Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print
What does your CH pain "look" like? (Read 11766 times)
UnderTheRadar
CH.com Old Timer

Literally

Texas
Re: What does your CH pain "look" like?
Reply #25 - Dec 18th, 2008 at 2:47pm

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

Remember- double-line the foil, shiny side out.

IP Logged

BlueDog
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

SoCAL, USA
Reply #26 - Dec 18th, 2008 at 3:44pm

OUCH!  Shocked  Bluedog

I'm surviving it all!

IP Logged

Nicholas
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #27 - Dec 18th, 2008 at 3:59pm

like a razor sharp electrified harp string pressing against the back of my eye, plucked  by some infernal madman squatting in my head  Cheesy

IP Logged

Rolomatic
Ex Member

Reply #28 - Dec 18th, 2008 at 4:30pm

Like Chucks video... Feels like a hot soldering iron in the back of my eye!

Roland. Wink

IP Logged

UnderTheRadar
CH.com Old Timer

Literally

Texas
Reply #29 - Dec 18th, 2008 at 4:58pm

You know, I told my doc it's like Charles Mingus playing "C Boogie" on my optic nerve, and god bless'er, she got it!!  Grin

IP Logged

thebbz
Ex Member

Reply #30 - Dec 18th, 2008 at 6:29pm

Quote:
(the hypothalamus thing is only a theory),

Abnormal grey matter growth in the hypthalamus has been confirmed with PET scans of cluster patients and is not a theory.
the bb

Quote:
Classified as a trigeminal autonomic cephalalgia, cluster headache is characterized by recurrent short-lived excruciating pain attacks, which are concurrent with autonomic signs. These clinical features have led to the assumption that cluster headache's pathophysiology involves central nervous system structures, including the hypothalamus. In the past decade, neuroimaging studies have confirmed such clinically derived theory by uncovering in vivo neuronal changes located in the inferior posterior hypothalamus. Using a variety of neuro-imaging techniques (functional , biochemical , and structural ) in patients with cluster headache, we are making improvements in our understanding of the role of the brain in this disorder. This article summarizes neuroimaging findings in cluster headache patients, describing neuronal changes that occur during attacks and remission, as well as during hypothalamic stimulation.

« Last Edit: Dec 18th, 2008 at 6:54pm by N/A »  

IP Logged

CH-HELL
Ex Member

Reply #31 - Dec 18th, 2008 at 8:58pm

Ray wrote on Dec 17th, 2008 at 8:15pm:
Like a red hot metal bar, dipped in acid, pushing out my right eye...

Ray

i242.photobucket.com/albums/ff287/raymond759/clusterheadachedrawing.jpg

Edited to add CH Demon drawing -- Not mine!

I have a tattoo very similar too this picture.

IP Logged

Layla328
CH.com Hall of Famer

Boston
Reply #32 - Dec 18th, 2008 at 9:21pm

Jeannie,

I'm right with you on that one! 

IP Logged

DonnaH_again
Ex Member

Reply #33 - Dec 18th, 2008 at 9:32pm

That picture of the devil with his fist in the sufferers eye was drawn by one of our members by the name of Fletcher (sp?)  It is copywritten.

Dr. Goadsby has confirmed that the hypothalamus of a ch sufferer is larger than those who don't have ch.  Please use the menu to the left to find articles and archieved threads in regard to it's action and importance in the cause of cluster headache.

My headaches started with a blow torch which got hotter and hotter until it melted my skull on the headache side including my eye, the bone surrounding my eye and nose.

IP Logged

lwkreu
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #34 - Dec 18th, 2008 at 11:51pm

Red hot crowbar thrust in through the base of my skull and scraping the back of my eyeball. Or, amateur brain surgery without anesthesia. Maybe, slow death by being struck in the head by a ball peen hammer for months on end.

IP Logged

lwkreu
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #35 - Dec 18th, 2008 at 11:53pm

Nice visual.

