Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
The O2 it's not just O2. Read. (Read 5537 times)
Gonzalo
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

The O2 it's not just O2. Read.
Jan 26th, 2009 at 11:24pm

Hello, I'm spanish so you will need to translate my poor english.

I will be direct. I always thinked the goal is serotonine. For me, the affair is just Mission: serotonine.. I have checked some i will enumerate, but the important is the last find: the O2 role.

1) Eat Tryptophane, with some sweet and some carbohydrates. It helps.

2) Take B-Complex+C+Magnesium. It helps more.

3) Use of ISRS (SRSI?) lights (St.Joan worths/hypericine) or Fluxetine/Prozac. It helps in a prevent way.

4) Use of Flurazepam/Dormodor to induct sleeping hours in advance to crise. It works, but life becomes complex.

I've found now that most triggers have a direct relation with the O2 level in blood (hipoxy?). Go to high mountains, fly, rain, flavours, hot, even and the most important, the sleep itself. All that carry reductions of O2 in the system, and the O2 reduction carries growth of CORTISOL, who inhibits Tryptofan to be processed to serotonine. That's why depression or stress decrease serotonine, too.

So we must try to skip cortisol, and skeep hypoxie and even more, try to do our oxygentaion better than we can. I'm episodic daily night started in last october, with methods 1/2/3/4 I arrived alive to middle november. Then, I stop all, I stand for three days of CR wake-up and then started with ANACERVIX, a mix of VINCAMINA and PIRACETAM, indicated to make better the neurnal oxygenation. From november, 28, I had only 3 crisis. 1) terrible family crack. 2) Dinner with yellow cheese, and Portugal species. 3) Exceeds after 31 dec. (alcohol, not sleep, ..).

So is the first time in my life I cut a cycle with just this VINCAMINA helped some times for a B-Complex. You can try it or another similar product, a "Ginkgo Biloba" extract. They are similar. This increases the blood O2 and his access to neuronal devices, the Cortisol do not grow, and Triptofhan can become serotonine.

No other method that help the serotonin production can be mixed with.

I hope this will be valid for you all. Good luck.

P.S. Plase note that we are working with very shorts time periods. A B-Complex take 30$5 min. to help, go away in 2 hours. A banane increases sero in a half of hour,; an hour after is over. This ANACERVIX initiates action 1 or 1+1/2 hour and it lasts for 4/5 hours. It's not a cure, and you must take anything in the aprropiate moment.

IP Logged

Guiseppi
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

San Diego to Florida 05-16-2011

SAN DIEGO, CALIFORNIA USA
Re: The O2 it's not just O2. Read.
Reply #1 - Jan 27th, 2009 at 10:02am

Hi and welcome to the board. Not one of the more technically educated on the board so certainly not qualified to comment on the chemical interactions you discuss.

I will say that since I added the B-2 and magnesium supplements to my daily diet, on and off cycle, my cycles have been much milder. If you add amagnesium supplement remember to add calcium as magnesium leeches calcium outta your system.

Glad you found us.

Joe

"Somebody had to say it" is usually a piss poor excuse to be mean.

IP Logged

Potter
CH.com Alumnus

Team MOOSE DROOL Stinky
Stuff on a Hook Prostaff

Blgs.Mt.
Reply #2 - Jan 27th, 2009 at 10:49am

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

Well gawddamn guessin I should kiss yer butt for this wonderful product. Kiss

Kinder gentler Potter

IP Logged

UnderTheRadar
CH.com Old Timer

Literally

Texas
Reply #3 - Jan 27th, 2009 at 2:28pm

Okay, could you give us a little insight into who you are?  Your medical background, qualifications, etc?  What your prescribing physician thinks of all of your theories?

Lips Sealed

Remember- double-line the foil, shiny side out.

IP Logged

Gonzalo
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

Reply #4 - Jan 27th, 2009 at 9:27pm

UnderTheRadar wrote on Jan 27th, 2009 at 2:28pm:
Okay, could you give us a little insight into who you are?  Your medical background, qualifications, etc?  What your prescribing physician thinks of all of your theories?

