Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
A small step into understanding... (Read 1412 times)
BarbaraD
CH.com Alumnus

Hugs to ya

Douglasville, TX
A small step into understanding...
Jan 4th, 2009 at 7:17am

My Christmas Day was spent with my O2 tank. I missed the "family" gathering cause I woke up with Mr. Demon and he visited all day (guess he was lonesome).

Anyhow, had a bunch converge on me for the New Year (Mr. D  went away, so it was fun). Had the whole gang out there for dinner and was giving my sister-in-law the tour of the house (she's a PHd and Knows I have "headaches" but in her "organized" world everything has a "solution".). Anyhow we got to my bedroom and she saw the O2 set up and the extra tanks (ok so I'm not real neat - they're everywhere).

She looked "shocked" and asked, "Are you on Oxygen?" I told her it was my pain med. She looked even more confused and repeated, "Pain medicine?" For the first time I got to give her a speil on CH and I THINK I got thru that these are not "Take an aspirin and call me in the morning" headaches. I can't take a pain pill and get better... blah blah blah... These are "suicide" headaches and have to be treated unconventionally. She got real interested in the research. But the thing is -- she finally understood that when I skip a "family" thing - it has a REASON!

The funny thing is, she said what "everyone" says, "but you Look fine". Of course I do -- I'm NOT having a headache right NOW!

I just wish there was some "easy" way to explain this malady so's people could understand, but I guess we'll just keep on trying and they'll just keep on telling us we "look" fine and what's the problem.

Hugs BD

What don't kill ya, Makes ya stronger!

IP Logged

ClusterChuck
CH.com Alumnus

The BEAST rises again,
and again, and again,
and .

Greenville, North Carolina
Re: A small step into understanding...
Reply #1 - Jan 4th, 2009 at 7:43am

Barb, I am SO sorry that you had to miss Christmas!  I spent most of the day keeping him company too, but I DID get to spend a small part of the day with family.  

I DID convince him to stay with me for New Year's day, though.  I didn't want him hampering anyone else ...

I am glad you got another person convinced and enlightened on our condition.  Many times it is just one person at a time.  It is a slow tedious project, but we need to keep at it.

BUT, I have to disagree on your sister-in-law's observation ...
Quote:
"but you Look fine"

That is a matter of personal observation, and obviously she needs to have her eyes checked.  QUICKLY!!!

Chuck, who DOES see well enough ...

CAUTION:  Do NOT smoke when using or around oxygen.  Oxygen can permeate your clothing or bedding.  Wait, before lighting cigarette or flame.  

Keep fire extinguisher available, and charged.
ClusterChuck  
IP Logged

Monica
CH.com Junior

My love for Joe is stronger
than the beast!!

Thornville Ohio
Reply #2 - Jan 4th, 2009 at 8:38am

Barb,
My husband was just recently diagnosed, should've been properly diagnosed YEARS ago! He always would tell me in the mornings that he woke with a headache again. I would just think...okay headache, we have all had a headache. He never told me how intense the headaches were so I never thought anything more. Then came the diagnosis and I had never heard of such a thing...cluster headaches, what is that?

So being the curious George that I am, I started digging in and thank God for the Internet, full of information!! BUT the turning point of how I found out how serious his condition is, was when I watched Chuck's UTUBE video when he was getting his hit. I pulled my husband into the den and had him watch with me, I asked "Is this what you go through" and stated "that is exactly what I go through". My heart just broke for him AND the man I was watching on the video!! Tears and more tears!!

These are NOT headaches; headaches don't cause this much pain! I think they need to find a new name for this, something other than HEADACHE!! I believe that is why people, such as your relative, take it so mildly and sluff it off as "everyone gets a headache".

My advise is to have them watch the video and if they don't understand after that, then they are just BLIND!!

I have had our sons, my mother and my brother view the link and now they have the understanding as well! Next on my list is Joe's Dad but I have to wait until he visits us, he does not have a computer. When I have talked to his Dad, he is concerned but says things like, but its a headache...there goes that statement again and again IT IS NOT A HEADACHE...CHANGE THE NAME, PLEASE!!! I must have said that a hundred times just last night when Joe and I were talking!!

