Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Are these cluster headaches?? (Read 1174 times)
lolly12
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Are these cluster headaches??
Feb 13th, 2009 at 10:56pm

So, since Sunday (5-6 days ago), I started getting this jabbing pain (what I have self-diagnosed as "ice-pick headache through my research) on the back of the left side of my head.  They came and went all day that Sunday, scaring the hell out of me.  The "ice pick" happened approx once every hour, all day.  I was not woken up at night with the pains, but they returned almost immediately upon awakening.  Literally, I would sit up in bed, and the pain occurred again, coming in waves all day.
Over this past week, I've had the same nagging ice pick pains that seem to have been happening more frequently.  No over the counter meds help... I've tried everything.  The pains have dulled a little in intensity (or I'm just getting used to it) but occur all day almost twice an hour.  The pains sometimes (not all the time) radiate towards my left temporal area. 
As a side note, a few days before this headache happened I went to the Dr. because I had been breaking out into hives whenever I went outside in the cold air.  I was diagnosed with "cold induced urticaria (hives)", and basically had a giant histamine response to what appeared to be some sort of response to a viral infection I had (swollen glands, only symptom).  The hives stopped one day before my headache started.  Now, I have had a runny nose only on my left nostril since these headaches started.  Clear snot literally drips out of my nose uncontrollably.... not to be gross. 
I can't deal with this anymore!  what can I do to take it away!!????  I cannot go to a Dr. before next week.  This doesn't require a trip to the ER does it?  I can't live like this!  they are debilitating!

IP Logged

Guiseppi
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

San Diego to Florida 05-16-2011

SAN DIEGO, CALIFORNIA USA
Re: Are these cluster headaches??
Reply #1 - Feb 14th, 2009 at 1:21am

I try not to do diagnosis as my medical training consists of basic first aid and CPR......never got to the neurology section!!! Wink

What you're describing doesn't sound on its face like CH. There are hundreds of different headache types, meds that help for some are useless and potentially harmful for others. Anytime something starts "suddenly" in the head, it warrants a trip to the doctor to eliminate any serious issues, then to start down what is sometimes a long diagnostic road.

Take the cluster quiz on the left. If you're not already keeping a headache diary, start one. As much detail as you can imagine. The diagnosis is usually found in the details. If it turns out to be CH, don't lose this website!!!!

Whatever it turns out to be, wishing you relief soon, headaches...ANY kind of headaches, suck!!!!!

Joe

"Somebody had to say it" is usually a piss poor excuse to be mean.

IP Logged

coach_bill
CH.com Hall of Famer

"Dont expect me to lay
down for this"

x0|euclid|USA||0|0|OH,Ohio
Reply #2 - Feb 14th, 2009 at 8:47pm

Sorry to hear about your headaches. It really is hard to say from what you said. The Doctor will send you thourgh a battery of tests to see what is proper. Here are some things that happen to me, my eye runs like a river, and the same side my nose is clogged, i sweat like a pig while im cold as ice. It wakes me in the middle of the night, every night like a clock, it is the worst thing i ever felt in my life and i cry like a 10 year old boy.

Challening, More assertive.. Coach Bill  Angry
« Last Edit: Feb 14th, 2009 at 8:53pm by coach_bill »  

boy i cant wait till it's my turn to give him a headache. paybacks a bitch
IP Logged

Jennifer
CH.com Alumnus

Supply, VA
Reply #3 - Feb 14th, 2009 at 9:00pm

Hi Lolly Smiley

#1.   take the quiz  (see left)

#2.  keep a log of what is happening to you. (times, intensity, length, etc)

# 3.  See your doctor for a proper diagnoses.

#4.  Be comforted in knowing that you are not alone, regardless of what that pain might be.  Wishing you relief!

WWW Jennifer Whitty Donald Yennyfur_D  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!