Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Generic Sumatriptan (Read 3134 times)
DeStijl
CH.com Veteran

Lubbock, TX
Generic Sumatriptan
Jan 12th, 2009 at 4:20pm

My local CVS just started carrying the generic injectors. 2 6mg shots and the injector kit for $10. That is badass. No more $60 aborts. Of course that is AFTER O2 has failed twice, which has yet to happen.

Very kewl!

https://www.facebook.com/eric.mcgaha  
IP Logged

Guiseppi
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

San Diego to Florida 05-16-2011

SAN DIEGO, CALIFORNIA USA
Re: Generic Sumatriptan
Reply #1 - Jan 12th, 2009 at 5:56pm

WOW!!!!!!!!! That opens up doors to a whole lotta people who are un or under insured. Great news!! Smiley

Joe

"Somebody had to say it" is usually a piss poor excuse to be mean.

IP Logged

purpleydog
CH.com Alumnus

Reply #2 - Jan 12th, 2009 at 8:39pm

Is the $10.00 a co-pay?

I just asked my pharmacist about what was available (all forms, pills, NS, auto-injects and vials), but she told me on the stat-dose cartridges, the price was only $25.00 less than the price of brand name imitrex. She also said the longer it is out, the lower the price will become.

Has anyone else bought any generic yet?

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

IP Logged

mezza
CH.com Alumnus

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

north carolina
Reply #3 - Jan 12th, 2009 at 9:14pm

I bought it-  I am stockpiling  Smiley   My copay was 20

IP Logged

cristeenam
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

las vegas, nevada
Reply #4 - Jan 13th, 2009 at 4:29am

i live in las vegas and i paid $178 for the generic (imitrex goes for $225), 2 6mg shots, does anyone know if its less in other parts of the country, or any reputible web sites i can order from at a better price? i don't have insurance, but i need the imitrex...

IP Logged

DeStijl
CH.com Veteran

Lubbock, TX
Reply #5 - Jan 13th, 2009 at 1:11pm

Yes the $10 was a co-pay. I should have mentioned that, sorry. Here in west Texas the Imitrex name brand with insurance, the co-pay was $60. CVS is the pharmacy I use. Don't know if that makes a difference. I use Blue Cross Blue Shield of Texas for insurance.

https://www.facebook.com/eric.mcgaha  
IP Logged

Ray
CH.com Alumnus

Ray

Columbus, Ohio
Reply #6 - Jan 14th, 2009 at 6:18pm

Dear Clusterville:

I am the proud owner of a box of:

Sumatriptan Succinate Injection
6 mg sumatriptan/0.5 mL
For subcutaneous injection only.

Single-dose vial. Discard unused portion.

5 Single-Dose Vials  Rx only
SANDOZ

NDC 0781-3174-14

The size and packaging is nearly identical to Imitrex, only made by Sandoz and only labeled with the generic name.  Instead of $300 or so for the name brand, this is about half the price.  Check it out at your local chain, mine is CVS and they could order it in.

Wooo Hooo!

Ray

You have my prayers and compassion-I'm right there with you.

Dum tempus habemus, operemur bonum

*While we have the time, let us do good*

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
WWW raymond.schwartz759 rayplace raymond.schwartz759 raymond759  
IP Logged

Ray
CH.com Alumnus

Ray

Columbus, Ohio
Reply #7 - Jan 15th, 2009 at 1:21pm

Shameless Bump

You have my prayers and compassion-I'm right there with you.

Dum tempus habemus, operemur bonum

*While we have the time, let us do good*

WWW raymond.schwartz759 rayplace raymond.schwartz759 raymond759  
IP Logged

webgopher
CH.com Junior

I may get older, but I
refuse to grow up.

x0|Lafayette|USA||0|0|IN,Indiana
Reply #8 - Jan 17th, 2009 at 11:01am

The generic (for either the 4 ml or 6 ml) runs $10 for the co-pay; the name-brand is $20 for the co-pay through my insurance.Right now they will only cover 2 boxes per month, but the docs office is hopefully getting them to up the amount.

IP Logged

TraceyJ28
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Upstate New York
Reply #9 - Jan 26th, 2009 at 8:51am

Hi! Being recently diagnosed with CH my neurologist gave me a script for the injections when I filled them at Rite-aid they gave me the generic brand. It looks exactly like the Imitrex one the doctor gave me. I actually got 3 kits (6 doses) on January 1st. I'm picking up a refill today. Does the pharmacy limit how many you can fill? Does it go per month?
Rite-aid also lists the actual price  ($556) and what I pay ($5 copay).

traceyjackson  
IP Logged

TraceyJ28
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Upstate New York
Reply #10 - Jan 26th, 2009 at 8:52am

Hi! Being recently diagnosed with CH my neurologist gave me a script for the injections when I filled them at Rite-aid they gave me the generic brand. It looks exactly like the Imitrex one the doctor gave me. I actually got 3 kits (6 doses) on January 1st. I'm picking up a refill today. Does the pharmacy limit how many you can fill? Does it go per month?
Rite-aid also lists the actual price  ($556) and what I pay ($5 copay).

traceyjackson  
IP Logged

aj
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

Portland Oregon
Reply #11 - Jan 26th, 2009 at 10:33pm

I was just on with my pharmacy, and it seems it goes by what they find the Rx should last you.  For mine, I can't refill it (four shots worth) for a month.  I'm not too clear if that's due to how the script was written, their rules and regulations, or my insurance.  The six nasal sprays, I have to wait six days for that to be refillable.  <shrug>  Still trying to understand it.

