Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Cluster Headache or Aneurysm (Read 3088 times)
edwardbear
CH.com Newbie

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

x0|Sofia|Bulgaria||0|0|
Cluster Headache or Aneurysm
Feb 15th, 2009 at 6:11pm

Dear Cluster Heads,
After my latest exam from my doctor, and a long reading of my cluster diary, it comes out that I have anywhere between 17 and 25 headaches a month.

My neurologist fears it might be Aneurysm, so do I.

Tell me, what are the chances those two are that close?
I have no idea how much Aneurysm hurts, so I have always measured my pain according to the kip scale. Pacing around in the room, oxygen, relpax, imigran, all those stuff help me take the edge off. Could it be Aneurysm if it responds on the drugs for Cluster Headaches?

Anyways, I haven't had a headache in 3 days!! I feel great! NOTHING CAN BRING ME DOWN! Cheesy

IP Logged

Linda_Howell
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

Do not feed the Moderators

Santa Maria, Ca.
Re: Cluster Headache or Aneurysm
Reply #1 - Feb 15th, 2009 at 7:19pm

I don't believe there is anyone here, who...after having their first CH attack DIDN'T   think it was an anurism or a brain tumor.

That is why it isn't a good idea to self-diagnose and we tell everyone to ask their Dr. for an MRI to rule out more sinister possibilities.

A good Dr. would insist upon it before treating you anyway.

Good luck and please let us know how it all goes.

Linda

Hurt people.....hurt people.   Think about it.
WWW calientev8 N/A N/A  
IP Logged

Guiseppi
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

San Diego to Florida 05-16-2011

SAN DIEGO, CALIFORNIA USA
Reply #2 - Feb 15th, 2009 at 9:22pm

I'm with Linda. I've had attacks where I swear I thought my head would absolutely explode. I'd definitely want my doc to confirm it's nothing sinister going on in my head! Wink

Joe

"Somebody had to say it" is usually a piss poor excuse to be mean.

IP Logged

Sonnie
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

No. California
Reply #3 - Feb 24th, 2009 at 4:41pm

My GP and Neuro both tested me right away for tumors and/or anuerysm.  It was quite a relief to know that I have neither.

Keep us posted and enjoy being PF.  Smiley

Sonnie

IP Logged

Bob Johnson
CH.com Alumnus

"Only the educated are
free." -Epictetus

Kennett Square, PA (USA)
Reply #4 - Feb 25th, 2009 at 8:24am

The evidence is far from clear so far. Here are two fairly recent reports which you might like to print out for your doc.
========
cephalalgia. 2007 feb;27(2):173-6. 

typical cluster headache caused by granulomatous pituitary involvement.

favier i, haan j, van duinen s, ferrari m.

department of neurology, leiden university medical centre, leiden, the netherlands.

a young woman had typical cluster headache attacks and a pituitary mass lesion. the headache attacks resolved after transsphenoidal resection of the tumour, which was diagnosed as a granulomatous inflammation. the association between cluster headache and granulomatous enlargement of the pituitary gland has never been described before. THIS CASE REINFORCES THE GROWING EVIDENCE THAT EVEN IN TYPICAL CASES OF CLUSTER HEADACHE, NEUROIMAGING IS MANDATORY TO EXCLUDE STRUCTURAL LESIONS.

pmid: 17257239 [pubmed - in process]
====================

(You may need your doc to interpret this one!)

Cephalalgia. 2008 Sep 2. [Epub ahead of print]
What happens to new-onset headache presented to primary care? A case-cohort study using electronic primary care records.

Kernick D, Stapley S, Goadsby P, Hamilton W.

St Thomas Medical Group, Exeter, UK.

