Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Got a question (Read 1063 times)
BarbaraD
CH.com Alumnus

Hugs to ya

Douglasville, TX
Got a question
Feb 5th, 2009 at 6:25am

This isn't really CH related, but that never stopped me before.

A friend of mine had a CAT-scan with contrast a week ago. They also gave him Cepro for an infection. That night he took one of the Cepro and another the next morning.

The problem, the next morning he turned a bright red (like he had a BAD sunburn - a really bad one) and his face and arms swelled up with it. We talked to the doctor and she said cut out the Cepro and give him Benadryl which we did.

The "sunburn" did NOT go away (it stayed a "bright" red) for four days and is still a dull red and he's peeling now and itching. (Like a sunburn)

Question: Has anyone heard of a CAT-scan doing this to a person? It's been a week now and he's still having problems. He's going back to the doctor today (OK, he's a man and stubborn about going back --"It's going to get better!") He's never been alergic to iodine and eats seafood, so it's a mystery to me. I just don't think an alergic reaction to Cepro would last this long.

Anyone????

Hugs BD

What don't kill ya, Makes ya stronger!

IP Logged

DennisM1045
CH.com Alumnus

One wave at a time!

Haverhill, Massachusetts, USA
Re: Got a question
Reply #1 - Feb 5th, 2009 at 10:42am

Here are the skin related side effects from rxlist.com:

Quote:
SKIN/HYPERSENSITIVITY: allergic reaction, pruritus, urticaria, photosensitivity/ phototoxicity reaction, flushing, fever, chills, angioedema, edema of the face, neck, lips, conjunctivae or hands, cutaneous candidiasis, hyperpigmentation, erythema nodosum, sweating

A dermatologist once perscribed a "simple" antibiotic for one of my daughters to treat acne.  In the list of side effects was "can turn the nose blue".  We all laughed.

24 hours after her 1st dose, sure enough, her nose turned blue.  We took her off the med right away but her nose stayed that way for almost a month.

-Dennis-

Where there is life, there is hope.
Where there is Oxygen, you must use proper caution.
So be safe, don't smoke while using O2. Kill the pain and not yourself.
dennism1045 dennism1045 524417261 DennisM1045 DennisM1045  
IP Logged

Ray
CH.com Alumnus

Ray

Columbus, Ohio
Reply #2 - Feb 5th, 2009 at 11:14am

If you got enough X radiation to burn your skin, the tech would have had to been totally inept.  Either the contrast medium or the antibiotic caused the skin to be extra light sensitive and caused the sunburn.  I would bet my last dollar on it.

Ray

You have my prayers and compassion-I'm right there with you.

Dum tempus habemus, operemur bonum

*While we have the time, let us do good*

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
WWW raymond.schwartz759 rayplace raymond.schwartz759 raymond759  
IP Logged

BarbaraD
CH.com Alumnus

Hugs to ya

Douglasville, TX
Reply #3 - Feb 6th, 2009 at 5:58am

He went back down there yesterday and they were really conerned about his eyes. Seemed it burned them also. They say it was a combination of the dye and the cepro. Gave him benadryl and zantac (thought that stuff was for the stomach, but doc said it was for alergies also ????). He was doing better. but doesn't want another CAT-scan any time soon... Smiley

Hugs BD

What don't kill ya, Makes ya stronger!

IP Logged

Pixie-elf
CH.com Hall of Famer

I've tried the rest, and
busting is the best!

Beaumont,Tx
Reply #4 - Feb 7th, 2009 at 12:07am

BarbaraD wrote on Feb 6th, 2009 at 5:58am:
He went back down there yesterday and they were really conerned about his eyes. Seemed it burned them also. They say it was a combination of the dye and the cepro. Gave him benadryl and zantac (thought that stuff was for the stomach, but doc said it was for alergies also ????). He was doing better. but doesn't want another CAT-scan any time soon... Smiley

Hugs BD

Some of the drugs in that class do double duty. Pepcid is another example. It hits H2 Receptors, I believe. It's one of the things I have to take.

Phenegran, Vistaril/Atarax, Doxepin and several others have the same benefits.

If he's not getting a lot of relief from those two, he might want to try Zyrtec. Benadryl is the first drug they use, generally. (I'm allergic to benadryl. So I had to learn the alternatives to it...)

As far as I'm concerned, cluster busting has been the best treatment I've tried. No migraines since I started it, and my hits have gotten so much better. Wanna know more?
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

It's saved my life.

IP Logged

coneclare
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #5 - Feb 8th, 2009 at 7:23pm

i've had reaction to a dye for a cat scan before. A rash right down the middle of my back. The red skin and peeling is a skin reaction to the drug. It takes a while to recover. Bnedryl was a good call.

DC

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!