursor tryptophan
    B) Reduce the metabolism of tryptophan to different pathways than the serotonin pathway.
    C) Improving the production of serotonin improving it pathway of tryptophan metabolites

3) To reduce losses or decreases in serotonin

A) Outstanding (MAOI ?...)

4) Avoid storage of serotonin increasing free serotonin

A) Outstanding (SSRI's ....)

5) Improve the effectiveness of serotonin available

A) Outstanding (receivers ...)

IP Logged

Kevin_M
CH.com Sponsor

withered branches grow
green again.

Michigan, USA
Reply #55 - Feb 24th, 2009 at 6:29am

I'm not inclined to be medically-minded and so am still stuck back here, basically your first post.

Gonzalo wrote on Feb 24th, 2009 at 1:28am:
1) The trigeminal nerve is extremely sensitive in patients with CH and ignites more easily from the normal.

This seems like a strange occurence.  Is there any other one-sidedness sensitivity that evolves like clusters in another medical condition?  Why does this seem so original?

Quote:
The determination of whether damage is due to friction with the bone structure, damage or sensitivity of the neurons themselves, or any other cause, is outside of this dissertation.

I realize this has been skipped for now, but this cause is elusive still.

Quote:
However, it is public knowledge that a patient may suffer a CR of a sudden crisis, or even start a cycle, by a direct action on the trigeminal nerve or its branches. Examples include oral infections, extractions mouth parts, the mere application of a pre-anesthesia tronculares manipulation, otitis and even trauma. If a direct action on the trigeminal nerve can cause a crisis immediately, without any intervention by neurochemical processes, we must conclude that the trigeminal nerve is damaged in some way.

I'm not so aware of the public knowledge mentioned, more familiar with a cyclical nature, and can understand an artery up there as a direct action creating the second circumstance.  While both perplexing, does this one-sided trigeminal damage, sensitivity, have a precendent?  The fact it occurs on the same side as the cranial vessel's direct action would make it seem a conjunctive mechanism at work, as opposed to separate.  This would be accepting the damaged nerve portion of basis.

Quote:
...thus creating a feedback system during the crisis.

To mention, I cut this sentence to only the part that raised an eyebrow of previously suspected agreeability, without quite understanding more.  

IP Logged

ANNSIE
Ex Member

Reply #56 - Feb 24th, 2009 at 7:14am

Kevin_M wrote on Feb 24th, 2009 at 6:29am:
I'm not inclined to be medically-minded and so am still stuck back here, basically your first post.

Gonzalo wrote on Feb 24th, 2009 at 1:28am:

This seems like a strange occurence.  Is there any other one-sidedness sensitivity that evolves like clusters in another medical condition?  Why does this seem so original?

Gonzalo, I agree with Kevin.

My biggest problem with your hypothesis is that if what you said above is true, then all CHers should have symptoms of trigeminal neuralgia, but we dont.

One of the most striking feature of trigeminal neuralgia is the severe pain caused by chewing, while in CH the pain is only present and severe during a hit. Outside a hit, a CHer can chew without feeling pain.

It doesnt seem that in CHers, the trigeminal nerve is extremely sensitive nor damaged.

IP Logged

Gonzalo
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

Reply #57 - Feb 24th, 2009 at 2:21pm

Hello, Kevin_M, Annsie

I feel I must clarify what is a clear misunderstanding. To do this, I quote the definition of the word hypothesis, according to the Royal Academy of Spanish, and an approximate translation, as well as othe definition that I found in English.

"Hipótesis: suposición de algo posible o imposible para sacar de ello una consecuencia" (Assuming something possible or impossible to get a result of this)

"A tentative assumption made in order to draw out and test its logical or empirical consequences"

The hypothesis may be false, unreal and improbable or even impossible. Can hypothesize that one imagine anything. What is important is the discussion it caused. This discussion may seem absurd to anyone, useless, interesting, or anything else, and during it we can do all sorts of allegations, all that is therein; discuss everything … everything but the validity of the hypothesis which is out of the discussion, it’s the starting point of the discussion.

If I could justify all that’s said in the approach of the hypothesis, then it would not be a scenario, I would be stating a theory, but it is not.