In the UK, 4% of general practitioner consultations are for headache, yet the natural history of these presentations is unknown. The objective of this study was to describe the outcome of new headache presentations to the general practitioner. This was a prospective case-control study in adults over a period of 1 year using data from the General Practitioner Research Database, UK.
RECORDS OF PATIENTS WHO PRESENTED WITH PRIMARY HEADACHE (MIGRAINE, TENSION-TYPE HEADACHE, CLUSTER HEADACHE) OR UNDIFFERENTIATED HEADACHE (NO FURTHER DESCRIPTOR) WERE EXAMINED FOR THE SUBSEQUENT YEAR FOR SUBARACHNOID HAEMORRHAGE, PRIMARY BRAIN TUMOUR, BENIGN SPACE-OCCUPYING LESION, TEMPORAL ARTERITIS, STROKE AND TRANSIENT ISCHAEMIC ATTACK. WE IDENTIFIED 21 758 PRIMARY HEADACHES AND 63 921 UNDIFFERENTIATED HEADACHES. THE LIKELIHOOD RATIO WAS 29 (9.9, 92) FOR A SUBARACHNOID HAEMORRHAGE AFTER AN UNDIFFERENTIATED HEADACHE AND INCREASED WITH AGE. THE 1-YEAR RISK OF A MALIGNANT BRAIN TUMOUR WITH NEW UNDIFFERENTIATED HEADACHE WAS 0.15%, RISING TO 0.28% ABOVE THE AGE OF 50 YEARS. FOR PRIMARY HEADACHE THE RISK WAS 0.045%. THE RISK FOR A BENIGN SPACE-OCCUPYING LESION WAS 0.05% FOR AN UNDIFFERENTIATED AND 0.009% FOR A PRIMARY HEADACHE. THE RISK OF TEMPORAL ARTERITIS WAS THE HIGHEST OF THE CONDITIONS STUDIED, 0.66% IN THE UNDIFFERENTIATED AND 0.18% IN THE PRIMARY HEADACHE GROUP.
Accepting the limitations of this approach, our data can inform management guidelines for new presentations of headache in primary care and confirm the need for follow-up, even if a primary headache diagnosis is made.

PMID: 18771496 [PubMed]

Bob Johnson

IP Logged

FramCire
CH.com Alumnus

Life like a froward child
must be humored a little

Bolivar, MO USA
Reply #5 - Feb 25th, 2009 at 8:58am

Bottom line is that noone here is going to be able to tell you.  Let your Doc do his/her job.  If the doc doesnt know much about clusters, then educate him/her using the references Bob gave you. 

Good luck!!!!

You've overstayed your welcome since the day we met but it doesn't seem to matter to you.  No medications are your master, nothing makes you fret, it's a helpless feeling having nothing I can do

IP Logged

midwestbeth
CH.com Sponsor

Edwardsville, IL
Reply #6 - Feb 25th, 2009 at 10:08am

Has your Dr. ordered an MRI and catscan? 

I, like almost everyone else here, thought I had a tumor or aneurysm that was going to explode in my head.  The fear of that is why I stopped hiding the pain from my family (after almost a year).

Keep us udated.  Good to hear you are getting some pf time!

Beth

Dum vita est spes est
midwestbeth midwestbeth http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?ref=profile&id  
IP Logged

gmann11
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Bedford Texas
Reply #7 - Feb 25th, 2009 at 4:38pm

I had it all checked out 20 years ago.  I would recomend anyone who has the pain associated with these headaches to rule out every possibility.  Honestly, finding this website has been the best breakthrough in CH for me since they have started.

Gary

IP Logged

ANNSIE
Ex Member

Reply #8 - Feb 25th, 2009 at 4:51pm

Doctors generally do scans and tests to rule out other nasty conditions that can mimic CH or other forms of severe headaches. I get migraines and when I had 3 of them back to back I got to do a brain scan too.

There are many conditions that can give pain in the face and head similar to CH and/or migraines and some of them can be deadly if go undetected.

Its good to rule things out.

I hope that the outcome of the tests will be good and hope you stay painfree forever.

IP Logged

snickers
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

California
Reply #9 - Feb 26th, 2009 at 8:56pm

Aneurysms run in my family on fathers side. 2 generations. 2 of my aunts that survived it later said that it felt like someone hit them in the head with a hammer. So compared to what CH's do to me...linger ON AND ON AND ON AND ON...I kind of wish I could get hit that quick and get the CH over with.

IP Logged

Antonia
CH.com Newbie

Make it stop!

Toronto, Canada
Reply #10 - Mar 29th, 2009 at 10:23pm

Well, it turns out that the recent return of my CHs after a 19 year remission was a blessing in disguise.

My doc sent me for an MRI just to be safe and it revealed a brain aneurysm. I am now awaiting a CT angiogram and an appointment with a neurosurgeon.

