Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Food List (Read 1258 times)
mathieulives
CH.com Junior

San Francisco, CA
Food List
Dec 13th, 2008 at 11:21pm

I know the basics: alcohol, tobacco, nitrates, nuts, dairy - but is there a comprehensive list of foods to avoid?

Thx. Wink

mathieulives  
IP Logged

Rolomatic
Ex Member

Re: Food List
Reply #1 - Dec 13th, 2008 at 11:55pm

Well I would say tofu would be top on the list. Grin

MSG and strawberries for me.

I started a triggers thread and there are a lot of good responses there.

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

Roland. Wink
« Last Edit: Dec 13th, 2008 at 11:56pm by N/A »  

IP Logged

Guiseppi
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

San Diego to Florida 05-16-2011

SAN DIEGO, CALIFORNIA USA
Reply #2 - Dec 14th, 2008 at 12:57am

Triggers tend to be really individual. Like stress. For some as soon as they relax they get hit, they always try to stay stressed to avoid hits. For me, sustained stress is a trigger! 30 years of these and my only known triggers, while on cycle, are alcohol, getting really really hungry, significant disruptions of my sleep cycles, and sustained stress.

Guiseppi

"Somebody had to say it" is usually a piss poor excuse to be mean.

IP Logged

MJ
CH.com Hall of Famer

x1||USA|usa|299|85|MN
Reply #3 - Dec 14th, 2008 at 1:00am

Tobacco, nuts, dairy are no problem for me. Nitrates are questionable.

Grapefruit and grapefruit juice are a problem for me.

There is no comprehensive food list for CH. what affects one doesnt affect another and the next time what one thought affects them doesnt.
Most of us are pretty certain one thing or another sets us off though.

MJ

IP Logged

MJ
CH.com Hall of Famer

x1||USA|usa|299|85|MN
Reply #4 - Dec 14th, 2008 at 1:03am

Guiseppi wrote on Dec 14th, 2008 at 12:57am:
alcohol, getting really really hungry, significant disruptions of my sleep cycles, .
Guiseppi

That too.

Stress though is a great abortive for me.

MJ

IP Logged

Linda_Howell
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

Do not feed the Moderators

Santa Maria, Ca.
Reply #5 - Dec 14th, 2008 at 1:05am

Chronic for more than 21 years.  Never had any food trigger me.

Hurt people.....hurt people.   Think about it.
WWW calientev8 N/A N/A  
IP Logged

maalstroom
CH.com Old Timer

''Dance to my tune''....
the hell I will!

the Netherlands
Reply #6 - Dec 14th, 2008 at 4:42pm

As Guiseppi said, triggers seem very individual and there is no set standard.
I hear a lot about cheese and MSG being major triggers, but neither cheese nor for instance Chinese foods have ever brought forth or worsened a hit for me.
I can tell you however which are certain to me, maybe it is of any help for you: Lebanese, Israelian, Egyptian, Turkish such as Döner Kebab, Shoarma, Gyros and many many more of those otherwise wonderful dishes (I loves me some Middle Eastern food).

Besides food there is strong odours as dissolvents/perfumes/deodorants, any alcohol, daylight/sun. But those are mine, shouldn't mean they are yours too.
Try to find out which are, and maybe post it here so someone else might be helped.

PF to you, Pascal.

...AND AS A FINISHING TOUCH, GOD CREATED THE DUTCH.

IP Logged

WilliamMurderface
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Raleigh, NC
Reply #7 - Jan 1st, 2009 at 12:53am

Hey, MSG in Chinese food definitely did it for me. HOWEVER, not all Chinese resturants use MSG in their food, so perhaps you had Chinese Food from a resturant that didn't use it. I've been able to ask resturants if they use it in their food and in most cases they know exactly what I'm talking about. 

Oh one other thing, it's not just Chinese food, you just have to ask around.  My last cluster was in May of 2008 and it wasn't until I went to my doctor and told him that I always got a headache after eating Chinese Food from this one resturant and he immediately yelled MSG!!!  So I cut out MSG (or high doses of it) and I've been fine since.  Let me know if monitoring your MSG intake give you any luck.

Will
WilliamMurderface WilliamMurderface  
IP Logged

Ungweliante
CH.com Veteran

Happiness comes from personal
choice \o/

Helsinki, Finland
Reply #8 - Jan 1st, 2009 at 10:15am

The best way to find out your food triggers, if there are any, is to eat normally and keep a headache/diet diary. If you're constantly afraid that some kind of food might bring about an attack, that stress might contribute to you getting an attack.

Like it has been said before, food triggers are very specific for each one of us. The migraine food list is very unnecessarily restrictive and it's pointless to avoid all of those, in my opinion.

- Best regards,
Rosa

IP Logged

GrandPotentate
CH.com Old Timer

mmmmmmmmmm

Michigan City, IN  USA
Reply #9 - Jan 1st, 2009 at 11:23pm

I think triggers are overrated.  They don't CAUSE a hit for me, but perhaps bring it on sooner.  But how can you really tell, eh?

Chinese food seems to be a stressor for me.

So do a few beers, especially if imbibed at a noisy, smoky bar.

Coffee seems to be an postponer, and will usually get me through a workday.  It is not unusual to get a hit as the caffiene wears off, but I'm home and can deal with the beast.

Jon

Jon

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!