Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Sleep Apnea (Read 1763 times)
wmjohn76012
CH.com Newbie

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

x0|Arlington|USA||0|0|TX,Texas
Sleep Apnea
Feb 5th, 2009 at 9:31am

There are many people in the woorld that suffer from cluster headaches because of sleep apnea. I am one of those people with some expereince with them. I have severe sleep apnea and after 45k in surgeries and being assited with a CPAP for 3 years I still have the cluster headaches from time to time. Once a month. The reason I know it is a clusterheadache and not a migrane is because they go away in about 20 minutes-3 hours and always come when I am asleep. I know that it is probably from loss of oxygen while I am sleeping however while having had the surgeries and using the CPAP faithfully I can not understand hwo I could be having loss of oxygen still? I sometimes think the strap around my head and neck have something to do with it but, I was getting htem when I did not use this CPAP, so I don't know I guess I am just cursed with them. My Doc. perscribes hydrocodone for my nueropathy and the headaches but soemtimes I think it makes them worse? I don't know what to do the pain is unbearable. I am grateful to be alive. God Bless you all. If you are a sleep apnea suffering from the waking up with the worst head and neck pain you have ever had post a line here and tell me what helps you. I find caffiene helps me a little. Cry

IP Logged

Brew
CH.com Sponsor
CH.com Alumnus

Re: Sleep Apnea
Reply #1 - Feb 5th, 2009 at 10:04am

Quote:
There are many people in the woorld that suffer from cluster headaches because of sleep apnea.

Not.

Correlation is not causation.

I have both. A number of us have both. But one is not caused by the other.

I started treating my sleep apnea in 2000. Started sleeping better right away. I still do to this day. But I'm still a clusterhead.

Do you see the implication in your statement? It implies that if you treat one, the other will go away. I'm just not down with that.

Welcome, by the way.

"I have been asked if I have changed in these past 25 years. No, I am the same. Only more so."  --Ayn Rand

IP Logged

Guiseppi
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

San Diego to Florida 05-16-2011

SAN DIEGO, CALIFORNIA USA
Reply #2 - Feb 5th, 2009 at 11:00am

Welcome to the board. Brew is right, you have 2 separate distinct problems that you need to treat. Glad you got the CPAP machine, have heard it works wonders for the sleep issues. For Cluster Headaches.....

A 2 pronged approach, separate and distinct from your apnea.

1: a good prevenataive medication. This is a medication you take daily to reduce the frequency and the intensity of your hits. I use lithium, others use verapamil or topomax, some combine the lithium and verapamil to get relief. Others on the med board to read about and discuss with your doctor.

2: a good abortive medication. The headache starts, now what? Your first line abortive should be oxygen. Read the oxygen link on the left. I can abort an attack in 6-8 minutes using oxygen, but it must be used correctly. Imitrex injectables work very well but there is some concern overuse can extend cycles.

I am very concerned about your doctor. No knock on him but it doesn't sound like he knows much about CH. Painkillers are worthless for CH and cause significant problems.

Glad you found the board. Now it's up to you to educate yourself and assist your doctor in your treatment. The good news is you'll never be alone again.

Joe

"Somebody had to say it" is usually a piss poor excuse to be mean.

IP Logged

DennisM1045
CH.com Alumnus

One wave at a time!

Haverhill, Massachusetts, USA
Reply #3 - Feb 5th, 2009 at 12:38pm

Great advice above. 

I just wanted to add my welcome to the list.  I'm sorry you had to find us but I'm glad you did.  Wink

-Dennis-

Where there is life, there is hope.
Where there is Oxygen, you must use proper caution.
So be safe, don't smoke while using O2. Kill the pain and not yourself.
dennism1045 dennism1045 524417261 DennisM1045 DennisM1045  
IP Logged

slhaas
CH.com Veteran

West Allis, WI, USA
Reply #4 - Feb 5th, 2009 at 4:32pm

There seems to be a growing connection between the two, but not the understanding of why.  I doubt it's the oxygen issue really.  Oxygen (pure) in high volume helps CHs because of it's affect on your blood vessels.  Stopping breating doesn't seem to me like it would do the opposite and trigger an attack.  There very well may be a connection, but what the connection is, and why are not fully understood.  Heck, the reason CHs happen in the first place isn't known.

500716817 slhaas99  
IP Logged

Marc
Ex Member

Reply #5 - Feb 5th, 2009 at 7:09pm

slhaas wrote on Feb 5th, 2009 at 4:32pm:
There seems to be a growing connection between the two, but not the understanding of why.  I doubt it's the oxygen issue really.  Oxygen (pure) in high volume helps CHs because of it's affect on your blood vessels.  Stopping breating doesn't seem to me like it would do the opposite and trigger an attack.  There very well may be a connection, but what the connection is, and why are not fully understood.  Heck, the reason CHs happen in the first place isn't known.