I raised this way just to skip this, the eternal discussion of the primary cause of CH, still discussed by doctors and scientists to fully enter into the discussion of the serotonin pathways, which is a subject that at a practical level I believe can be helpful.

Regards.

IP Logged

monty
CH.com Hall of Famer

The Swamp, Florida
Reply #58 - Feb 24th, 2009 at 2:55pm

Quote:
My biggest problem with your hypothesis is that if what you said above is true, then all CHers should have symptoms of trigeminal neuralgia, but we dont.

CH has been classified as a type of trigeminal neuralgia - intermittent, to be sure, of a different frequency than classic trigeminal neuralgia, but a case where there is undoubtedly trigeminal nerve pain.

The trigeminal is getting inputs from the brain,and from peripheral areas. It processes those inputs, and then fires when the threshold is reached.

I think that was distinguishes CH from classical TN is that the hypothalamus is the strongest driver in clusters, while peripheral is more important in classic TN. In classic TN, triggers include brushing the hair, touching the face, yawning.

But peripheral input could be a factor in CH- allergies, rhinovirus infections, TMJ jaw issues, neuromuscular lesions, etc are all suspect in some people.

The trigeminal could be damaged and still function adequately under normal circumstances. It only becomes obviously dysfunctional when 'stress' hits a certain level.
« Last Edit: Feb 24th, 2009 at 3:29pm by monty »  

IP Logged

ANNSIE
Ex Member

Reply #59 - Feb 24th, 2009 at 3:45pm

Gonzalo wrote on Feb 24th, 2009 at 2:21pm:
Hello, Kevin_M, Annsie

I feel I must clarify what is a clear misunderstanding. ...

The hypothesis may be false, unreal and improbable or even impossible.  ..... ; discuss everything … everything but the validity of the hypothesis which is out of the discussion, it’s the starting point of the discussion.

Regards.

Thats not how a hypothesis is presented Gonzalo.

A hypothesis needs to have some solid base from which it can be defended. A hypothesis can be proven correct or incorrect after a long and thorough discussion and examination, but it can also be thrown out relatively quickly if it is not based on something fundamentally sound, at least partially.

The validity of a hypothesis needs to be established first before any subsequent discussion can make sense. Whats the point of discussing something that is not even valid ?

I am not saying that your hypothesis is invalid at this stage, I am just pointing out the big hole that it has in its fundamental fabrication.

IP Logged

ANNSIE
Ex Member

Reply #60 - Feb 24th, 2009 at 3:57pm

monty wrote on Feb 24th, 2009 at 2:55pm:
Quote:

CH has been classified as a type of trigeminal neuralgia - intermittent, to be sure, of a different frequency than classic trigeminal neuralgia, but a case where there is undoubtedly trigeminal nerve pain.

The trigeminal is getting inputs from the brain,and from peripheral areas. It processes those inputs, and then fires when the threshold is reached.

I think that was distinguishes CH from classical TN is that the hypothalamus is the strongest driver in clusters, while peripheral is more important in classic TN. In classic TN, triggers include brushing the hair, touching the face, yawning.

But peripheral input could be a factor in CH- allergies, rhinovirus infections, TMJ jaw issues, neuromuscular lesions, etc are all suspect in some people.

The trigeminal could be damaged and still function adequately under normal circumstances. It only becomes obviously dysfunctional when 'stress' hits a certain level.

You are missing the point here Flo. I am not saying that CH does not have trigeminal neuralgic pain. What I am saying is that CH does not have symptoms of a damaged trigeminal nerve. It is the hypothalamus that is malfunctioning not the trigeminal nerve.

Gonzalo's hypothesis "requires" the trigeminal nerve to be damaged and therefore extra sensitive to any and all signals.

I am saying that in CH the trigeminal does not have to be damaged at all but can still fire abnormal signals because its control centre is off.

Gonzalo's hypothesis focusses on the trigeminal nerve as the centre of action in CH and he speculates that by " supporting " a damaged and oversensitive TN with various varying factors will help CH.

I on the other hand says that the TN is only a small player in the picture of CH. It is the pineal gland and the hypothalamus we should focus on. If those 2 glands are malfunctioning, then no matter how much we "nurture" the TN its going to fire abnormally in a hit.