Lips Sealed

It's in moments like this when I would to really speak engilsh to be able to give the answer I have in mind. Netherless, I will try to make it from my simple language.

1) Thanks, you must be mistaken, I'm not looking for a job.
2) Is this your usual welcome to the first post' people?

If you want or you would know more about anything I said, why I said it, or even where I peek up the information from, or just how I felt it, just ask.

Regards.

IP Logged

UnderTheRadar
CH.com Old Timer

Literally

Texas
Reply #5 - Jan 27th, 2009 at 10:39pm

I did ask.

IP Logged

Gonzalo
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

Reply #6 - Jan 27th, 2009 at 11:03pm

UnderTheRadar wrote on Jan 27th, 2009 at 10:39pm:
I did ask.

Yes and no. You asked, yes, but 1) who I am, 2) what my qualifications are and 3) what my physician thinks about.

I am only trying to share my experience with everybody. This is for me a good concept. If you read your message, I'm sure you will realize it is not really ¿kind? ¿friendly?.

I rest at your disposal (and sure, everybody) for any other kind of questions related to the good experience I told here. If not interested, not question. That's right. Roll Eyes

IP Logged

Gonzalo
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

Reply #7 - Jan 27th, 2009 at 11:12pm

Guiseppi wrote on Jan 27th, 2009 at 10:02am:
Hi and welcome to the board. (...) I will say that since I added the B-2 and magnesium supplements to my daily diet, on and off cycle, my cycles have been much milder. If you add amagnesium supplement remember to add calcium as magnesium leeches calcium outta your system.

Glad you found us.Joe

Thanks for your welcome, Joe. Like I said, a B-complex (including not only B2 and magnesium, but B3 and B6 too), help me too in order to diminish the length and pain level of attacks. I can not take it, however, like a preventive every day 'cause 6/7 days after I start, it makes no more effect. So i take it only when pain it's arriving or yet arrived. I always carry one in my pocket. Smiley

Regards.

P.S. In other matter, I read a message taking about O2 like prevent way, when you say no knowing studies about this. I don't, too, but I read from the moderator of the french forum, Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register, Trinity, that she did it with succes during a cycle. She explains to do it every day at fixed hours and if possible, just before the estimated attack hour. Even she say the dose but I don't rememeber more. Sorry. Ciao.
« Last Edit: Jan 27th, 2009 at 11:18pm by Gonzalo »  

IP Logged

Poli
CH.com Junior

Alicante|Spain|Europe
Reply #8 - Jan 29th, 2009 at 5:31pm

Hola Gonzalo, and wellcome to the "global" forum. There is a "getting to know ya" forum where you are supossed to introduce yourself in your first post. I'm just gonna say that Gonzalo is the administrator of the spanish/latin forum, and his knowledge about CH is unquestionable for us. May be his English is not so good, but his goal is ours, find whatever that helps.
Gonzalo, don't worry about the inappropiate responses, they are just like the patient with CH of Dr. House, they still did not find cure for the other illnes.
Saludos
Softer Politer Poli

http://es-la.facebook.com/people/Poli_Cortes/14423  
IP Logged

Guiseppi
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

Reply #9 - Jan 29th, 2009 at 5:44pm

Thanks for doing the intro Poli! I think the volume of info in a first post caught several people by suprise. Sounds like he is someone to be listened to. The language barrier did make it a little tough! Wink

Joe

IP Logged

UnderTheRadar
CH.com Old Timer

Literally

Texas
Reply #10 - Jan 30th, 2009 at 12:37pm

What's innapropriate about asking for some background info when a stranger on the internet is giving me medical advice?  I like to be careful- is that a crime?

IP Logged

Gonzalo
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

Reply #11 - Jan 30th, 2009 at 7:59pm

UnderTheRadar wrote on Jan 30th, 2009 at 12:37pm:
What's innapropriate about asking for some background info when a stranger on the internet is giving me medical advice?  I like to be careful- is that a crime?

