Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Hot Flashes? (Read 7564 times)
Ellick
CH.com Veteran

ET found here.

x1|Aylesbury|UK
Re: Hot Flashes?
Reply #25 - Feb 4th, 2009 at 8:10am

Hi Melissa,

This is probably a question that everyone knows the answer but me.
Is there a reason why you are not using medication?

If not what about Synergie or psylocybin?

Glad my post gave you an idea. Like you I hope it works.

Defiance, hope and constant questioning; the key to unlocking the answer in the end.

Good luck for later.

Ellick

ET

IP Logged

Melissa
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

Don't give up!

Central WI, USA
Reply #26 - Feb 4th, 2009 at 8:31am

Ellick- I do have medication (i.e. Relpax, Amerge), but would rather take natural remedies as prevents and abortives.  I had very, very good luck with Kudzu my last cycle, but I screwed up this cycle by not taking it and took Taurine instead thinking it'd work as a prevent.  It does not for me.  Also, triptans tend to cause a higher attack frequency and longer cycle duration for me.

As for hallucinagenics, I have a history of clinical depression and anxiety/panic disorder and had adverse effects when I tried it last cycle also.  Therefore I chose not to try it for this one.

As for Synergie(?), I am assuming you're taking about Kilowatt3's combo?  I have considered it, but there are some factors that might collide due to vitamins/herbs I'm already taking for other conditions than CH.  

Also, I should only have 2 weeks left in this cycle, God willing!

Anyway, thank you for hoping that it works.  I do have a bit of hope that it'll help relieve me.

~mel

Diseases can be our spiritual flat tires - disruptions in our lives that seem to be disasters at the time but end by redirecting our lives in a meaningful way.  ~Bernie S. Siegel
https://www.facebook.com/mellymoo92  
IP Logged

Ellick
CH.com Veteran

ET found here.

x1|Aylesbury|UK
Reply #27 - Feb 4th, 2009 at 9:17am

Hi Mel,
I know this is off topic so I won't come back with anything else on this post.

Have you (this is for the future) heard of the research by Dr Passie in Germany with the use of bromo LSD. I understand that early results are good and should be published soon.

BTW, I am 50 days into a cycle and I haven't had a hit in two days so I am feeling I might be coming to the end of this one and I am looking forward to a few months remission. Could murder a beer (so the saying goes here).

This time round I plan to set up the prevents well before the next one is due. Like you I prefer natural traetment although what ever we take it's always a trade off of some sort. I am either going the buster route or Kilowatts formula.

Trouble with me I get desperate when I am in the peak of a cycle and try lots of things at once so I am never quite sure what fixes what. I always seem to get caught out and am running from behind. Anyway have to stay slow for a few days in case I disturb 'it' dozing.

Ellick.

ET

IP Logged

deltadarlin
CH.com Alumnus

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Downsville LA
Reply #28 - Feb 4th, 2009 at 9:27am

Mel,
If what you are having is hot flashes and night sweats, you could very well be entering perimenopause (it's not considered menopause until your cycle stops).  34 would be considered a bit young, but not impossible.  Unfortunately, since you have endo, there aren't many things that you can take (a lot of the meds both OTC and rx contain phytoestrogens, which feeds endo).

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

IP Logged

Melissa
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

Don't give up!

Central WI, USA
Reply #29 - Feb 4th, 2009 at 9:36am

Ellick- No I have not heard of Bromo LSD before.  Sounds like it is promising though and I look forward to the results!  I sooooo hear you about the desperation!  I too have that problem. Sad  I am so very glad to hear you have had 2 days PF and hope that you are definately at the END of your cycle! Smiley

Carolyn- Yes, you are correct about perimentalpause (Wink)  I have already decided I will not do any HRT myself due to preferring natural help and I am at a higher risk for breast cancer (mom died of it).  When you say there are OTC's that can't be taken due increasing estrogen, have you read anything about Vitamin E doing that also?  I have read (from my Prevention book Vitamin Cures) that Vit. E helps many women with hot flash symptoms.  That and Fenugreek.  Any thoughts?  Thanks!

Diseases can be our spiritual flat tires - disruptions in our lives that seem to be disasters at the time but end by redirecting our lives in a meaningful way.  ~Bernie S. Siegel
IP Logged

Cathi_Pierce
CH.com Alumnus

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

x0|Oregon City|USA||0|0|OR,Oregon
Reply #30 - Feb 4th, 2009 at 10:03am

Lord, Melly! Drop the kids off over here, go deal for awhile!
wishing I could step into your shoes and let you have a break!
cathi Undecided

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away.

IP Logged

Kim D
CH.com Junior

Nashville, TN
Reply #31 - Feb 7th, 2009 at 10:56am

I know I've read multiple times that Cluster Headaches are not affected by hormones, body changes, etc.

So wouldn't that contradict your "high cycle due to premenopausalness" theory?

Faith is being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see. Hebrews 11:1.
kdyer89  
IP Logged

MITYRARE
CH.com Old Timer

autocross racer

Ontario, Canada
Reply #32 - Feb 7th, 2009 at 3:26pm

Kim D wrote on Feb 7th, 2009 at 10:56am:
I know I've read multiple times that Cluster Headaches are not affected by hormones, body changes, etc.

So wouldn't that contradict your "high cycle due to premenopausalness" theory?

For some CH patients there is a direct link to hormones and some have had very effective treatment based on Hormone Replacement Therapy....I am one.

Check out the thread listed below on this forum to see study links and personal experience stories... every CH patient should be at least aware of this potential hormone link and management treatment.