One question: does the generic refill (the filled syringe thing) fit the brand-name Imitrex statdose kit, or do you need to ensure you have the generic brand's kit for the generic brand's injection refills?

IP Logged

TraceyJ28
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Upstate New York
Reply #12 - Jan 28th, 2009 at 9:44am

Here's another bonus! The generic imitrex refills work with the name brand kits. The pharmacy was out so I called the neurologist and he gave me a refill to get me through, and I had a generic pen and used it with the imitrex refill. When I refill my script they give me 3 new kits (6 doses) not just the refills.

Maybe it is how the doctor writes out the script because I don't have any restrictions per month or whatever. He also mentioned when he wrote it that I may not be able to get 6 doses that it is usually restricted to 4 doses. I guess I got lucky with my insurance?

traceyjackson  
IP Logged

aj
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

Portland Oregon
Reply #13 - Jan 28th, 2009 at 5:41pm

Tracey, you should thank your stars for having such an awesome insurance company!  I was on the phone with mine yesterday - the story is they'll only cover me for four shots (two boxes) per month, unless my doctor calls them and pleads my case, they may give me more.  Such a mess!  

But it is good to know the generic refills fit the name-brand pen-injector!

Edited to add: after my doctor talked to my insurance company, they approved me for up to five boxes (10 doses) per month for the next three months.  They (i.e., the insurance company) said that as I was diagnosed with cluster headaches, I could get approved for as many as 15 boxes (30 doses) per month if need be!  It pays to have your doctor plead your case!
« Last Edit: Jan 28th, 2009 at 8:37pm by aj »  

IP Logged

Thrashin
CH.com Newbie

|brooklyn|USA|NYC
Reply #14 - Feb 12th, 2009 at 8:23pm

Generic nasal sprays works for me and saves me 15 bux.
As for refills.
Here's what i had to do.
I just called my insurance company, they faxed my Doc the appropriate forms. Had my doc then send over the info to them to get a "Prior authorisation" for Imatrex (needed for more than once a month refill). They Ok'd me to have as many refills i need for a year.
Then I had to have my Neuro call the Pharmacist and explain why to fill as many as I need.
The Pharmacist was an ass but now he's fine with it. Took about a week but now I can refill my Rx when I need to.
I guess it boils down to having doc's fight for you.

IP Logged

slhaas
CH.com Veteran

West Allis, WI, USA
Reply #15 - Feb 13th, 2009 at 2:47pm

DeStijl wrote on Jan 12th, 2009 at 4:20pm:
My local CVS just started carrying the generic injectors. 2 6mg shots and the injector kit for $10. That is badass. No more $60 aborts. Of course that is AFTER O2 has failed twice, which has yet to happen.

Very kewl!

I have a HRA for insurance so the actual cost gets deducted not a copay... I wonder what that total cost is.

500716817 slhaas99  
IP Logged

MartyB
CH.com Newbie

CH.com is the best!

Bensalem, PA
Reply #16 - Feb 13th, 2009 at 2:48pm

I just entered into new CH episodes on Jan 26th after 4-1/3 years in remission.  What a PITA since I thought I was done with them and I always got it every 1 to 1-1/2 years apart.

My Dr prescibed Suma 100 tabs and the 6mg injectibles, but only 2 of them (4 shots) for a 30 day pepriod.  I went through them fast and the ins co said that's all I could get.

So, my Dr (and I) both called the ins co and pleaded. I was able to get 3 refills (6 shots) with a 6 day supply stated and 1 refill of the prescription.

Well, it's 7 days later and I just tried to refill since I'm going out of the country next week, and can't see going without them.  The ins co rejected the refill!!!!  What idiots!

I'm now waiting for CVS to call me back since they're calling the ins co to try to help me get them under ins.  If not, I will definitelly have to get them anyway which will set me back about $500 for the refill, or only $10 if it's covered by ins.

IP Logged

MartyB
CH.com Newbie

CH.com is the best!

Bensalem, PA
Reply #17 - Feb 14th, 2009 at 2:28pm

Well, very good news!

My CVS pharmacist went to bat for me and called the ins co.   She got the refill approved under the ins!

I just picked up 3 refills (6 shots) for $10 co-pay.  The ins co paid $429.12!

Now I can go out of the country next week in peace.  I have 9 shots left, and about 50 Suma 100mg tabs.  Since I'm away for 17 days, I still hope that's enough since my hits are multiple times a day now, and especially at night.

Of course, I still need to make it through Thurday when I depart  Undecided

IP Logged

slhaas
CH.com Veteran

West Allis, WI, USA
Reply #18 - Feb 18th, 2009 at 6:26pm

I just had some refills and the generic pill, injectable and nasal spray are now open to me.  The only problem is that my HRA is billed MORE for the generic at a local pharmacy (Walgreens).  However if I set-up a mail order service for these prescriptions it will save me over $100 each compared to the Imitrex.

500716817 slhaas99  
IP Logged

TarHeel-blues
CH.com Veteran

I Love CH.com!

matthews nc
Reply #19 - Feb 21st, 2009 at 7:54pm

i just got 12 shots of .6 for 10 bucks....says on the reciept insurance saved me 1100 bucks

IP Logged

tcrotty80
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

minnesota
Reply #20 - Feb 28th, 2009 at 8:37pm

i just filled 6 boxes 12 shots and 180 verapamil 120mg at local hospital pharmacy and i paid 24 bucks. i got the generic kits. the ticket said i saved 590 bucks on the imatrex and 300 on the verapamil

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!