Hello. I have no problem to give it. Spanish, 48 years old, Engineer and working like C++ programmer with own enterprise so many years ago. Enough maths, chemical, physical knowing to understand some technical pubs, CH from 1995. Mi wife and nearly all friends, Medichal Doctors, my sister Pharmecutican.

Studing CH from (of course) 1995 I can read and understand (nearly  Wink ) texts, even some technical,  in Engilsh, French, Italian, Portugais and Spanish. And I've do it from 14 years. No just texts about CH, not at all; all text that contains vasodilatation, seroronine, melatonine, and such more. I've found incredible info at Psychiatrian Docs related with depression, Docs about Dawn Psyndrome, Phybormyalgia, animal migration, and so, and so more.

The personal question for my first negative answer is that I was just relating my personal experience, not giving medical advice, I never do so 'cause I'm not who to do it. Or at least this was i tried to do; if it seems otherwise, I ask everybody for excuses.

I realize I did something wrong, certainly. Not to do a minimal presentation of myself at first, and not to explain nothing. I did it so because you can see it's hard for me to explain things in english, so I'have been too short and direct. I don't intend to participate in the forum. Not because I dont wont. Sure I want. But I have no level to do it. Im sad for this. I would only, I felt the need to do it, to transmit the info of a new no-toxic way to fight against CH.

Sincerely, Gonzalo.

P.S. I've wrotten this message some times and I understand that seems a puzzle. SOorry.

IP Logged

Guiseppi
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

Reply #12 - Jan 30th, 2009 at 8:14pm

And I thank you for making the attempt!

We all try to understand Helen (Lelimey) from England even though we''re NEVER sure what she's really saying,  Grin   I'm more then willing to read any more posts you'd care to throw our way.

Smiley A warm U.S. CH welcome to you.

Joe

IP Logged

UnderTheRadar
CH.com Old Timer

Literally

Texas
Reply #13 - Jan 31st, 2009 at 1:45pm

"I felt the need to do it, to transmit the info of a new no-toxic way to fight against CH."  

Yet, in your first post, you instruct us to take a whole host of drugs- Fluxetine/Prozac, Anacervix, a mix of Vincamina and Piracetam, and my favorite- Flurazepam/Dormodor:  

"Flurazepam is a "classical" benzodiazepine, other classical benzodiazepines include; diazepam, clonazepam, oxazepam, lorazepam, nitrazepam, bromazepam and clorazepate.[2] Flurazepam generates an active metabolite with a very long elimination half life of 40-250 hours. Residual 'hangover' effects after nighttime administration of flurazepam, such as sleepiness, impaired psychomotor and cognitive functions, may persist into the next day, which may impair the ability of users to drive safely and increase risks of falls and hip fractures." (wikipedia)

How is this "non-toxic"?

"I was just relating my personal experience, not giving medical advice"

No, you flat-out TOLD us to "use this" and "take this" and "eat this".  That is most definitely in the category of "giving medical advice."

Sorry, Poli, but I do not find questioning the medical diatribes of a total stranger to be ANY EXCUSE for being told I am unkind, unfriendly, or inappropriate.   It's not about the initial post- it's about the responses to my valid questions and the runaround I got, not to mention the sarcastic tone you both take....don't pull the "poor English" card with me and then make petty little sarcastic jokes.

And if he IS a forum administrator, then he should know damn well not to just come on to a new board and start spouting medical advice and not expect a little skepticism!

Now just compare me or my friends on this board to a violent maniac on a TV show with underdeveloped testes one more time and SEE how "unfriendly" my responses get.

IP Logged

kiritz
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

Reply #14 - Feb 4th, 2009 at 9:10am

This is rapidly becoming a one-person flame war.  I don't see how Gonzalo's advice is any more medical advice than anyone else's advice about remedies they have tried and possible mechanisms why they might work.  But I have no confidence my opinion will matter.  I have found that once someone wants to be angry and critical in a forum, the feelings have a life of their own.  So this will be my only input on the issue.  Peace everyone... Smiley

IP Logged

purpleydog
CH.com Alumnus

Reply #15 - Feb 4th, 2009 at 10:58am

kiritz wrote on Feb 4th, 2009 at 9:10am:
This is rapidly becoming a one-person flame war.  I don't see how Gonzalo's advice is any more medical advice than anyone else's advice about remedies they have tried and possible mechanisms why they might work.  But I have no confidence my opinion will matter.  I have found that once someone wants to be angry and critical in a forum, the feelings have a life of their own.  So this will be my only input on the issue.  Peace everyone... Smiley

Hola Gonzalo! Thank you for sharing what works for you. And thanks for taking the time to translate for us. Welcome to the board. I hope you are able to post more, and tell us of your experiences.

