Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Medical Opinions (Read 3318 times)
wmjohn76012
CH.com Newbie

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

x0|Arlington|USA||0|0|TX,Texas
Medical Opinions
Feb 7th, 2009 at 8:43am

I think it important to really read the data that is out there and not just bits and pieces before comming on here and posting like a medical expert on this subject. This is a place to find out what you can about the issue and condition. To respond to peoples posts with condecending nonfounded medical opinions as though they are facts is not only rude but, could actually do more harm than good. I would like to know if anyone on here has actually read any of the studies that have been conducted out there and if they gave you a better understadning on your condition? I am toying with the idea of the correlation of sleep apnea and cluster heads. I know that the two seem unrelated but, there are convincing studies by actual experts that suggest there may be a connection. In otherwords people that have sleep apnea seem to most always have bouts of cluster headaches. Now ofcourse the studies piont out that many Cluster Heads do not have sleep apnea. The seratonin connection is very interesting as well as the H2O connection with the two conditions. Wink

IP Logged

George
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

Black-Billed Magpie

Boise, Idaho USA
Re: Medical Opinions
Reply #1 - Feb 7th, 2009 at 8:49am

wmjohn76012 wrote on Feb 7th, 2009 at 8:43am:
I am toying with the idea of the correlation of sleep apnea and cluster heads. I know that the two seem unrelated but, there are convincing studies by actual experts that suggest there may be a connection.

Links would be helpful and most appreciated, if available.

Best wishes,

George

"Whoever loveth me, loveth my hound."  (Thomas More, author of "Utopia", and Chancellor of England.  1477-1535)
WWW George jacox6820 7165032563  
IP Logged

Marc
Ex Member

Reply #2 - Feb 7th, 2009 at 9:12am

................ In otherwords people that have sleep apnea seem to most always have bouts of cluster headaches............................

Based on your initial comments, I would love to see the studies you are referencing because I haven't seen this yet.

Marc

IP Logged

Bob Johnson
CH.com Alumnus

"Only the educated are
free." -Epictetus

Kennett Square, PA (USA)
Reply #3 - Feb 7th, 2009 at 9:19am

Your general comment about not pushing personal views as medical fact is well taken. But none of us have the training to evaluate medical studies which we often post and, as you are aware, the evolving nature of research is such that, even if we could evaluate material, in an area like CH, many of the findings are tentative.
=========
Cephalalgia. 2003 May;23(4):276-9.

Cluster headache associated with sleep apnoea.

Nobre ME, Filho PF, Dominici M.

Universidade Federal Fluminense, Rio de Janeiro, Brasil. eduarda@imagelink.com.br

This study of sleep changes in patients with cluster headache (CH) was conducted in view of the nocturnal predominance of this condition, the efficacy of oxygen and the fact that the attacks follow oxygen desaturation. Proposed mechanisms include impairment of carotid body activity secondary to hypothalamic vasomotor regulatory dysfunction. Sixteen patients with episodic CH and 29 healthy volunteers underwent nocturnal polysomnography. Five (31.3%) patients with episodic CH were found to have sleep apnoea (SA). Two patients with SA experienced two attacks during the study period. The attacks followed episodes of oxygen desaturation and were associated with REM sleep. In two patients with SA and CH, treatment with continuous positive airway pressure abolished their oxygen desaturation, sleep apnoeas and headaches. OUR STUDY CONFIRMED THE HIGH PERCENTAGE OF CH ASSOCIATED WITH SA. WE SUGGEST THAT OXYGEN DESATURATION MAY BE A TRIGGER FACTOR IN SOME PATIENTS AND PLAY A ROLE IN THE PATHOGENESIS OF CH.

Publication Types:
Comparative Study

PMID: 12716345 [PubMed]
--------------
Headache. 2004 Jun;44(6):607-10. 

Obstructive sleep apnea and cluster headache.

Graff-Radford SB, Newman A.

The Pain Center, Cedars Sinai Medical Center and UCLA School of Dentistry, Los Angeles, CA 90048, USA.