IP Logged

Rolomatic
Ex Member

Reply #36 - Dec 19th, 2008 at 12:11am

lwkreu wrote on Dec 18th, 2008 at 11:51pm:
Red hot crowbar thrust in through the base of my skull and scraping the back of my eyeball. Or, amateur brain surgery without anesthesia. Maybe, slow death by being struck in the head by a ball peen hammer for months on end.

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

Jesus, I start crying just watching it every time I see it! It takes a lot of balls to do a video like that and post it for all to see. Cry

EDIT TOO ADD: For up to an hour at a time whenever the interrogator pleases... Lips Sealed
« Last Edit: Dec 19th, 2008 at 12:52am by N/A »  

IP Logged

gizmo
CH.com Hall of Famer

Germany
Reply #37 - Dec 19th, 2008 at 2:25am

Quote:
Quote:
(the hypothalamus thing is only a theory),

Abnormal grey matter growth in the hypthalamus has been confirmed with PET scans of cluster patients and is not a theory.
the bb

True, but it isn't clear if this is the reason or a symptom.

The hypothalamus theory sounds valid but I yet have to see a proof.
Until then it is only a theory - at least to me.

Oliver
« Last Edit: Dec 19th, 2008 at 2:38am by gizmo »  

IP Logged

George
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

Black-Billed Magpie

Boise, Idaho USA
Reply #38 - Dec 19th, 2008 at 2:52am

A little of this:

And a little of this:

And a little of that:

Best,

George

"Whoever loveth me, loveth my hound."  (Thomas More, author of "Utopia", and Chancellor of England.  1477-1535)
WWW George jacox6820 7165032563  
IP Logged

Jeannie
CH.com Sponsor

Live, Laugh, Love....

St Louis, Missouri
Reply #39 - Dec 19th, 2008 at 10:41am

Quote:
lwkreu wrote on Dec 18th, 2008 at 11:51pm:

Jesus, I start crying just watching it every time I see it! It takes a lot of balls to do a video like that and post it for all to see. Cry

EDIT TOO ADD: For up to an hour at a time whenever the interrogator pleases... Lips Sealed

I too cry when I see Chuck's video.  Then when I read his posts and see what a remarkable attitude he has it moves me even more.  He is an inspiration to me...really you all are, but Chuck especially.  When I compare my battle for just four or six months a year to his daily battle,  I have it really easy.  I am so looking forward to meeting him in Jan!

Jeannie

George,  Ya know how people will sometimes say, " I had a CH once"?

Well... I had a boulder fall on my car like that....once!  LOL!

"It's all a grand illusion when you think you're in control." ~ Kenny Chesney

IP Logged

Layla328
CH.com Hall of Famer

Boston
Reply #40 - Dec 19th, 2008 at 2:31pm

Oliver,

I too believe it is a valid theory.  However, I am curious just what one should infer from this knowledge (abnormal cells in hypothalamus).  How does this specifically cause the cluster headaches? 
In my opinion, and it has become quite a humble one Smiley after being here (probably a good thing) I think that CH bears many unexplored similarities to bipolar illness, for which, to the best of my knowledge that illness is not blamed on abnormal brain structure.  A primary thing that needs to be looked at (again in my very humble opinion) is why the illness is seasonal (so to speak) and in between the person returns to normal functioning (in the majority of cases--believe me I know not all do)--but to uncover what is causing CH that "phenomenon" needs to be looked at VERY carefully.

IP Logged

gizmo
CH.com Hall of Famer

Germany
Reply #41 - Dec 19th, 2008 at 2:48pm

In my opinion clusters are the result of different circumstances one of them being a messed up hypothalamus (leading to wrong timing of hormone disposal and the like).

The hypothalamus would at least explain the seasoning for the episodics.
I'm chronic myself and even in my episodic past I never had clusters bound to seasons - well at least not obvious ones (season in this case isn't necessarily in an annual context).

Side note: I also believe that Cluster Headache as a diagnose itself isn't the whole truth. There are far too many different forms of clusters (which respond or don't respond to different treatments) to be a singular, well defined and distinguished disease.

