Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Imitrex after effects (Read 1434 times)
DeStijl
CH.com Veteran

Lubbock, TX
Imitrex after effects
Feb 10th, 2009 at 6:25pm

Hey y'all. I had to inject myself while at work today (can't have O2 @work). I don't remember this from the last time I used 'trex, but I broke out in a rash around my stomach and sides. Looks like a bunch of broken blood vessels and burns like hell. Now my skin is super sensitive and itches. It's been 2.5 hours since I used it but it's all still there.

Does anyone know if this is an allergic reaction to the imitrex, or is it normal? It killed the k-7 in about 10 minutes totally, but all of my skin burns. this sucks.

Eric

https://www.facebook.com/eric.mcgaha  
IP Logged

DennisM1045
CH.com Alumnus

One wave at a time!

Haverhill, Massachusetts, USA
Re: Imitrex after effects
Reply #1 - Feb 10th, 2009 at 6:41pm

This is not normal.  I'd certainly call my Dr in the AM.  If you feel swelling in your tongue, throat, difficulty breathing ... go to the ER.  Don't play tough guy.

Has anything like this happened before?  Injection site rash?  I've never heard of anyone being alergic to Imitrex.

Let us know what happens.

-Dennis-

Where there is life, there is hope.
Where there is Oxygen, you must use proper caution.
So be safe, don't smoke while using O2. Kill the pain and not yourself.
dennism1045 dennism1045 524417261 DennisM1045 DennisM1045  
IP Logged

Ray
CH.com Alumnus

Ray

Columbus, Ohio
Reply #2 - Feb 10th, 2009 at 7:50pm

Good advice Dennis.

It would be normal to have a minor flush near the injection site, or the reverse, a lighter than normal flesh tone due to the vaso constriction.  It definately sounds like an allergic reaction to something.

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

Here is a snippet from the circular which may have applied to you:

Quote:
.Skin: Infrequent were erythema, pruritus, and skin rashes and eruptions. Rare was skin tenderness

Apparently, it is an infrequent consequence of using Imitrex.

Good luck finding something else that works.  Try talking the employer into letting you keep O2 in an office, or at worst, excuse you to your car to use it when you need to.

Ray

You have my prayers and compassion-I'm right there with you.

Dum tempus habemus, operemur bonum

*While we have the time, let us do good*

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
WWW raymond.schwartz759 rayplace raymond.schwartz759 raymond759  
IP Logged

seasonalboomer
CH.com Hall of Famer

CH messes with my isness

Charlotte, NC
Reply #3 - Feb 10th, 2009 at 8:13pm

I had a somewhat similar reaction once when I was in the sun and had to inject. Scared me, it went away and all was well.

Scott

IP Logged

Sonnie
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

No. California
Reply #4 - Feb 25th, 2009 at 12:41am

I've been having (or so I thought) a low-pain/shadow cycle til late this afternoon.  I took my first Imitrex injection and boy was I sorry! Cry

Aside from the "flush" the pharmacist mentioned, I couldn't breathe, my asthma kicked in like mad.  Also it felt like my throat was closing up.  I think I was having an allergic reaction (I'm allergic to onion and get similar but milder reactions).  I was just miserable!   I'll be calling my neuro tomorrow.  Now's my chance to push the O2 and hopefully he'll go for it!

IP Logged

seasonalboomer
CH.com Hall of Famer

CH messes with my isness

Charlotte, NC
Reply #5 - Feb 25th, 2009 at 5:11am

Sonnie wrote on Feb 25th, 2009 at 12:41am:
Now's my chance to push the O2 and hopefully he'll go for it!

Get your game face on and go into that doctor with the idea that you aren't leaving without the O2 prescription.

Scott

IP Logged

Sonnie
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

No. California
Reply #6 - Feb 26th, 2009 at 10:27pm

I spoke with the neuro yesterday and he said I had anaphylaxis after taking the Imitrex.  I didn't go to ER but should have cuz it can be fatal....  Shocked

I brought up O2 as a possible replacement and he said he's not opposed to it.  He said it's extremely effective, but would like to try another med (Zomig nasal spray).  I guess I wasn't forceful enough.  As I understand it, he has prescribed it to others.

Anyway, I know this thread is about Imitrex but does anyone have any info on Zomig?  'preciate it in advance!  Smiley

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!