Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Handicap parking tag for CH? (Read 5018 times)
UnderTheRadar
CH.com Old Timer

Literally

Texas
Re: Handicap parking tag for CH?
Reply #25 - Jan 15th, 2009 at 2:02pm

Well, I got a temporary solution- my other doc gave me a letter to give the campus cops to get a temporary "all zone" pass, which means I can park in any lot (as long as I can find a space!) 

She wants to get the stamp of approval from a neuro before we try for the tag...she thinks I might get turned down if it's just on her word alone. And see if 02 works for me this weekend, because she said yes I can't ride the buses with a tank!  Cheesy

Remember- double-line the foil, shiny side out.

IP Logged

QnHeartMM
CH.com Sponsor

I AM a Phoenix!

San Diego, CA
Reply #26 - Jan 15th, 2009 at 4:45pm

It would seem to me that if your MD has prescribed O2 then you qualify under that one option. I would go back to the MD with a map of the school parking facilities and the building where your classes are. If more frequent attacks are causing more visits to the MD or the consumption of more prescriptions and/or O2, perhaps your insurance company can apply some pressure. A parking permit sounds like a win for everyone: you to have fewer attacks, and the doctor/health plan to lower costs to treat you.

Good luck. I would also appeal to your student services division and/or file a grievance for them not recogizing a physical impairment.

Treat people with kind words.

IP Logged

purpleydog
CH.com Alumnus

Reply #27 - Jan 15th, 2009 at 7:05pm

If  your MD signs off on it, then you got it. No need for the neuro to sign off too. However, I would invest in a portable cart to carry everything in, textbooks, O2, everything. It's much easier to roll one of those along. May as well make it as easy as possible.

Still gonna have to climb the stairs, or is there an elevator?

As for dirty looks, Kirk has a parking permit we use when he is in my truck. We get out, and he doesn't always use his cane. But... just because someone qualifies for the placard doesn't mean they look like they do. If you get any looks, then it's their problem. And also none of their business.

If you are at the grocery store, and walking out with a load of groceries, would that be enough to trigger you?

Quote:
i will not judge another man about what he needs.  not all handicapng  are visible,  i do get a bit tweaked with obese people in those spots and nothing  but crap junk food.

Interesting post. Which is it? Are you judging someone based on what you see as a handicap?

Is it really that big a deal if someone gets a handicapped placard for their car, so they can walk into somewhere without getting hit? If a doctor signs off on it, then what's the big deal?

Personally, I like to have the air in my face when I'm shadowing, or getting hit. I'd rather walk. But for Kirk's sake, we use the handicapped parking. Some days he can barely put one foot in front of the other. Other days are better.

If parking closer makes you get hit less, or no hits, then great. Give it a shot, and see if it helps! I hope it does!

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

IP Logged

Bob Johnson
CH.com Alumnus

"Only the educated are
free." -Epictetus

Kennett Square, PA (USA)
Reply #28 - Jan 15th, 2009 at 9:14pm

If you want to negotiate with your U folks:

(The author is one of the better headache docs around.)

Lancet. 1999 Sep 18;354(9183):1001-2.
Comment in:
Lancet. 2000 Jan 8;355(9198):147.

A new cluster headache precipitant: increased body heat.

Blau JN, Engel HO.

Exercise, a hot bath, or elevated environmental temperature provoked cluster headaches, within 1 h, in 75 out of 200 patients. This new observation accords with recognised precipitants--alcohol, histamine, and gyceryl trinitrate--perhaps via generalised vasodilatation or hypothalamic activation.

Publication Types:
Letter

PMID: 10501368 [PubMed]

========
I can't get this article but, being at a Unive, take the citation to your library and see if they can secure via inter-library loan. The point being, another bit of science that elevated temperature is a legit factor.
----
Hot bath-related headache: four cases with headaches occurring after taking a hot bath.

Müngen B, Bulut S.

Cephalalgia. 2003 Oct;23(8):846-9. No abstract available.

PMID: 14510933 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

« Last Edit: Jan 15th, 2009 at 9:33pm by Bob Johnson »  

Bob Johnson

IP Logged

UnderTheRadar
CH.com Old Timer

Literally

Texas
Reply #29 - Jan 15th, 2009 at 11:46pm

Thank you Bob!  I'll get those from the library. That should help...I don't know why she's being stubborn now...a few months ago she was really pushing for me to try oxygen, really hoping it would work for me- and now all of a sudden she's not too keen on writing the prescription for it.  Huh

I told her I was going to the meet n' greet this weekend and would be trying it out with the real experts, and that if it works for me that getting a script for it would make it really clear under the tag rules ("uses portable oxygen".)  I even printed out Batch's research paper and gave it to her.  

I'm starting to get the feeling that they want to wash their hands of me. Tongue

Purpleydog- yes, thank god, the art building has a huge elevator.  Smiley
And I've gotten hit from carrying around heavy stuff, so I try not too- and my boyfriend has a "thing" about getting to push the cart and load the groceries... Grin
« Last Edit: Jan 15th, 2009 at 11:58pm by UnderTheRadar »  

IP Logged

UnderTheRadar
CH.com Old Timer

Literally

Texas
Reply #30 - Jan 15th, 2009 at 11:54pm

BTW, thanks for the great dialogue on this, everybody...some great points have been raised, and it has made the issue clearer.

What's frustrating me now is that it's not so much whether or not I meet certain (rather vaguely written) criteria; my docs haven't even argued with me about that.  I've even heard from some people who get disability from CH.

It seems that now it's come down to good ol' bureaucracy- no one wants to put their name down on the document.  They want to pass the responsibility on to a neurologist, even though they know I have no insurance. So it's no longer about whether or not I have a need, it's about who has to be responsible for asking the government to meet my need?  *thhbbbbppppttt*  Tongue

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!