Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Cluster Headaches and Disability (Read 2031 times)
wraith636
CH.com Newbie

x1|Peoria|USA|usa|352|143|IL,Illinois
Cluster Headaches and Disability
Feb 10th, 2009 at 5:14am

Hi everyone been awhile since i last visited, I am in the process of filing for disability. I was turned down and was told that if I could provide some proof that other people were on disability for clusters it would help my case. so if anyone could help by either sending me an email with your name and the doctor that helped I would really appreciate it. also any suggestions from those who have been down this road would also help as the government scares me more than the frickin headaches. Plz email info to wraithtech@comcast.net

Thanks and I pray you all remain headache free

wraith636 169997207 Wraith636 Wraith636  
IP Logged

Jess
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Re: Cluster Headaches and Disability
Reply #1 - Feb 10th, 2009 at 11:01am

Hi, Wraith---I'm new here, and currently applying for short-term disability.  If I get approved, I will be happy to forward my info.  I hope I do---my boss saw me in the middle of one, sent me to the ER, and now won't let me come to work!  Between the ER, my GP, and my OB (yeah, I'm pregnant), the unanimous diagnosis is Cluster Headaches.  And they are killing me.  So hopefully I will have good news for you in the next few days...

- Jess

Jess  
IP Logged

slhaas
CH.com Veteran

West Allis, WI, USA
Reply #2 - Feb 10th, 2009 at 2:05pm

Short term, long term or permanent?  ST/LT disability have more to do with your HR department and your doctor properly filling out paperwork than anything, and though it can be frustrating, should be approved so long as your doctor agrees that it's necessary.  Permanent disability is another thing.  It's an argument with the government that your condition prevents you, permanently, from being able to function enough to sustain your living through work, and as such qualify to get financial and health care assistance.  This can be a mess, and I've read about it both being successful and denied.  Your doctor might be able to find some historical data of people that have been approved by it, as will a Google search.

It wouldn't be a bad idea to have a collection of information here, though, for easy access to members.

500716817 slhaas99  
IP Logged

Braindead
CH.com Junior

No clue No cure

x0|citrus heights|USA||0|0|CA,California
Reply #3 - Feb 12th, 2009 at 3:44pm

wraith636 wrote on Feb 10th, 2009 at 5:14am:
Hi everyone been awhile since i last visited, I am in the process of filing for disability. I was turned down and was told that if I could provide some proof that other people were on disability for clusters it would help my case. so if anyone could help by either sending me an email with your name and the doctor that helped I would really appreciate it. also any suggestions from those who have been down this road would also help as the government scares me more than the frickin headaches. Plz email info to wraithtech@comcast.net

I posted this a few mins ago and then noticed yours!!  I deleted mine and am posting with yours.  I hope you are ok with this?  if not I will delete this. This may open some good dialogue as well....

My question is has anyone applied for or gotten LTD from chronic clusters. Of course with complete documentation from work, nuro's and docs to support your claims.

I have a LTD policy I have been paying for 20+ years via my employer.  I have reached the end of my road with this SOB and just cant maintain my work life balance. I am 51 with working history all my life and 25 years with one company.

Lucky for me they have been awesome working with me over the years. I am asking about either Government SSI and or Gov Disability. 

As I say I also have work LTD program I have been paying for.

I think right up front- get a lawyer to help out????

Thank you very much in advance for any and all input,

Denis

IP Logged

UnderTheRadar
CH.com Old Timer

Literally

Texas
Reply #4 - Feb 12th, 2009 at 4:29pm

I for one will be VERY interested to see where this thread goes.  I would love to see a good pile of legalish info build up on this topic;  there's so many variations of CH and different states/countries deal with it in different ways...

I for one am having the darndest time just getting through school because there's no official system in place at my university to deal with CH in a disability-like fashion  (not like ADD or learning disabilities.)

Remember- double-line the foil, shiny side out.

IP Logged

CH-HELL
Ex Member

Reply #5 - Feb 12th, 2009 at 4:38pm

Braindead wrote on Feb 12th, 2009 at 3:44pm:
wraith636 wrote on Feb 10th, 2009 at 5:14am:

I posted this a few mins ago and then noticed yours!!  I deleted mine and am posting with yours.  I hope you are ok with this?  if not I will delete this. This may open some good dialogue as well....

