Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Finally had the letter detailing treatment. (Read 670 times)
Katie
CH.com Junior

I just get 'those' headaches.

England
Finally had the letter detailing treatment.
Dec 4th, 2008 at 11:17am

The copy of the letter sent to my GP arrived this morning from the neurologist as promised.

He did not mince his words about the previous drugs used being inadequate. He also provided an explanation that I have two primary headache disorders not the one the GP was treating just as migraine.  Smiley It has only taken over 20 years to get the correct second diaognosis for the other headache.

For the migraines that occur all year round I start with  Atenolol, if that fails Tomiramate and then add in amaltriptyline.
The actual attacks rizatriptain, solphadeine or diclofenac depending on how the pain feels, and domperidone.
I have to wait another week for I can start the new drugs, as I keep getting 'ice picks' that last for five minutes round my eye I think the ideal four weeks wait before starting new drugs might not happen. Rizatriptain should not be eaten like smarties. I have remembered why I agreed to try Epilim and gabapentin, I have not missed the short ice picks, they really hurt. Smiley

For the clusters as soon as they start I have an urgent appointment at the hospital A&E where the neurology clinic is based and they plan to hit yon beastie with verapamil and predisolene and treat with intramuscular sumitriptain and high flow oxygen [Hallo UK HOOF forms] with instructions to the GP he is to prescribe.

After reading that little lot I am so glad I bought a UK NHS one year pre-paid prescription certificate and I think this time I will go back and see the newer GP who twigged I did have more than migraine as he was the one who went through all my notes, clocked how dreadful I looked and made the urgent referral to the neurologist I had been asking for for five weeks! I hope going through that GP I do not have to fight for the first lot of drugs.

I also have a follow up appointment with the headache clinic to monitor rather than solely back under the GP so I think this may finally be a good result.  Wink

Pain is no evil unless it conquers us.  

IP Logged

Guiseppi
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

San Diego to Florida 05-16-2011

SAN DIEGO, CALIFORNIA USA
Re: Finally had the letter detailing treatment.
Reply #1 - Dec 4th, 2008 at 11:38am

WOW! Sorry to hear you'r carrying that much luggage, but damned glad you found a neuro willing and educated enough to help you! Hoping the 02 works as well for you as it has for me. Remember, the faster you get on the 02, the faster the headache can be aborted. A delay of even a few minutes will substantially increase the abort time for me.

Wishing you some pain free time soon.

Guiseppi

"Somebody had to say it" is usually a piss poor excuse to be mean.

IP Logged

Just Plain Carl
CH.com Old Timer

IT IS WHAT IT IS

Royal Oak, Michigan
Re: Finally had the letter detailing treatment.
Reply #2 - Dec 4th, 2008 at 11:40am

Jeez,  it just shouldn't be this difficult to get proper treatment.

Best of PF luck
                            JPC

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!