A couple of comments/questions:

- Is there really a "growing" connection between the two? It was kicked around here heavily many years ago without a lot of studies to offer insight. Anecdotal data does not seem to have changed much since then. I'm honestly curious if I've missed something new on this.

- I'm not convinced that O2 works so well strictly because of it's effect constricting blood vessels. Some pretty darn good doctors and researchers are still saying that arterial expansion may be a product of the attack, not the cause. Same with Triptans.

Just food for thought and nothing more...

Respectfully,

Marc

IP Logged

Guiseppi
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

San Diego to Florida 05-16-2011

SAN DIEGO, CALIFORNIA USA
Reply #6 - Feb 5th, 2009 at 7:26pm

Good question on both fronts. There is a growing belief that it's not all connected to the constrictive effects of the 02 that makes it so danged effective. Someone said the research on CH is like 10 blind guys describing an elephant. I'm not sure they'll put it all together in my lifetime! Wink

Joe

"Somebody had to say it" is usually a piss poor excuse to be mean.

IP Logged

slhaas
CH.com Veteran

West Allis, WI, USA
Reply #7 - Feb 5th, 2009 at 7:39pm

Marc wrote on Feb 5th, 2009 at 7:09pm:
slhaas wrote on Feb 5th, 2009 at 4:32pm:
There seems to be a growing connection between the two, but not the understanding of why.  I doubt it's the oxygen issue really.  Oxygen (pure) in high volume helps CHs because of it's affect on your blood vessels.  Stopping breating doesn't seem to me like it would do the opposite and trigger an attack.  There very well may be a connection, but what the connection is, and why are not fully understood.  Heck, the reason CHs happen in the first place isn't known.

A couple of comments/questions:

- Is there really a "growing" connection between the two? It was kicked around here heavily many years ago without a lot of studies to offer insight. Anecdotal data does not seem to have changed much since then. I'm honestly curious if I've missed something new on this.

- I'm not convinced that O2 works so well strictly because of it's effect constricting blood vessels. Some pretty darn good doctors and researchers are still saying that arterial expansion may be a product of the attack, not the cause. Same with Triptans.

Just food for thought and nothing more...

Respectfully,

Marc

With respect to the oxygen point I agree.  I was stating that oxygen helps to aleviate pain for peolpe for reasons similar to imitrex, etc.  It doesn't necessarily treat the cause, but the symptum, and as such I don't think that oxygen deprivation caused by apnea would be a cause or trigger fo CHs, but then again who knows.  I would think that using the CPAP would fix this if it were true, and it didn't, so that makes sense to me.

As for the growing connection I am basing that simply on the opinion of my doctors.  They both referenced some data on the idea that there seems to be a connection and more & more so.  I don't know how old their data is, but it does seem that there is a greater percentage of CH sufferers with sleep apnea than the population at large.  I wouldn't go so far as to say that they may be medically linked, but it could be just another byproduct or coincidence.

500716817 slhaas99  
IP Logged

slhaas
CH.com Veteran

West Allis, WI, USA
Reply #8 - Feb 5th, 2009 at 7:40pm

Guiseppi wrote on Feb 5th, 2009 at 7:26pm:
Good question on both fronts. There is a growing belief that it's not all connected to the constrictive effects of the 02 that makes it so danged effective. Someone said the research on CH is like 10 blind guys describing an elephant. I'm not sure they'll put it all together in my lifetime! Wink

Joe

So very true.

500716817 slhaas99  
IP Logged

GrandPotentate
CH.com Old Timer

mmmmmmmmmm

Michigan City, IN  USA
Reply #9 - Feb 12th, 2009 at 7:14am

I'm glad to see some comments on this.  I'm going through sleep studies right now.  My gp thinks he has found the cure (he is yound and so naiive...) to all my problems.  What I'm seeing here and in Bob Johnson's thread is that there is some relationship, but maybe just coincidence.  I get most of my hits while I'm wide awake in the evening, and a few during the night, so I was having a difficult time understanding a hard relationship between the two.

But I'm hearing from this, that I should continue to look at the whole breathing thing on its own merit.  I don't hear a bunch of folks saying cpap will make CH worse, and some believe it might make it better.

Thanks!

Jon

IP Logged

on my knees
Ex Member

Reply #10 - Feb 12th, 2009 at 7:52am

i  use a cpap too, and i think that when i do sleep i get deeper sleep which helps from the exhaustion ch leaves us with. alot of my hits  are during the day and evening with only a couple at night and since the cpap i am able to get back to sleep a little easier.
as far as narc's use caution my friend they can cause their own rebound ha's and truly are very effective on ch much. at least for me. Cool

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!