Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Nearly 3 year absence...now they are back (Read 1012 times)
ScottEinDC
CH.com Junior

Washington, DC
Nearly 3 year absence...now they are back
Jan 9th, 2009 at 9:45am

Hello everyone,

It's been nearly three years without having a CH for me.  Once or twice over that time the aura would come back and haunt me a little.  Starting the weekend after Thanksgiving 08 I got hit out of the blue while riding in the car, it lasted for a very short time.

For the past week I've had one CH a day. 

Two weeks ago my doctor put me on Lexapro to help with my anxiety/panic attack/stress issues.  Anyone know if the lexapro might be related to the return of the CH?  Or do you think it could be the anxiety and stress? 

I count myself blessed to have gone so long, the longest I've ever gone, without the CH, but it just takes one to remind you how horrible they are.  I'm grateful it's winter because a walk outside without a jacket helps chase them away!  I don't have that luxury in the summer.

Thanks,
Scott

IP Logged

Bob Johnson
CH.com Alumnus

"Only the educated are
free." -Epictetus

Kennett Square, PA (USA)
Re: Nearly 3 year absence...now they are back
Reply #1 - Jan 9th, 2009 at 10:16am

I've not seen any convincing evidence of links with specific meds and/or to stress/anxiety.

It's true that depression & anxiety reduces our tolerance of pain and so it may appear that there is a linkage but not a 1:1.

You might consider reading this little essay and see it this approach might be of interest to you.

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

Bob Johnson

IP Logged

Guiseppi
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

San Diego to Florida 05-16-2011

SAN DIEGO, CALIFORNIA USA
Reply #2 - Jan 9th, 2009 at 12:01pm

I've gone almost 2 years pain free...just when you start to convince yourself the bastard is gone.........he shows his ugly face!!!!

You got a decent regimen to deal with them? Hopefully oxygen? Wink

Hang in there.

Joe
« Last Edit: Jan 9th, 2009 at 12:02pm by Guiseppi »  

"Somebody had to say it" is usually a piss poor excuse to be mean.

IP Logged

Melissa
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

Don't give up!

Central WI, USA
Reply #3 - Jan 10th, 2009 at 10:39am

Honestly Scott, it could be that you were just due for your cycle.

Mine are back after 3 years myself.  Anyway, I did experience one cycle while taking Cymbalta for anxiety/panic disorder w/depression.  It didn't cause them though, as I've been going through this since I was 16.

I am off all prescribed medications now, and have found out that Taurine has worked better than any other vitamins (i.e. St. John's Wart, Passion Flower, B12, Bcomplex, etc.) at virtually eliminating my anxiety.  This is after much trial and error! 

I agree about the O2, have you any yourself?  I called my doc to call in a prescrip. for it, but looks like I'll have to be without until Monday (he HOPES Angry).

~mel

Diseases can be our spiritual flat tires - disruptions in our lives that seem to be disasters at the time but end by redirecting our lives in a meaningful way.  ~Bernie S. Siegel
https://www.facebook.com/mellymoo92  
IP Logged

ScottEinDC
CH.com Junior

Washington, DC
Reply #4 - Jan 12th, 2009 at 9:30am

Thanks for the feedback. 

I figured it was just another new cycle and not linked to the new medicine, but I thought I'd ask.

I haven't used O2 before.  My last cycle, 3 years ago, lasted a good 4-6 months and by the time I made it to the neuro and he prescribed a few different meds, then they stopped...

I have a better handle on my symptoms now and know what I'm looking for, so i might be able to make the case if they pick up strength and frequency.

IP Logged

Guiseppi
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

San Diego to Florida 05-16-2011

SAN DIEGO, CALIFORNIA USA
Reply #5 - Jan 12th, 2009 at 10:43am

I'd strongly encourage you to push for the 02. Looks to be having about a 70% success rate on the board, cheap, no medicine side effects, I can abort an attack in 6-8 minutes using the 02. Do your research here, print ou the info, and get ready to dig your heels in and demand it!! Good luck.

Joe

"Somebody had to say it" is usually a piss poor excuse to be mean.

IP Logged

FramCire
CH.com Alumnus

Life like a froward child
must be humored a little

Bolivar, MO USA
Reply #6 - Jan 12th, 2009 at 11:02am

I tried Wellbutrin twice and both times a cycle started within days.  Now, that is harldy scientific and both times were about the same time of year.

take that for what it is worth (not much).

I did try Lexapro without any issues.

With this said, I do think there was something I read about certain types of anti-depressants, but I cant find the article.

Sorry to muddy the water more.

You've overstayed your welcome since the day we met but it doesn't seem to matter to you.  No medications are your master, nothing makes you fret, it's a helpless feeling having nothing I can do

IP Logged

Melissa
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

Don't give up!

Central WI, USA
Reply #7 - Jan 12th, 2009 at 11:38am

Scott, I get my O2 prescribed from my general practioner, maybe you could do the same?  Also, please do not wait to get it prescribed as you don't want to get caught with high levels of pain a few days from now and no abortive (unless you already have one?  You did not say...).

Diseases can be our spiritual flat tires - disruptions in our lives that seem to be disasters at the time but end by redirecting our lives in a meaningful way.  ~Bernie S. Siegel
https://www.facebook.com/mellymoo92  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!