Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Ibuprofen question (Read 1766 times)
daphne
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Ibuprofen question
Jan 31st, 2009 at 4:56pm

I am in my 60s, and have suffered with cluster heads since I was 33. The only relief was from Ibuprofen, however, my doctor has taken me off due a marker coming up against my kidney's.

I have been prescribed all the standard drugs with no effect, and am now in agony with the CHs and the only relief are ice-packs.

Are there any drugs available, similar to Ibuprofen, that will help.

Thank you,

Daphne

IP Logged

Guiseppi
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

San Diego to Florida 05-16-2011

SAN DIEGO, CALIFORNIA USA
Re: Ibuprofen question
Reply #1 - Jan 31st, 2009 at 7:50pm

I don't know of any meds in that group that have shown effectiveness against CH. Do you have oxygen yet? None of the side effects and if it works for you, amazingly fast!

Joe

"Somebody had to say it" is usually a piss poor excuse to be mean.

IP Logged

Ellick
CH.com Veteran

ET found here.

x1|Aylesbury|UK
Reply #2 - Feb 1st, 2009 at 6:15am

In general Ibruprofen doesn't work for CH. Sometimes my episodes start slowly in that I have a mid level permanent headache for a month before the CH starts, usually on a trigger (beer, nasal sprays, pseudofed).
Ibruprofen works on the pre cluster headache but has no effect whatsoever on CH.
Anti inflammatories that do are steroids, which are best taken whilst preventative meds are building up in your system.

If you are not currently taking any meds the herbal regime is reported to have a positive effect for some people.

Kudzu - 1000 mg, 2x per day (morning & night) 
Magnesium - 250 mg, 2x per day (morning & night) 
St. John's Wort - 300 mg, 2x per day (morning & night) 
Skullcap - 425 mg at bedtime 
Melatonin - 10 mg at bedtime 

Of course O2 neds to be your first port of call.

Whatever you decide check it out with your DR and on here where there is ahuge amount of knowledge and experience.

Wishing you PF.

Ellick.

ET

IP Logged

BarbaraD
CH.com Alumnus

Hugs to ya

Douglasville, TX
Reply #3 - Feb 1st, 2009 at 7:39am

O2, O2, O2!!!

I'm with the others here. Give O2 a try. At least 15 liters per minute with a NON-rebreather mask (the demand valve is better).

Occasionally I'll take three excedrin, but never tried the ibuprofen. But the O2 has worked for so many of us it's worth a shot. About a 70% success rate. Talk to your doc.

Hope you're painfree soon.

Hugs BD

What don't kill ya, Makes ya stronger!

IP Logged

barry_sword
CH.com Alumnus

Mountain Biking Keeps
Me Sane

Bracebridge, Canada
Reply #4 - Feb 1st, 2009 at 8:18am

Hi Daphene and welcome. Have you had a proper diagnoses by a doc who knows what CH's are? If so please ask to try o2. As Barbara said, it has about a 70% success rate among us, and yes me included.
I have a "M" tank at home in my bedroom with the mask attached and ready to go, and also an "E" tank (portable) I take with me and never let it out of my sight.

Also talk to your doc about a prevent. Before I was diagnosed by my neuro I was taking "8 hour time release Tylenol" and I was thinking they were working to stop my CH's. I was so wrong as the attack would hit and I would down two or three of these Tylonol's and then rock, weep and moan from anywhere from 30 mins. up to an hour or longer.

Little did I know the CH attack had run it's course and I thought it was the Tylenol that worked. I now take 480mg Verapamil daily as my prevent and it is working wonders for me during this cycle. There are lots of other prevents to try, but do discuss this with your doc and do not self medicate.

Please go to your left and click on the yellow o2 button, read it then print it off for your doc.

This forum is a wealth of knowledge and the folks here are so helpful and willing to help in a second. We are not doc's but people who share the same crippling pain so you are not alone with your pain anymore.

Again, welcome.

