Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Altitude as a trigger? (Read 3170 times)
alisonjmorrow
CH.com Newbie

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

The Woodlands, TX
Altitude as a trigger?
Jan 13th, 2009 at 12:35am

We're on vacation in Colorado. We got here on Tuesday, and on Thursday night my husband had his first headache in over a year. He's had one every night since then, and then another this afternoon while napping, which turned out to be one of the worst he's ever had. We're trying to figure out what the trigger might have been, and are wondering if maybe it's the altitude. It seems to me that, if O2 can abort a CH, then being in an environment where the air is thinner and your brain is deprived of the O2 level it's used to, then that might trigger it. Has anyone else found this to be the case?

IP Logged

UnderTheRadar
CH.com Old Timer

Literally

Texas
Re: Altitude as a trigger?
Reply #1 - Jan 13th, 2009 at 12:38am

I can get attacks just from changing altitude by a few hundred feet, so yeah, I'd imagine going to CO could really do a number on ya.  Tongue

Remember- double-line the foil, shiny side out.

IP Logged

DennisM1045
CH.com Alumnus

One wave at a time!

Haverhill, Massachusetts, USA
Reply #2 - Jan 13th, 2009 at 5:24am

Hi Alison,

Flying is a trigger for me.  I know within a half hour of landing I'm gonna get slammed.  Usually that's a one time hit though.  Never had it kick off a cycle.

Have you guys ever been to CO before?

-Dennis-

Where there is life, there is hope.
Where there is Oxygen, you must use proper caution.
So be safe, don't smoke while using O2. Kill the pain and not yourself.
dennism1045 dennism1045 524417261 DennisM1045 DennisM1045  
IP Logged

seasonalboomer
CH.com Hall of Famer

CH messes with my isness

Charlotte, NC
Reply #3 - Jan 13th, 2009 at 7:16am

I think there is some validity to your theory Allison. I run a race every July in the Boone, NC which goes up Grandfather Mountain. This is only a change of a couple thousand feet. The last two years I have been hit following the race and never fully finish the hit till I get back down the mountain. Two years ago it even withstood an Imitrex injection (which are like silver bullets for my beast).

Scott

Scott

IP Logged

Chris Morrow
CH.com Veteran

Messin' with Sasquatch

Asheville, NC
Reply #4 - Jan 13th, 2009 at 8:56am

I live in Asheville,NC, and have been driving different routes for work recently. When I drive down the mountain (about 2000 feet), I  begin feeling strong shadows, but when I drive back up to Asheville's elevation, they hit me hard....really hard. After the third time of going through that, I won't drive those routes any more, and I don't get an option to stop.....You don't get that option when you are driving critical medical specimens.

IP Logged

atagj
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #5 - Jan 13th, 2009 at 9:47am

I live in Cleveland and take a trip to Colorado every winter. It triggers a cycle for me as well. I've noticed that it can be a combination of altitude sickness and CH's. Does he have dizziness or fatigue as well? I would suggest drinking a ton of water to help both, that helps me when I am out there. Good Luck and hope you can enjoy the vacation!

IP Logged

Guiseppi
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

San Diego to Florida 05-16-2011

SAN DIEGO, CALIFORNIA USA
Reply #6 - Jan 13th, 2009 at 10:20am

I live at seal level, in San Diego. Daughter just finished school in Denver so I was doing 2-4 trips a year to the mile high. Never triggered an attack or a cycle. Although I was never "in cycle" on any of the trips.

Joe

"Somebody had to say it" is usually a piss poor excuse to be mean.

IP Logged

alisonjmorrow
CH.com Newbie

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

The Woodlands, TX
Reply #7 - Jan 13th, 2009 at 10:22am

No Dennis, Dan's never been here before. He has been to higher elevations before, but not this high, I don't think. We thought it was weird that he didn't get one right away if the O2 level was indeed the issue, and we were hoping that maybe the episode would end once his body had acclimated to the altitude. But we've been here a week and I think we should be acclimated by now. Sad He's still sleeping, so I don't know if he had another one last night. Hope not. I second the water-drinking; I'm sure he's not drinking enough for this environment in the first place, and certainly not enough to help with the headaches. I'll encourage him to drink more, and maybe that will at least lessen the intensity...

IP Logged

Bob P
CH.com Hall of Famer

Shut up Bob!

Clio,California
Reply #8 - Jan 13th, 2009 at 10:24am

I'm with Joe.  Live at sea level and go fishing in the Eastern Sierra each spring (8000').  Never triggers an attack.  I did go up there one summer while in cycle and was miserable.