A patient with cluster headache often wakes from sleep. The relationship to sleep apnea has been described. This study sought to confirm the relationship cluster may have with sleep apnea. METHODS: Thirty-nine consecutive patients diagnosed with episodic cluster headache according to the International Headache Society (IHS) criteria were sent for polysomnographic studies. All patients were in an active phase when they were in the study. Patients were told of the proposed relationship and were allowed to choose a sleep laboratory close to their home. RESULTS: Thirty-one patients with episodic cluster headache completed an overnight polysomnographic study. Twenty-three were male and eight female. The average age was 51 years (range 33 to 78 years). The average weight was 173 pounds (range 117 to 260 pounds). A total of 80.64% had sleep apnea (25/31). Average respiratory depression index (RDI) was 19.0 (SD 14.6) with 6 patients having no apnea, 10 having mild, 11 having moderate, and 4 having severe apnea (RDI < 5 = none; RDI 5 to 20 mild; RDI 20 to 40 moderate; RDI > 40 severe). Oxygen saturation decreased on average to 88.4% SD 4.5. Sleep efficiency was 76.2% (SD 13.4). CONCLUSIONS: The data closely approximate those of Chervin et al, where 80% had RDI > 5.

THE RELATIONSHIP SLEEP APNEA HAS IN THE PERPETUATION OR PRECIPITATION OF CLUSTER HEADACHE IS STILL TO BE DETERMINED. THERE ARE SOME REPORTS THAT TREATMENT STOPS THE CLUSTER BUT THERE IS NO PROSPECTIVE STUDY. THE HIGH INCIDENCE (80.64%) SEEN IN THIS POPULATION SUGGESTS THE CLUSTER PATIENT SHOULD RECEIVE A SLEEP EVALUATION AND PERHAPS INTERVENTION WITH CONTINUOUS POSITIVE AIRWAY PRESSURE (CPAP) OR AN APPROPRIATE DENTAL DEVICE.

PMID: 15186306 
----------------
Ch, sleep apnea and heart disease
« on: Jun 15th, 2005, 11:00am »  Quote  Modify  Remove 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

There have been a few reports posted here about the substantial % of CH folks who have sleep apnea and its association with CH.

Here, we have a report adding more evidence to the warnings that sleep apnea can both lead to heart disease and increase the risks in folks who have already been diagnosed with heart disease. 

Although "positive airway pressure" therapy may be difficult to live with, this study indicates why continuing it with has some significiant benefits.
-------------

Sleep Apnea Therapy Improves Cardiovascular Outcomes

By Will Boggs, MD

NEW YORK (Reuters Health) Jun 13 - Nasal continuous positive airway pressure (CPAP) therapy lowers cardiovascular death rates in patients with obstructive sleep apnea (OSA), according to a report in the June issue of Chest.

"We believe that these findings provide a strong basis for physicians to encourage compliance with CPAP in patients with OSA, particularly in severe cases, based on the strong likelihood that such patients, if untreated, are at substantially higher risk of cardiovascular complications," Dr. Walter T. McNicholas from St. Vincent's University Hospital, Dublin told Reuters Health.

Dr. McNicholas and colleagues compared the cardiovascular outcomes over more than 7 years of 107 patients with OSA who continued to receive CPAP therapy with 61 similar patients who had quit therapy.

A significantly smaller proportion of patients continuing CPAP therapy experienced cardiovascular death (1.9%) than did patients who discontinued CPAP (14.8%), the authors report.

Most deaths in the untreated group were during the night or early morning hours, the investigators note, and four of the nine deaths were sudden and unexpected. Only two CPAP-treated patients died of cardiovascular causes during follow-up.

There were also significantly more cardiovascular events (death and new cardiovascular disease combined) in the untreated patients (31%) than in the CPAP-treated patients (18%), the results indicate.

Among the patients who died, there were no differences in age at diagnosis, body mass index, or apnea/hypopnea index, the researchers note.

The two groups did not differ in body mass index (which did not change significantly), subsequent otolaryngologic surgery, or smoking behavior during follow-up, the report indicates.