Are the CHs connected? ''Dr. Google'' indicates yes in that, in some cases, people with both conditions who the aneurysm surgically clipped also stopped having CHs.

But O2 aborts my headaches. If they were caused by an aneurysm, I doubt the O2 would make a difference.

Anyway, if I have surgery, there goe smy long blonde hair.  Sad

WWW Antonia Zerbisias  
IP Logged

Pixie-elf
CH.com Hall of Famer

I've tried the rest, and
busting is the best!

Beaumont,Tx
Reply #11 - Mar 29th, 2009 at 11:32pm

Antonia wrote on Mar 29th, 2009 at 10:23pm:
Well, it turns out that the recent return of my CHs after a 19 year remission was a blessing in disguise.

My doc sent me for an MRI just to be safe and it revealed a brain aneurysm. I am now awaiting a CT angiogram and an appointment with a neurosurgeon.

Are the CHs connected? ''Dr. Google'' indicates yes in that, in some cases, people with both conditions who the aneurysm surgically clipped also stopped having CHs.

But O2 aborts my headaches. If they were caused by an aneurysm, I doubt the O2 would make a difference.

Anyway, if I have surgery, there goe smy long blonde hair.  Sad

Goodness, I'll keep you in my prayers. And you never know, the aneursym could have triggered the CH's. Activated them somehow...

As far as the hair thing goes... I can understand not wanting to lose it. At least for certain surgeries, it depends on where the problem is.  And on the surgeon! Some shave your head completely, some don't. One I saw had the habit of shaving the whole head because he wanted to make sure -nothing- interfered with recovery.

I didn't end up having the shunt put in, but my great-great aunt did. A different surgeon did hers, and they only shaved some hair behind her ear to put it in. So you might end up getting to keep your long hair... If not, it'll grow back. You could always have it made into a wig until it does!

I hope they can help you soon, PFDAN.
Mystina

As far as I'm concerned, cluster busting has been the best treatment I've tried. No migraines since I started it, and my hits have gotten so much better. Wanna know more?
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

It's saved my life.

IP Logged

nani
CH.com Alumnus

Clusterbusters

Los Lunas NM USA
Reply #12 - Mar 29th, 2009 at 11:39pm

Antonia wrote on Mar 29th, 2009 at 10:23pm:

I've had clusters since 1973, and a ruptured aneurysm in 1999. My clusters went chronic after the clipping, I'm afraid. I found a very effective prevent since.

Good luck with your surgery ... better to get it fixed before it explodes. (Oh, I only lost an inch wide strip of hair between my ear and temple, so there's hair hope.)  Wink

Here I sit between my brother the mountain and my sister the sea. We three are one in loneliness, and the love that binds us together is deep and strong and strange.~Kahlil Gibran
IP Logged

Antonia
CH.com Newbie

Make it stop!

Toronto, Canada
Reply #13 - Apr 2nd, 2009 at 4:25pm

Wow, Nani. Glad to see you lived to tell the tale.

Thanks for your replies.

Meanwhile last night, I fell asleep with the mask on and found myself choking. Sleep apnea?

I know there's a connection.

Anyway, the spiritual side of me tells me the CHs came back so I would have the MRI so I would find the aneurysm.

Thanks again.

WWW Antonia Zerbisias  
IP Logged

HappyElaine
CH.com Alumnus

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Flovilla,GA
Reply #14 - Apr 3rd, 2009 at 2:44pm

I say have what ever test he wants you to have.

Fear less, hope more;&&Whine less, breathe more;&&Talk less, say more;&&Hate less, love more;&&And all good things are yours.&&&&Member of ch.com and OUCH since 1999

IP Logged

GrandPotentate
CH.com Old Timer

mmmmmmmmmm

Michigan City, IN  USA
Reply #15 - Apr 3rd, 2009 at 9:41pm

Please cut the straps off of your O2 mask.  Then it falls off if you fall asleep.  I'd hate to lose someone to that potential problem.

Don't fret about the hair - get what's inside fixed.   Hey, some guys like the short-hair look.

And, Back to the original question, get everything else checked out and treated.  I was a little disappointed when the doc looked at my brain and said "nothing remarkable", but it was a good thing.

Jon

Jon

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!