IP Logged

Gonzalo
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

Reply #61 - Feb 25th, 2009 at 12:41am

Proposal of resume for the 2A.

2) Increasing the production of serotonin
   A) Increase the availability of the precursor tryptophan

Tryptophan is an amino acid that must necessarily be consumed in the diet because the body can not synthesize it from other substances. Tryptophan, once absorbed, needs a special mechanism of transport to access the brain, and to use this transportation disadvantaged in competing with other amino acids such as tyrosine, phenylalanine, leucine, isoleucine and valine (LNAAs). Thus, is as relevant the proportion tryptophan / LNNAs as the amount of tryptophan ingested. To improve access to transport for his arrival ingest before a carbohydrate and / or glucose. There is also a mechanism that is activated by an excess of tryptophan that increases its degradation preventing their processing to serotonin.

A Western diet outweigh the covers normal daily requirement of this amino acid, so that the ideal is not necessarily increase the amount of tryptophan, but taken with the low level of competition LNAAs possible, even better yet, away from food, thus be improved not only transportation but also its absorption.

The arrival of tryptophan to the brain may occur when adequately ingested ½ -2 hours, and remains 2 / 3 hours, so it is important to do the intake a couple of hours before the start of the crisis, for it is fully available at the time. Suffice it to take a banana, a small turkey sandwich with whole wheat, or a simple glass of milk, for example, at bedtime, to help lift standards in the first hours of sleep.

Of course, it can also be eaten directly as a dietary supplement. In this case, it remains valid the separation of the foods to avoid competition and improve the absorption and, in case of a long-time intake, the use of a protocol to start with higher doses, it decreased gradually and without any periodos free of intake to avoid the self-regulatory mechanisms.

More info and thoughts for meals in the post link **(to Monty post about)**

It's needed a clear disclaimer that left clear that this are just theoretical ideas from sufferers, not doc by doctors.

Now,
what's wrong?
what I missed?
what is in more?
It's clear or so technical?

and ...  Embarrassed after all that it will need an important tranlation clean I can't do....

IP Logged

monty
CH.com Hall of Famer

The Swamp, Florida
Reply #62 - Feb 25th, 2009 at 9:48am

Quote:
I on the other hand says that the TN is only a small player in the picture of CH. It is the pineal gland and the hypothalamus we should focus on. If those 2 glands are malfunctioning, then no matter how much we "nurture" the TN its going to fire abnormally in a hit.

That is a common perspective and there are many researchers focused on the hypothalamus.  I don't deny the importance of the hypothalamus, but think that the trigeminal itself is important. Reasons include:

1) Non-Hypothalamic cluster headache documented by Rozen.
2) Phantom clusters - all the autonomic symptoms, no pain from trigeminal.
3) Research that suggests that problems with trigeminal may be common in CH, and that improvement is seen if possible to treat trigeminal lesions.
4) Nerve blocks - they don't involve injections to the hypothalamus.
5) Myofascial therapy can be an effective treatment.
6) Association of clusters with sinus issues, TMJ jaw problems.
7) Immunology - trigeminal nerve more likely to be affected than hypothalamus by epstein-barr virus or other viruses that are more common in CH.

1) Rozen's work on this is preliminary, but worth considering, even if it is a minority of cases.

2) I have experienced phantom clusters, and I believe it is the hypothalamus going haywire, but the trigeminal does not respond by releasing pain inducing substances. If this is true, then it offers treatment options for the pain - not a complete therapy, but less excruciating agony.

3) See Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

4) Nerve blocks reduce peripheral inputs to other areas; the most effective is a sphenopalatine, which is part of the trigeminal nerve.

5) Myofascial therapy - recently show to help with CH. A reduction of peripheral inputs to trigeminal from muscles in head makes the most sense, the hypothalamus is not directly affected by such procedures, but the trigeminal is.

6) A ten year follow-up study on endonasal surgery for clusters found about 1/3 of patients who got surgery went into remission and were there for ten years, about 1/3 displayed marked improvement. The hypothalamus-centered theory cannot explain this. Not everyone with clusters has such contact points, but those who do seem to benefit benefit from treating them. Other related problems include chronic sinusitis, tmj ... my impression is that they are more common in CH, although there is not a lot of data on that.

