Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Intro + A little about my history of Cluster's (Read 917 times)
Joshewon
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Intro + A little about my history of Cluster's
Jan 3rd, 2009 at 6:21pm

Hello everyone,

My name is Josh. Nice to meet you all !!

I am a 27 year old male and i live in NC.
I have been having cluster migraines my whole life. As long as i can remember. My mother also often has headaches so i thought there might be a genetic trait here. But mine are a good bit different than hers.
It started out really young and i would just have a really bad headache all day. Throwing up, Light sensitivity, Noise sensitivity etc.
Then when i got in my teens a new headache would start. I have been having them about every day now for many many years. Seems like my whole life has been dealing with these while the world was turning around me.

I would go to sleep and wake up around 2 hours after going to sleep with a HORRIFIC eye headache. The pain would be all around my right eye and my right side of my face, Right sinus with complete clogging. I also have pain in my right teeth with this happens. Also hard core pain on the right side of my neck right below the skull. My tissue around my right eye gets puffy like someone hit me.
The pain is so horrific. I am a screaming mess when this happens and lately its been happening up to 3 o 4 times a night and they last around an hour each. It is the craziest thing. The next day i have what i call a tremor headache all day. Sore constant headache etc.
I was sure that over the years i had damaged my eye during the process. I would put steaming hot microwaved rice heat packs on my eye. It hurts so bad from the heat but anything is better than the headache. I have used ice also. Sometimes one helps better then the other but i can't really say helps because for some reason it has to run its course. When the hour is up my face looks tore up. Pressing and rubbing so hard i was sure at the times that i was doing damage. Again not caring because i just wanted the pain to go away.

Throughout the years i have gotten really really depressed and was diagnosed with Manic depressive and bipolar. But i have to wonder if it is from being in pain all the time. Not to mention that i am 27 and have been diagnosed with fibromyalgia . What the crap is in our drinking water huh??

Anyways i have done the doctor deluxe package and paid thousands upon thousands of dollars for some headache meds and pain meds and oxygen therapy. I have had scans galore. Nothing seems to be the problem.
Although when i use to go to a chiro they said i had an inflamed c-1. Not sure if this has anything to do with my headaches. I have been also told i could have TMJ.

I'm glad i found this site. I'm just getting so fed up and my wife is getting fed up too. She is tired of me being in pain and we hardly get to go anywhere anymore cause i have them ever morning and then have the tremor all day. I'm basically disabled at 27. Maybe i should see if i can get on disability. Then at least i could go to the doctor regularly as everyone knows no work no play no doc PERIOD.

I wanted to see if anyone could relate to these symptoms. Any treatments that worked etc. I have tried so many meds, OTC = Nothing. BetaBlockers = nothing imutrex = nothing tramadol = nothing  Maxalt = nothing and a LOT of others i can't even remember the names through the years. The only thing that has helped me is pain killers but my doctor said that he couldn't prescribe them any more cause he got a visit from the DEA. Also he only gave me 10 5MG vicodin a month so i could only have a short period of time to feel good.

Just thought i would pop in and see if anyone has anything that worked.

Thanks for listening.

Josh.
« Last Edit: Jan 3rd, 2009 at 6:28pm by Joshewon »  

IP Logged

Batch
CH.com Alumnus

Control The Beast With
O2 & D3 You Must

Bremerton, WA
Re: Intro + A little about my history of Cluster's
Reply #1 - Jan 3rd, 2009 at 7:54pm

Hey Josh,

Welcome to CH.com.  From the symptoms you've described, it would appear a good neurologist should have given you a diagnosis by now.

I'm not a doctor but some of these symptoms sound like migraine and the others clearly like cluster headaches.  You could have both and you wouldn't be alone.  I'm not a doctor, but it sounds like you need a neurologist experienced in treating both conditions.  Using opiates is not a wise course of treatment for either condition unless under the direct control of a physician.  They only mask part of the pain and the price you'll end up paying with continued use is an even more painful detox/withdrawal...

I'm not sure where you are in NC but there's an excellent neurologist North of you in Chesapeake, VA who has a lot of experience treating both migrainers and cluster headache sufferers.  His name is Dr. Neil Pugach.  He was our guest speaker at the OUCH 2007 Convention in Richmond, VA.  The following link provides the contact info.

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

I didn't see any oxygen therapy in your history.  If you've not tried it see your neurologist about a prescription.

It should read like the following to prevent a lot of delays and problems with insurance coverage.

"Oxygen therapy with a non-rebreather mask as an abortive for cluster headache pain.  Administer at onset of attacks at a flow rate of 12-15 liters per minute for 20 minutes per hour, up to 12 times per day.”

Take care and keep us posted,

V/R, Batch

You love lots of things if you live around them. But there isn't any woman and there isn't any horse, that’s as lovely as a great airplane. If it's a beautiful fighter, your heart will be ever there
pete_batcheller  
IP Logged

MITYRARE
CH.com Old Timer

autocross racer

Ontario, Canada
Reply #2 - Jan 3rd, 2009 at 11:54pm

Welcome Josh.

Your story sounds so very familiar, and your resistance to prescribed medical therapies is similar to my own experience.

You are now with a good group of people that completely understand.

You have a private message.

Paul
« Last Edit: Jan 3rd, 2009 at 11:55pm by MITYRARE »  

Paul
"car crazy"

IP Logged

BarbaraD
CH.com Alumnus

Hugs to ya

Douglasville, TX
Reply #3 - Jan 4th, 2009 at 6:48am

Welcome Josh and you haven't said anything that a lot of us haven't said before so we can definitely relate... The one thing about his site is WE DO UNDERSTAND.

As to the wake up headaches at night - Melatonin (12-15mg) before you go to sleep. It may take a few days (or a week or so) to get in your system, but it helps get you thru the REM sleep where the headaches hit.

Red Bull at the first sign of a head ache (chug a can). Or an energy drink of your choice (be sure it has a high content of caffeine and at least 1000 mg of taurine).

O2 used properly has been the "Saviour" for about 70% of us. Most of those who say it doesn't work haven't used it properly. Batch and Chuck will tell you how to use it properly.

Pain pills only cause "rebound" and make the situation worse. Any good neuro will tell you this. Even too many Excedrin will make the situation worse. We have to be careful about pain meds (If I'm hittin' on an 8 or above with pain somewhere besides my head I MIGHT take a pain pill, but am very careful cause of rebounds).

You need to get on a prevent (and there are a bunch out there - ya just gotta keep trying till you get the ONE that works for you). I take topamax, but most here use verapimil or lithium.

If imitrex didn't help you might try cafergot (ergotomine). It's an old vaso-constrictor. A few of us still use it and think it's better than trex. It's also a LOT cheaper.

We're here for support (a biggie cause you are NOT alone anymore) and any help we can give. Ask questions, vent, complain, blow up - whatever - we've all been there and do understand the frustration and the pain. Get your wife on here and we've got a group to help her also.

Welcome to Clusterville and your home away from home.

Hugs BD

What don't kill ya, Makes ya stronger!

IP Logged

UnderTheRadar
CH.com Old Timer

Literally

Texas
Reply #4 - Jan 4th, 2009 at 9:42pm

Welcome to the funny farm!  You're among a small but strong community now... Wink

Remember- double-line the foil, shiny side out.

IP Logged

Guiseppi
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

San Diego to Florida 05-16-2011

SAN DIEGO, CALIFORNIA USA
Reply #5 - Jan 5th, 2009 at 4:55pm

The advice wagon has already slammed you with enough info to spin your head a bit. I'll just add my welcome!

Joe

"Somebody had to say it" is usually a piss poor excuse to be mean.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!