New CH.com Forum › Cluster Headache Help and Support › Medications,  Treatments,  Therapies › WHY don't we pay attention to this?

Paul
« Last Edit: Feb 7th, 2009 at 3:27pm by MITYRARE »  

Paul
"car crazy"

IP Logged

monty
CH.com Hall of Famer

The Swamp, Florida
Reply #33 - Feb 7th, 2009 at 4:46pm

Perimenopause is one possibility - but consider another.  I am pretty sure that I am not in menopause or perimenopause as I am a male. Yet I get hot flashes with my cycle.  So there is some other mechanism for causing them, which can also get haywire when someone is in cycle.

Hot flashes are linked with CGRP levels, which are elevated both conditions. CGRP blockers are being researched for clusters, and have been shown to reduce hot flashes. The hypothalamus is important in regulating body temperature - might be something there that misfires and causes hot flashes independent of anything else.

Menopause or perimenopause can trigger hot flashes, and estrogen tends to block this.  But anything that lowers estrogen, or causes it to fluctuate (even when it is relatively high) might trigger CGRP.
« Last Edit: Feb 7th, 2009 at 4:51pm by monty »  

The outer boundary of what we currently believe is feasible is far short of what we actually must do.

IP Logged

Melissa
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

Don't give up!

Central WI, USA
Reply #34 - Feb 8th, 2009 at 8:22am

Now that my CH's seem to be somewhat under control (or I'm nearing the end of my cycle), the hot flashes have all but disappeared.

Monty, I am agreeing with you about the elevation in intensity and frequency of the hot flashes were due to my hypothalamus being out of whack due to being in cycle.

IP Logged

bigmenawa
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

Boaz, Alabama
Reply #35 - Mar 6th, 2009 at 11:37pm

during the beginning of  a hit, my feet and palms get really sweaty.  i feel unusually hot inside during the hit and then when it is over m skin is cold to the touch and i feel so cold all over.  my wife even commented after i got back into bed how cold my skin felt.

IP Logged

HappyElaine
CH.com Alumnus

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Flovilla,GA
Reply #36 - Mar 8th, 2009 at 12:47pm

I have been in hot flash hell the last few years! The age thing with me. When I am in cycle I do get very hot when I am having a attack. If I am at home when I get a attack, I start peeling my cloths off. I think the heat is from the pain. As far as having hot flashes when not in pain, I don't remember any.

Fear less, hope more;&&Whine less, breathe more;&&Talk less, say more;&&Hate less, love more;&&And all good things are yours.&&&&Member of ch.com and OUCH since 1999

IP Logged

Dave_C
CH.com Junior

I love Red Bull!!

x0|Huntington|USA||0|0|WV,West_Virginia
Reply #37 - Mar 8th, 2009 at 1:34pm

I have noticed during this cycle i am in now I get extremely hot. My wife says she can feel heat permeating off of me. I don't remember that ever happening in times before. But now after an attack I have to shower or at least change clothes, because they are soaked

Dave_C 1189 South Jefferson Drive David+M.+Corns David+M.+Corns  
IP Logged

Steambug
CH.com Junior

clock watching

Worcestershire, UK
Reply #38 - Mar 15th, 2009 at 5:20am

I get hot flashes during my shadows just before an attack, get really red on my left cheek but just generally feel really hot before and then just before the attack finishes I get all hot again for 5 or 10 mins!

IP Logged

Lefty
CH.com Alumnus

Reply #39 - Mar 30th, 2009 at 2:18pm

When you mean '
HOT FLASHES
' is that the same as Hot Flushes.I Definitely get very hot when I'm suffering anything from a kip 7 up. After a really bad attack i usually suffer from really heavy shadows. It's during these shadows that i get what I can only best describe as a
HOT FLASH
. It comes out of nowhere and its like a small nuclear explosion along the left side of my head. It's a really hot deep sensation that comes and goes within seconds. The funny thing is that its kind of soothing because it takes away that shitty deep shadow feeling. But every time it happens i definitely think the CH has finally  done some damage. Sad

"When money's tight and is hard to get
And your horse has also ran,
When all you have is a heap of debt
A PINT OF PLAIN IS YOUR ONLY MAN."
— Flann O'Brien

IP Logged

Melissa
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

Don't give up!

Central WI, USA
Reply #40 - Mar 30th, 2009 at 2:25pm

Hello Lefty,

When I said hot flashes, I mean where the whole body would feel hot for about 5-10 minutes and then it'd go away.  It repeats throughout the day.

IP Logged

Lefty
CH.com Alumnus

Reply #41 - Mar 30th, 2009 at 3:02pm

[size=14][/size] Hi Melissa,

I know i definitely heat up during an attack. Two weeks ago felt an attack coming on, i just had time to drop kids off at parents who live 5mins by car. Didn't have time to leave in middle of a kip 10.By the time my Da had gone to my chemist to get my imigran injection(just recently prescribed) I had to strip of bear back  as i thought i was going to catch fire. Although i believe both parents were reptiles in a previous life because their house is hotter than the Amazon rain forest.....!

"When money's tight and is hard to get
And your horse has also ran,
When all you have is a heap of debt
A PINT OF PLAIN IS YOUR ONLY MAN."
— Flann O'Brien

IP Logged

Young
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #42 - Apr 15th, 2009 at 7:06pm

Hi Melissa yes I too get hot flashes during shadows.
I am always asking others around me is it getting hot in here or is it me????? The last time I asked a co-worker and she said you always ask me that. I too am 34 and no please tell me it is related to the ch. I do not need anything else going on right now. Good Luck

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!