Oliver

IP Logged

Nyteguardyan
CH.com Junior

Someone pluck out my right
eye please.

Port Republic, Maryland
Reply #42 - Dec 19th, 2008 at 3:05pm

The pain is like a supernova exploding behind my right eye. The white hot fire of the sun compressed into my brain. The pressure on the back of my eye feels equal to the pressure the jaws of life pushing a door away from the frame of a car. Angry

WWW ffemtp22560  
IP Logged

Jeannie
CH.com Sponsor

Live, Laugh, Love....

St Louis, Missouri
Reply #43 - Dec 19th, 2008 at 3:15pm

I wish I could remember where I read this... most likely here somewhere, but I have read that some feel that CH is more like a seizure disorder than a HA disorder.  In our cases we experience pain rather than convulsions.  I thought that this was an interesting concept. 

I personally believe that if my seretonin weren't all messed up, I'd be in good shape.  It seems that most of my medical issues have to do with hormones.   I have had CH since I was ten...  have had issues with depression since I was a teen.... as an adult I was Dxed with Fibromyalgia.  If we could just fix my seretonin... I'd be perfect! Wink

Jeannie

IP Logged

DonnaH_again
Ex Member

Reply #44 - Dec 19th, 2008 at 3:23pm

For those of you doubting "theories", please click and read...........

If you go to our left margin and click on the OUCH button, you are in for a great education about cluster headaches.

IP Logged

Jeannie
CH.com Sponsor

Live, Laugh, Love....

St Louis, Missouri
Reply #45 - Dec 19th, 2008 at 3:45pm

Hey Donna, Thank you for the the info.   I have read SO many times here, that people with CH are not light and sound sensitive.  I was glad to read differently!  I am actually afraid sometimes to admit some of my symptoms for fear of others here thinking that I don't really have CH.  I am so sensitive to sound during a hit that the sound of my husband softly breathing while he sleeps even bothers me.  During a cycle, driving in a car when the sun flickers from behind trees that I am passing will trigger a hit.

I was talking with Jackie and she mentioned that Blake has shadows even when not in cycle.  I do too.  I'm just glad to know that I'm not alone in all my symptoms that don't conform to " classic" CH. 

Thanks again.  BTW, I don't doubt the theories.  I'm so glad that someone out there is taking the time to come up with some!  Someday they'll lead to a cure!

Jeannie

IP Logged

gizmo
CH.com Hall of Famer

Germany
Reply #46 - Dec 19th, 2008 at 3:47pm

Quote:
May et al.: PET and MRA findings in cluster headache and MRA in experimental pain Neurology 2000;55

Using the advanced method of voxel-based morphometry, it has been suggested that there is a correlation between the brain area activated specifically in acute cluster headache--the posterior hypothalamic grey matter--and an increase in grey matter in the same region.

Quote:
Goadsby PJ., Pathophysiology of cluster headache: a trigeminal autonomic cephalgia. Lancet Neurol. (2002)

Observations of circadian biological changes and neuroendocrine disturbances have suggested a pivotal role for the hypothalamus in cluster headache.

"Suggested" doesn't sound like a proof to me.

IP Logged

Rolomatic
Ex Member

Reply #47 - Dec 19th, 2008 at 3:56pm

Donna & Jeannie,

Before I started lithium I was horribly light and sound sensitive. I hid like a vampire in a quiet casket all the time…

Roland. Smiley

IP Logged

UnderTheRadar
CH.com Old Timer

Literally

Texas
Reply #48 - Dec 19th, 2008 at 5:11pm

I have a strong hunch that this has to do with the Affective Spectrum Disorders, of which I have about half...and they are all sometimes treatable with the same meds...but it's gonna be eons before they really understand any of this.

IP Logged

thebbz
Ex Member

Reply #49 - Dec 19th, 2008 at 7:20pm

Quote:
"Suggested" doesn't sound like a proof to me.

If you have something better, bring it to light.
the bb

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!