Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Radio Frequency Abalation? (Read 1455 times)
Pixie-elf
CH.com Hall of Famer

I've tried the rest, and
busting is the best!

Beaumont,Tx
Radio Frequency Abalation?
Jan 25th, 2009 at 3:17am

Anyone on here have any personal experience with this?

Specifically, with the occipital nerve?

I've looked at the stuff on OUCH, but just wondering if any of you have had this done?

As far as I'm concerned, cluster busting has been the best treatment I've tried. No migraines since I started it, and my hits have gotten so much better. Wanna know more?
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

It's saved my life.

IP Logged

Ray
CH.com Alumnus

Ray

Columbus, Ohio
Re: Radio Frequency Abalation?
Reply #1 - Jan 25th, 2009 at 5:54pm

I've gone as far as to talk with a neurosurgeon about this procedure.  FOR ME, it would be an option of absolute last resort.  Please think very carefully before considering this as an option.

Ray

You have my prayers and compassion-I'm right there with you.

Dum tempus habemus, operemur bonum

*While we have the time, let us do good*

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
WWW raymond.schwartz759 rayplace raymond.schwartz759 raymond759  
IP Logged

on my knees
Ex Member

Reply #2 - Jan 25th, 2009 at 6:06pm

i have only had the occipital nerve block and got a hit 3 hours later.

IP Logged

Pixie-elf
CH.com Hall of Famer

I've tried the rest, and
busting is the best!

Beaumont,Tx
Reply #3 - Jan 25th, 2009 at 10:31pm

Ray wrote on Jan 25th, 2009 at 5:54pm:
I've gone as far as to talk with a neurosurgeon about this procedure.  FOR ME, it would be an option of absolute last resort.  Please think very carefully before considering this as an option.

Ray

Yeah, I intend to think hard on it. Friday I'll be seeing pain management to discuss all of my options. They're working WITH neurology at the clinic I go to, so my neuro will be in on all of the discussion, along with my family.

But, I figured since I found no real results with searching, that I'd ask if anyone else had some experience with this procedure.

Mystina

As far as I'm concerned, cluster busting has been the best treatment I've tried. No migraines since I started it, and my hits have gotten so much better. Wanna know more?

It's saved my life.

IP Logged

monty
CH.com Hall of Famer

The Swamp, Florida
Reply #4 - Jan 26th, 2009 at 11:25am

Some centers have stopped this type of procedure for CH - not highly effective, can cause permanent side effects if too much is ablated.

The outer boundary of what we currently believe is feasible is far short of what we actually must do.

IP Logged

Katherinecm
CH.com Sponsor

Des Moines, IA, USA
Reply #5 - Jun 10th, 2009 at 5:19am

A few years ago my neuro recommended I sit back and wait for this one to improve. She seemed to think it had the best chances. If I remember correctly the study she showed me was ablation of a small portion or the lower anterior hypothalamus, published in one of the neurological journals maybe 3 years ago or so.

I think the problem with surgeries in general is that at first they seem to work--CH ends for a while, but eventually attacks return. Seems any kind of trauma activates that stop-loss mechanism in the brain that makes you only focus on the most serious trauma. Kind of like that episode of house a few years ago where he broke his finger to distract himself from his leg pain while in a bet with Cutty that he could live without Vicodin for a week. Eventually the broken finger or brain or whatever starts to heal and you get hit again. In fact you were probably getting hit the entire time, you just didn't feel the pain. The same process is probably what causes phantom hits--if the blood vessel has swollen enough to trigger autonomic reaction such as fever, flushing, horner's syndrome etc it has certainly swollen to the point of causing pain. The stop loss thing is my theory for why deep brain stimulation seemed to work for the first year or so but after that there were diminishing returns.

Ablating the portion of the hypothalamus that is having the malfunction serotonin-histamine storm seems like a much more likely scenario long-term for a "cure". How that will affect other areas of people's lives (endocrine systems and related hormones indirectly controlled by the hypothalamus), other areas affected by histamine (immune system) and serotonin (digestive system, moods) remain to be seen. Not to mention, the hypothalamus is deep within the brain, making the surgery risky.

What have you heard about this procedure?

Katy

"We are not human beings having a spiritual experience. We are spiritual beings that have a human experience."  Teilhard de Chardin
Katherinecm Katherinecm http://www.facebook.com/katym katycatcm katycatcm  
IP Logged

chrisw
CH.com Old Timer

x0|turnersville|NJ,USA
Reply #6 - Jun 11th, 2009 at 11:00pm

Mystina,
  I know that there are alot of problems for you, and you cant take alot of the medications that are helpful to others, but that sounds so scary
  I understand someone being at the end of their rope though.  Just make sure you have a great doc that you trust.  could you keep us posted as to your decision.  I have been worrying about you..

Love,
Chris Kiss

christine neville weaver  
IP Logged

Pixie-elf
CH.com Hall of Famer

I've tried the rest, and
busting is the best!

Beaumont,Tx
Reply #7 - Jun 15th, 2009 at 9:14pm

Well, at this point, it's not considered an option for me.

Due to how badly I reacted to just lidocaine being injected around the nerve  (no steroids could be used) they felt like it could possibly cause me constant pain, rather than the opposite. The nerves in the left side of my face hurt for 2 days afterwards, constantly. The clusters were godawful, and I could tell when one would hit. I was miserable.

Mind you, I don't know if the doctors are just afraid to treat me, or if this could actually be a result.

So I'm gonna just stick with my D.H.E. and 02.

It's saved my life.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!