UTR, I hope you don't take offense at what a fellow CH'er relates as his experience as to what works for him. I am sure he wasn't prescribing anything to anyone. Just as I'm sure you didn't mean to give out medical advice in this thread:

UnderTheRadar wrote on Jan 26th, 2009 at 4:35pm:
First, there's tons of info on clusterbusters.com if you didn't already know.  Wink

Second, are you sure you aren't currently on any meds that counterract the mushrooms?  They have a good list of known and possible counterractive medications, and you have to detox off of them before the psilocybin can take effect.  Cheesy

Also, breaking an active cycle is much harder than preventing one in the first place. Yes, you'll have to redose at least two or three times, about 5 days apart.  If you have trouble getting shrooms, you can order legal shroom growing kits, or you can try the LSA seeds which are legal to purchase.  Good luck to you!

Also, there is this:
Quote:
DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!

Let's give Gonzalo the benefit of the doubt. I'm sure he has a lot he can share with us.

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

IP Logged

ClusterChuck
CH.com Alumnus

The BEAST rises again,
and again, and again,
and .

Greenville, North Carolina
Reply #16 - Feb 4th, 2009 at 12:04pm

Gonzalo, hello!  And WELCOME!

You are doing MUCH better with your English than I do with Spanish!  If you would like, I can connect you with a very sweet lady, here on this site, that can take your Spanish explanation, and translate it into English (won't you Pep, m'luv?).

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

UnderTheRadar, would you please go here: Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register and read that, please?

I do not think you have given a person who freely admits that he has problems with English, a chance to give us his experiences.  He is no different than us telling people to use oxygen, or Red Bull, or Verapamil, or mushrooms, or whatever it is that we have found to work for us.

Just because he did not use the words or terms that YOU want him to use, or feel he should use, does not call for being nasty to him.  Maybe you did not mean it that way, but that is the way I, and from the sound of it, and HE read your remarks.

Disagree with his findings, if you wish, but please be respectful about it.  Thank you.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Again, Gonzalo, welcome aboard, and let me know if you want the email of the lady I spoke about.

I look forward to hearing more from you in the future!

Chuck
« Last Edit: Feb 4th, 2009 at 12:34pm by ClusterChuck »  

CAUTION:  Do NOT smoke when using or around oxygen.  Oxygen can permeate your clothing or bedding.  Wait, before lighting cigarette or flame.  

Keep fire extinguisher available, and charged.
ClusterChuck  
IP Logged

Mrs Deej
YaBB Administrator

My life is what I make
it, and it's beautiful!

Tornado Alley
Reply #17 - Feb 4th, 2009 at 1:25pm

ClusterChuck wrote on Feb 4th, 2009 at 12:04pm:

Just because he did not use the words or terms that YOU want him to use, or feel he should use, does not call for being nasty to him.  Maybe you did not mean it that way, but that is the way I, and from the sound of it, and HE read your remarks.

Disagree with his findings, if you wish, but please be respectful about it.  Thank you.

I will second what Chuck said here.  I think maybe a step back is in order here UTR.  We are all here for the same reasons, let's remember that.  One person's "remedy" may work for some, but not others.  

Carry on....  Smiley

"I don't know the key to success, but the key to failure is trying to please everybody" - Bill Cosby
WWW MrsDeej 1514951301  
IP Logged

Gonzalo
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

Reply #18 - Feb 4th, 2009 at 6:08pm

Hello, again

First, thanks for your welcomes. Second, I must say that, re-reading the posts, it seems I have produced a missunderstanding using the verb in the way "Eat Tryptophane" ... probably it would have been better "I've eated ..." and so on. And more, my replies have been "unfriendly". So, if UTR will accept my excuses, we can return to the CH affair ¿could you?.

