Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Thanks to my supporters here/Offer to help (Read 1458 times)
slhaas
CH.com Veteran

West Allis, WI, USA
Thanks to my supporters here/Offer to help
Feb 9th, 2009 at 7:31pm

Hey everyone,

I've been an on/off type visitor to clusterheadaches.com for years.   I don't know if any of you remember me or not.  I guess I'm kind of typical in that regard in my showing up when I'm hurting and dropping off when I'm not.  I check back from time to time to read some posts and offer suggestions here and there when I'm off cycle, but a simple check of my history here shows me I'm really only active during cycles.  It's tough with the daily grind of life to keep up with such things, and when you're PF it's not always something you want to think about.  

I came here originally in the midst of a bad cycle with little income and a doctor that was fighting me at every step.  I didn't have anywhere to turn, and found this site.  It truly changed my life.  I found people dealing with the same issues, a ton of suggestions, and often just moral support that made all the difference in the world.  Things got worse before they got better because I lost my job, had no insurance, and entered into a monster cycle about a year later.  Again, this board was salvation.  The moral support and suggestions turned into personal assistance, help with getting medicine/oxygen and even a clustermasx.  People stumbled over one another to offer me kind words, advice and help as best they could, and I'll never forget it.  

I again turned away when things got better and made only my token stops here and there.  Since then my life has improved on all fronts.  I've gotten a great job and started to pull myself out of debt.  I have good insurance and a great doctor, and a wonderful supporter at home; though I try to insulate her from this beast as much as I possibly can.  Though it's not the best of times for any of us in the US with our economy, job losses, etc., I look back and compare where I was 2-3 years ago, and am so very thankful to be where I am now.  A lot of that came from the support starting right here that helped me live with this and start my life over instead of dreading each day and shutting down for months at a time during a cycle.  

I realized that I should pay some of this back, and started visiting more frequently even though I am under control.  The first thing I noticed was how I've missed out on all of these meet & greets and conferences.  One was in my own back yard.  What a waste.  I found that even when I'm not seeking advice or support that the people here are truly some of the kindest I've ever met.   I went to see Brew & Brew Jr.'s band and we talked about possibly getting a Wisconsin area meet going, all from a simple interest check post, and again, they couldn't have been friendlier (and Chapter 2 was awesome - Sorry I didn't see the other band).

I can't promise that I'll be the most active member here as I tend to get side tracked a lot in life, but a recent tough cycle is proof that I'll always have a reminder to help out here.  I can promise that I'd like to try to be a bigger part of this community and help as many people as I can.  I don't know exactly when or how I'll do this, but I'm going to keep the door open.

I've become somewhat of an expert as to how CHs work with employment, FMLA leave, ADA protection, short term disability, etc.  I've even found a few people locally that will deal on O2 outside of your insurance as long as you bring the tanks in for refills (medical grade).  I've tried just about every herbal/natural remedy there is for this with varying degrees of success including some of the not-so-legal offerings.  I can offer assistance in those areas, local support if possible, and even just a person to vent to if that will help.  If I ever strike it rich I'll pump a bunch of money into the cause, this site, OUCH, etc., but until then I guess you'll just have to make do with my moral support.

Besides the Brew/Brew Jr.  for their show and Brew's recent help in trying to arrange a local meet, I'd also like to thank Chopmyheadoff, Guiseppi, BobW/Bobwold and Melissa (the last two apparently being ex-members now) for their help in the past.  

I'd especially like to single out and thank Kcopelin, Ben_uk, Bikerbob for their remarkable help over those years.

Well enough sap, but thanks again to everyone for being here, and please let me know if you need anything!

Steve
« Last Edit: Feb 10th, 2009 at 12:59pm by slhaas »  
500716817 slhaas99  
IP Logged

George
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

Black-Billed Magpie

Boise, Idaho USA
Re: Thanks to my supporters here/Offer to help
Reply #1 - Feb 9th, 2009 at 7:43pm

Happy to hear that you're planning to stick around a bit more, Steve.  You are most welcome. 