Take care and my thoughts and prayers are with you and everyone who suffers!
Monica, Supporter
« Last Edit: Jan 4th, 2009 at 9:02am by Monica »  
Monica Lovejoy  
IP Logged

ClusterChuck
CH.com Alumnus

The BEAST rises again,
and again, and again,
and .

Greenville, North Carolina
Reply #3 - Jan 4th, 2009 at 9:58am

Monica

I am amazed at how many people have watched me in that youTube video ... When I agreed to be filmed, I had no idea it would have such an impact.  I guess it was worth doing, after all.

It is really funny that I agreed to it, actually.  The reason I say that is that at home or anyplace other than with fellow clusterheads, I go and hide when I get hit.  Even two of my four children have never seen me in a bad hit, and I have had these for almost 30 years now.

I also find it very strange, that with "normal" people, I don't let ANYONE near me, or heaven forbid, touch me, while getting hit.  Yet, as you saw on the video, Luke was holding me, and trying to keep me from banging my head, and pulling my hair, and it didn't bother me at all.  If any "normal" person had tried that, I would rip their arms off and shove them up where the sun doesn't shine!  LOL ...

I am glad it has helped your family to understand!

Good luck!

Chuck

CAUTION:  Do NOT smoke when using or around oxygen.  Oxygen can permeate your clothing or bedding.  Wait, before lighting cigarette or flame.  

Keep fire extinguisher available, and charged.
ClusterChuck  
IP Logged

Monica
CH.com Junior

My love for Joe is stronger
than the beast!!

Thornville Ohio
Reply #4 - Jan 4th, 2009 at 10:09am

Chuck,
You are an amazing person to have put yourself in a position to help your fellow sufferers and yourself! I did say when I watched the video, "God Bless him for video taping his attack, or else I would have never know the extent of this disease". Lots of love goes out to you!! My eyes are wide open now!!
Monica

ClusterChuck wrote on Jan 4th, 2009 at 9:58am:
Monica

I am amazed at how many people have watched me in that youTube video ... When I agreed to be filmed, I had no idea it would have such an impact.  I guess it was worth doing, after all.

It is really funny that I agreed to it, actually.  The reason I say that is that at home or anyplace other than with fellow clusterheads, I go and hide when I get hit.  Even two of my four children have never seen me in a bad hit, and I have had these for almost 30 years now.

I also find it very strange, that with "normal" people, I don't let ANYONE near me, or heaven forbid, touch me, while getting hit.  Yet, as you saw on the video, Luke was holding me, and trying to keep me from banging my head, and pulling my hair, and it didn't bother me at all.  If any "normal" person had tried that, I would rip their arms off and shove them up where the sun doesn't shine!  LOL ...

I am glad it has helped your family to understand!

Good luck!

Chuck

Monica Lovejoy  
IP Logged

DennisM1045
CH.com Alumnus

One wave at a time!

Haverhill, Massachusetts, USA
Reply #5 - Jan 4th, 2009 at 11:21am

Sorry Christmas was a bust Barb.  At least I know where he was now because he wasn't at my house. 

Though he spent most of the four days after with me.  Finally started my prevents a few days ago.  Yes, stress can cause a cycle...

I've given up trying to explain my attacks (I don't call them headaches) to anyone that doesn't get to see one.  Anyone in the medical field, those on my office row, my peers who happen to walk in at the wrong time and my immediate family.  Everyone else just lacks a proper frame of reference.

-Dennis-

Where there is life, there is hope.
Where there is Oxygen, you must use proper caution.
So be safe, don't smoke while using O2. Kill the pain and not yourself.
dennism1045 dennism1045 524417261 DennisM1045 DennisM1045  
IP Logged

BarbaraD
CH.com Alumnus

Hugs to ya

Douglasville, TX
Reply #6 - Jan 5th, 2009 at 7:13am

Monica, I've not seen the video, but I have seen Chuck have one (or several for that matter) first hand and it is an eye opener. The best one he ever did (he wasn't such a camera hog then) was at a wonderful dinner back in Nashville. We were all having such a great time and he wasn't getting his attention, so he just had a CH in the middle of everything.