So I am not trying to erase the role of the pineal and hypothalamus - they are important and clearly contribute. That is a very good explanation of the timing that many of us have for headaches. The hypothalamus is a source of input to the trigeminal that can make it scream.  But I think the immediate source of the pain is the trigeminal behind the eye, and this is important. Sometimes the trigeminal can scream bloody cluster even when the hypothalamus is quiet, and sometimes the hypothalamus is hitting the trigeminal full blast, but the trigeminal does not scream.
« Last Edit: Feb 25th, 2009 at 12:29pm by monty »  

IP Logged

monty
CH.com Hall of Famer

The Swamp, Florida
Reply #63 - Feb 26th, 2009 at 1:06pm

Gonzalo,

I think 2A is pretty good. I am assuming 2A is mostly diet related.

For 2B, there is IDO (indoleamine 2,3 dioxygenase) that can be blocked in the body, and bacterial tryptophanase that can be blocked in the gut.

IDO blockers:

Herbal
Propolis
Curcumin (turmeric/curry and extracts)
Rosmarinic Acid (lemon balm, rosemary)
(-)-Epigallocatechin gallate (green tea)
p-Coumaric acid (various herbs)
brassinin (broccoli, cabbage, related plants)

Prescription and experimental
Minocycline
Levo-1-methyl tryptophan
pyrrolidine dithiocarbamate (PDTC) ('antioxidant')
2-ME ('antioxidant')
ebselen ('antioxidant')
t-butyl hydroquinone ('antioxidant')

Things that increase IDO:
Interferon
Influenza
Toxoplasma infection
LPS (lip-poly-saccharide) from some bacteria
inflammation (?)
estrogen

Bacterial tryptophanase blocking:

Probiotic bacteria
« Last Edit: Feb 26th, 2009 at 1:07pm by monty »  

IP Logged

Gonzalo
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

Reply #64 - Feb 26th, 2009 at 11:28pm

Hey, Monty

Indeed, the 2A is only diet, and focused only on the availability of tryptophan, because the diet should be reviewed to other substances that may be beneficial or harmful in other ways.

you entered 2B, I was somewhat prepared 2C, so I let it posted and so we can discuss both at a time; most of the documents we'll read cover two questions together.

2B respect, you let me really surprised, does not have the slightest idea of what's what, but I'll learn. But two important things: first, is that not only is the IDO, also the 2.3-tryptophan dioxygenase (t-pyrrolase), hereinafter TDO, and not just to do the substances that block them ("good"), but those who powers them, too ("bad"). So we have four areas of work with the inhibitors/enhancers of IDO/TDO.

One final point about it: I believe that the path of the bacterial metabolism of tryptophan in the intestine did not affect us, in fact we know that 90% of serotonin is in it. I think we must focus in only the L-Tryptophan absorbed from the intestine to the bloodstream. You'll say.

Because these days I work a lot, I present 2C issue without too much depth, and I hope we will gradually deepen it. And here is:

In principle, as I said, the process is:

1) Tryptofhan + enzyme T-tryptophan hydroxylase (TPOH) + cofactor tetrahidrobiopterín => 5-Hydroxytryptophan (5HTP).

2) 5HTP + 5-Hydroxytryptophan decarboxylase + cofactor priridoxal phosphate => serotonin (5HT).

These are the direct factors, but there are many other indirect essential for any cause for the process. They are:

- Vitamin B2 (riboflavin)
- Iron
- Magnesium
- Vitamin C (ascorbic acid)
- Oxygen

I think the tetrahidrobiopterin deficit should not be considered, because its lack causes serious diseases, so it should be guaranteed levels. The rest of actors are:

TPOH.- In the process (1) tryptophan=> 5HTP acts as, and emphasize this many authors, limiting factor. It is in the air how to improve their standards or to prevent their relegation.
5-HTP decarboxylase. - No idea.
Vitamin B6 .- Essential to have pyridoxal phosphate.
Vitamin B2.- Essential to transform B6, pyridoxine phosphate, into pyridoxal phosphate.
Iron, magnesium.- It is said in many reviews, but I have not come to see the mechanism by which they operate.
Vitamin C.- It's said in many reviews, too, but I have not found the mechanism by which they operate. At least it is necessary to get the iron.
Oxygen.- Essential for the oxidation process (1). As I said, I believe that its importance extends to other important issues, as we'll see.