"OSA is a substantial contributing factor to cardiovascular disease, and cardiologists should be aware of this association, particularly since our data indicate substantial cardiovascular benefit from treatment of the disorder," Dr. McNicholas concluded.

"We are currently engaged in an extensive translational project examining the relationship between intermittent hypoxia (which is characteristic of OSA) and the activation of inflammatory pathways that predispose to atherogenesis," Dr. McNicholas explained. "These studies involve a cell culture model of intermittent hypoxia and also the measurement of various inflammatory and adaptive cytokines in patients with OSA."

Bob Johnson

IP Logged

FramCire
CH.com Alumnus

Life like a froward child
must be humored a little

Bolivar, MO USA
Reply #4 - Feb 7th, 2009 at 10:18am

In otherwords people that have sleep apnea seem to most always have bouts of cluster headaches.

I think this is very much a false statement.  I know tons of people with apnea and very few have CH.  Even such a small sample set shows that this statement is likely false.

If you have a study, Id be interested in reading it.

You've overstayed your welcome since the day we met but it doesn't seem to matter to you.  No medications are your master, nothing makes you fret, it's a helpless feeling having nothing I can do

IP Logged

Bob Johnson
CH.com Alumnus

"Only the educated are
free." -Epictetus

Kennett Square, PA (USA)
Reply #5 - Feb 7th, 2009 at 11:52am

See new message, "sleep apnea & cluster", in this section.

Bob Johnson

IP Logged

Guiseppi
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

San Diego to Florida 05-16-2011

SAN DIEGO, CALIFORNIA USA
Reply #6 - Feb 7th, 2009 at 4:49pm

I think you may have mis-interpreted the purpose of this board. We don't prescribe or administer meds to anyone. We tell people:

A whole bunch of us tried wrapping our heads in aluminum foil and snorting banana juice, and it didn't work. I wouldn't try that as a front line abortive.

A whole bunch of us get instant relief from huffing 02, I'd try that before the banana peel aluminum foil abortive.

In this manner, newbies get an idea of what is working for a large percentage of people with CH. This is material they can take back to their doctor, and under a doctors care, develop a treatment plan that gives them a higher percentage of relief.

When someone comes on the board and says he cured CH with something like a CPAP machine, we are quick to point out to the newbies that many of our sufferers have sleep apnea and use the machine, it seems to have no effect, positive or negative on their CH. While they may be the one in 10,000,000 that a CPAP machine would stop their CH, I feel it's more beneficial to give them the high percentage treatments first.

I am certainly not in the same league as a Bob Johnson in his ability to research, digest and post the studies he does. (All worth reading by the way). But that fact doesn't mean I'm not qualified to post as a sufferer who has found succesful methods to manage his CH.

Joe

"Somebody had to say it" is usually a piss poor excuse to be mean.

IP Logged

monty
CH.com Hall of Famer

The Swamp, Florida
Reply #7 - Feb 7th, 2009 at 5:37pm

... In otherwords people that have sleep apnea seem to most always have bouts of cluster headaches.

That is backwards.  Millions of people that have sleep apnea do not have cluster headaches. A very high percent of people with clusters do have apnea ... this indicates that apnea may be a contributing factor.  Given the fact that apnea is a dangerous condition (whether or not there are headaches), I suggest that anyone who has cluster headaches is a priority for getting a sleep study.
« Last Edit: Feb 7th, 2009 at 5:46pm by monty »  

The outer boundary of what we currently believe is feasible is far short of what we actually must do.

IP Logged

BlueMeanie
Ex Member

Reply #8 - Feb 7th, 2009 at 6:49pm

I think it important to really read the data that is out there and not just bits and pieces before comming on here and posting like a medical expert on this subject.

I am toying with the idea of the correlation of sleep apnea and cluster heads. I know that the two seem unrelated but, there are convincing studies by actual experts that suggest there may be a connection. In otherwords people that have sleep apnea seem to most always have bouts of cluster headaches. Wink

Looks like you broke your own rules.

