Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
An Unwelcome Visitor (Read 1088 times)
Nyteguardyan
CH.com Junior

Someone pluck out my right
eye please.

Port Republic, Maryland
An Unwelcome Visitor
Jan 12th, 2009 at 8:11pm

So I was awakened by our common friend today. It was my first attack in almost 2 weeks. Well...actually, now that I think about it, a week.

I have a very unusual sleep schedule, I usually get up between noon and 1400. My CH's start anywhere between 1430 and 1700. At 1430 today, my wife who also has a weird sleep schedule (we both work/worked nights for years), woke up with me writhing in the bed, curled up like a ball with my hand jammed against my RIGHT eye. We were both unarmed, no imitrex or O's. On a pain scale of 0-10, my attack was ranking about a 9. My wife is my angel, she started to rub my neck and the back of my head near my neck. When she was massaging the LEFT side of my neck and head the pain would ease up some, bringing it to 5 on the 10 scale. When she massaged the RIGHT side of my neck and head, it didn't ease the pain at all.

The attack lasted about 45minutes without aborts. I took 2 excedrin, 2 Ultracet, and a flexeril and chased it with an energy drink. I have a bad back from many years of being in the back of an ambulance so the muscle relaxer was for my back which was tense for the entire time I was curled up in a ball.

As usual, I feel like shit afterwards. It drains the energy right out of me. I didn't have any imitrex, so I didn't have any of the horrible side effects of taking it. BUT, I've noticed that what I thought was side effect of imitrex is really residual yuckiness from the CH attack. I've described my side effects of imitrex as: my hair folicles feel like they are on fire, my left arm gets heavy and weak (both arms when taking the generic equiv.), dysphagia (difficulty swallowing), and a general hang over type feeling for the rest of the day. Today, both of my arms feel weak and the fuzzy 'not quite all there' hang over feeling are present. They just aren't as extreme as when I take imitrex. This feeling has me a bit concerned.

Need to schedule another appointment. Unfortunately, I had to cancel my last appointment. My wife has Lupus and has had a bad few days and one them was on the day of my appointment. Imitrex was refilled today, so I'm ready for battle.

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
WWW ffemtp22560  
IP Logged

MkeithD

That which does not kill
us.....makes us stranger.

Philadelphia, PA.
Re: An Unwelcome Visitor
Reply #1 - Feb 11th, 2009 at 9:45pm

hey Nyet. Imitrex is nasty shit. it does nothing to relieve the pain of an attack for me. it merely knocks my ass out cold so i can sleep for a few hours. i wake up feeling terrible all the side FX you described.
thankfully i no longer need it tho i still carry it around out of habit. got rid of the O2 tank a month ago as well.

are you on any kind of preventitives at all? I suffer all sorts of interesting side FX from my cocktail but am pain free for the most part.
Verapamil @480mg. Lithium @600mg. Topamax @100mg

Best of luck- KILL THE BEAST   MKD >.<

IP Logged

Kim D
CH.com Junior

Nashville, TN
Reply #2 - Feb 11th, 2009 at 10:29pm

I don't really get any side effects from imitrex (injections & pills.)

of course, if I use a pill it takes longer so I have to go through the pain longer, therefore I am more tired but I don't believe it's because of the Imitrex, but only because I just felt like I was dying for the past 20-40 minutes.

My suggestion is that if all you have is imitrex, try to get O2. It aborts my attacks and shadows pretty quickly... and really has no side effects or long term effects.

Faith is being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see. Hebrews 11:1.
kdyer89  
IP Logged

BlueMeanie
Ex Member

Reply #3 - Feb 11th, 2009 at 10:34pm

MkeithD wrote on Feb 11th, 2009 at 9:45pm:
Imitrex is nasty shit. it does nothing to elieve the pain of an attack for me. it merely knocks my ass out cold.

MKD, everyone is different but I've never heard ppl say what you have about Trex. Knocks you out ? Nasty Shit ? Does nothing to relieve your pain ? WOW.

Do you or have you ever tried the Imitrex tip ? Instructions are on the left of this page. Doing a 1/2 shot isn't as bad and still relieves the CH the same. The CH may come back a little sooner than if you do a whole shot but less wierdness feeling and 1/2 the cost.

Never heard of anyone getting knocked out from Trex. Hmmm

IP Logged

MkeithD

That which does not kill

Philadelphia, PA.
Reply #4 - Feb 11th, 2009 at 10:44pm

hey blue...
i have only had to use it a handful of times thankfully. 4mg injections. when away from O2. now tho, like i said i'm ina good place and don't need to use it. i'm finding out from the whole CH experience (started last april diagnosed last june) that im a bit sensitive to meds. and thanks yes early on i saw the trick for using a half dose, but use it so infrequently (still on original batch of samples) that i never tried it.

Thx again!!  Kill the Beast!!! MKD

IP Logged

BlueMeanie
Ex Member

Reply #5 - Feb 11th, 2009 at 10:46pm

Hey, as long as you have a handle on the situation that's all that matters. For me imitrex is my savior. LOL

PFDAN,
Bob

IP Logged

MkeithD

That which does not kill

Philadelphia, PA.
Reply #6 - Feb 12th, 2009 at 11:46am

ditto. if it works 4 u.....awsome. i keep it as last resort. we all know anything..ANYTHING is better then a fricking CH attack!

MKD >.<

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!