Mrs. Barlow, I never, and I repeat never, ever pissed in your steam iron.  "SHUT UP HUB!"
IP Logged

Balanchine
CH.com Alumnus

x0|Los Angeles|USA||0|0|CA,Cal
Reply #9 - Jan 13th, 2009 at 11:38am

From what I'm reading altitude variation does seem to be a common trigger among some of us. I noticed it the first time this past summer coming down from 10,000 + feet to near sea level where I live. The quicker the descent, the more heinous the hit. These were only day trips to climb some of our local peaks so I have no idea what might happen if I were to stay up there awhile. Hope your husband gets some relief soon.

David

IP Logged

Marc
Ex Member

Reply #10 - Jan 13th, 2009 at 1:07pm

I used to travel very heavily for a living - flew over 100 times per year. For awhile I thought that it was a trigger, but after really looking at it - nope.

Just like everything else I thought was a trigger, I realized that it wasn't.

Marc

IP Logged

Batch
CH.com Alumnus

Control The Beast With
O2 & D3 You Must

Bremerton, WA
Reply #11 - Jan 13th, 2009 at 2:26pm

Alison,

Although there have only been a few studies specifically focused on the effects of oxygen desaturation due to altitude on cluster headaches, there have been a number of studies on the effects of reduced partial pressure of oxygen on cluster headaches, so it appears fairly clear, a relationship exists.  

Many of us get hit shortly after leveling off at altitude on commercial aircraft flights, just as many of us also suffer from an increased incidence of cluster headache attacks while sleeping.  There have been a number of studies done in this area where oxygen desaturation and elevated CO2 levels in exhaled breath during reduced respiration rates while sleeping were found to be the probable source of provocation resulting in an increase in the incidence of cluster headache attacks.

As a retired Navy pilot, I'm very familiar with aviation physiology and aircraft pressurization systems.  Pilots flying tactical military jets are required to breathe 100% oxygen at all times as our cabin altitude is frequently above 10,000 feet where supplemental oxygen is required to prevent passing out from hypoxia (lack of oxygen).  At cruising altitudes between 30,000 ft and 40,000 ft it was common to see a cabin altitude pressure of 15,000 ft to 17,000 ft.

The cabins of commercial airliners are pressurized to maintain a cabin pressure equal to an altitude of less than 10,000 ft. at all times.  At normal cruising altitudes the cabin altitude in these aircraft is approximately 7,500 ft.  The reduction in the partial pressure of oxygen at this altitude is 23%.  The Naval Flight Surgeon's Manual has a table that indicates the reduction in the partial pressure of oxygen within the lung's alveoli is 32% at an altitude of 7,500 ft.  This same table states there is only a 7% reduction in the partial pressure of CO2. This results in a major change in the ratio of oxygen to CO2 at altitude.  

Given Denver is the mile high city, you and your husband are being exposed to the same reduction in the partial pressure of oxygen as well as the change in the ratio of oxygen to CO2. While the change in altitude is likely to have only a minor effect on you, as a cluster headache sufferer, the elevation in altitude can have a major effect on your husband's cluster headache patterns.

Michael Berger and I have been researching the physiological effects of oxygen therapy as a cluster headache abortive over the last three years.  Soon after starting this research, we became aware of studies that indicated carbon dioxide (CO2) appears to play a major role in the cluster headache triggering and abort mechanisms as well as oxygen.  We knew that when the oxygen concentration in the lungs and arterial bloodstream is higher than normal, the condition is called hyperoxia.  It’s well known in medicine that hyperoxia is a vasoconstrictor and there are several studies that clearly indicate it acts as an abortive for our cluster headache attacks.  Our research also revealed CO2 plays an even greater role in cluster headache attacks as does the shift in arterial pH above or below the normal range of 7.35 to 7.45.

When lung and arterial CO2 levels are above normal, the condition is called hypercapnia.  There's a large body of medical information that clearly indicates hypercapnia acts as a vasodilator.  As a vasodilator, hypercapnia tends to favor the cluster headache triggering mechanism.  This condition tends to make abortive therapies less effective and our attacks more frequent.  Hypercapnia also tends to make our attacks last longer and become more intense.  

CO2 also dissolves in blood plasma the same way it does in carbonated beverages although not as much at normal atmospheric levels.  When this happens, CO2 disassociates into carbonic acid.  When more CO2 is dissolved in the blood plasma than normal, the acid content of the arterial blood rises and the pH drops below normal.

