Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Powdered Ginger and/or melatonin (Read 3310 times)
joe w.
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Powdered Ginger and/or melatonin
Jan 14th, 2009 at 4:00pm

Has anyone had experience with powdered ginger (1/2 teaspoon in water) for shadows? Under clusterbusters it is recommended under detoxing for shadows and up to kip5. I've tried it, and it seems to help most of the time. Seem to sometimes get heartburn or screwy stomach, but could be something else

How about melatonin (recommended by Dr Todd Rosen _ 9mg at bedtime). I took the 9mg a few nights ago, and headaches seemed worse that night??

thanks,

Joe W.

IP Logged

Melissa
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

Don't give up!

Central WI, USA
Re: Powdered Ginger and/or melatonin
Reply #1 - Jan 14th, 2009 at 4:07pm

I've used ginger tea for shadows in the past and it's helped.  Also, ginger is actually really good for nausea.

As for the melatonin, I cannot take it, so can't help you there!

Diseases can be our spiritual flat tires - disruptions in our lives that seem to be disasters at the time but end by redirecting our lives in a meaningful way.  ~Bernie S. Siegel
https://www.facebook.com/mellymoo92  
IP Logged

Skyhawk5
CH.com Alumnus

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Ypsilanti, Mi. USA
Reply #2 - Jan 14th, 2009 at 9:56pm

No experience with the ginger here, but the melatonin has been helpful. Sometimes I have to stop taking it because it just seems to be too much. You may have to experiment with the dose to find what works.

I saw in a past post you were looking into oxygen. Did you have any luck with that? It is my number 1 treatment for attacks and shadows. It's the safest and most successful treatment for over 70% of us and the cheapest.

Keep up the good fight, Don

Though I walk through the valley of the shadow of the Beast , I  have O2 so I fear him not.
Skyhawk5655  
IP Logged

joe w.
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #3 - Feb 19th, 2009 at 1:02pm

Yes, I have oxygen, and it has really been a huge help

thanks,

Joe W.

IP Logged

slhaas
CH.com Veteran

West Allis, WI, USA
Reply #4 - Feb 19th, 2009 at 6:47pm

People have said that Melatonin makes it worse at first before it gets better... food for thought.  I haven't tried ginger though.

500716817 slhaas99  
IP Logged

George
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

Black-Billed Magpie

Boise, Idaho USA
Reply #5 - Feb 20th, 2009 at 12:17am

Can't address the powdered ginger, but melatonin has been useful to me in the past.  I've never had the experience of it making anything worse, but it normally takes a few nights of use before I notice any positive benefit.

Best wishes,

George

"Whoever loveth me, loveth my hound."  (Thomas More, author of "Utopia", and Chancellor of England.  1477-1535)
WWW George jacox6820 7165032563  
IP Logged

wagwoman
CH.com Newbie

Only the dead have seen
the end of the war.-Plato

Emsdale, Ontario
Reply #6 - Feb 28th, 2009 at 12:37pm

Hi Joe!

I have tried melatonin in the past and I find it makes my attacks much worse.  Actually, long before I had a name for my CH, I used melatonin (at the advice of my doctor) to aid in sleep.  After a couple of weeks of melatonin and attacks, I gave it up.  I thought the melatonin was causing the attacks at first.  Yet, the attacks continued after I gave up the melatonin.

I have since tried melatonin a couple of times (now I know I have chronic CH), hoping it would help the attacks.  Each time, the attacks became worse, and more often.

Different things work for different people, I guess.

Debbie

My goal in life is to be as good a person as my dog already thinks I am.  -  Author unknown

IP Logged

joe w.
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #7 - Mar 10th, 2009 at 1:16am

thanks, Debbie - yes, I think you are so right..............different strokes for different folks

Joe W.

IP Logged

Guiseppi
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

San Diego to Florida 05-16-2011

SAN DIEGO, CALIFORNIA USA
Reply #8 - Mar 10th, 2009 at 10:57am

We talk about this a lot, how different people respond so differently to meds. Verapamil is the silver bullet for one, useless for another. Definitley one of the more frustrating aspects of the beast!

