Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print
What does your CH pain "look" like? (Read 11776 times)
pubgirl
CH.com Hall of Famer

The next person who calls
it a migraine eats teeth

x0|London|United_Kingdom||0|0|
Re: What does your CH pain "look" like?
Reply #50 - Dec 19th, 2008 at 7:34pm

gizmo wrote on Dec 19th, 2008 at 3:47pm:
Quote:
May et al.: PET and MRA findings in cluster headache and MRA in experimental pain Neurology 2000;55

Using the advanced method of voxel-based morphometry, it has been suggested that there is a correlation between the brain area activated specifically in acute cluster headache--the posterior hypothalamic grey matter--and an increase in grey matter in the same region.

Quote:
Goadsby PJ., Pathophysiology of cluster headache: a trigeminal autonomic cephalgia. Lancet Neurol. (2002)

Observations of circadian biological changes and neuroendocrine disturbances have suggested a pivotal role for the hypothalamus in cluster headache.

"Suggested" doesn't sound like a proof to me.

Suggest you look at more recent research. Goadsby hasn't actually been asleep since 2002

W

Calling all Brits (and anyone else- all welcome) Join OUCH UK and help us fight CH together

IP Logged

-johnny-
CH.com Sponsor

theres no smoking on the
dock

fayette county ohio
Reply #51 - Dec 19th, 2008 at 10:50pm

anybody ever seen the movie "american warewolf in london"  when hes in that nurses appartment and all the sudden his face gets all streched out and his fingers grow and he rips off his clothes and within a few short minutes hes a beast.  one minute your sitting there watching tv relaxing and 2 or 3 minutes later your a completely different animal. then after your hair shrinks back to normal and your claws turn back to fingernails, you wake up naked in a zoo and kids are poking you with a stick. Grin
something else i've thought about is those peta videos when they skin a live animal, then throw him down in the dirt with all his nerves exposed and he just lies there confused and terrified.

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

IP Logged

CH-HELL
Ex Member

Reply #52 - Dec 19th, 2008 at 11:19pm

-johnny- wrote on Dec 19th, 2008 at 10:50pm:
anybody ever seen the movie "american warewolf in london"  when hes in that nurses appartment and all the sudden his face gets all streched out and his fingers grow and he rips off his clothes and within a few short minutes hes a beast.  one minute your sitting there watching tv relaxing and 2 or 3 minutes later your a completely different animal. then after your hair shrinks back to normal and your claws turn back to fingernails, you wake up naked in a zoo and kids are poking you with a stick. Grin
something else i've thought about is those peta videos when they skin a live animal, then throw him down in the dirt with all his nerves exposed and he just lies there confused and terrified.

Thats a good one Jonny,  has anyone seen the show True Blood?  If you havn't its on HBO and it about vampires and the vamps tears are blood,  now when I get hit hard my left eye waters and I always think its got to be blood coming out of my eye.  Anyone who has there eye water during a hit watch the intro to that show and tell me what you think.
           Phil Cool
« Last Edit: Dec 19th, 2008 at 11:21pm by N/A »  

IP Logged

AussieBrian
CH.com Hall of Famer

CH - It's all in your
head!

Cairns, Qld, Australia
Reply #53 - Dec 19th, 2008 at 11:27pm

My big regret since becoming a victim of ch.com is that I never kept a copy of every poem written on the subject. As a collection it would make a very telling story.

My name is Brian. I'm a ClusterHead and I'm here to help. Email me anytime at briandinkum@yahoo.com

IP Logged

gizmo
CH.com Hall of Famer

Germany
Reply #54 - Dec 20th, 2008 at 6:48am

pubgirl wrote on Dec 19th, 2008 at 7:34pm:
Suggest you look at more recent research. Goadsby hasn't actually been asleep since 2002

Quote:
CLUSTER Headache: The Journal of Head and Face Pain
Volume 45, Issue 3, Date: March 2005, Pages: 266-267

Positron emission tomography and functional MRI studies have shown that the ipsilateral posterior hypothalamus is activated during cluster headache attacks and is structurally asymmetric in these patients. These changes are highly specific for the condition and suggest that the cluster headache generator may be located in that brain area

Again: I don't say that the hypothalamus theory doesn't sound valid. I only say it isn't proven.

