Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
O2 at work? (Read 3259 times)
Parrothead78
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Indiana
O2 at work?
Jan 10th, 2009 at 10:20pm

I am new (first 2 months)to cluster headaches and my neurologist prescribed me O2 therapy. It seems kinda hard to take this large tank to work. do I have options I also have tried imitrex injection which works great unfortunately insurance only wants to cover 6 doses in a month.... anyways this is really affecting my work as we all know you just can't do anything while an attack is happening I really just want some tips on some things that might work while I am at work....

IP Logged

Marc
Ex Member

Re: O2 at work?
Reply #1 - Jan 10th, 2009 at 10:57pm

I don't know what you do at work, but some of us keep an "E" sized tank or two in their car.

IP Logged

Parrothead78
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Indiana
Reply #2 - Jan 10th, 2009 at 11:54pm

I'm a computer technician and I have about two days of knowledge on using the O2 so forgive me but I am completely unsure what an E sized tank is Smiley I have alot to learn

IP Logged

George
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

Black-Billed Magpie

Boise, Idaho USA
Reply #3 - Jan 11th, 2009 at 12:25am

Take a look at the following two threads:

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

These should help get you going on the right track.  After reading them, if you have any questions at all you'd like to ask, please don't hesitate. 

Best,

George

"Whoever loveth me, loveth my hound."  (Thomas More, author of "Utopia", and Chancellor of England.  1477-1535)
WWW George jacox6820 7165032563  
IP Logged

Rolomatic
Ex Member

Reply #4 - Jan 11th, 2009 at 12:31am

Thanks George, I had to run for the tank... Best, Rolo... Smiley

IP Logged

George
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

Black-Billed Magpie

Boise, Idaho USA
Reply #5 - Jan 11th, 2009 at 12:34am

Quote:
Thanks George, I had to run for the tank... Best, Rolo... Smiley

Hope you're doing better now, Roland.  Must be, since you're back.   Wink 

Best,

George

"Whoever loveth me, loveth my hound."  (Thomas More, author of "Utopia", and Chancellor of England.  1477-1535)
WWW George jacox6820 7165032563  
IP Logged

Rolomatic
Ex Member

Reply #6 - Jan 11th, 2009 at 12:39am

K6 gone in 10 min at 25 LPM.

I was typing on the laptop in the dark by the tank in the BR George.

I'm still buzzin from the O2... Wink
« Last Edit: Jan 11th, 2009 at 12:39am by N/A »  

IP Logged

Parrothead78
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Indiana
Reply #7 - Jan 11th, 2009 at 12:43am

thank you for those threads it seems it is the E size tanks that I have. the company I get my O2 from gave me 11 tanks to start out with ,man seems like alot then, I used them and it seems I go through this stuff fast Smiley thank God insurance covers me well

IP Logged

Parrothead78
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Indiana
Reply #8 - Jan 11th, 2009 at 12:45am

I didn't realize I'd be spending so much time at this site... There is a ton of information here I do believe I have found me a home on the web

IP Logged

Guiseppi
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

San Diego to Florida 05-16-2011

SAN DIEGO, CALIFORNIA USA
Reply #9 - Jan 11th, 2009 at 12:50am

It's like the Hotel California, you can check out any time you'd like.... Grin

I keep an E-Tank in my cruiser while on cycle. It's my security blanket! Hoping it works as well for you.

Joe

"Somebody had to say it" is usually a piss poor excuse to be mean.

IP Logged

hefty
CH.com Newbie

Supporter of growly

Reply #10 - Jan 11th, 2009 at 12:50am

Hi,

This is a real problem for my husband john - he has his own web development company and prefers not to tell clients about his medical problems so o2 in the office is definitely out! Also we live in the city and don't have a car. Like you he's only just started on o2, but so far having some probs with rebounds.

All we can do is avoid setting up meetings or anything important at his worst times of day, and keep strong coffee and energy drinks handy for the milder ones. If that fails he just has to come home for the o2 and reschedule whatever work he can.

For him and some others I think, quickly downing cold energy drinks with taurine / caffeine can take the edge off or even abort a mild attack. That and strong coffee are socially acceptable and actually make you look hard-working rather than ill Smiley

I love that people are so unobservant - they have no idea when he's getting or just had an attack even though he looks like hell. They really don't notice when he's in so much pain he can hardly talk or think.  We are amazed at this but it's comforting and helps him not feel so self-conscious. He has time to get away before it's obvious and very few people have to know.

He has so much strength toughing it out to keep his job, working through the pain at every opportunity and keeping on meeting deadlines, but still people come down on him for being unreliable and uncommitted when he's unable to answer his phone during an attack, etc.! So unfair, and discouraging!!

Hoping others will have some more tips we can learn from. It's stressful enough going through this without all the problems at work too!  I really hope you get your beast on a tight leash soon Smiley

Lisa

IP Logged

Rolomatic
Ex Member

Reply #11 - Jan 11th, 2009 at 12:59am

Lisa,

Get a big tank of O2 along with a tank of helium. Get a bunch of self motivational balloons for the office and no one will even notice that you’re getting O2 delivered after that. As long as you change out the balloons regularly, no one will be the wiser… Then go in after hours and move the O2 into his office in a hidden cabinet.

