Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Handicap parking tag for CH? (Read 4991 times)
UnderTheRadar
CH.com Old Timer

Literally

Texas
Handicap parking tag for CH?
Jan 12th, 2009 at 3:44pm

Has anybody tried to get a handicapped tag for their car for CH? My doctor is being a weenie about it.

Honestly, I wouldn't care, except that at my university, off-campus students have to park so far away from the buildings that some days it's impossible for me to walk to class without triggering a major CH attack.  And forget about buses; they drop me off so far from my building that it's just as useless (and I still end up walking up three flights of stairs!)

Here in Texas, on the application, it states that a doctor must certify that I have a condition that meets one of several criteria, including:
(a) cannot walk 200 feet without stopping to rest
(e) uses portable oxygen
(g) is severely limited in the ability to walk because of an arthritic, neurological, or orthopedic condition
(i) has another debilitating condition that, in the opinion of a physician licensed to practice medicine in this state or a state adjacent to this
state, or authorized by applicable law to practice medicine in a hospital or other health facility of the Veterans Administration, limits or impairs
the person's ability to walk.

Does anybody have any experience with this?

Remember- double-line the foil, shiny side out.

IP Logged

Kevin_M
CH.com Sponsor

withered branches grow
green again.

Michigan, USA
Re: Handicap parking tag for CH?
Reply #1 - Jan 12th, 2009 at 4:30pm

Ch doesn't impair or limit the "ability to walk."

IP Logged

clusterf__ked
CH.com Newbie

Board lurker/episodic
10+ years

Virginia
Reply #2 - Jan 12th, 2009 at 4:36pm

You might partially meet some of those criteria, but personally I think those spots are there for folks who have more severe or apparent physical limitations...

IP Logged

Potter
CH.com Alumnus

Team MOOSE DROOL Stinky
Stuff on a Hook Prostaff

Blgs.Mt.
Reply #3 - Jan 12th, 2009 at 4:40pm

UnderTheRadar wrote on Jan 12th, 2009 at 3:44pm:
Has anybody tried to get a handicapped tag for their car for CH? My doctor is being a weenie about it.

Honestly, I wouldn't care, except that at my university, off-campus students have to park so far away from the buildings that some days it's impossible for me to walk to class without triggering a major CH attack.  And forget about buses; they drop me off so far from my building that it's just as useless (and I still end up walking up three flights of stairs!)

Here in Texas, on the application, it states that a doctor must certify that I have a condition that meets one of several criteria, including:
(a) cannot walk 200 feet without stopping to rest
(e) uses portable oxygen
(g) is severely limited in the ability to walk because of an arthritic, neurological, or orthopedic condition
(i) has another debilitating condition that, in the opinion of a physician licensed to practice medicine in this state or a state adjacent to this
state, or authorized by applicable law to practice medicine in a hospital or other health facility of the Veterans Administration, limits or impairs
the person's ability to walk.

Does anybody have any experience with this?

You gotta be shittin me?

Kinder gentler Potter

IP Logged

UnderTheRadar
CH.com Old Timer

Literally

Texas
Reply #4 - Jan 12th, 2009 at 5:17pm

No, I'm not kidding.  I get really, really bad hits with any elevation in heart rate...going up a flight of stairs can send me into a K8.  So walking half a mile with five textbooks, two totebags of art supplies and a portfolio every day is out of the question for me.

I know exercise doesn't bother a lot of CHers, even helps some, but in my case it does impair my ability to walk.  Like I said, for the rest of town I wouldn't care, it's just that at my school I have had a really hard time with this.  And clusterf'd, I only have to meet one of the criteria.

Please don't be ugly about this, guys.  I'm serious.  I almost failed out of school last semester because of the clusters, and I start school next week, and it doesn't look as though they've ended yet.  I'm trying not to drop out.  (for those who don't remember, I'm drug resistant; there's nothing we've found so far that helps without knocking me out,  so I'm doing this without relief.)

IP Logged

Jeannie
CH.com Sponsor

Live, Laugh, Love....

St Louis, Missouri
Reply #5 - Jan 12th, 2009 at 5:20pm

When in cycle, exercise triggers me too.   Could the school be of any help to you?

Jeannie

"It's all a grand illusion when you think you're in control." ~ Kenny Chesney

IP Logged

UnderTheRadar
CH.com Old Timer

Literally

Texas
Reply #6 - Jan 12th, 2009 at 5:25pm

The only thing the school will do is allow me to park in the handicap spots if I have a handicap tag...they won't do anything else.  The art building is surrounded by parking lots, but those are only for dorm residents- they won't let me park there.

IP Logged

Bob P
CH.com Hall of Famer

Shut up Bob!

Clio,California
Reply #7 - Jan 12th, 2009 at 5:35pm

Quote:
I think those spots are there for folks who have more severe or apparent physical limitations...

A man of honor.  I admire that!