My question is has anyone applied for or gotten LTD from chronic clusters. Of course with complete documentation from work, nuro's and docs to support your claims.

I have a LTD policy I have been paying for 20+ years via my employer.  I have reached the end of my road with this SOB and just cant maintain my work life balance. I am 51 with working history all my life and 25 years with one company.

Lucky for me they have been awesome working with me over the years. I am asking about either Government SSI and or Gov Disability.  

As I say I also have work LTD program I have been paying for.

I think right up front- get a lawyer to help out????

Thank you very much in advance for any and all input,

Denis

Yes a cch can get LTD,   I am 36 and have been placed on disablity retirement,  I didn't have a lawer but retirement wasn't really my idea between my employer and doctors it was decided for me.  I am not going to bring any personal details up on the board but I will gladly answer any questions through pm.
       Phil
« Last Edit: Mar 1st, 2009 at 12:03pm by N/A »  

IP Logged

Sonnie
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

No. California
Reply #6 - Feb 24th, 2009 at 5:11pm

I'm just reading and catching up on different topics so please bear with me. Smiley

This past weekend, I spoke with my cousin who for CalPERS (CA Public Employees Retirement).  I told her about my CH diagnosis and she said she knew about CHs.  She says she gets disability claims for CH sufferers.  We didn't get a chance to finish our conversation, but I plan to call her and will ask how those cases are handled.

IP Logged

Pixie-elf
CH.com Hall of Famer

I've tried the rest, and
busting is the best!

Beaumont,Tx
Reply #7 - Feb 27th, 2009 at 12:07am

I just wanted to say, I'm in Texas, and am on lifetime disability due to my other diseases.

Here? If you're applying for lifetime, without a lawyer? You're usually turned down the first time.

It was well documented that my Grandmother could not work at all due to her health. They turned her down twice. The third time she got it.

I was turned down once, I wound up on it at 13 due to the amount of chronic illnesses I have, and the severity of them. There's no way I could hold an actual job at this point, and my Mother couldn't work due to the fact I needed a caretaker. I couldn't even attend school at the time.

However.... my aunt, one of my mother's cousins, and a few other people we know have applied for short term, or long term, rather than lifetime...and gotten it without too much hassle. My Aunt couldn't work for over a year, due to a surgery and she was able to get it without a fight.

It really depends a lot on where you are. If I was capable of helping you, I would, but my CH isn't why I'm on disability...so I doubt I could help you. ^^;

Good luck, and PFDAN.
Mystina

As far as I'm concerned, cluster busting has been the best treatment I've tried. No migraines since I started it, and my hits have gotten so much better. Wanna know more?
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

It's saved my life.

IP Logged

Corax
CH.com Newbie

x0|Bellingham|USA||0|0|WA,Washington
Reply #8 - Mar 12th, 2009 at 5:16pm

I have been on permanent Social Security Disability since 1992.   I don't remember the name of my Nuro at the time.  I do know he was at the University of Washington medical center.  I could probably dig up the name of my lawyer if you want.

It took over a year and a half to get it approved and I ended up in front of a judge by the end.  I don't remember much of that time I was getting 6-8 HA a day with nothing but O2.  My family pretty much took charge of getting me on it. That session ultimately lasted about 2 years.  Maybe the sight of me as a basket case lovingly touching my O2 tank clinched it.

If you do it, understand it's pretty much a trap.  When I was in remission I called to find out if I could work and what the rules were.  I was told that if I worked for more than a few months I would be taken off disability and would have to start over from scratch when the clusters came back.  I called back several times and was given a different answer on the number of months each time.  One person said the re-application would be expedited.  I have no idea what the real rules are and I don't think any of them did either. Scared me enough that I don't even try to get a job when I'm not in session.  Not that that has been an issue lately...  I'm past 6 years in this session now... 

I'm about to move right now... so I have lots of stuff packed.  It might take me a while to find any of the info.  (my files are also a mess)

PFD All

Corax

If there is a god he's the kid that likes to pull the wings off butterflies

IP Logged

Ray
CH.com Alumnus

Ray

Columbus, Ohio
Reply #9 - Mar 12th, 2009 at 6:40pm

I have information I can share via PM if you care to ask.

Ray

You have my prayers and compassion-I'm right there with you.

Dum tempus habemus, operemur bonum

*While we have the time, let us do good*

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
WWW raymond.schwartz759 rayplace raymond.schwartz759 raymond759  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!