Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
SMOKING W/ CH (Read 2313 times)
Deborah C
Ex Member

SMOKING W/ CH
Feb 15th, 2009 at 10:12pm

HI

Can someone please explain what EXACTLY the affect smoking does to CH. I understand that the brain is deprived of some O2 from smoking & I am under the impression that it also causes the blood vessels to dialate. True??????
If U stopped smoking, would it effect your CH? Stop it??
Have any of u guys stopped smoking and got positive results???

Thanks- Deb Questioning

IP Logged

kevmd
CH.com Hall of Famer

Who needs a hypothalamus
anyway?

x0|philadelphia|USA||0|0|PA,Pennsylvania
Re: SMOKING W/ CH
Reply #1 - Feb 15th, 2009 at 10:18pm

I quit smoking on Jan 1.  Cycle started Jan 15.  So far, I am having VERY positive results.  I can not guarantee its from quitting smoking but this cycle has been VERY gentle

PHILADELPHIA PHILLIES 2008 WORLD CHAMPS

IP Logged

Guiseppi
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

San Diego to Florida 05-16-2011

SAN DIEGO, CALIFORNIA USA
Reply #2 - Feb 15th, 2009 at 10:24pm

Some have stopped smoking and haven't noticed any difference in their cycles. Some have seen positive improvements in severity and duration.

Jeannie and I have never smoked and still get slammed. Go and figure! Like everything else, cause and effect is a real pain with these things. On the other hand, all evidence is pretty strong that you'll only help yourself if you stop smoking. Wink

Joe

"Somebody had to say it" is usually a piss poor excuse to be mean.

IP Logged

Ray
CH.com Alumnus

Ray

Columbus, Ohio
Reply #3 - Feb 15th, 2009 at 10:45pm

Nicotine is a vasoconstrictor.  '

Ray

Smiley

You have my prayers and compassion-I'm right there with you.

Dum tempus habemus, operemur bonum

*While we have the time, let us do good*

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
WWW raymond.schwartz759 rayplace raymond.schwartz759 raymond759  
IP Logged

AlienSpaceGuy
CH.com Old Timer

Greetings from outer space

Northpole
Reply #4 - Feb 15th, 2009 at 10:50pm

Nicotine is a vasoconstrictor, so in this respect smoking would help.

On oxygen supply is has no effect either way.

But, as is well known, smoking is a nasty habit, with lots of ill effects on the health. Therefore, smoking is also responsible for CH (some health gurus maintain).    Cheesy

Smiley

AlienSpaceGuy believes only in scientifically sound methods.

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

IP Logged

barry_sword
CH.com Alumnus

Mountain Biking Keeps
Me Sane

Bracebridge, Canada
Reply #5 - Feb 16th, 2009 at 6:32am

I have been smoke free for over three years and my cycles continue, no significant difference for me.

But I do feel better otherwise from not smoking and have a few extra $$$$ to boot! Wink

QUIT SMOKING SEPT. 03 2005

IP Logged

Bob Johnson
CH.com Alumnus

"Only the educated are
free." -Epictetus

Kennett Square, PA (USA)
Reply #6 - Feb 16th, 2009 at 8:37am

I have never seen any medical/technical information explaining why smoking is belived to be harmful.

My guess is that there is an assumption that the toxic effects of smoking increases sensitivity to the mechanisms of CH.

Bob Johnson

IP Logged

Guiseppi
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

San Diego to Florida 05-16-2011

SAN DIEGO, CALIFORNIA USA
Reply #7 - Feb 16th, 2009 at 9:31am

have never seen any medical/technical information explaining why smoking is belived to be harmful

Clearly an undercover agent of Pillip Morris! Grin

I'm assuming that statement was meant to include...."AS it relates to CH

Joe

(Who couldn't resist a shot at Bob!)
« Last Edit: Feb 16th, 2009 at 9:32am by Guiseppi »  

"Somebody had to say it" is usually a piss poor excuse to be mean.

IP Logged

monty
CH.com Hall of Famer

The Swamp, Florida
Reply #8 - Feb 16th, 2009 at 5:54pm

Bob Johnson wrote on Feb 16th, 2009 at 8:37am:

My guess is that there is an assumption that the toxic effects of smoking increases sensitivity to the mechanisms of CH.

Yes, I think so, and it could do that in multiple ways.  In another thread, I was discussing serotonin and kynurenine with Gonzalo.  There are switches that can be turned on by lung inflammation, and these route tryptophan away from serotonin and melatonin, and into the kynurenine pathway. Serotonin can drop 20-50% with such chronic inflammation, and levels of some kynurenine compounds can go up to 500x what is normal. Some of the kynurenine products are similar to glutamate or NMDA - they increase nerve firing, pain sensation, and could play a role in clusters.