Roland. Wink

IP Logged

Parrothead78
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Indiana
Reply #12 - Jan 11th, 2009 at 1:14am

I'd probably not realize it during an attack start sucking down the helium next thing I know I sound like mickey mouse for a week LMAO

IP Logged

Parrothead78
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Indiana
Reply #13 - Jan 11th, 2009 at 4:11am

didn't see the Lisa part of that but anyway just trying to turn a bad situation into a funny one after all laughter is always good medicine... Grin

IP Logged

hefty
CH.com Newbie

Supporter of growly

Reply #14 - Jan 11th, 2009 at 7:02am

hee hee brilliant plan! Roland definitely has a prime criminal mind.

Better still, stash o2 in the balloons for quiet quickies, and then if there's a client you really don't like you can just give them a balloon and invite them to light a cigar...

IP Logged

DennisM1045
CH.com Alumnus

One wave at a time!

Haverhill, Massachusetts, USA
Reply #15 - Jan 12th, 2009 at 12:22pm

Hey Lisa,

I don't understand his reluctance.  Is there a private area at the company?  If so, stash the tank in there.  If not, just keep it in a closet.

I have an e-tank on the floor of my cube.  Very few notice it and fewer comment.  When they do I just say it's for my CH and then answer any questions they have.

I also created my own version of the collegue letter and sent it to anyone who was likely to see me using O2.

As for clients... I can see him wanting to keep them in the dark.  Turn to an energy drink and/or coffee till they leave.  He could keep the tank in a bathroom closet too. 

Good luck...

-Dennis-

Where there is life, there is hope.
Where there is Oxygen, you must use proper caution.
So be safe, don't smoke while using O2. Kill the pain and not yourself.
dennism1045 dennism1045 524417261 DennisM1045 DennisM1045  
IP Logged

Marc
Ex Member

Reply #16 - Jan 12th, 2009 at 1:03pm

I've had to excuse myself to "handle an emergency" and was back before time was a big issue. Having coworkers clued in to my problem helped immensely. Breathing O2 at 25 LPM seriously reduced the abort time making so much easier to slip away for a few moments.

With CH's you just have to learn to work around them. I would much rather explain my momentary disappearance than have a client witness a full blown attack.

Marc

IP Logged

Guiseppi
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

San Diego to Florida 05-16-2011

SAN DIEGO, CALIFORNIA USA
Reply #17 - Jan 12th, 2009 at 3:35pm

I don't envy him the balancing act. CH is scary, watching someone in a full blown attack would unnerve most. My beat partners have a basic understanding and know why the green E-Tank gets loaded in the trunk of my cruiser while on cycle. They know if I logoff for a while with no explanation I'm just unavailable. But yeah, it is a balancing act!!!

Joe

"Somebody had to say it" is usually a piss poor excuse to be mean.

IP Logged

kika
CH.com Veteran

I Love CH.com!

Reply #18 - Jan 12th, 2009 at 6:43pm

Can anyone tell me about safety issues (if any) of travelling with a tank in the car?

I had a hell of a time getting my employer to allow me to have a tank in our staff lounge at work last round ( sadly, I work in a HOSPITAL!!!), so am gearing up for the same fight soon.

IP Logged

danm
CH.com Alumnus

x0|Cranford|USA||0|0|NJ,New_Jersey
Reply #19 - Jan 15th, 2009 at 9:10pm

I keep an "E" tank at work and work in IT.  I agree that it is easier just to be honest with your coworkers.  I have been going through these for so long now that everyone knows when my door is shut and the mask is on to not come near me.  It actually works out well.

these things suck!!!!

IP Logged

hefty
CH.com Newbie

Supporter of growly

Reply #20 - Jan 16th, 2009 at 12:45pm

Dennis - Using 02 at work is just not so good when it's one of these trendy open plan spaces... Even the chillout space is open plan.Roll Eyes Ok the bathrooms are not *totally* open plan,,, hehe. But certainly nowhere private to go. There are several companies sharing the space, and some of these are clients.

I think if clients knew about CH they'd try to be understanding but would naturally lose confidence, and word would get around. They'd probably tend to assume that his health was impacting their business whenever any of the inevitable project hiccups happened. Would love to hear from anyone with experience of this though.

I guess we can hope to be more open when the company is more established and he has a strong enough reputation to handle that.
Or get a car and keep it in there...

IP Logged

DennisM1045
CH.com Alumnus

One wave at a time!

Haverhill, Massachusetts, USA
Reply #21 - Jan 16th, 2009 at 3:53pm

Thanks for the explanation. It clears things up quite a bit.

How about a d-tank?  They're roughly 1/2 the size of an e-tank and hold enough O2 to abort a single attack.  Very portable.  Lots of carrying options too.  Bags, backpacks, etc...

-Dennis-

Where there is life, there is hope.
Where there is Oxygen, you must use proper caution.
So be safe, don't smoke while using O2. Kill the pain and not yourself.
dennism1045 dennism1045 524417261 DennisM1045 DennisM1045  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!