Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
? about sleep ... (Read 3231 times)
c-fish
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

? about sleep ...
Feb 15th, 2009 at 8:56pm

I'm in the third mo. and its getting worse.Its gotten now to where I never  even get sleepy.I go to bed every night about the same time w/ no sleepiness at all.Its all I can do to force my self to doze off.As soon as I do it hits.I'm getting maybe 60-90 min. of sleep per night and still never really seem to get sleepy.Anybody else with this problem and any suggestions?

Chad
chad fisher  
IP Logged

monty
CH.com Hall of Famer

The Swamp, Florida
Re: ? about sleep ...
Reply #1 - Feb 15th, 2009 at 9:04pm

Tried melatonin? It can be useful, especially when the hits are hardest at night and circadian cycles are messed up.

The outer boundary of what we currently believe is feasible is far short of what we actually must do.

IP Logged

c-fish
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #2 - Feb 15th, 2009 at 9:12pm

how much should I take and can it make it worse?

Chad
chad fisher  
IP Logged

Guiseppi
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

San Diego to Florida 05-16-2011

SAN DIEGO, CALIFORNIA USA
Reply #3 - Feb 15th, 2009 at 9:17pm

I haven't heard of melatonin making it worse for anyone. I'd start at about 6-9 mg, 30 minutes before you go to bed. It may take a couple of days. Helps a lot of people avoid the nite hits.

Are you on any preventative medications yet? Verapamil, Lithium, there are many to read about on the meds board. Lithium, at 1200 mg a day, blocks 70-80% of my attacks and eliminates most of the night hits for me.

Joe

"Somebody had to say it" is usually a piss poor excuse to be mean.

IP Logged

c-fish
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #4 - Feb 15th, 2009 at 9:35pm

I was on topomax 50mg at bedtime for about 3wks. Mon. my neuro upped it to 100mg. The 50mg didnt seem to help. We'll see about the 100mg. Im not sold on it being effective at all.

Chad
chad fisher  
IP Logged

FramCire
CH.com Alumnus

Life like a froward child
must be humored a little

Bolivar, MO USA
Reply #5 - Feb 16th, 2009 at 9:05am

Im not a fan of topomax.

Melatonin made it worse for me for ht efirst 2 days I took it and then it got better and was helpful.  I dont think I;m alone in the regard that it DID get worse but then ended up being a big benefit.

Have you tried a prednizone taper....... they always seemed to work for a few days for me and let me get much needed sleep.

It does sound as if you need to get ma new "cocktail".

PFDA!!!!

You've overstayed your welcome since the day we met but it doesn't seem to matter to you.  No medications are your master, nothing makes you fret, it's a helpless feeling having nothing I can do

IP Logged

icedragon
Ex Member

Reply #6 - Feb 16th, 2009 at 10:21am

I used to have trouble sleeping as well during a cycle.  I think it was a subconscious fear of getting hit while asleep.  Then after O2 entered my life, I found myself able to go to sleep more often than not.  I feel my mind was put at ease with a new line of defense against the beast...

I did not see you mention you having tried O2 in your posts.  If not, I would suggest some O2. 

Many PF wishes
Thomas

IP Logged

-johnny-
CH.com Sponsor

theres no smoking on the
dock

fayette county ohio
Reply #7 - Feb 16th, 2009 at 12:51pm

monty wrote on Feb 15th, 2009 at 9:04pm:
Tried melatonin? It can be useful, especially when the hits are hardest at night and circadian cycles are messed up.

yep that works for me as well. give it a couple days to work. heres a few suggestions.

use a vaporizer or a humidifier in the roam your sleeping in. moisture is the key.

open a window in your bedroom. the colder the better. i've actually gone so far as sleeping on the porch in a lawn chair.  sounds crazy doesn't it

keep your o2 handy for when you wake up. DON'T WAIT!. as soon as you wake up crank it up and suck it in. don't kid yourself. once it wakes you up it's going to get worse.

use  those breathrite strips that go over your nose.

be sure to elevate your head. try sleeping in a recliner.

keep this in mind. theres going to be nights when your not going to get sleep no matter what you do. you have to except the fact that sleep is a trigger. what ever you do try to keep your sanity. you'll be alright Wink

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

IP Logged

slhaas
CH.com Veteran

West Allis, WI, USA
Reply #8 - Feb 18th, 2009 at 6:49pm

I am very much affected by sleep.  Most of my attacks are sleep triggered.  It can ruin you... lack of sleep and fear of sleep.  Melatonin helps for a lot of people... it didn't do much for me.  I was resorting to an imitrex pill before bed until Verapamil kicked in.  Now I rely on O2 and verapamil.