And it rest the possibilty of intake 5-HTP directly ...........

And I say something I thought while I was studying this about the 5-HTP intake: it's possible that people whose process (1) is reduced can see CH improved by the 5-HTP intake because finally they have it.
But other people with problems at process (2) due for example, in the absence of B2 and/or B6, were found with excessive levels of 5-HTP, their own plus the intaked, and since 5-HTP is a competitor of serotonin (like melatonin itself and other similar substances) by the same receptors, this would explain that they feel bad, they should have something similar to the symptoms of the hypersertoninérgic syndrome ... it would be nice to check the symptoms of those who have felt bad with 5-HTP.

Finally, if you, Monty (there's someone more ...?) could copy/paste and polish the 2A resume (of course you now I do my best, but that's not enough), I would like to insert it in the "resume". This way, with a link inserted in the first post to it, everybody could easily read latest "conclusions". Do you think it's a good idea?

Best regards

IP Logged

wagwoman
CH.com Newbie

Only the dead have seen
the end of the war.-Plato

Emsdale, Ontario
Reply #65 - Feb 28th, 2009 at 7:24pm

OK.

I read this entire thread.  What I did not understand, I investigated on the 'net.  (some I still did not understand, but........give me time).

One obvious question stood out in my mind..............(I am sure there is a good reason for this..............but I am a newbie)

Increasing serotonin..................no one has mentioned the benefits of exercise to increase serotonin levels.

While I know there is not 100% proof positive that exercise WILL increase serotonin levels, I find there is enough data to facilitate further study.

Personally, I know that my attacks are less frequent, and less severe, when I exercise................energetically................. at least one hour per day.

Perhaps this is just a personal observation, and not based on fact?

Debbie

My goal in life is to be as good a person as my dog already thinks I am.  -  Author unknown

IP Logged

Gonzalo
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

Reply #66 - Feb 28th, 2009 at 11:00pm

wagwoman wrote on Feb 28th, 2009 at 7:24pm:
Personally, I know that my attacks are less frequent, and less severe, when I exercise................energetically................. at least one hour per day.

Hello,

I think it's important to put on the table a formal summary of the data medium, substances and processes that affect serotonin before discussing, and I personally will enjoy doing it, about concrete situations. Such discussions might be to force us to delete or add things, or leave all or part undone.

Particularly with respect to the exercise, I have in mind, and I speak of memory, two contradictory data: the first is that physical exertion produces lack of oxygene, hypoxia, and cortisol is generated and this would produce T-pirrolasa so serotonin will decrease. The second is that if you practice a certain exercise intensity for space exceeding 30 minutes, the body activates a whole system of hormonal secretion, including growth (HGH), which completely alters the state after the exercise. But there must be intense and more than 30 minutes, otherwise there is no such download.

So a simple effort could call the beast, but the exercise seriously, it might scare. Who knows, we need to find and compare information and ideas, but we will get this, or I hope so.

Monty

I am searching and reading everything I get of IDO in Spanish, and I'm reading again and again works on the immune system and cancer, especially bowel. I have it already mania, it seems a bad thing, the IDO. Cheesy

For now, not a single detail of what inhibits or improves its levels, of course you have a prodigious source of information or I am a bit clumsy ... or both. I continue to do so; when I get bored of Spanish will turn to French and I'll comment if I find interesting things.

Regards.

IP Logged

monty
CH.com Hall of Famer

The Swamp, Florida
Reply #67 - Mar 1st, 2009 at 1:44pm

wagwoman wrote on Feb 28th, 2009 at 7:24pm:
OK.

One obvious question stood out in my mind..............(I am sure there is a good reason for this..............but I am a newbie)

Increasing serotonin..................no one has mentioned the benefits of exercise to increase serotonin levels.