So returning at work, I will share with you a fool idea I had. Since I always thinked the seasonal problem was due to a melatonine increment at cost of a serotonine decrement, and when I read this: Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register, I decided to buy and install special light bulbs that give solar light, 3200 lux of a full spectrum light, to make my body believe it is living at spring or summer, regulating the daily light hours. I'm expecting the bulbs from France, when I have experienced, I will say you more.

It's not crazy? I will live in a continous spring .. Grin . But ... if it works?  Roll Eyes

Regards. Gonzalo.

IP Logged

catlind
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

Surf's Up!

Weaverville NC
Reply #19 - Feb 4th, 2009 at 7:51pm

Welcome aboard Gonzalo.  I read your post with a great deal of interest.  As it happens, I was prescribed a very similar concoction from the doctors at the New England Center for Headache in Connecticut.  Dr. Tepper had me take magnesium, and Vitamin B  - specifically B2, B6 and B12.  He didn't want me taking a complex though, he suggested that I take each one as it's own pill and not use one that mixes the B vitamins.  

L-Tryptophan, melatonin, kudzu, caffeine and taurine are also supplements that people here have used with varying degrees of success.  

Your suggestion to the connection of seratonin is pretty sound.  The triptan class of medications works on the 5HTP1b/1d (5-hydrotryptophan) receptors in the brain by activating the seratonin pathways.  I have tried 5HTP supplements as well with some success - not sure if you can get them where you are, but I bought mine at a drugstore here called Walgreens.

There is a new neuropeptide medication being explored as well.  CGRP receptor antagonists (calcitonin gene-related peptides) are being studied by several pharmaceutical researchers for use in migraines (and by proxy that's how we CHers get most of our meds).  It appears that in most CH sufferers (some companies like Merck are looking very specifically at CH for these) our CGRP levels, activated by the trigeminal ganglia, are at significantly increased levels.  The preliminary results in the studies that have been completed look very promising for the CGRP receptor antagonists.  

The beauty of the CGRP drugs is that they are able to treat the pain without the vasoconstrictive properties that triptan medications have.  It is one more avenue that we can look to, for help relieving our suffering.   Most of the things you mentioned also affect the CGRP receptors, the same way they affect the 5HTP receptors.  

Unfortunately, it leaves a problem - they don't use the seratonin pathways for their modality, yet they are showing equal and greater effectiveness to the triptans.  Because CH gets studied as a secondary to migraines in most of the studies, it's hard to know where to look for the specific answers to what really is the trigger to the pain.

Isolating the 5HTP and CGRP receptors has been a great advance, but all they know of it in regards to CH is that it's still a symptomatic result and not causative.  Both activate the trigeminal ganglia and cause the unilateral trigeminal autonomic symptoms that the IHS lists as criteria for CH.  

Additionally, Prof. Peter Goadsby and his colleagues have about 7 studies out now, that has caused the IHS to reclassify CH as both a primary (it was previously thought of as only a primary) AND a secondary headache disorder - secondary to pituitary disorders.  According to Prof. Goadsby back in July of 08, when you are a secondary CHer, the only effective treatment is to remedy the pituitary disorder.

When you analyze all the information and data that's available, it all has solid merit and I believe should be investigated fully - since they believe the origination of CH begins in the suprachiasmatic nucleus in the hypothalamus.  The neuropeptides and amino acids that come into play, all have an effect on the hypothalamus (some more than others) and/or the pituitary gland.

I am not sure if O2 has any effects with the above receptors or not - I don't think there's been anything studied to that extent when speaking about using O2 as treatment, whether you abort, transition or prevent with it.  It will be very interesting to watch and see if there are any correlations made.  I haven't done enough research with the O2 and the neurons, neuropeptides, amino acidds and other factors to be able to even hazard a guess at it's modality of treatment.

