Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Nerve Block? (Read 1480 times)
lizzzz
CH.com Newbie

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

x0|Montgomery|USA||0|0|AL,Alabama
Nerve Block?
Jan 29th, 2009 at 4:59pm

Hi Ya'll
Now they're talking about doing a nerve block. Any body tried it? My husband is going on four months. 

Thanks,
Lizzzz

IP Logged

Pixie-elf
CH.com Hall of Famer

I've tried the rest, and
busting is the best!

Beaumont,Tx
Re: Nerve Block?
Reply #1 - Jan 29th, 2009 at 8:31pm

Lots of people had.

It works for some, for others it has no effect.

It also depends on what nerve it's being done on. If it's the occipital nerve block, it will only work if you are actually having problems with the occipital nerve, according to my neuro. I hope y'all find some kind of relief soon.

As far as I'm concerned, cluster busting has been the best treatment I've tried. No migraines since I started it, and my hits have gotten so much better. Wanna know more?
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

It's saved my life.

IP Logged

on my knees
Ex Member

Reply #2 - Jan 29th, 2009 at 8:36pm

i tried it and it is expensive and i had a hit 3 hours later, so for me its a no go

IP Logged

Charlotte
CH.com Alumnus

Patterson,California
Reply #3 - Jan 29th, 2009 at 9:54pm

I had nerve blocks on both sides for occipital neuralgia and it did help for that.  It didn't help physically with the ch but it helped emotionally by not having to deal with the other headache also.

Good luck.

Charlotte

IP Logged

Skyhawk5
CH.com Alumnus

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Ypsilanti, Mi. USA
Reply #4 - Jan 30th, 2009 at 1:33am

I've had it done twice, both in Oct. 2008. 10/2 pain free 14 hours, 10/23 pain free 16 hours.

The injections are not that bad considering. I did it twice. They are given behind the ears. Some people get months and more of relief.

Good Luck, Don

Though I walk through the valley of the shadow of the Beast , I  have O2 so I fear him not.
Skyhawk5655  
IP Logged

wildhaus
CH.com Alumnus

Wildhaus|Switzerland
Reply #5 - Jan 30th, 2009 at 11:15am

I have reported extensively about the subject, you can find the info under:

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

(Cluster Headache Help and support
Medications, Treatments, Therapies
Name: Suboccipital injection.
Link to old Message Board
)

and:

(New Board, Cluster Headache Help and support
Medications, Treatments, Therapies
Name: Suboccipital injection.)

Michael

IP Logged

kiritz
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

Reply #6 - Feb 4th, 2009 at 11:03am

I am pleased to have Peter Goadsby as my Doc now.  Regarding the greater occipital nerve block, he claims that one third of CH patients have their episodes completely stopped, one third have no effect, and one third have a temporary hiatus of 2-4 weeks of attacks.  Of this latter group, once the headaches return, the duration of the episode is still reduced by the number of days/weeks the patient has been headache free.  I.e., you don't start your cluster episode from square one.  I met with him after 7 weeks of headaches.  He recommends that I wait until the beginning of the next headache period in a year or so, and then try the nerve block.  Also, if you read the article he and others published in 2006, the odds are better for CH sufferers if they experience tenderness in the scalp region above the greater occipital nerve.  I do have some of this tenderness on the top of my head where the nerve passes, so I might be a good candidate for this reason.
« Last Edit: Feb 4th, 2009 at 11:04am by kiritz »  

IP Logged

ExPat
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #7 - Feb 9th, 2009 at 9:18pm

I had an occipital nerve block about 18 months ago.

About an hour after the injections I had a big attack. I'm not saying it caused it but needless to say I have not had another. ( Nerve block that is)

When I went back for the follow up I explained what happened and the Dr from the Pain Management office politely explained there was nothing else they could do and showed me the door.

« Last Edit: Feb 10th, 2009 at 7:56am by ExPat »  

IP Logged

kiritz
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

Reply #8 - Feb 9th, 2009 at 10:56pm

One thing I have learned is that there are always things to try, things to do.  I think it's shameful that they "showed you the door."  Not a pain clinic I would want to patronize! Angry

IP Logged

jeska40272
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #9 - Mar 6th, 2009 at 11:43am

I've had the sphenopalatine ganglion blocks done with lidocaine in the past. They are very non-invasive and pain free (no needles). They worked for me; however, I was also started on verapamil and indomethacin at the same time. Now I'm pregnant and can't take the oral meds, but I'm going to start the SPG blocks again. I hope it works on its own...
good luck to your husband. I hope he gets a treatment that works for him.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!