Debbie

Doh!  Exercise is an obvious possibility for raising serotonin levels - thank you for pointing that out.  One problem I have is that I usually get hit in summer and I become much more sensitive to heat and any type of exertion.  But this is one option for some people.

Quote:
Clin Exp Pharmacol Physiol. 2009 Feb;36(2):189-91.

Effect of endurance training on hypothalamic serotonin concentration and performance.

Caperuto EC, dos Santos RV, Mello MT, Costa Rosa LF.

Department of Bioscience, Federal University of São Paulo, Baixada Santista, Brazil.

1. Serotonin is a neurotransmitter that modulates several functions, such as food intake, energy expenditure, motor activity, mood and sleep. Acute exhaustive endurance exercise increases the synthesis, concentration and metabolism of serotonin in the brain. This phenomenon could be responsible for central fatigue after prolonged and exhaustive exercise. However, the effect of chronic exhaustive training on serotonin is not known. The present study was conducted to examine the effect of exhaustive endurance training on performance and serotonin concentrations in the hypothalamus of trained rats. 2. Rats were divided into three groups: sedentary rats (SED), moderately trained rats (MOD) and exhaustively trained rats (EXT), with an increase of 200% in the load carried during the final week of training. 3. Hypothalamic serotonin concentrations were similar between the SED and MOD groups, but were higher in the EXT group (P < 0.05). Performance was lower in the EXT group compared with the MOD group (P < 0.05). 4. Thus, the present study demonstrates that exhaustive training increases serotonin concentrations in the hypothalamus, together with decreased endurance performance after inadequate recovery time. However, the mechanism underlying these changes remains unknown.

PMID: 19220327 [PubMed - in process]

« Last Edit: Mar 1st, 2009 at 1:50pm by monty »  

IP Logged

MJ
CH.com Hall of Famer

x1||USA|usa|299|85|MN
Reply #68 - Mar 1st, 2009 at 2:01pm

Reading this thread leaves a lot of room for confusion for laymen like myself.

I understand the hypothesis in regards to increase and decrease of serotonin and its pathways. Its a noble effort and appreciated very much.

I think for any of the inputs posted to ultimately make some sense and add inputs from others, there would be a need to back up and attempt to determine what is a normal level of serotonin in humankind if one exists, its usage and variations.
Not sure science itself has moved that far.
Then the discussion of what changes that, could continue and prove more beneficial to a lot of us.

My own observations as well as others may be based more on personal experience and how certain dietary foods can cause those alterations in serotonin usage and pathways.
Those in the know can make some assumptions regarding those inputs, ie: grapefruit and other affecting foods.

The trigeminal nerve and hypothalamus etc.. firings and bypass do appear to be related to serotonin and the previous discourse is indeed beneficial but that need remains to understand why or where normality exists and why modify these inputs whether through dietary or other means.

A lot of benefit can come from random inputs when there are those that can assimilate those inputs into the hypothesis. not easy staying on track.

The larger part of my confusion is related to the why's of increasing serotonin when my experience shows the possible blocking of increased serotonin in certain brain pathways/receptors is beneficial.
I do understand the efforts to explain the fabrication or alteration of serotonin just how its potential benefit exists in our aide has allways escaped me without first finding a benchmark to go by.

MJ

IP Logged

monty
CH.com Hall of Famer

The Swamp, Florida
Reply #69 - Mar 1st, 2009 at 2:17pm

MJ wrote on Mar 1st, 2009 at 2:01pm:
I think for any of the inputs posted to ultimately make some sense and add inputs from others, there would be a need to back up and attempt to determine what is a normal level of serotonin in humankind if one exists, its usage and variations.
Not sure science itself has moved that far.
Then the discussion of what changes that, could continue and prove more beneficial to a lot of us.

Here is an interesting article I just ran across, "How to increase serotonin in the human brain without drugs" by Simon N. Young:

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

It is more about anxiety, aggression and hostility than a process like cluster headaches, but it kinda addresses this question and cites evidence that there is "an association between measures related to serotonin and mood in the normal range."

It focuses on 4 modes of change - cognitive changes, diet, exercise and light exposure.  