500716817 slhaas99  
IP Logged

Brew
CH.com Sponsor
CH.com Alumnus

Reply #9 - Feb 18th, 2009 at 8:05pm

Before I discovered Melatonin, my neurologist prescribed naratriptan (Amerge) at bedtime. No insurance company in their right mind will pay for a triptan used as a preventative, so my neurologist supplemented my script with samples. Worked great for a couple of months to get me through that particular cycle.

"I have been asked if I have changed in these past 25 years. No, I am the same. Only more so."  --Ayn Rand

IP Logged

Ellick
CH.com Veteran

ET found here.

x1|Aylesbury|UK
Reply #10 - Feb 19th, 2009 at 1:51pm

Prednisolone works well until verapamil kicks in. (Do check the side effects of prednisilone though).

I also found that if I had strong shadows before going to bed I would use sumatriptan (Imitrex) 15 to 20 minutes before going to bed. I did this at the peak of cycle and it helped with getting some sleep.

Are you using O2?

Hope this helps.

Best wishes,

Ellick.

ET

IP Logged

Farzad
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

Iran - Tehran
Reply #11 - Feb 25th, 2009 at 2:30pm

I recommend you to try Promethazine before sleeping, while I recommend Prednisolone for preventive medication for attacks

I tried Promethazine (Phenergan) 20 mg before sleeping and slept deep and good enough.

the difficulty in sleeping is coming from problems in hypothalamus in brain that controls the auto system of the body and timings. i think maybe promethazine ahs some efffects on hypothalamus also.
I didnt tried the melatonine but i used crude Olive oil also that has some melathonine.

wish you good sleeping

Farzad

Farzad

IP Logged

bigmenawa
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

Boaz, Alabama
Reply #12 - Mar 6th, 2009 at 10:41pm

I have the same problem.  I beleive that I have talked myself into not being sleepy for fear of the hell that is to come.  It was 12:02 am and my wife asked why I didn't go to bed.  This was asked in a rather harsh manner.  I told her that it was 12:02 and if she knew that in a couple of hours she was going to walk the "Green Mile", would she go to sleep.  My point was made.  I am in a cycle now that began at the end of January and i rarely get more than 2 hours of sleep.  I am a school principal and it is a chore to function everyday.  I understand how you feel. I finally get to the point of exhaustion and I crash until the beast comes calling.  Happens every night!!!

IP Logged

BarbaraD
CH.com Alumnus

Hugs to ya

Douglasville, TX
Reply #13 - Mar 7th, 2009 at 4:55am

On the other side of the coin with topamax. I've taken it since 99 and swear by it. It's been my magic bullet. I take 100mg at night along with melatonin (15-18mg) and sleep at night.

This has worked for me for years. I get thru the nights and am rested to fight during the days. It took a while for the melatonin to start working but when it did it worked, so give it a fair shot before you say it won't work.

As far as the topamax goes. I've been on some high doses - for years I was on 300mg at night, but am down to 100mg (maintenance dose) right now. It depends on the level of the CH (that's what my neuro says).

I use O2 for aborts and very occasionally cafergot.

The thing is you have to give things a fair shot to see if they work. A month or so at least. You can't tell after a day or two. Some of these meds take a while to get in your system. A lot of docs will give a pred taper while the other meds are getting in your system.

Hope you're pain free soon.

Hugs BD

What don't kill ya, Makes ya stronger!

IP Logged

Emjay
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

Reply #14 - Mar 7th, 2009 at 7:51pm

I started using the melatonin, 10mg, three weeks ago and although I had a couple of night hits, I haven't had a hit in almost two weeks.  We also upped the verapamil to 480mgs but it did not impact me until after I tried the melatonin... 

I also use O2 when I am home; when I HAVE to sleep and I get a night hit, I use Imitrix, otherwise the O2.

My cycles start in January with night hits that last for 3 hours, then add a morning hit, and an afternoon hit!  I hate spring although these treatments have been life saving.  I am learning to like spring...

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!