Keep us posted about your eternal spring! Wink  The SCN in the hypothalamus governs the circadian rhythms and that is one reason they think that melatonin and other methods (like seasons) that effect the body clock and circadian rhythms seems to work.

Thank you for taking the time to share your experiences, you have some very sound reasons for your belief in the treatments that work for you.  The language barrier does seem to make things harder to interpret correctly, but I think you did a terrific job!

Cat

Disclaimer:  I am not a Doctor, researcher or scientist - all the information I posted is readily available to anyone who wishes to take the time to read the books that are available, the medical journals and abstracts, and the clinical studies (past and present) that are available - most of them on the internet for free.  I own several books on CH that I have accumulated over the years, including Dr. Kudrow's book on Cluster Headaches that is no longer in publication, and have spent many years researching the technical and medical research on the modality of treatments as well as the causative aspects of CH.

A true friend is someone who reaches for your hand and touches your heart.

If yer gonna be stupid, ya gotta be tough

Who is John Galt?
catlind catlind68 or kadiya68 660506913 kadiya68 kadiya68  
IP Logged

Peppermint
CH.com Alumnus

Work it out baby!

New York|USA
Reply #20 - Feb 4th, 2009 at 9:16pm

Hola Gonzalo.. Bienvenido/Welcome here, and thank you Poli for the intro. 
I'm glad you decided to participate here, as you see its very different from your site.   

Thank you guys for taking a step back and realizing how some things may not sound as they are meant to be interpreted.  Conveying what you mean is not always as easy as a direct translation... and it takes effort to be open.

There are considerable differences in the way 02 is perceived outside of this forum, as a therapy for 02, which I think is common knowledge about doctors..but not so much about the people who use it.  Getting that perspective is very valuable in helping pave the way to help others. 

I think you are all on the same page so far..

Pepp

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register FYI- I am NoT a clusterhead!
Love and kindness are never wasted.
IP Logged

UnderTheRadar
CH.com Old Timer

Literally

Texas
Reply #21 - Feb 4th, 2009 at 11:52pm

I just want to set the record straight here- I only got pissed off because first he was snotty about answering my genuine and honest questions concerning his theories and who he is and why we should listen to him, and then that other guy made a truly nasty comment referencing that *&@! TV show character.  THAT was why I got hot under the collar.

And when I gave advice on other threads, it was because someone ASKED for advice, and on a subject for which there IS no "official" advice out there, only anecdotal support.

I have shown a lot of support to my fellow sufferers here...yes, I'm relatively "new", but I don't think any of you could characterize me at this point as being an not a very nice person.  so to get flamed like this, by all of you, and called out like this, when I have seen other people completely THRASHED for simply using the word "cure" in a post, really brings me to tears.  This board was probably the only thing that has kept me above ground at this point.

IP Logged

catlind
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

Surf's Up!

Weaverville NC
Reply #22 - Feb 5th, 2009 at 1:00am

UnderTheRadar, (sorry I don't know any other name to call you by) no one was setting out to thrash you as a particular person to single you out.  Had anyone else said or posted the same way, it would have been handled the same way.  DJ has posted the new standard of conduct in as black and white terms as he can.  It is from that point forward, that we as moderators, and DJ as Steph as the owners of the site are going to act.  We can't change what has been done in the past, we can only set this point in time and choose to work froward from here.  

For me, I did not think I thrashed anyone;  as for what others said, I can't say I know what was in their minds when they posted, all I can say is how it looked to me.  It came across as very defensive when you first asked Gonzalo your questions.  
Quote:
Okay, could you give us a little insight into who you are?  Your medical background, qualifications, etc?  What your prescribing physician thinks of all of your theories?

Lips Sealed

There is no welcome aboard, hi, how are ya, where are you at, none of the typical things one expects when greeting a new member;  If Gonzalo did not post well, then even if you want to ask very pointed questions, one can still do so with a level of respect that can be read through a message board.  It can be very difficult to interpret a persons reactions just by their typed words.  That is why, for my own perspective, your very first thing said to him, came across as very defensive, and not at all open to him being genuine and just wanting to share his information and personal experiences with us.  So your getting hot under the collar based on his response back to you, is not what got others attention, it was the very first response you made to him.

