Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Do you still get headaches with Verapamil? (Read 2664 times)
Kim D
CH.com Junior

Nashville, TN
Do you still get headaches with Verapamil?
Jan 31st, 2009 at 7:04pm

This is my third day taking the Verapamil, and I know it can take up to two weeks to kick in, but my question is do you still get CHs even on the Verapamil? Is the pain level lower? How many do you get and how often? How many did you get and how often BEFORE you were on the Verapamil? and how long did it take for your Verapamil to kick in?

Thanks. Smiley

Faith is being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see. Hebrews 11:1.
kdyer89  
IP Logged

Guiseppi
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

San Diego to Florida 05-16-2011

SAN DIEGO, CALIFORNIA USA
Re: Do you still get headaches with Verapamil?
Reply #1 - Jan 31st, 2009 at 7:48pm

Our goals with our prevents are to reduce the number and the intensity of your attacks. Few can actually eliminate attacks all together with just the prevent. I can't speak to verapamil, other then seeing the average uptake time from what others post is 10-14 days to really kick in.

For me, on lithium, it takes 10-14 days to really become effective. At that point it blocks about 70% of my attacks. The ones that break thru are in the 6-8 range. It sucks but this is when you have to be patient and look at the long term picture. If it works as a prevent the 10-14 day will be well worth it. Hang in there.

joe

"Somebody had to say it" is usually a piss poor excuse to be mean.

IP Logged

Just Plain Carl
CH.com Old Timer

IT IS WHAT IT IS

Royal Oak, Michigan
Reply #2 - Jan 31st, 2009 at 8:27pm

Hi Kim,

Vrap didn't eliminate my hits but they were less intense.

IP Logged

miikkee
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

st thomas,ontario,canada
Reply #3 - Feb 1st, 2009 at 7:05am

hi kim

i took verapamil for 3 weeks at240mg a day it didnt help , then doctor upped dosage to 480 mg a day and headaches were gone 4 days later.

last headache was dec15 with mild shadows a couple of times since then.
I am now at 320 mg a day and still no headaches.

Hope it works for you Smiley

IP Logged

barry_sword
CH.com Alumnus

Mountain Biking Keeps
Me Sane

Bracebridge, Canada
Reply #4 - Feb 1st, 2009 at 8:37am

Hi Kim. I am taking Verapamil at 480mg daily and it is working well this cycle. It took about 10 days for mine to kick in. I still have some hits get through but nail them with the o2 and that takes care of them in minutes. The hits that get through are definitely at the lower kip scale.

My neuro had me on lower doses with my other cycles but it was just not enough for me. We are all different and do not self medicate, discuss with your doc what might be best for you.

Have you discussed o2 with your doc yet? It is my main defense to abort hits, works every time so far. Read the yellow o2 button to your left and print it off and show your doc, it works for most here.

Hope this helps you is some way and even if some hits break through your barrier, it is way better than full hits several times a day and night.

I speak for myself on this but I am in full cycle (5 months in on this one so far and I go for about one year if my history repeats itself) and I have my life back. I can go out and enjoy being with my friends again, as I have my portable "E" tank in my car at the ready if needed. Nobody see's me with the o2 and quite frankly I do not care if they did, as long as it stops the pain!!!!

I can be long winded, sorry.

Barry Smiley

QUIT SMOKING SEPT. 03 2005
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

IP Logged

kika
CH.com Veteran

I Love CH.com!

Reply #5 - Feb 1st, 2009 at 12:58pm

Just Plain Carl wrote on Jan 31st, 2009 at 8:27pm:
Hi Kim,

Vrap didn't eliminate my hits but they were less intense.  

This has been my experience as well. I still get them, but they're not QUITE as brutal. For me, the only med that completely ended a cycle was prednisone, but I am not endorsing it.

IP Logged

DennisM1045
CH.com Alumnus

One wave at a time!

Haverhill, Massachusetts, USA
Reply #6 - Feb 1st, 2009 at 2:41pm

I'm down to about one bad day a week now.  That beats 7  Cool

Most days I'm PF.  Yesterday I stopped counting.  They were only in the 5-7 range but the volume was tough to deal with.  Went through a lot of O2 and coffee.