MJ wrote on Mar 1st, 2009 at 2:01pm:
The larger part of my confusion is related to the why's of increasing serotonin when my experience shows the possible blocking of increased serotonin in certain brain pathways/receptors is beneficial.

Yes, that may be a real issue.  There are different serotonin receptors, and they seem to work against each other. It seems that blocking some receptors (2a, 2c) helps, while stimulating the serotonin 1 receptors (like triptans do) is beneficial.

A question I am checking on now is how low levels of tryptophan/serotonin affect the function of the different types of receptors.  It could be that some of us have the wrong balance of receptors due to genetics, exposure to chemicals, injury or disease ... if low tryptophan/serotonin levels can also cause a negative shift, that would be significant. 

One possibility is related to melatonin - low serotonin is 99% guaranteed to lower melatonin.  We know that melatonin is low in most clusterheads, and we know that melatonin helps many of us. So the idea of dealing with this has some interest.  Of course, it is possible that melatonin is low due to some other glitch, and that increasing serotonin will increase melatonin in most people, but not in CH.
« Last Edit: Mar 1st, 2009 at 2:28pm by monty »  

IP Logged

MJ
CH.com Hall of Famer

x1||USA|usa|299|85|MN
Reply #70 - Mar 1st, 2009 at 2:21pm

An added thought is that these discussions may ultimately help to understand the variations in CH. Why some folks get as little as 1 0r 2 hits a week and some get hit as many as 10 or more times per 24 hrs.

MJ

IP Logged

Gonzalo
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

Reply #71 - Mar 1st, 2009 at 6:52pm

Hello MJ. I copy/paste mi idea about this isuue from other post.

"The hypothesis can make predictions about the multiple crises. As already mentioned, while suffering a crisis the platelets release serotonin, which acts sooner or later to produce adequate vasoconstriction and abort the process. After the crisis, the platelet re-capture the serotonin they had released, and when it comes back to the previous level, another crisis will begin.

Exacerbated this process by the reduction of serotonin throughout the day, we could theorize that anyone who suffers a crisis in the first hours of maximum levels, at the zenith of the day, must suffer more crises, because the standards of the rest of the day will always be lower . The elapsed time between two crisis is given by the time it takes platelets to re-capture that released serotonin and reduced to the extent that decreases serotonin in the body. Thus, the time between crisis should decrease as the day progresses, and minimum during the night.

Those who have high average levels, will face only a crisis everyday, in the middle of the night, preferably during sleep. Who has the crisis relatively quickly, well before bedtime, would run greater risk of repeating during sleep. Also it is expected that the time of serotonin reuptake by platelets is proportional to the time of release, that is, the duration of the crisis, so longer crisis should be more spaced in time, and shorter, more together in time.
"

monty wrote on Mar 1st, 2009 at 2:17pm:
Of course, it is possible that (...) increasing serotonin will increase melatonin in most people, but not in CH.  

Is this a mistake? Are you saying that a serotonine raise will not produce a melatonine raise? I understood well? If yes, why do you say this?

Regards.

IP Logged

monty
CH.com Hall of Famer

The Swamp, Florida
Reply #72 - Mar 1st, 2009 at 7:16pm

Gonzalo wrote on Mar 1st, 2009 at 6:52pm:
Is this a mistake? Are you saying that a serotonine raise will not produce a melatonine raise? I understood well? If yes, why do you say this?

Regards.

I am saying we don't know for sure.  In a healthy person, if we deprive them of tryptophan, that will lower serotonin and lower melatonin.  If we then return that person to a healthy diet, serotonin goes up and then melatonin goes up. In that scenario, it is straightforward.

In cluster headaches, it may just as simple, or there may be something more.  We don't know why the melatonin curve for people with cluster headaches is flatter or completely flat, when normal people have a nice peak that corresponds to night and a valley that corresponds to day.  There could be many reasons for this - one is a lack of serotonin, the necessary building block.  But it could be something else - maybe in some people, there is enough serotonin, but there is something else lacking.  Maybe the pineal isn't working properly, maybe there is an endocrine issue (gonadotropin and corticotropin problem).

When I took 5-htp, I felt that I slept much better, so in my case I believe that increasing serotonin did increase melatonin.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!