Your unflagging support for others while you've been fighting your own battle has not gone unnoticed and unappreciated.  You are a real asset to this site, and the people here.

Grab an oar, and let's get rowin'.   Wink

All the best,

George

"Whoever loveth me, loveth my hound."  (Thomas More, author of "Utopia", and Chancellor of England.  1477-1535)
WWW George jacox6820 7165032563  
IP Logged

Jackie
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

Go For It!!!

Goshen, IN
Reply #2 - Feb 9th, 2009 at 7:50pm

Nice post, Steve.  Thank you!   Smiley

« Last Edit: Feb 9th, 2009 at 7:55pm by Jackie »  

IP Logged

RobertPPD
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #3 - Feb 9th, 2009 at 9:12pm

Well much like slhaas, I was first drawn here during a very bad time also.  I was being fired and trying to decide what the heck I should do next. (Back in 2000 on the old board.)  I was given alot of advice and I decided to try to fight it out with my employers.  It took 3 years in federal court, but I was actually back to work in about 14 months due to arbitration.  I have been back since, but more for my support than for supporting others.  Sorry about that, I'm going to try to be more supportive of others for a change, so expect me to be here and participating much more frequently.  Anyone ever have questions about the legal side, let me know.  I did most of the research for my attorney during the legal battle.   Thanks for being here.

IP Logged

Ray
CH.com Alumnus

Ray

Columbus, Ohio
Reply #4 - Feb 9th, 2009 at 9:20pm

Welcome back to the family!

Ray

You have my prayers and compassion-I'm right there with you.

Dum tempus habemus, operemur bonum

*While we have the time, let us do good*

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
WWW raymond.schwartz759 rayplace raymond.schwartz759 raymond759  
IP Logged

slhaas
CH.com Veteran

West Allis, WI, USA
Reply #5 - Feb 9th, 2009 at 9:24pm

RobertPPD wrote on Feb 9th, 2009 at 9:12pm:
Well much like slhaas, I was first drawn here during a very bad time also.  I was being fired and trying to decide what the heck I should do next. (Back in 2000 on the old board.)  I was given alot of advice and I decided to try to fight it out with my employers.  It took 3 years in federal court, but I was actually back to work in about 14 months due to arbitration.  I have been back since, but more for my support than for supporting others.  Sorry about that, I'm going to try to be more supportive of others for a change, so expect me to be here and participating much more frequently.  Anyone ever have questions about the legal side, let me know.  I did most of the research for my attorney during the legal battle.   Thanks for being here.

What happened exactly?  Were you termintated because of the headaches?  They took you back while you fought in court?  Wow... did you use FMLA or ADA or disability leave protection before the termination?  I've wondered what would happen if you used up your federal FMLA days (sometimes you lose a day for an incident that is part of the day) and you still have interference at work from the headaches in that year.  I assume termination would follow, but what recourse would exist?  Anyone have any experience with that?

500716817 slhaas99  
IP Logged

RobertPPD
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #6 - Feb 9th, 2009 at 9:52pm

First off, I was separated from the Marine Corps in 1993 due to ch.  I had received a head injury during Desert Storm/Shield which started ch.  I then joined a local police department, I was hired with the full knowledge of the disability from the Marine Corps, they even received funds from the VA for the first 18 months.  After working there for 6 years, the Chief and I had a disagreement and he thought to use absenteeism against me and terminate me.  I spoke to the mayor and the city solicitor and explained that I was hired with the disablity, that the city had full knowledge.  The mayor and chief denied this up through the initial arbitration hearing, but then a statement I had been required to write for entrance to the state academy was located, it had been required specifically due to the disability.  The arbitrator ruled in my favor and ordered my return to work and that I be made whole.  Then the chief kept up the b-s, changing my shift, restricting my hours and I finally told him and the mayor that if it didn't stop, I had spoken to an attorney and would sue them under the ada.  The very next incident, I filed with the EEOC.  They conducted a brief (quite disappointing) investigation and gave me my right to sue.  Which in other words, they felt that a violation had occurred but they were not going to pursue it themselves.  So we filed in fed district court, 3 years later we finally reached an agreement and I took the settlement.  I took the settlement after having a heart to heart with the senior judge, he explained that if it did go to trial, I stood the chance of a jury actually ruling that I was to disabled to perform the duties of a police officer.