Barry Smiley

QUIT SMOKING SEPT. 03 2005
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

IP Logged

UnderTheRadar
CH.com Old Timer

Literally

Texas
Reply #5 - Feb 1st, 2009 at 9:35am

Hi, welcome to your new family!  I'm sorry you have to be here.  Embarrassed

A big problem with the OTC's is that if you keep taking it, you get nasty rebound headaches from it, so I'm glad that your doctor told you to stop taking ibuprofen...I've taken it by the handfuls and it didn't even touch the CH!  There's a wealth of other, more effective abortives out there- good luck to you!

-Paige

Remember- double-line the foil, shiny side out.

IP Logged

Bob Johnson
CH.com Alumnus

"Only the educated are
free." -Epictetus

Kennett Square, PA (USA)
Reply #6 - Feb 1st, 2009 at 9:47am

Suggest you print the first link and discuss options with your doc. This is current thinking on treating cluster.
========
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

Here is a link to read and print and take to your doctor.  It describes preventive, transitional, abortive and surgical treatments for CH. Written by one of the better headache docs in the U.S.  (2002)
================
Michigan Headache & Neurological Institute for another list of treatments and other articles:

Bob Johnson

IP Logged

Brew
CH.com Sponsor
CH.com Alumnus

Reply #7 - Feb 1st, 2009 at 9:49am

UnderTheRadar wrote on Feb 1st, 2009 at 9:35am:
A big problem with the OTC's is that if you keep taking it, you get nasty rebound headaches from it...

Not to mention what it'll do to your internal organs.

"I have been asked if I have changed in these past 25 years. No, I am the same. Only more so."  --Ayn Rand

IP Logged

FramCire
CH.com Alumnus

Life like a froward child
must be humored a little

Bolivar, MO USA
Reply #8 - Feb 1st, 2009 at 11:13am

Brew wrote on Feb 1st, 2009 at 9:49am:
UnderTheRadar wrote on Feb 1st, 2009 at 9:35am:
A big problem with the OTC's is that if you keep taking it, you get nasty rebound headaches from it...

Not to mention what it'll do to your internal organs.

I'll be checking wikipedia for a new definition of "organ grinder".

You've overstayed your welcome since the day we met but it doesn't seem to matter to you.  No medications are your master, nothing makes you fret, it's a helpless feeling having nothing I can do

IP Logged

NeilB
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

England
Reply #9 - Feb 1st, 2009 at 2:49pm

Hi,
I'm on 720mg daily of verapamil. This has reduced my attacks to just moderate shadows - about kip 2/3.
When I get these, I find ibuprofen and paracetamol gets rid of it within about 30mins.
However, I intend to speak to my doc this week about the long-term effects of ibuprofen, and the alternative, if any.

Neil

IP Logged

Bob P
CH.com Hall of Famer

Shut up Bob!

Clio,California
Reply #10 - Feb 2nd, 2009 at 3:03pm

Indocin is an NSAID similar to ibuprophen.  It can be tough on your stomach though.

Mrs. Barlow, I never, and I repeat never, ever pissed in your steam iron.  "SHUT UP HUB!"
IP Logged

Pixie-elf
CH.com Hall of Famer

I've tried the rest, and
busting is the best!

Beaumont,Tx
Reply #11 - Feb 4th, 2009 at 1:10am

There's someone who may be able to help you. Ungweliante.

I sent her a PM and directed her over here. I'm going to look for her thread, but she found relief with Ibuprofen first, and then with some of the COX-2 inhibitors.

I do suggest you try the oxygen, as everyone else has said. However, there's some drugs that're similar to it that can work as preventatives, too.

PFDAN
Mystina

ETA: Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
« Last Edit: Feb 4th, 2009 at 1:13am by Pixie-elf » 
Reason: To add a link. 

As far as I'm concerned, cluster busting has been the best treatment I've tried. No migraines since I started it, and my hits have gotten so much better. Wanna know more?

It's saved my life.

IP Logged

Ungweliante
CH.com Veteran

Happiness comes from personal
choice \o/

Helsinki, Finland
Reply #12 - Feb 4th, 2009 at 4:50pm

The link Mystina posted has most of the info in that thread. If you have some additional questions, please ask!

What kind of a marker was it ?

- Best regards and PFDAN,
Rosa

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!