Not enough research now to say for sure that this particular mechanism has a big effect, but it could be that. Or some other set of switches that get flipped - perhaps the aromatic hydrocarbon receptors, or a disruption to acetylcholine receptors.  

« Last Edit: Feb 16th, 2009 at 6:06pm by monty »  

The outer boundary of what we currently believe is feasible is far short of what we actually must do.

IP Logged

Kilowatt3
CH.com Old Timer

1952 Jag

Lake Charles, Louisiana - USA
Reply #9 - Feb 16th, 2009 at 7:36pm

monty wrote on Feb 16th, 2009 at 5:54pm:
Bob Johnson wrote on Feb 16th, 2009 at 8:37am:

Yes, I think so, and it could do that in multiple ways.  In another thread, I was discussing serotonin and kynurenine with Gonzalo...

Not enough research now to say for sure that this particular mechanism has a big effect, but it could be that. Or some other set of switches that get flipped - perhaps the aromatic hydrocarbon receptors, or a disruption to acetylcholine receptors.  

Consider also that nicotine facilitates calcium channel ion movement; the exact opposite of calcium-channel blockers like Verapamil.  So, if Verap is a preventative, it stands to reason that nicotine may be, under some circumstances, a "causitive" - or at the very least, a trigger.

Regards,
Jim (Now smoke-free for 5 years, 2 months+)  Smiley

Regards,
Jim
SW Louisiana

If "that which does not kill me, makes me stronger", then how come I always feel like $hit after every near-death experience?
WWW kilowatt3  
IP Logged

ANNSIE
Ex Member

Reply #10 - Feb 16th, 2009 at 7:38pm

Nicotine crosses the blood brain barrier and has profound effects on various neurotransmitters from serotonin to adrenaline, noradrenaline, dopamine and acetyl choline. All of these neurotransmitters play a role in the mechanism of CH. It also affects the sleep mechanism and can in turn affect the circadian rhythm. Any and all of these can have an effect on CH.

Unfortunately, there is not enough research done and therefore clear understanding of how exactly nicotine affects CH is not known. The fact that most CHers smoke is relevant but whether this is a side effect of the disease or a causative factor is unclear.

There have been extensive discussions and heated arguments on Ch.com about CH and smoking. Many people reported experiencing positive result when stopped smoking, others did not find any difference. As CH is influenced by many things, change in only one aspect of it may or may not bring any visible or lasting result.

The other difficulty is that nicotine is extremely addictive. It has been described as the hardest addiction to break, even harder than hard core drugs like cocaine. Since it is so hard to stop smoking, smokers tend to get either defensive or denial when talking about their habit.

The fact that we all know how smoking can lead to cancer, lung disease, heart disease, stroke ... and other deadly conditions, is not enough to deter people from smoking, then I dont think a weak link between cigarette and CH will make much different, even if its proven.

Still, for overall health, its always recommended that one stops smoking.

IP Logged

Kilowatt3
CH.com Old Timer

1952 Jag

Lake Charles, Louisiana - USA
Reply #11 - Feb 16th, 2009 at 7:40pm

kevmd wrote on Feb 15th, 2009 at 10:18pm:
I quit smoking on Jan 1.  Cycle started Jan 15.  So far, I am having VERY positive results.  I can not guarantee its from quitting smoking but this cycle has been VERY gentle

Way to go, Kev!  Great to hear that you're still 'clean'!!!   Smiley
Regards,
Jim

Regards,
Jim
SW Louisiana

If "that which does not kill me, makes me stronger", then how come I always feel like $hit after every near-death experience?
WWW kilowatt3  
IP Logged

clavers
CH.com Veteran

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #12 - Feb 17th, 2009 at 2:33pm

The only thing that changed in my life when I stopped smoking 26 years ago was that I then developed cluster headaches. I have no idea if there is any cause and effect relationship.  I still puff on a cigar occasionally, and that seems to actually help ease the cluster headaches.  It's all very strange.

IP Logged

coleman
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Coeurd' Alene ID USA
Reply #13 - Feb 17th, 2009 at 2:51pm

My wife quit smoking last march 2008, because the doctors said that it would help with her ch.  But, I have not seen any improvement what so ever in her ch.  Except that she seems to panic more without the cig to help her.  I also believe that it worked as a vascoconstrictor.  She always took her hits better while smoking.  However, mine and her health has improved greatly since we don't smoke.  The baby's too, even though we did not smoke inside or around him ever!!  The money saved works great for other uses too.

Thanks all, Coleman

IP Logged

jberzins
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #14 - Feb 18th, 2009 at 10:50am

i remember many years ago, 13 plus, when i had stopped smoking and drinking for over a year and the mighty devil came back as strong as ever. i remember sitting alone and saying, " i am doing everything right, why is this still happening". i did start to smoke again a couple years later, cloves not cigs, and did not notice much of a change. i have just stopped smoking again, not sure why. i will let you know if i have noticed a difference.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!