I'm PF again today!!!

-Dennis-

Where there is life, there is hope.
Where there is Oxygen, you must use proper caution.
So be safe, don't smoke while using O2. Kill the pain and not yourself.
dennism1045 dennism1045 524417261 DennisM1045 DennisM1045  
IP Logged

NeilB
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

England
Reply #7 - Feb 1st, 2009 at 3:01pm

When my verapamil dose was last increased (I'm now on 720mg daily), I didn't have any pain at all for 3 weeks.
The shadows have returned now, but nothing like as bad as it was.

Neil

IP Logged

Jennifer
CH.com Alumnus

Supply, VA
Reply #8 - Feb 2nd, 2009 at 4:48pm

Hi Kim,   

the last time I was on verap (2 years ago?) it took about 2 weeks to get working, and then it only  lessen the intensity, didn't stop the pain and I didn't have a good abortive. 

o2   o2    o2   o2.

Did I mention o2?   Wink

WWW Jennifer Whitty Donald Yennyfur_D  
IP Logged

Fenton
CH.com Newbie

I love my family

Woodward Oklahoma
Reply #9 - Feb 3rd, 2009 at 4:57pm

YES!!!!!!!

Just enjoying life anyway!!!!!
papa_fenton@yahoo.com  
IP Logged

Batch
CH.com Alumnus

Control The Beast With
O2 & D3 You Must

Bremerton, WA
Reply #10 - Feb 3rd, 2009 at 8:31pm

If any of you ever wonder why some prevents work for a while then don't... Get some pH test strips and start checking...  You'll need to check your saliva pH 3 times a day (morning, noon, and night then take the daily average for at least a week).  My guess is you'll have a saliva pH measured at the onset of your attacks that's below your daily average pH when the beast comes a knocking more frequently or with a with a bigger knocker...

I use pH test strips from pH ION as they've got the highest resolution at 0.25.  If you find a low pH, talk to your doctor about mineral supplements containing calcium with vitamin D, magnesium, and zinc.  They act as buffers to raise arterial pH back up to normal ranges.

Take care,

V/R, Batch

You love lots of things if you live around them. But there isn't any woman and there isn't any horse, that’s as lovely as a great airplane. If it's a beautiful fighter, your heart will be ever there
pete_batcheller  
IP Logged

Ellick
CH.com Veteran

ET found here.

x1|Aylesbury|UK
Reply #11 - Feb 4th, 2009 at 6:02am

I tried magnesium , zinc and calcium some time ago without any effect.
Does it work the same as preventative treatment in that it needs to build up in the system? Perhaps take it all the time?

On the point of the thread, I take 520mg of verapamil a day, doesn't stop the hits but over time they reduce. In the past it has worked on less but I always wean off them when my cycle is over.

Ellick.

ET

IP Logged

ninja mom
CH.com Alumnus

Reply #12 - Feb 4th, 2009 at 5:14pm

Kim, while I am not a doctor, nor do I play one on TV, it can take a couple of weeks for the verap to kick in.  Many folks use a transitional medication such as a prednisone taper to allow the preventives to build up and hopefully give the patient a much needed break. 

Personally it took several dose adjustments for me-finally reached 360mg-which is low compared to some-but as high as the doc was willing to go.  As for its effectiveness:  for me, the verap prevents a headache or so a day, and the remaining three are lower levels than previously (down from a 10 to an 8).  I ran our of verap once and can say that my clusters ramped up considerably-
bear in mind I am chronic (going on 4 years now) and was episodic for 25 years-not the "norm".

Hope you find your magic bullet Kim
PFDAN
kathy

Words count, chose carefully.

IP Logged

midwestbeth
CH.com Sponsor

Edwardsville, IL
Reply #13 - Feb 4th, 2009 at 6:39pm

Verap did help me, but, due to the side effects, I had to stop taking it.