Nothing irks me more than able bodied people using hadicapped spots, except maybe fat people buying cookies with their food stamps.

Mrs. Barlow, I never, and I repeat never, ever pissed in your steam iron.  "SHUT UP HUB!"
IP Logged

UnderTheRadar
CH.com Old Timer

Literally

Texas
Reply #8 - Jan 12th, 2009 at 5:44pm

I wouldn't use it around town.  but at the art building, there's about 15 handicap spaces, and at most there are 2 cars ever using them.  Embarrassed

IP Logged

Guiseppi
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

San Diego to Florida 05-16-2011

SAN DIEGO, CALIFORNIA USA
Reply #9 - Jan 12th, 2009 at 5:49pm

Exercise is one of those wobblers. For some it offers relief, for others like you, it's a trigger. You will probably find there is an appeals process. If the person in charge, in this case your doctor, says no, ask to speak to a superior. Make them watch one of the You Tube Videos of someone getting hit. Explain in your current status, avoidance of triggers is your only option.

And for those of you who are skeptical of CH being worthy of a "disability status," to quote many of you, maybe you don't really have CH. I'd expect a little more support for someone trying to legitimately avoid a hit then I am seeing on this board.

Joe

"Somebody had to say it" is usually a piss poor excuse to be mean.

IP Logged

Jeannie
CH.com Sponsor

Live, Laugh, Love....

St Louis, Missouri
Reply #10 - Jan 12th, 2009 at 5:53pm

Would you get hit if you walked slowly?  Maybe you could arrive early and take more time walking so as to not get your heart rate up as much?    I'm sorry I don't have better solutions...... just trying to figure out a way to help.  What about 02 to abort the hit before class starts?

Jeannie
« Last Edit: Jan 12th, 2009 at 5:55pm by Jeannie »  

"It's all a grand illusion when you think you're in control." ~ Kenny Chesney

IP Logged

Bob P
CH.com Hall of Famer

Shut up Bob!

Clio,California
Reply #11 - Jan 12th, 2009 at 5:58pm

Quote:
to quote many of you, maybe you don't really have CH

One can only hope!

Guess I'll just agree to disagree on this one Joe.

My University has a disabled students shuttle.  Kinda like a Dial-A-Ride.  Have you checked in to that?
« Last Edit: Jan 12th, 2009 at 6:00pm by Bob P »  

Mrs. Barlow, I never, and I repeat never, ever pissed in your steam iron.  "SHUT UP HUB!"
IP Logged

UnderTheRadar
CH.com Old Timer

Literally

Texas
Reply #12 - Jan 12th, 2009 at 6:04pm

Thank you, Joe and Jeannie.

As far as buses and shuttles, they all stop running at about 8pm, long before the end of my day; I have to be in the studio late at night sometimes, and I have a job as a computer lab monitor that lasts until midnight.

The funny thing is, if I'm using oxygen to abort, then I clearly DO qualify for a tag under "criteria (e): uses portable oxygen."   Grin

IP Logged

deltadarlin
CH.com Alumnus

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Downsville LA
Reply #13 - Jan 12th, 2009 at 6:36pm

Do you mind telling me what university you attend?  Some universities have their own rules regarding parking (check the university health or police website).  I know that where my daughter attends, they have it to where you can get handicapped from the campus, it won't allow parking in handicapped, but students can park in the teachers spaces.  Also at my daughter university, after 5:00 pm, parking is pretty much a free for all (the only way you can get a ticket is to park in a handicapped parking area).

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

IP Logged

cash5542
CH.com Hall of Famer

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

x1|Ocean Pines|USA|usa|498|141|MD,Maryland
Reply #14 - Jan 12th, 2009 at 7:10pm

Can we not judge other's needs based on our own? I think Joe already said it all. I was an art student without CH and carrying supplies is an issue in itself. Getting on and off a shuttle is near impossible with a portfolio, drawing tablets and a toolbox and I didn't even have to carry O2 with me.

Charlotte

cash5542  
IP Logged

Bob P
CH.com Hall of Famer

Shut up Bob!

Clio,California
Reply #15 - Jan 13th, 2009 at 4:40pm

But then again, under is not in cycle so really doesn't need a parking permit:
Quote:
Well, I'm sold!  the question is, if I've only just now ended a cycle, how long should I wait to test for my "normal" levels?    Might a test right now still show the "in cycle" levels?  this is exciting!

IP Logged

Rolomatic
Ex Member

Reply #16 - Jan 13th, 2009 at 4:56pm

I will say one thing, if others are like me than you will get some dirty looks from vets like me who see an able bodied person jump out of a car and run in to a store. I do however believe that Paige has no intention of receiving these bad looks for convenience sake…

IP Logged

LeLimey
Ex Member

Reply #17 - Jan 13th, 2009 at 5:01pm

Here in the UK several ch'ers have handicapped tags because of having to use portable oxygen - you can't take an o2 cylinder on a bus or any other form of public transport so therefore you CANNOT use public transport.