Now you wanna know how to shake up a restaurant in a hurry. Looking back we all "laugh" about it today. At the time Luke took care of Chuck (called the hotel to for someone to bring his O2) and the rest of us just kept on eating, drinking and visiting (ignoring the old bat). People in the restaurant were ready to throw stones at the rest of us for not "doing something". Svenn (or Charlie) explained to the next table folks what was going on (after they threatened us) and they finally settled down.

You just can't take Chuckles anywhere nice and not show him the proper amount of attention! Smiley

All kidding aside - the video will open some eyes and if anyone can watch Chuck having a hit and not be moved - there is something wrong with them. And you're right - the word "headache" does NOT describe what we go thru.

Since I was diagnosed (back in the stone age) we've come a long way in getting the word out, but we're still in the dark as far as people knowing what we have or understanding even a little that what we have is BAD. But at least we have each other now (and that's a BIGGIE - trust me) so we're getting there...

Hugs BD

What don't kill ya, Makes ya stronger!

IP Logged

sandie99
CH.com Hall of Famer

Wish it, dream it, do
it - inspite the pain!

Finland
Reply #7 - Jan 5th, 2009 at 2:06pm

Barb, I'm so sorry that the beast visited you on Christmas Day!

You're right - I wish that it would be a lot easier to explain this all to people. Aguess that is another thing that ch community will have to figure out on its own and we sure have had to try different ways! I'm glad that your sister-in-law understands ch a lot better now.

I do know very well that because I've been hit for the past few days, I might be facing another occasion in which I need to explain all about ch to a lot of people who have never heard about it come Saturday. That's when my dear friend and her boyfriend will host a party for their closest friends and I cannot miss that event.

I have explained the friend in question about ch more times than I want to remember and it doesn't matter how smart she is - she simply doesn't get it. At this point, I don't really plan to try, I'll just take my energy drinks with me and make sure that I can find a quiet place where to deal with the beast if it decides to crash the party. Part of me does think about letting everyone see me getting hit - after that few of other friends might get it as well - but then again - it's not my party; I don't want to shock a lot of people I have never met before. Nor ruin their evening.

I do realise that I'm getting in "pain zone", in which I go to when ch arrives. When I bought some more energy drinks earlier today and one young boy told me that the brand I bought is a good one, I told him that they are medicine for me - and understood what I said might have sounded a bit odd only after the kid asked me more information... Grin

Oh, the life with ch...

Sanna

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

IP Logged

Pixie-elf
CH.com Hall of Famer

I've tried the rest, and
busting is the best!

Beaumont,Tx
Reply #8 - Jan 5th, 2009 at 2:45pm

The beast visited me too on Christmas. I just went and hid in one of my Great Aunt's back rooms. Sorry to hear the bastard visited you too!

I have a bit of the opposite problem with my family. They know how severe this disease is. They know how much I'm hurting. On top of it, they do worry that I might kill myself because of it. I wish if nothing else, I'd kept the suicide headache part to myself. My Aunt is mentally ill, and she is now freaking out that without a car to get me to the ER during as severe hit I might end up killing myself. :/ So for me it's more of a curse... It hurts them so much worse knowing that it breaks ME... Expecially with all that I've been through already... It's tearing them all apart.

I've never really gotten the chance to hide my hits. If someone hears me scream, it's generally something they HAVE to check out. (The docs wouldn't have it any other way, I'm too accident prone.)

So, usually at least once during a severe hit, every household member has to see why I'm screaming. My room is RIGHT by the bathroom.

On top of that, after hurricane Ike hit and we had to evacuate, I was in a house, then a HOTEL full of people. No way to go into any room without someone being there.

The nice thing? All of the kids just assumed that whatever I was doing was normal. It didn't weird them out any. It really doesn't, they just get concerned and want reassurance that it WILL get better. They also wouldn't bother me during one. I'm babysitting on a daily basis for my cousin, and both of the kids, a 1 year old, and a 4 year old, seem to have picked up not to mess with me during it... Now after one, when I go to try to sleep from exhaustion, I'm of course fair game.

