Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Crohn's Disease and Clusters? (Read 306 times)
jmonty54
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Crohn's Disease and Clusters?
Jan 26th, 2009 at 1:12am

Hi all,

It has been awhile since I posted, and though lots have changed (finished from Graduate School!) I want to keep this post to a medical type question...

Although I was diagnosed with CH awhile back my wife and I are having some doubts.

A little history is in order.

When my life with CH first started I lost weight...50 pounds in four months! At first we thought I was having thyroid problems, which plague my family and I thought it was just my time (not joke--all of my five siblings, my father, his siblings, and his father have had to have their thyroids' removed because of Greys disease). It turned out my thyroid wasn't the problem, and we started watching my stomach.  I have had trouble with my stomach and bowels for as long as I can remember and thought that might be it. All of this went by the way side when the CH started and up until a month ago we didn't give another thought.

Anyway, about a month ago I started losing weight again (15 pounds in four weeks--during the holidays no less) and sure enough another "never-ending cycle" started. A week ago an ER doctor (yep--I had to go to the ER to try and get some relief from the devil--something I am not proud of) told me that there is a excellent possibility I have Crohn's disease.

My wife began the due diligence, and discovered that one of the Extraintestinal symptoms is Uveitis. While I don't think that anyone can mistake the pain of a CH, I am wondering if there is a connection here.

What I asking is if anyone here has Crohn's and Clusters, or am I just being nuts in thinking there is a connection here?

Thanks all--I hope the New Year is as Devil Free for All of Us.

Jmonty154

IP Logged

ANNSIE
Ex Member

Re: Crohn's Disease and Clusters?
Reply #1 - Jan 26th, 2009 at 5:16am

My late husband had Crohns disease and he was an episodic clusterhead. Apart from the fact that both conditions are related to serotonin ( Crohns to intestinal serotonin and CH to cerebral serotonin ) and that both have inflammatory features, I am not aware of any other direct or indirect link. There was a very strong family history with Crohns in his family but he was the only one with cluster headaches.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!