IP Logged

RobertPPD
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #7 - Feb 9th, 2009 at 9:56pm

Regarding the FMLA, I am know on periodic FMLA, 12 weeks per year, taken as needed by me.  By using it, I am protected from any harassment due to sick time usage.  I last went through the process of filing for it in Jan 2007.  It is supposed to be an annual or calender triggered thing, but I have checked as recently as Dec 2008 and they advise that I'm ok, that I do not need to refile, I'll continue to check.

IP Logged

RobertPPD
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #8 - Feb 9th, 2009 at 10:04pm

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

The above link was when it all started.

IP Logged

slhaas
CH.com Veteran

West Allis, WI, USA
Reply #9 - Feb 10th, 2009 at 12:33pm

RobertPPD wrote on Feb 9th, 2009 at 9:52pm:
First off, I was separated from the Marine Corps in 1993 due to ch.  I had received a head injury during Desert Storm/Shield which started ch.  I then joined a local police department, I was hired with the full knowledge of the disability from the Marine Corps, they even received funds from the VA for the first 18 months.  After working there for 6 years, the Chief and I had a disagreement and he thought to use absenteeism against me and terminate me.  I spoke to the mayor and the city solicitor and explained that I was hired with the disablity, that the city had full knowledge.  The mayor and chief denied this up through the initial arbitration hearing, but then a statement I had been required to write for entrance to the state academy was located, it had been required specifically due to the disability.  The arbitrator ruled in my favor and ordered my return to work and that I be made whole.  Then the chief kept up the b-s, changing my shift, restricting my hours and I finally told him and the mayor that if it didn't stop, I had spoken to an attorney and would sue them under the ada.  The very next incident, I filed with the EEOC.  They conducted a brief (quite disappointing) investigation and gave me my right to sue.  Which in other words, they felt that a violation had occurred but they were not going to pursue it themselves.  So we filed in fed district court, 3 years later we finally reached an agreement and I took the settlement.  I took the settlement after having a heart to heart with the senior judge, he explained that if it did go to trial, I stood the chance of a jury actually ruling that I was to disabled to perform the duties of a police officer.

Wow!  I am glad you were able to come to some resolution here.  A lot of people are more willing to intervene or understand when they grasp the scope of this condition.  Some, however, are not. 

RobertPPD wrote on Feb 9th, 2009 at 9:56pm:
Regarding the FMLA, I am know on periodic FMLA, 12 weeks per year, taken as needed by me.  By using it, I am protected from any harassment due to sick time usage.  I last went through the process of filing for it in Jan 2007.  It is supposed to be an annual or calender triggered thing, but I have checked as recently as Dec 2008 and they advise that I'm ok, that I do not need to refile, I'll continue to check.

Yeah I think that's what I get too.  There are 12 weeks by Federal protection and some states have additional time allotted.  They run concurrently though.  In WI you have a certain number of weeks by State law (2), but it's less than the 12 Federal Weeks so when the Federal runs out you're done... kind of.  The Federal FMLA is on a rolling 12 month calendar, so if you take a week in July you don't get that week back until the following July.  The WI State FMLA is on an annual calendar, so it resets on January 1st of every year.  So, if you exhausted your 12 weeks, and thus also your 2 weeks for the State, in December, you'd have an additional 2 weeks starting Jan. 1 and you'd gain back time throughout the next year as you'd used in the previous year.  I don't know how it works for other States, and I'd guess WI is pretty good, but there are likely similar provisions for other States.  Just Google "(YOUR STATE) FMLA".  I have NO idea how it works in other countries.

500716817 slhaas99  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!