Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
finally got o2 today... (Read 3472 times)
c-fish
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

finally got o2 today...
Feb 13th, 2009 at 10:42pm

no mask today.Its coming ups tommorrow.All I got 2nite is a nose canula.Maybe it will work.I have to say have gotten way more info about the o2 on here than from the Dr. or the med supply co.This website is a blessing.
« Last Edit: Feb 13th, 2009 at 10:43pm by c-fish »  

Chad
chad fisher  
IP Logged

on my knees
Ex Member

Re: finally got o2 today...
Reply #1 - Feb 13th, 2009 at 11:03pm

make sure you have at least a 15lpm regulator and get a non-rebreather mask, it has a bag attached. also i drink a coffee energy drink just before and chug it. other use red bull or rockstar.
good for you getting th o2 rx thats the first step Cool

IP Logged

kevmd
CH.com Hall of Famer

Who needs a hypothalamus
anyway?

x0|philadelphia|USA||0|0|PA,Pennsylvania
Reply #2 - Feb 13th, 2009 at 11:05pm

You will soon come to love those green tanks.  But you will love it more when you no longer have to use it.  good job getting o2

PHILADELPHIA PHILLIES 2008 WORLD CHAMPS

IP Logged

Guiseppi
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

San Diego to Florida 05-16-2011

SAN DIEGO, CALIFORNIA USA
Reply #3 - Feb 14th, 2009 at 1:37am

Take a 1 gallon ziploc bag........poke a little hole in the bottom, run the nasal canula tube into it and tape it up air tight. Bunch the top up with your hand, turn on the 02. You now have a "non re breather mask!"

As the bag fills, suck out the pure 02, close it back up, exhale, stick your mouth at the opening and inhale again. The trick to making 02 work is getting pure 02 to the lungs, no outside air, no exhaled air. Once you understand that principle, get creative!!

Joe

"Somebody had to say it" is usually a piss poor excuse to be mean.

IP Logged

coach_bill
CH.com Hall of Famer

"Dont expect me to lay
down for this"

x0|euclid|USA||0|0|OH,Ohio
Reply #4 - Feb 14th, 2009 at 9:40am

Great news, The 02 is a God send for many with CH.

Challening, More assertive... Coach Bill

boy i cant wait till it's my turn to give him a headache. paybacks a bitch
IP Logged

itotka
CH.com Old Timer

Oxygen

Budapest|Solar System
Reply #5 - Feb 14th, 2009 at 9:51am

Guiseppi wrote on Feb 14th, 2009 at 1:37am:
Take a 1 gallon ziploc bag........poke a little hole in the bottom, run the nasal canula tube into it and tape it up air tight. Bunch the top up with your hand, turn on the 02. You now have a "non re breather mask!"

Mr.Happy's "temp mask" with a 1" plastic tube as mouthpiece

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

« Last Edit: Feb 14th, 2009 at 9:53am by itotka »  

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
WWW itotka  
IP Logged

barry_sword
CH.com Alumnus

Mountain Biking Keeps
Me Sane

Bracebridge, Canada
Reply #6 - Feb 14th, 2009 at 10:19am

100% o2 with at least a 15 LPM regulator and get on it at the very first sign of an on-coming hit. No outside air! I do not know about where you live but I can walk into my o2 supplier (medical) and buy as many non-rebreather masks that I want. They are about $7.00 each.

Nice home made non-rebreather mask Smiley

QUIT SMOKING SEPT. 03 2005

IP Logged

Deborah C
Ex Member

Reply #7 - Feb 14th, 2009 at 10:29am

Hey, were in the same boat. I finally got my O2 yesterday too. I only have the nasal connection, but am awaiting a mask, thanks to Linda here in CH. I cruised through the "how to use O2" section and found it very informative. THANK YOU ALL !! But unfortunetly, I still have a million questions, but Ive decided 1 day @ a time because I am so overwhelmed by this whole THING.
My neuro. (who will not see me anymore, my case is too much for HER, LOL) wrote 4 lpm (is that the right jargon?).
Did nothing for me. Thats when I went to the O2 page to see what the hell Im doing. I cranked her up and started to feel a little better, my ears popped, throbbing subsided, a little.
Now I understand why you have to have a mask/bag. I could not breath it fast enough and did not want to over do it. I feel like I was wasting it and after all I went through 2 get it it's like GOLD now.
The size tank they gave me, E. Does not seem realistic to help me more than a few times. Any advice out there??
Also I am Terrified of having this O2 in the very small Apt. we have.
Im wondering about how it can ignite, smokers etc. For now it's in my closet, LOL. More advice Please??
Anyhow, us newbies gotta stick together, so let me know ho UR managing.
GOD BLESS =Debbie Smiley

IP Logged

DennisM1045
CH.com Alumnus

One wave at a time!

Haverhill, Massachusetts, USA
Reply #8 - Feb 14th, 2009 at 10:47am

Hi Deb,

A single e-tank doesn't hold much.  That why I keep 7 e-tanks on hand plus one m-tank. 

I can usually get two hits aborted with a single e-tank @ 25lpm.  They are very useful when you are out and about.

Talk to your O2 supplier and get more delivered.

