Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Massage as a trigger? (Read 1107 times)
3-foot
CH.com Junior

Davisburg, Michigan
Massage as a trigger?
Dec 18th, 2008 at 12:23pm

So last Saturday my wife and I decided to get each other a two hour couples massage for X-Mas. Nice!  Now I've had massages before but this was a true deep tissue massage like nothing I've ever had, WOW.  My back was a wreck, even the thearpist commented how much work I needed.

So she is working me over pretty hard and while working on my traps on my left side I start feeling a small shadowy pain up the left side of my head from the base of my skull to my temple. Not painful but reminicent of a cluster.  You all know the feeling I'm sure.  I've been in remission since April 07 and I haven't had even the slightest headaches.  I didn't really think much about it at the time because it disappeared after she moved on to the next muscle group. There was a lot of muscle pain involved in this massage, not in a bad way, and I sure was relaxed afterward.

For the next two days I had very mild shadows on the left side, the side of my last and worst episode.  It seemed to go away by Tuesday but then last night about 6 pm, relaxation time, it started again. Bad enough that I found myself rubbing on that little tight spot on my temple, over and over again.  It's still so mild that I don't want to think that I've come out of remission until I have a full blown head pounder, maybe it's wishful thinking.

Ever have a massage trigger a headache?  I'm wondering if it just tweaked the same nerve that usually is involved in my clusters and the feeling is just scaring me.

IP Logged

MrsT
CH.com Veteran

I Love CH.com!

San Diego, CA
Re: Massage as a trigger?
Reply #1 - Dec 18th, 2008 at 3:56pm

I need to be careful with massages...........actually I need to be careful NOT to let my blood circulation on the CH side get so screwed up in the first place.  When my neck & shoulders are extra tight, my "regular attacks" are more severe and longer.  The vicious circle in my case is that if I get massaged (increased blood circulation), the sudden *blood rush* can dilate the blood vessels to start a CH----at least that's what it feels like.

IP Logged

Pixie-elf
CH.com Hall of Famer

I've tried the rest, and
busting is the best!

Beaumont,Tx
Reply #2 - Dec 18th, 2008 at 11:44pm

I'm still in my cycle, so I have no idea if out of cycle massage would bother me...

If the back of my head is touched, there's a chance I'll start having shadows, or a full blown attack. I think it's due to the occipital nerve in my case, at least.

As far as I'm concerned, cluster busting has been the best treatment I've tried. No migraines since I started it, and my hits have gotten so much better. Wanna know more?
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

It's saved my life.

IP Logged

nancyk
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #3 - Dec 19th, 2008 at 8:49am

I get regular deep massages and haven't had any problems either in or out of a cycle.  However, I had a face massage after one of my last acupuncture treatments and ended up with the worst headache that night that lasted for hours.  Might not be a connection, but maybe?

IP Logged

3-foot
CH.com Junior

Davisburg, Michigan
Reply #4 - Dec 26th, 2008 at 10:32am

Well in the end it didn't trigger my cycle. It was a couple of iffy days but I haven't come out of remission.  Smiley

IP Logged

shayzzee
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #5 - Jan 7th, 2009 at 11:47am

In the middle of my cycle I used one of those massage chairs and it brought on an attack that lasted 5 hours...one of the worst I ever had!

IP Logged

DennisM1045
CH.com Alumnus

One wave at a time!

Haverhill, Massachusetts, USA
Reply #6 - Jan 7th, 2009 at 2:05pm

I wonder if it has more to do with the relaxation.  You sure do get relaxed in the midst of a good massage. 

-Dennis-

Where there is life, there is hope.
Where there is Oxygen, you must use proper caution.
So be safe, don't smoke while using O2. Kill the pain and not yourself.
dennism1045 dennism1045 524417261 DennisM1045 DennisM1045  
IP Logged

jberzins
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #7 - Jan 9th, 2009 at 12:44pm

i dont know about the relaxation, but i will say i have had attacks that seemed to be started by either a massage or acupunture. i think it has something to do with a higher rate of blood flowing to my brain, but im not sure.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!