So, since I don't like to be touched during hits, my Mom mentioned this to my neurologist... How if someone goes to comfort me I cringe away.

His response was "I wouldn't want to be touched either!" Cheesy

My pets also have gotten to where they don't mess with me, but the really WEIRD thing? Is one of my dogs will whine if she notices my left eye is shut. Let's say I pass through the room to go get an energy drink... The dog will immidiately start whining, before anyone else has saw that I have a cluster. One of my friends suggested I may be putting off a scent that they're picking up on that warns them not to mess with me.

I had a seizure dog when I had seizures, she was untrained, but would freak out before one, then put her body across mine during one. Dogs being able to smell something like that is nothing new to me. I think in this case though it's just that she notices my left eye closed or me grabbing my head and knows what it means.

Mystina

ETA: Sanna, the energy drinks being medicine, I told that to little Jose. He saw me chugging one during a cluster and asked what it was. I told him it was a drink for big people, but it helped my eye to feel better.

He informed me he did not want to be a big person... XD
« Last Edit: Jan 5th, 2009 at 2:47pm by Pixie-elf »  

As far as I'm concerned, cluster busting has been the best treatment I've tried. No migraines since I started it, and my hits have gotten so much better. Wanna know more?

It's saved my life.

IP Logged

purpleydog
CH.com Alumnus

Reply #9 - Jan 5th, 2009 at 5:02pm

Barb, I'm sorry you spent Christmas with your O2, that sucks. I'm glad your sister-in-law seems to get it now. Of course you look fine. Come back when you're getting hit!

I recently went to my grandpa's funeral, and my left eye has been drooping, red and irritated since the last high cycle I was in, from November. When the family was at the restaurant afterward, everyone asked what was wrong with my eye. I told them... clusterheadaches. They all nodded, because they know. No one said another word about it.

When the convention was in Dallas the first time, I saw Chuck get hit, and was with him for a few of them. Thing was... I could see Chuck was about to get hit... and we'd grab the O2 and take it to him. He would decline (stubborn man!), until he started to get hit. Sometimes we got it to him just as it started. We were in a board meeting when I saw him getting that look, and we got him the O2, and nearly ganged up on him to get him to use it. He did, and it was a short hit (Thank goodness!!!!!).  

I think we all put off signals that we don't think anything of at the time, but others can see.  I also saw others about to get hit, and one thing I noticed is that some people were rubbing their temples, or that area, on the affected side. Maybe it's a natural reaction, kind of a sub-conscious thing. And then there were others who just had that "look" on their face. There were some weird storms that rolled through, and a lot of people who were out of cycle were getting hit during the seminar, when the speakers were speaking. One good thing is that someone was with someone else while they were getting hit, for support, for the most part. I think CH'ers are the most generous people I know.

Mystina, I'm not sure if it's really a scent that dogs pick up on, I tend to think it's more of a 6th sense they have in regard to being able to tell, and warn us of an oncoming event. My dogs didn't warn me (that I remember), but they knew I was getting hit, and were there for me when it was done. I currently have a cat that jumps up on me as soon as my hits are over, and starts purring loudly. Animals are great, aren't they?

p.s  I love ya Chuck, even if yer a stubborn young man!!  (oops, did I say young? I'll never hear the end of it from Kirk!  Wink )

IP Logged

Ungweliante
CH.com Veteran

Happiness comes from personal
choice \o/

Helsinki, Finland
Reply #10 - Jan 6th, 2009 at 4:18am

I agree about the headaches being not the best word to use. (Un)luckily, most of my family and friends know very well how a migraine feels like, so they relate the attacks to that. It's not the same, but it's same enough for them. And they do get migraines bad enough to incapacitate them. The family from my father's side, on the other hand, has trigeminal neuralgias passing down the line. I don't have that much contact with them, though.

Usually when I try to describe the stuff to new people, I use the words "Horton's neuralgia". They always go like "???" at first but at least don't relate it to normal headaches.

Also, I'm sorry that you guys had to get visited on the holidays too. It's difficult to deal with the pain, but another thing altogether to deal with the social issues caused by CH...

- Best regards and PFDAN,
Rosa

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!