IP Logged

gizmo
CH.com Hall of Famer

Germany
Reply #55 - Dec 20th, 2008 at 7:52am

Quote:
If you have something better, bring it to light.

If I had something better I'd be rich.  Grin

IP Logged

barry_sword
CH.com Alumnus

Mountain Biking Keeps
Me Sane

Bracebridge, Canada
Reply #56 - Dec 20th, 2008 at 9:47am

This is me with a "after hit pic" before I got my o2 setup!

« Last Edit: Dec 25th, 2008 at 6:56am by barry_sword »  

QUIT SMOKING SEPT. 03 2005

IP Logged

DonnaH_again
Ex Member

Reply #57 - Dec 20th, 2008 at 11:43am

Check out Bob Johnsons thread "Brain scan research" just down this page a bit.  

Much newer studies and not just suggesting facts.

IP Logged

gizmo
CH.com Hall of Famer

Germany
Reply #58 - Dec 20th, 2008 at 11:49am

I've already read it.
The activation of the hypothalamus is a known fact, what is not known is if this is the cause or the result.

IP Logged

CH-HELL
Ex Member

Reply #59 - Dec 20th, 2008 at 12:39pm

Quote:
That picture of the devil with his fist in the sufferers eye was drawn by one of our members by the name of Fletcher (sp?)  It is copywritten.

Oh shit copywritten!Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
Does that mean I have to have this removed.  LOL  I drew this myself.

Phil Cool

IP Logged

CH-HELL
Ex Member

Reply #60 - Dec 20th, 2008 at 12:56pm

Sorry the pic is huge and looks bad! Tongue

IP Logged

UnderTheRadar
CH.com Old Timer

Literally

Texas
Reply #61 - Dec 20th, 2008 at 9:46pm

HAHAHAAA.....that's awesome, man!! 

That gets me thinking- how about a tattoo of an O2 "hookup" thingie?  You know what I mean... Grin

Remember- double-line the foil, shiny side out.

IP Logged

Layla328
CH.com Hall of Famer

Boston
Reply #62 - Dec 20th, 2008 at 10:24pm

I agree with all of that that there are similarities with SAD, seizure disorder, and there is definitely something not right with the serotonin!
It IS like you are waking up and having some kind of seizure except it is pain.  Maybe some kind of brain seizure?  Or at least something that feels like one.

IP Logged

Layla328
CH.com Hall of Famer

Boston
Reply #63 - Dec 20th, 2008 at 10:38pm

If anyone is interested here is an interesting article on comorbidity of epilepsy and migraine, good article (not sure if they are including cluster headache under the "umbrella" of migraine)

IP Logged

Pixie-elf
CH.com Hall of Famer

I've tried the rest, and
busting is the best!

Beaumont,Tx
Reply #64 - Dec 22nd, 2008 at 9:58pm

Layla328 wrote on Dec 20th, 2008 at 10:38pm:
If anyone is interested here is an interesting article on comorbidity of epilepsy and migraine, good article (not sure if they are including cluster headache under the "umbrella" of migraine)

One of my neuro's told me that it was believed that migraines set off in a similar manner in the brain, as a seizure. This was back when I was having them, so...about 8-10 years ago. Dunno if it still holds true or not.

My Mom has mentioned tht watching me go through the attack, and after, reminds her of when I had seizures. She said I get the same 'blank' look when the attack starts, and afterwards, I sometimes look dazed and confused. She thought at first it was my seizures resurging after all this time without them.

I don't know if it's because they're connected somehow, or what. I do know, both drain you mentally and physically. Neither is easy to recover from. It could just be due to the fact that the brain is having it's own issues that they seem similar.

As far as I'm concerned, cluster busting has been the best treatment I've tried. No migraines since I started it, and my hits have gotten so much better. Wanna know more?

It's saved my life.

IP Logged

Jeannie
CH.com Sponsor

Live, Laugh, Love....

St Louis, Missouri
Reply #65 - Dec 23rd, 2008 at 3:12pm

Thank you all for responding to this post.  It has been very interesting to me to read how you "see" your pain.  It has also made me sad for each of you.  There really is no one who can understand our pain like another sufferer can.  It almost makes me ashamed of myself that I find comfort in that there are others who know my pain.  