IP Logged

Pinkfloyd
CH.com Hall of Famer

comfortably numb

x0||USA||||IL,Illinois
Reply #9 - Feb 8th, 2009 at 4:36pm

To respond to peoples posts with condecending nonfounded medical opinions as though they are facts is not only rude but, could actually do more harm than good.

Agreed.

very interesting as well as the H2O connection with the two conditions. Wink

Does the water X 3 treatment also work for sleep apnea?  Roll Eyes

Bobw
Who realizes that a simple typo isn't all that significant but in the context of this post was quite ironic, I thought.
Besides, over 100,000 people a year die in hospitals that shouldn't but do, because of medical mistakes such as prescription typos. So, they can be important.

P.P.S. Potter is the kinder and gentler one.  Wink

"those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience."
- C.S. Lewis
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
WWW psiloscribe pinkshroomrat  
IP Logged

Grinner62
CH.com Veteran

Wichita Falls,Texas
Reply #10 - Feb 9th, 2009 at 9:49pm

Guiseppi wrote on Feb 7th, 2009 at 4:49pm:
A whole bunch of us tried wrapping our heads in aluminum foil and snorting banana juice, and it didn't work. I wouldn't try that as a front line abortive.

I missed that memo. I can still keep the hat to foil the black helicopters though?

IP Logged

Guiseppi
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

Reply #11 - Feb 9th, 2009 at 10:35pm

I can still keep the hat to foil the black helicopters though?

Dude...keep the foil hat on...ALWAYS  keep the foil hat on...the feds can't hear anythng you think........ Shocked

Joe Wink

IP Logged

Brew
CH.com Sponsor
CH.com Alumnus

Reply #12 - Feb 9th, 2009 at 10:38pm

But the shiny side has to be facing in.

"I have been asked if I have changed in these past 25 years. No, I am the same. Only more so."  --Ayn Rand

IP Logged

Jimi
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

Don't feed the moderators

Madisonville, KY
Reply #13 - Feb 9th, 2009 at 11:57pm

Now THAT is entirely untrue. Everyone that has been around for at LEAST 10 years knows that the shiny part has to be facing out.  Roll Eyes

I am convinced that life is 10% what happens to me and 90% how I react to it.
http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/ Hendrix1473  
IP Logged

Brew
CH.com Sponsor
CH.com Alumnus

Reply #14 - Feb 10th, 2009 at 7:21am

I thought I could sneak one by ya.

"I have been asked if I have changed in these past 25 years. No, I am the same. Only more so."  --Ayn Rand

IP Logged

Marc
Ex Member

Reply #15 - Feb 10th, 2009 at 3:27pm

No such thing as too much protection, so mine is multi-layered with the shiny side reversed on each layer. Some things just aren’t worth taking a chance on......

IP Logged

Brew
CH.com Sponsor
CH.com Alumnus

Reply #16 - Feb 10th, 2009 at 3:36pm

Marc wrote on Feb 10th, 2009 at 3:27pm:
No such thing as too much protection, so mine is multi-layered with the shiny side reversed on each layer. Some things just aren’t worth taking a chance on......

Especially when it comes to the government stealing your essences.

IP Logged

UnderTheRadar
CH.com Old Timer

Literally

Texas
Reply #17 - Feb 10th, 2009 at 6:46pm

I thought only the Skexis stole essences!

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

Grin

Remember- double-line the foil, shiny side out.

IP Logged

Guiseppi
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

Reply #18 - Feb 10th, 2009 at 6:54pm

Thas messed up.... Shocked

Joe

IP Logged

monty
CH.com Hall of Famer

The Swamp, Florida
Reply #19 - Feb 10th, 2009 at 8:58pm

UnderTheRadar wrote on Feb 10th, 2009 at 6:46pm:
I thought only the Skexis stole essences!

Grin

Who do ya think invented government??

I go for the laminate composite foils myself - more effective, more durable, quieter. 

The outer boundary of what we currently believe is feasible is far short of what we actually must do.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!