-Dennis-

Where there is life, there is hope.
Where there is Oxygen, you must use proper caution.
So be safe, don't smoke while using O2. Kill the pain and not yourself.
dennism1045 dennism1045 524417261 DennisM1045 DennisM1045  
IP Logged

Deborah C
Ex Member

Reply #9 - Feb 14th, 2009 at 11:15am

Hi dennis !!

OMG the tank etc. cost $60.00. I live in N.Y. LOL this is sapposed to be a 1 month supply!!!!!!!!!!!!! Cheesy

Deb

IP Logged

Linda_Howell
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

Do not feed the Moderators

Santa Maria, Ca.
Reply #10 - Feb 14th, 2009 at 11:48am

Deb,

Did the supply place tell you that this is a one-time set-up charge for the rental of the tank and reg.?    It should be.  Swapping the tank out for a filled one, shouldn't cost anywhere near that.

Your package is in the mail.   Call that supplier and ask that question.  What are replacement tanks going to cost you.  I pay 10.00.  Others pay a little more and some pay less...but an e-tank replacement should NOT be 60.00

This is one of my major pet peeves.  The hoops and complications we have to jump through to get a Dr. to prescribe it in the first place and then the ignorace of everyone else involved with getting us what we need.  I am angry for all of you having to go through this.

Linda

Hurt people.....hurt people.   Think about it.
WWW calientev8 N/A N/A  
IP Logged

Potter
CH.com Alumnus

Team MOOSE DROOL Stinky
Stuff on a Hook Prostaff

Blgs.Mt.
Reply #11 - Feb 14th, 2009 at 12:50pm

Linda_Howell wrote on Feb 14th, 2009 at 11:48am:
Deb,

Did the supply place tell you that this is a one-time set-up charge for the rental of the tank and reg.?    It should be.  Swapping the tank out for a filled one, shouldn't cost anywhere near that.

Your package is in the mail.   Call that supplier and ask that question.  What are replacement tanks going to cost you.  I pay 10.00.  Others pay a little more and some pay less...but an e-tank replacement should NOT be 60.00

This is one of my major pet peeves.  The hoops and complications we have to jump through to get a Dr. to prescribe it in the first place and then the ignorace of everyone else involved with getting us what we need.  I am angry for all of you having to go through this.

Linda

Or you can LEASE a welders oxygen tank.  My lease was 200 bucks lifetime.  I can sell or give the tank to anyone as I please.  If the tank needs any repairs it's on their dime.

Kinder gentler Potter

IP Logged

kevmd
CH.com Hall of Famer

Who needs a hypothalamus
anyway?

x0|philadelphia|USA||0|0|PA,Pennsylvania
Reply #12 - Feb 14th, 2009 at 11:36pm

where is that imfamous Mr Happy

PHILADELPHIA PHILLIES 2008 WORLD CHAMPS

IP Logged

Balanchine
CH.com Alumnus

x0|Los Angeles|USA||0|0|CA,Cal
Reply #13 - Feb 15th, 2009 at 11:01am

I went out and bought a welder's tank, 80 cubic feet, and a regulator. Whole rig cost me about 300 bucks and fills are maybe 20 with tax. Think the capacity is somewhere between 2-3 E type medical tanks. Plus if I get bored between cycles, I can always weld*!

David

*especially on Tuesdays.
« Last Edit: Feb 16th, 2009 at 11:41am by Balanchine »  

IP Logged

Skyhawk5
CH.com Alumnus

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Ypsilanti, Mi. USA
Reply #14 - Feb 15th, 2009 at 8:22pm

Deborah,

Oxygen is not a bomb. It is dangerous but the danger is that it will add to a fire of a flammable object. O2 itself is a non-flammable gas, and this is a commonly misunderstood fact. Most Doctors have little training or true understanding of some of these facts.

The biggest danger to yourself is if the O2 soaks into your sweater or clothing and the spark from a ciggarette were to contact it and cause a fire. NO SMOKING while using O2 is a must. And allowing a minute a two for any possible build up on your clothes to disapate before smoking will keep you safe.

Reading from my oxygen patient instructions handbook. " Oxygen will not explode or burn, but it will increase the flammability of objects near the concentrated oxygen. It will also cause anything that is burning to burn hotter and faster." It also says to avoid smoking in the same room and to stay at least 10 feet from any open flame such as a ciggarette.

Don
« Last Edit: Feb 15th, 2009 at 8:25pm by Skyhawk5 »  

Though I walk through the valley of the shadow of the Beast , I  have O2 so I fear him not.
Skyhawk5655  
IP Logged

Deborah C
Ex Member

Reply #15 - Feb 15th, 2009 at 9:56pm

Don,

Thank U 4 explaining the ignition of oxygen. Neither the Dr. or the supply place gave me ANY INFORMATION.
I also made the "ziplock" breather mask. LOL what a piss, but WHAT A DIFFERENCE, WOW !
I also went to the O2 page & printed out the suggested RX.

ALL OF U CHer's, R TRULY AMAZING PEOPLE. From the bottom of my heart I want to thank everyone who has helped/responded to my to
my questions. I was so lost without y'all. Grin Grin

IP Logged

Skyhawk5
CH.com Alumnus

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Ypsilanti, Mi. USA
Reply #16 - Feb 27th, 2009 at 1:58am

Deb,
You are more than welcome. I'm bumping this thread so others may read it.
Don

Though I walk through the valley of the shadow of the Beast , I  have O2 so I fear him not.
Skyhawk5655  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!