Using the lips sealed, to show you are zipping lip, says to me, at least, that you are restraining yourself from saying anything else, and that you are not pleased with what was posted originally.  The language barrier made that post a difficult one to interpret because it was so technical.  For me I understood it completely because I know so much about the very things he was posting about. 

I believe that Gonzalo simply wants to share his own personal experiences, and his understanding of, a possibly new, way to look at, think of, and use O2 in our treatments, based on the background of the other substances.  It's a very intriguing point and will be fascinating to learn if O2 can work along those very same lines.

Cat

Who is John Galt?
IP Logged

monty
CH.com Hall of Famer

The Swamp, Florida
Reply #23 - Feb 5th, 2009 at 1:08am

catlind wrote on Feb 4th, 2009 at 7:51pm:
There is a new neuropeptide medication being explored as well.  CGRP receptor antagonists (calcitonin gene-related peptides) are being studied by several pharmaceutical researchers for use in migraines (and by proxy that's how we CHers get most of our meds).  It appears that in most CH sufferers (some companies like Merck ...

I agree that CGRP blockers hold promise, but why wait years for Merck, when you know they will charge as much as they do for their newest triptans ($50 or more a dose)?

One naturally occurring type of compound that has been shown to inhibit CGRP is the procyanidin oligomers, according to the first article. These are present in a number of whole foods, although the a person consuming a typical western diet might not consume much.  

That second one ties together CGRP and hot flashes, which might explain a few things discussed here recently.

Smoking increased calcitonin.

Traditional ethnomedicines rich in compounds that block CGRP, Bradykinin, and neurokinin.

There is also a large body of research that shows that one of the first signs of magnesium deficiency is an increase in CGRP levels; there is a separate body of research showing that clusterheads are deficient in magnesium:

This study spotted magnesium blood levels in cluster heads at 0.5 - 0.56 mmol:

Most research puts the typical levels for normal people at 0.8 to 1.0 mmol, and many researchers consider anything under 0.75 or 0.7 to be a severe deficiency:

So according to what is known, most of us may be suffering a deficiency of a simple mineral, and that deficiency can elevate CGRP.  And the answer is to wait for some company to develop a CGRP blocker???  I don't think so.

The outer boundary of what we currently believe is feasible is far short of what we actually must do.

IP Logged

catlind
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

Surf's Up!

Weaverville NC
Reply #24 - Feb 5th, 2009 at 1:28am

Monty, no I don't believe anyone should 'wait' on anyone or anything to seek relief.  I haven't yet read all the articles you posted, just wanted to point out those thoughts.

I have never been a proponent of sitting back and waiting for someone else to find the answers.  That's why I even know about any of the stuff I do.  From what I have gone through so far, and again, I haven't read all the articles yet, it explains why some people have some measure of help from the various supplements.

One study I did find interesting was the  correlation of CGRP and calcium levels;  It tied it back to the pituitary gland and hypothalamus (I am still trying to find the link again for you) and when I had my bone density scans done, I had readings of +1.8 and +1.7 when the normal is 0 to -1.7 and down from there to the numbers indicating osteoporosis and osteoarthritis.

The only thing I can say definitively about CH is that we don't know.  Until the true causative factor is found, all we are going to be doing is treating the symptoms.  Paying a hugely outrageous sum for a triptan or a CGRP med is not appealing to me.  However, adding magnesium, calcium, vitamin, amino acid or any other sort of supplement, in order to balance anything that might be off, is not likely to have an immediate effect that can be used as a reliable abortive while in the middle of a kip 8.  It is for those instances that having the option of a medication such as one that may come from the CGRP studies, is what I imply when I post about new treatment studies that are underway.  It's also because I can't use triptans because of cardiovascular issues - and CGRP (if it works, and if the trials of the meds are successful) does not have the same vasoconstrictive properties which may lead to it being a successful replacement for a triptan abortive during that kip 8.

Cat

Who is John Galt?
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!