When lung and arterial CO2 levels are below normal, the condition is called hypocapnia.  There are also a significant number of studies indicating hypocapnia acts as a vasoconstrictor.  As a vasoconstrictor, hypocapnia tends to make abortive medications and oxygen therapy more effective as well as reduce the frequency, duration, and intensity of our attacks.  As hypocapnia means less CO2 is dissolved in the blood plasma than normal, the acid content of the arterial blood drops, and the pH rises above normal to an alkaline condition.  If this shift in pH is due to increased lung ventilation or hyperventilation, this condition is called respiratory alkalosis.

Now, when you add the fact that it isn't the lack of oxygen that makes us breathe faster and regulates our respiration rate, but rather the level of CO2 in the arterial bloodstream, you can see that physical activity can act as a double edged sword with respect to our cluster headache attacks.  When arterial CO2 levels are above normal, we start breathing like a big dog to reduce CO2 levels back to normal.  When CO2 levels are below normal, we breathe more slowly.

With this in mind, it's easy to see where claims that physical exercise can shorten the duration of cluster headache attacks for some, while it may make attacks worse for others.  The greater the physical activity, the more CO2 our bodies produce and the faster we breathe to bring the excess CO2 levels back to normal.  If we're breathing fast enough to keep CO2 levels in the normal range or slightly below, there's a good chance that physical activity will reduce the duration and intensity of our cluster headache attacks.  If we're not ventilating our lungs fast enough to remove excess CO2, the physical activity will tend to make our cluster headache attacks more painful and last longer.

This same physiological relationship between the exchange of oxygen and carbon dioxide in the lungs during respiration is also one of the important reasons many have difficulty when trying oxygen therapy to abort their cluster headache attacks.  In most cases where oxygen therapy fails to work effectively as an abortive, the oxygen flow rate is too low.  When a low oxygen flow rate is combined with the use of a non-rebreather mask that prevents room air from entering the lungs, the total flow rate per minute coming from the oxygen regulator equals the total lung ventilation in one minute.  

Even though an oxygen flow rate of 7 to 9 liters/minute may be sufficient to oxygenate blood hemoglobin to 100%, if the lung ventilation is not sufficient to reduce CO2 levels back to or below normal, an abort may not be possible.

The heart plays an important role in this process as well and it tends to beat faster when arterial CO2 levels are high than it does when arterial CO2 levels are in the normal range.  When the heart beats faster, a greater volume of blood passes through the lungs allowing a greater exchange of oxygen and CO2.

Michael and I developed the following graphic to illustrate the relative vasoactive effects of O2, pH, and CO2 as they relate to cluster headaches.

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

As you can see, hyperoxia, an elevated pH, and hypocapnia all result in vasoconstriction just as hypoxia, a depressed pH, and hypercapnia result in vasodilation.  

This graphic also illustrates the benefit of using oxygen therapy at flow rates that support hyperventilation as a cluster headache abortive. As you can see, this method of oxygen therapy pushes all three of the vasoactive effects high into the green shaded areas that favor increased vasoconstriction.

I realize this is a long-winded response to your questions, but it should help explain some of the physiology behind an increase in cluster headache attacks at increased altitudes and while sleeping, as well as the use of oxygen therapy at sufficient flow rates to support hyperventilation in order to abort them.

Take care,

V/R, Batch
« Last Edit: Jan 16th, 2009 at 4:17am by Batch »  

You love lots of things if you live around them. But there isn't any woman and there isn't any horse, that’s as lovely as a great airplane. If it's a beautiful fighter, your heart will be ever there
pete_batcheller  
IP Logged

Balanchine
CH.com Alumnus

x0|Los Angeles|USA||0|0|CA,Cal
Reply #12 - Jan 16th, 2009 at 12:35am

Batch: thanks for that. Very interesting indeed! I don't do enough air travel these days to test myself, my experiences were in coming down from mountains fairly quickly. But this is good stuff and I really appreciate your taking the time to think it through, research it and write it up so clearly.

David

IP Logged

Wartooth
CH.com Newbie

Don't tell me its just
a headache...

x0|Homewood|||||
Reply #13 - Jan 16th, 2009 at 3:39pm

It is amazing that this topic is brought up (I have been on the boards here reading for years, but rarely converse)  I have not flown in a few years, but recently flew to Florida for a little RnR.  I started to get my first realization that I was getting that same old feeling again only a day after landing and sure enough they started up again after nearly 15 months in remission.  I also remember a time when they had ended and a week later I had flown to Vegas, where they started up again.  It makes me wonder if flying was is trigger...

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!