My wish and prayer for all of us is that we someday are cured of this thing we all have in common.  

Thank you to every supporter that visits this site.  You not only support your sufferer.. you support us here as well.  You are angels.

Much love,

Jeannie
« Last Edit: Dec 23rd, 2008 at 3:52pm by Jeannie »  

"It's all a grand illusion when you think you're in control." ~ Kenny Chesney

IP Logged

Snapper21
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Front Royal VA
Reply #66 - Dec 23rd, 2008 at 7:16pm

Bob P wrote on Dec 18th, 2008 at 6:50am:
Quote:
If you’re not hyperventilating on oxygen to abort your attacks, you’re not doing it right…

Well don't that just figure!  Didn't do the shrooms right and now I'm not doing O2 right!
At least the O2 works even though I don't do it right!

Don't you just eat them???? Man life is tough.

Atilla the hun jamming a lightning bolt right through my eye and coming out my chin.

IP Logged

Kirk
CH.com Alumnus

VINIMUS, VIDIMUS, DOLAVIMUS

Harts Lake, WA
Reply #67 - Dec 23rd, 2008 at 8:41pm

Sort of like the deck crane hook going through my eye and out the top of my head, and a lead line attached to my teeth, while being hoisted into the air and jerked around for what seems like forever.
   While the crab in the hold clack their claws in applause.

Smiley

kirkevrrt 161860987 kirk_jones511 2607+395th+St+CT+S  
IP Logged

Ray
CH.com Alumnus

Ray

Columbus, Ohio
Reply #68 - Dec 23rd, 2008 at 11:29pm

Kirk:

That's quite the picture....

Smiley

Ray

You have my prayers and compassion-I'm right there with you.

Dum tempus habemus, operemur bonum

*While we have the time, let us do good*

WWW raymond.schwartz759 rayplace raymond.schwartz759 raymond759  
IP Logged

UnderTheRadar
CH.com Old Timer

Literally

Texas
Reply #69 - Dec 24th, 2008 at 5:14pm

Here's  a tattoo for ya!  (I did it 2 days ago, but I'm lazy about uploading  Wink )

O2 4 LIFE, yo!

IP Logged

Rolomatic
Ex Member

Reply #70 - Dec 24th, 2008 at 5:44pm

UnderTheRadar wrote on Dec 24th, 2008 at 5:14pm:
Here's  a tattoo for ya!  (I did it 2 days ago, but I'm lazy about uploading  Wink )
O2 4 LIFE, yo!

Beautiful tat, and the recipient’s pretty good lookin too!!!
« Last Edit: Dec 24th, 2008 at 5:45pm by N/A »  

IP Logged

UnderTheRadar
CH.com Old Timer

Literally

Texas
Reply #71 - Dec 25th, 2008 at 1:17am

BWAHAHAAHAA!!  Oh boy, I should have been more clear- I photoshopped that picture....I WISH I looked like her right now!!  But I've been fightin' the beast for 6 months now, and he trashed my ass!!!  Grin

I took a stock photo of a model and a picture of an oxygen tank, and made the "O2 4 LIFE" banner and slapped it together.  But thank you- I must have done a pretty good job if anyone thought it was real!

IP Logged

Rolomatic
Ex Member

Reply #72 - Dec 25th, 2008 at 1:39am

Kind of looks a lot like this:

Video of K10 attack:
YouTube - Scanners (1981) Head Explosion Shot

This pretty much conveys the essence IMHO; in an equally graphic manor.
I’m expounding on Tony’s answer and adding the whole video clip to it…

Rolo… Cheesy
« Last Edit: Dec 25th, 2008 at 1:47am by N/A »  

IP Logged

midwestbeth
CH.com Sponsor

Edwardsville, IL
Reply #73 - Dec 27th, 2008 at 7:29pm

Pure white hot pain.

Dum vita est spes est
midwestbeth midwestbeth http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?ref=profile&id  
IP Logged

Jonny
Ex Member

Reply #74 - Dec 27th, 2008 at 7:47pm

You cant "Look" at CH pain.....sorry!

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!