02 is my bestfriend.  Smiley

Beth

Dum vita est spes est
midwestbeth midwestbeth http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?ref=profile&id  
IP Logged

mezza
CH.com Alumnus

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

north carolina
Reply #14 - Feb 4th, 2009 at 11:23pm

Verap was my savior last cycle.   No major hits while on it,  kicked in pretty rapidly for me about 3-5 days or so ( unusually fast actually) .  When my doc first put me on Verap, he had put me an 8 day sample pack of Frova too.  Frova is a long acting triptan usually used as an abortive , but he prescribed it more as a prevent. I  Can't really use it as an abortive as it takes up to two hours to kick in- 

I ended up on 660mg of Verapamil for about 7-9 weeks or so.  Would have strong shadows at times , but they could be knocked down with coffee or a redbull.  I only occasionally had to resort to immitrex ( maybe 2-3 x) after I started .

Kelly

IP Logged

Kim D
CH.com Junior

Nashville, TN
Reply #15 - Feb 5th, 2009 at 1:14pm

I'm on day eight, currently taking 480mg a day and I'm still having the headaches pretty intensely... but before it gets to bad i use O2 or imitrex.

I'm still hoping that it kicks in soon!

Faith is being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see. Hebrews 11:1.
kdyer89  
IP Logged

mezza
CH.com Alumnus

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

north carolina
Reply #16 - Feb 6th, 2009 at 12:03am

Have you noticed any decrease in , frequency or duration since you've been on the Verap?  Were they more intense before you started the verap?

Kelly

IP Logged

Kim D
CH.com Junior

Nashville, TN
Reply #17 - Feb 6th, 2009 at 9:27am

Well, I USUALLY (w/o the verapamil) only get 1 headache a day, MAYBE 2, but not often.

So, with the verapamil I've still gotten my headache at the right time everyday, and before it gets too bad I use an abortive... but I usually wait like 5-10 minutes before using the abortive to make sure it's an actual hit because my shadows can  be pretty intense sometimes.

and with all that being said, i guess I can see a SMALL difference, if any difference.... the pain is still pretty bad. k6-k7 after about 10 minutes, and then it rises but i usually have an abortive by then.

I guess I do see a difference in my shadow pain though. Before i knew about the O2 and verap, I would have a CONSTANT shadow pain all month. With this cycle (with verap and O2 and imitrex injections) I have hours of periods that are PF. Maybe thats the Verap?

should I up my dose ?

kdyer89  
IP Logged

Ellick
CH.com Veteran

ET found here.

x1|Aylesbury|UK
Reply #18 - Feb 6th, 2009 at 10:56am

Its unlikely that they have kicked in yet. Ithink the recommendation for increasing dose is 40 mg perweek but you should check with your Dr. Also if you are up to 480 you should be having regular ECGs.

Verapamil should be a slow uptake from about 200 per day (starting) and a slow weaning off period of 40 mg per week. I have heard that this  varies according to advice but the general rule is slow uptake and slow wean.

Are you aware of the possible side effects and what signs to look for?

Ellick.

ET

IP Logged

Kim D
CH.com Junior

Nashville, TN
Reply #19 - Feb 6th, 2009 at 12:31pm

the first five days I only took 240mgs, and on day 6 he told me to start taking 480mg.

and the only side effect he said to watch out for is being light headed... i've read some other studies about the EKG's and stuff, but my doctor didn't say anything about that...

I'm planning on getting more info from my neuro Tuesday.

kdyer89  
IP Logged

DennisM1045
CH.com Alumnus

One wave at a time!

Haverhill, Massachusetts, USA
Reply #20 - Feb 6th, 2009 at 4:08pm

Just follow his advice and go up on day 6.  The only way I'd deviate from this is if you were PF.  Clearly you're not so go up on the dosage.

I'm glad to hear you are aborting the hits regularly now.  That's great news.

-Dennis-

Where there is life, there is hope.
Where there is Oxygen, you must use proper caution.
So be safe, don't smoke while using O2. Kill the pain and not yourself.
dennism1045 dennism1045 524417261 DennisM1045 DennisM1045  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!