Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Problems falling asleep- Melatonin ? (Read 1352 times)
uncle-cluster
CH.com Junior

Oh, I'm the chuckle head?!

Problems falling asleep- Melatonin ?
Dec 23rd, 2008 at 6:02am

Problems falling asleep- Melatonin ? 
i know this has been discussed before. i would just like to hear some dosages and what other things people are taking ..
Xanax ?

IP Logged

BarbaraD
CH.com Alumnus

Hugs to ya

Douglasville, TX
Re: Problems falling asleep- Melatonin ?
Reply #1 - Dec 23rd, 2008 at 6:28am

Melatonin (12-15mg). It gets you thru the REM sleep where the CH hits.

I've never had trouble falling asleep - it's just the problem of staying asleep when the demon comes visiting. The Melatonin has done the trick for years.

My neuro said it's the same ingredients that's in those sleeping pills (can't ever remember the name of them) that they advertise on TV (the one with the chipmonk and Abe Lincoln and the dreams).

Hugs BD

What don't kill ya, Makes ya stronger!

IP Logged

Bob Johnson
CH.com Alumnus

"Only the educated are
free." -Epictetus

Kennett Square, PA (USA)
Reply #2 - Dec 23rd, 2008 at 9:12am

While high doses are used to treat CH, for sleep, the effective dose is quite low-0.3-.5mg.

This dose comes from a controlled study done in England several years ago. Take about one-hour prior to bedtime.

Bob Johnson

IP Logged

uncle-cluster
CH.com Junior

Oh, I'm the chuckle head?!

Reply #3 - Dec 23rd, 2008 at 9:22am

Bob Johnson wrote on Dec 23rd, 2008 at 9:12am:
While high doses are used to treat CH, for sleep, the effective dose is quite low-0.3-.5mg.

sorry.. which one are we talking about ?

IP Logged

Bob Johnson
CH.com Alumnus

"Only the educated are
free." -Epictetus

Kennett Square, PA (USA)
Reply #4 - Dec 23rd, 2008 at 12:14pm

Sorry, to treat CH folks take from 9 to 11mg.

For sleep, use 0.5 mg.

Bob Johnson

IP Logged

Pixie-elf
CH.com Hall of Famer

I've tried the rest, and
busting is the best!

Beaumont,Tx
Reply #5 - Dec 30th, 2008 at 1:59am

uncle-cluster wrote on Dec 23rd, 2008 at 9:22am:
Bob Johnson wrote on Dec 23rd, 2008 at 9:12am:

sorry.. which one are we talking about ?

He's talking about the Melatonin.

Well...Xanex? The problem is, that's habit forming. You don't want something that you'll have to be weened off of for this. From experience, it didn't help me sleep, in the least. I may just be immune to it's effects or something of the like.

Another thing you could try is Skullcap. It works along with the Melatonin. Both would be better for you, and a lot safer than Xanex. You'd get a better night's sleep from the herbs.

One more thing, if you have cats, take dried catnip, put it in a tea strainer, and make tea with it. Sounds nuts, but it might help you sleep. I don't know how it works for CH, but it's a really pleasant tasting tea. Helps for an upset stomach too.

As far as I'm concerned, cluster busting has been the best treatment I've tried. No migraines since I started it, and my hits have gotten so much better. Wanna know more?
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

It's saved my life.

IP Logged

washed-out
CH.com Junior

Native Engrish Speaker
:D

Poland
Reply #6 - Dec 31st, 2008 at 8:00pm

Melatonin works GREAT for me. I had some problems with sleeping for quite a long time (one of the causes was the CH), I don't even know when I had any dream for a last two years (I didn't remember any).

I've been taking 5mg of Melatonin for 7-10 days and I fall asleep pretty fast. If you want to take it just 'for sleeping', you shouldn't need biggest dose (usually people use much smaller), although it also depends on your age. Now I have 'wonderful' dreams every night and I don't feel 'sleepy' or weak next day (I felt so when I took some other medicines, eg. Topamax).

During first nights it was quite bad (I woke up during the night like 10 times), my eyes were 'crying' and I was yawning all the time, but now it's really good Smiley And you can sleep just as much as you want...

Moreover, I took it for the first time two or three days after my cluster headaches started again... And guess what. THEY'RE GONE! I was very pissed of because after some pain-free time my CH came back but it seems that Melatonin accidentally helped (: (when I was buying it I didn't remember posts about it on that message board).

IP Logged

-johnny-
CH.com Sponsor

theres no smoking on the
dock

fayette county ohio
Reply #7 - Jan 1st, 2009 at 2:29am

Bob Johnson wrote on Dec 23rd, 2008 at 12:14pm:
Sorry, to treat CH folks take from 9 to 11mg.

For sleep, use 0.5 mg.

yeah be sure you don't over do it. give it a few days to work. sleeping with ch is a fun old game. along with Melatonin try to sleep sitting up. breathright strips over your nose help. keep the o2 ready to go and start huffing as soon as you wake up. don't lay there in denial until your head is fire before you decide take action.  non generic 4 way nasal spray helps, cool or ice cold moist air in the room your sleeping in helps. a commercial size chiller with a vaporizer is ideal. Grin i've gone to the extent of sleeping in a lawn chain with a sleeping bag on the front porch. best sleep i've ever gotten in cycle was on the porch in the dead of winter.  Grin

you'll catch yourself doing some crazy stuff to get some rest Cheesy    
« Last Edit: Jan 1st, 2009 at 2:34am by -johnny- »  

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

IP Logged

superhawk2300
CH.com Hall of Famer

New Berlin, WI
Reply #8 - Jan 6th, 2009 at 5:12pm

Melatonin works like a charm for me (Thanks Nani!)

J - that is hilarious. I slept with the windows open during a cycle in the winter and that worked, but I had a much higher heat bill than you!

I'll try the porch next time!

WWW 1107217852  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!