Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
ergomar (Read 2465 times)
Mungk
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

ergomar
Feb 3rd, 2009 at 7:41pm

Just got a script for Ergomar Tablets.
Anything I should know about sideeffects?

IP Logged

Potter
CH.com Alumnus

Team MOOSE DROOL Stinky
Stuff on a Hook Prostaff

Blgs.Mt.
Re: ergomar
Reply #1 - Feb 3rd, 2009 at 7:45pm

Ever heard of Google?

Kinder gentler Potter

IP Logged

DennisM1045
CH.com Alumnus

One wave at a time!

Haverhill, Massachusetts, USA
Reply #2 - Feb 3rd, 2009 at 8:29pm

Ergotamine containing drugs predate Triptans.  They can be effective if difficult on the digestive tract.  Guiseppi swears by Cafergot combined with his O2.

I have no experience with this particualar drug. Like Potter said, Google will reveal most of what you want to know.  Although, posting that question here, I'm sure you are after personal experiences.

The biggest thing to remember:
Do not under any circumstances mix ergots with triptans within a 24 hour period.  It can be fatal.

-Dennis-

Where there is life, there is hope.
Where there is Oxygen, you must use proper caution.
So be safe, don't smoke while using O2. Kill the pain and not yourself.
dennism1045 dennism1045 524417261 DennisM1045 DennisM1045  
IP Logged

Guiseppi
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

San Diego to Florida 05-16-2011

SAN DIEGO, CALIFORNIA USA
Reply #3 - Feb 4th, 2009 at 12:03am

I use cafergot......an ergotamine drug...in combination with my oxygen. I'm one that oxygen works for, but CH comes back 20 minutes after I shut off the 02. Now I pop a cafergot pill, then start the 02. 02 beats it down, cafergot buys me up to 12 hours pain free time.

I tried cafergot about 25 years ago, before I had oxygen, and it was ineffective. Just took too long for my tummy to absorb it. By the time it was in my system, the CH was too firmly entrenched.

In combo with the 02, it's been great. A little hard on the tummy but nothing a tums won't quell. Hope it works as well for you.

Joe

"Somebody had to say it" is usually a piss poor excuse to be mean.

IP Logged

Ellick
CH.com Veteran

ET found here.

x1|Aylesbury|UK
Reply #4 - Feb 4th, 2009 at 6:14am

I used cafergot about 24 years ago. Wasn't diagnosed then . Had to use supositories. (so refined!).

At that time as I remember I could only use them for 7 days and then had to have a break. There was apparently a risk of restricting blood flow to my fingers and toes.

Things may well have changed since then so definitely check it out.

Aren't the side effects listed in the drug information leaflet that comes in the packaging?

I remember they worked well at that time and I still have all my fingers and toes. If only it was the same for my faculties !

Best wishes,

Ellick

ET

IP Logged

George
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

Black-Billed Magpie

Boise, Idaho USA
Reply #5 - Feb 4th, 2009 at 8:10am

Ergotamine tartrate without caffeine, apparently...

Long ago, I was prescribed caffergot, and used it alone throughout a couple of cycles as an abortive.  It never did much for me.  Perhaps it will be more effective for you.  I certainly hope so.

Best wishes,

George

"Whoever loveth me, loveth my hound."  (Thomas More, author of "Utopia", and Chancellor of England.  1477-1535)
WWW George jacox6820 7165032563  
IP Logged

Mungk
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #6 - Feb 4th, 2009 at 8:33am

Side effects are listed.

Already having dried nasal passages. (not listed)

Also really dizzy (listed)

IP Logged

Bob Johnson
CH.com Alumnus

"Only the educated are
free." -Epictetus

Kennett Square, PA (USA)
Reply #7 - Feb 4th, 2009 at 9:12am

An old, old med which is not very effective for CH. Onlyl real side effect comes from over use--flyer which came with the Rx should outline total weekly dose which is the upper limit. If it didn't come with the Rx, ask your pharmacist.
-------
The fact that a doc would Rx it raises a question about their knowledge in treating headache.

Suggest you print out this article and use to discuss options.

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

Here is a link to read and print and take to your doctor.  It describes preventive, transitional, abortive and surgical treatments for CH. Written by one of the better headache docs in the U.S.  (2002)
================
Michigan Headache & Neurological Institute for another list of treatments and other articles:

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

Bob Johnson

IP Logged

Bob P
CH.com Hall of Famer

Shut up Bob!

Clio,California
Reply #8 - Feb 4th, 2009 at 9:59am

I've used cafergot, ergomar and the inhaler at various times.

Ergomar has 2mg ergotamine, no more than 5 per week.
Cafergot has 1mg ergotamin, no more than 10 per week.

I've taken as much as 25 cafergot tabs per week.  Hands and feet get cold from lack of circulation but haven't made it to the bad side effects yet.

Ergotamin is a non-selective vaso-constrictor.  It constricts all of the blood vessels in the body.  The triptans are selctive vaso-constrictors working mainly on the cerebral blood vessels therefore a better choice for clusters.

Mrs. Barlow, I never, and I repeat never, ever pissed in your steam iron.  "SHUT UP HUB!"
IP Logged

Marc
Ex Member

Reply #9 - Feb 4th, 2009 at 3:25pm

Bob P wrote on Feb 4th, 2009 at 9:59am:
.................  The triptans are selctive vaso-constrictors working mainly on the cerebral blood vessels therefore a better choice for clusters.

But...... am I correct in believing that IF you got hit today, you would want to reach for the Cafergot?

IP Logged

Bob P
CH.com Hall of Famer

Shut up Bob!

Clio,California
Reply #10 - Feb 4th, 2009 at 5:25pm

All I have stockpiled at home is cafergot so that is what I would go for.

Got a new neuro lined up too.  Guy on California Blvd. across from the Highway Partrol.  He knew clusters.  Talked a lot about the research, OUCH, etc.  He said to call if they start up and he will see me right away (then he asked if I had any connections for good Cuban ceegars, I like this guy).

Mrs. Barlow, I never, and I repeat never, ever pissed in your steam iron.  "SHUT UP HUB!"
IP Logged

Mungk
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #11 - Feb 5th, 2009 at 10:08pm

Ergomar is working right now. PF for 2 days.
Disoriented when I wake up, And dry, sore sinus and throat, but PF.

IP Logged

Guiseppi
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

San Diego to Florida 05-16-2011

SAN DIEGO, CALIFORNIA USA
Reply #12 - Feb 5th, 2009 at 11:41pm

That's awesome news, here's hoping the good roll continues! Smiley

Joe

"Somebody had to say it" is usually a piss poor excuse to be mean.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!