Joe

"Somebody had to say it" is usually a piss poor excuse to be mean.

IP Logged

Melissa
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

Don't give up!

Central WI, USA
Reply #9 - Mar 10th, 2009 at 11:38am

Joe w.,

Wanted to update you about the Melatonin, I ended up trying it again this past cycle and at first the hits were stronger the 1st night, but then they went down the 2nd and 3rd night.  After that, I was able to get up to 6 hour stretches of sleep.  I was taking 6mg.  Seems the smaller amount worked the best for me.  There was a stretch of about a week where I took 9mg, but it didn't seem to make much of a difference.

Take care,
mel

Diseases can be our spiritual flat tires - disruptions in our lives that seem to be disasters at the time but end by redirecting our lives in a meaningful way.  ~Bernie S. Siegel
https://www.facebook.com/mellymoo92  
IP Logged

danielpeterson
CH.com Junior

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

x0|Bozeman|USA||0|0|MT,Montana
Reply #10 - Mar 12th, 2009 at 5:12pm

I, a health food freak, tried melatonin for a while but one of the old herbologists suggested that a regular diet of melatonin was not healthy, did not allow the body to regulate itself. As you may know, in Chinese medicine there are poisonous herbs, medicinal herbs and herbs for regular use --apparently he thinks melatonin is only for select times.

That brings up ginger, rated surprisingly high as a health herb. This is the first I have heard of ginger for CH, but I did hear (on this site) of rhodiola for CH. Has anyone besides me used powdered rhodiola and gotten nonscientific positive results?

I AM TRYing, Daniel R Petersoon, soon

IP Logged

Kimmie
CH.com Veteran

OW!!

US
Reply #11 - Mar 19th, 2009 at 4:21pm

I tried melatonin this cycle. I don't know about anyone else, but I experienced major indigestion about 30-60 minutes after taking it.

Anyone experience that?

Kimmie

To accept the challenge is the destiny of leadership.
WWW kimberlydismuke  
IP Logged

washed-out
CH.com Junior

Native Engrish Speaker
:D

Poland
Reply #12 - Mar 28th, 2009 at 7:16pm

Melatonin was surprisingly helpful for me! To be honest I tried it accidentally (just asked my mother to buy me something for sleeping, without prescription). I've been taking rather small doses (1,5-7mg) but it seemed to work... Few days ago I stopped taking it (I felt sleepy during the day and had problems with waking up, even when I was sleeping for 10-12 hours) and now my CH are back Cry

IP Logged

Emjay
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

Reply #13 - Mar 29th, 2009 at 9:28pm

I checked the uses of melatonin before trying it since I have lupus and I have to avoid immune strengthening substances!  Melatonin was given the OK and I started with 10mg.  It has worked for me.  I recently increased it, though, because I took a trip to CA (I live in MA) and I was afraid of stimulating another CH flare (we just increased my Verapamil, too).  I have been PF for 3 weeks now!  However, the melatonin has helped and I plan on staying on it until June and then tapering down to 5mg because that is when my cycles usually end...

I haven't tried ginger although I have used ginger for stomach issues!

IP Logged

scottb
CH.com Newbie

los angeles, ca
Reply #14 - Apr 28th, 2009 at 11:46pm

I have been using melatonin @ 9mg a night for the last 4 years during my cycle.  The shadows are around.. but seems to reduce the full blown attacks.  With that said.. I think my attacks are more mild than most.  If I drink alcohol... all bets are off... it's on.  I have to abstain completely for the 6 weeks...

IP Logged

deltadarlin
CH.com Alumnus

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Downsville LA
Reply #15 - Apr 29th, 2009 at 8:36am

Just a quick warning about ginger.  It acts as a blood thinner, so if you're going to have surgery, you need to be off it for at least a week.

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!