Think about it, you are carrying an accelerant for a fire - I sure as heck wouldn't want to get on a bus with someone lugging around an O2 cylinder never mind the fact that the weight of one or 2 E tanks alone would cripple you to have to carry without all the other stuff this chap needs.

What I want to know is if he gets no joy from his doctor where does he go next? Would an insurance company help? Is there a practice manager or another doctor at the practice you could see? Do you have a neurologist you could ask?

Don't leave it hanging, we all want to know please. This isn't just important info for you but for all of us

Good luck

Helen

IP Logged

Artonio
CH.com Alumnus

I Love

New Castle, Pa
Reply #18 - Jan 13th, 2009 at 5:51pm

Rather than go through all the hassle of getting a handicap permit... is it possible to have some of your o2 delivered and stored in a locker at the art building? It will at least get rid of your need to carry the o2.

also... I'm all for your pursuing the handicap parking permit for your condition... no-one knows better than you about what you need and what your ch is like.

If the parking permit should fall through... consider investing in some sort of a fold-up cart that will help you carry all of your gear.

Good luck to ya.

with warm regards,
Tony

For in our hands lies the ability to shape our world for good or for ill. President Barack Obama
IP Logged

UnderTheRadar
CH.com Old Timer

Literally

Texas
Reply #19 - Jan 13th, 2009 at 11:24pm

I'm at TSU in San Marcos- the college in central Texas that is famous for it's hills...they say it's the only place where you really can say "I walked to class uphill both ways."  Grin

That would be fair, Bob P, except that since I posted that post, I've gotten several rogue hits and I'm still shadowing every day again after about a week's reprieve...basically, at this point, I have no idea if it's over.  I'm just still in constant pain.

yes, Roland, I have far too thin a skin to endure the "dirty looks"!!  I really am only looking into this for the particularly bad parking situation at my campus.  I would NEVER use it around town. Basically, they've built this new building complex way out on the edge of campus, but have put in no commuter parking anywhere near it. 

Actually, I need to look into the 02 thing- I may not even be allowed to have it in the building.  Embarrassed  There's welding and all kinds of crazy chemical stuff going on.

And it sucks that the school won't budge at all on parking rules; but, then again, when has it been easy for any of us when dealing with the public and CH?  We get the fuzzy end of the lollipop enough as it is.  If I have to quit school because of this, I don't know what I'll do.
-Paige

IP Logged

Bob P
CH.com Hall of Famer

Shut up Bob!

Clio,California
Reply #20 - Jan 14th, 2009 at 7:28am

Guess I misunderstood.  I thought that maybe since your doctor was happy for you regarding psychadelics that they had worked and you were pain free.

IP Logged

DennisM1045
CH.com Alumnus

One wave at a time!

Haverhill, Massachusetts, USA
Reply #21 - Jan 14th, 2009 at 8:24am

One other thought I'll throw out there...

How about using a d-tank instead of an e-tank?  It's size makes it very portable and there is enough O2 for one hit. 

There are also loads of transport backpacks and bags to choose from.

-Dennis-

Where there is life, there is hope.
Where there is Oxygen, you must use proper caution.
So be safe, don't smoke while using O2. Kill the pain and not yourself.
dennism1045 dennism1045 524417261 DennisM1045 DennisM1045  
IP Logged

UnderTheRadar
CH.com Old Timer

Literally

Texas
Reply #22 - Jan 14th, 2009 at 8:26am

Sorry about that, Bob...it's not even very clear to me what's going on-we really thought they were on the way out, and then BAM! I got two days of hell, and now I'm back where I started.  But the pattern seems to be changing, and it's getting unpredictable.  I look back and I feel so stupid for thinking it was over!

On a funny note, I was telling my over-worrying mom (who's had heart bypass surgery) about this, and how exertion brings on an attack, and now she's freaking out that I'm going to die of clogged arteries in a year.  Cheesy  I can't win fer' losin'!!

IP Logged

on my knees
Ex Member

Reply #23 - Jan 15th, 2009 at 10:37am

I say pursue whatever it is that makes dealing with ch better for you, for me it would not make that much of a difference but i will not judge another man about what he needs.  not all handicapng  are visible,  i do get a bit tweaked with obese people in those spots and nothing  but crap junk food.

IP Logged

aubmari
CH.com Old Timer

Do not lose heart~

Helena, Montana
Reply #24 - Jan 15th, 2009 at 12:40pm

Under,

I am not sure how it works where you live, but here you can be issued a temporary tag. Same as would be issued for someone who broke a leg for example. Maybe your doctor would be more inclined to assist you if he knew it would be a temporary thing.  Undecided Just an idea.

Gina

Life is too short for drama & petty things, so kiss slowly, laugh insanely, Love deeply and forgive quickly.&&&&

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!