Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Pages: 1 ... 13 14 15 16 17 ... 19
Send Topic Print
WHY don't we pay attention to this? (Read 135628 times)
dereksgirl
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

WA
Re: WHY don't we pay attention to this?
Reply #350 - Mar 26th, 2011 at 12:09am

so dang wonderfully VERY happy for you Paul!  Hoping for you stay PF!! Thanks again for sharing this important option for all of us dealing with CH.
-DG

Words can not express the gratitude I have for all of you who have, in the midst of such great pain, reached out and helped so many...

IP Logged

Dreamofire
CH.com Newbie

MMMMMGGGGRRRRRRRRR!!
!!!!!!!!!!!

Kearney, Missouri
Reply #351 - Mar 28th, 2011 at 11:55am

This could be very promising news for me. But I dont want to get my hopes up.   I had my T levels checked probably six months ago because I have lost almost all of my sex drive and have been extremly fatigued. They came back within normal ranges.  But from what I have been reading here even  people with normal levels are trying this and getting some results.  I hope I can talk my Dr. into giving this a whirl. He hasnt been willing so far to be very agressive with treatment. Maybe I'll find a new one. God knows the only thing my other meds are doing is making me a walking Zombie with wicked headaches lol.

I'll Post my results when I get them I meet with the doc tomorrow morning.

Prayers and PFD's to all.

Sean

idreamofire  
IP Logged

dereksgirl
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

WA
Reply #352 - Mar 28th, 2011 at 2:20pm

Good Luck Sean! From what I understand there are some definate "risks" involved so maybe a little caution on the Doc's side is good? I wonder if you were able to find out your exact levels? Sometimes there is a pretty wide range of what is considered  "normal". Could you be in the "normal" range, but on the very low side of the scale? Worth asking if your not sure.

Hoping you find some relief!
DG

Words can not express the gratitude I have for all of you who have, in the midst of such great pain, reached out and helped so many...

IP Logged

Dreamofire
CH.com Newbie

MMMMMGGGGRRRRRRRRR!!
!!!!!!!!!!!

Kearney, Missouri
Reply #353 - Mar 28th, 2011 at 6:16pm

Yeah I know there are "risks"  but there are risks with everything else I've tried up until now.  It's like I have two people on my shoulders. Reason and desperation.  Can you guess which voice is louder?  Hell reason might as well be a mute at this point lol.  I will discuss it with the doc. I am episodic albeit they are long episodes but long periods of remission too.  hopefully I would only need to be on this for a limited amount of time.

Sean

idreamofire  
IP Logged

Dreamofire
CH.com Newbie

MMMMMGGGGRRRRRRRRR!!
!!!!!!!!!!!

Kearney, Missouri
Reply #354 - Mar 29th, 2011 at 11:59am

So my attempt to get the doc on board with this this morning went down in flames.  Especially the clomiphene.  He said even if my lab result were astronomically low he would not go for this option.... that didn't bother me so much as he didn't really consider any of the options open for discussion.  He did reluctantly order the tests though should have the results on the 4th.  Maybe I can take them and run to another more open minded Dr.  I am also going to try some other things this week as the beast seems to be breaking through the prednisone.

I really hope they are low like so many others.  Not sure what i'm going to do if they are normal then I won't have anything to point the finger at.   

idreamofire  
IP Logged

Dreamofire
CH.com Newbie

MMMMMGGGGRRRRRRRRR!!
!!!!!!!!!!!

Kearney, Missouri
Reply #355 - Mar 29th, 2011 at 5:21pm

Better news.... I saw my neuro today and he is all sorts of into this.  He said he had never hear of it and really wanted to look into it.   Grin

idreamofire  
IP Logged

MITYRARE
CH.com Old Timer

autocross racer

Ontario, Canada
Reply #356 - Mar 29th, 2011 at 11:17pm

Dreamofire wrote on Mar 29th, 2011 at 5:21pm:
Better news.... I saw my neuro today and he is all sorts of into this.  He said he had never hear of it and really wanted to look into it.   Grin

Great!    here are some links to print and take to the doc.
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

best of luck

Paul

Paul
"car crazy"

IP Logged

Dreamofire
CH.com Newbie

MMMMMGGGGRRRRRRRRR!!
!!!!!!!!!!!

Kearney, Missouri
Reply #357 - Mar 30th, 2011 at 9:59am

I went prepared.  I had about a hundred pages of studies and articles and your own testimonial on this.  I told him there has to be something to this.

I had my T checked about 6 months ago because I am 25 years old and was constantly fatigued and had lost my sex drive completely they just told me everything was within normal limits and I chalked it up stress because at the time I was in remission.

I'm wondering if maybe this was a warning that I was about to begin my cycle?

I have some more questions that I thought of after receiving a PM last night.

No one is sure about the long term effect of HRT in any form.  I am considered to be episodic though my cycle have lasted years on end.

I am wonder if HRT is something that has to be continued when in remission or if it can be backed off once the ECH'rs hit a period of remission?

The same question goes for Clomiphene.  I have been doing a lot of research in the last couple of weeks and so far in trials for men there are virtually no side effect when taking this drug as directed.  for this condition. There have been reports of body builders over using this drug after an anabolic period to reduce T crash and the only thing they report is blurred vision.  Those of you that are on this, what have your experiences been like? Risks Vs Benefits

I am open to any treatment.  I think that this needs to be looked into closer by our neuro's because it certainly seem like a better option than ablation  and GK and deep brain stimulus.  Any thoughts?   

Women however are a different story and have a much longer list of side effects in long term usage. so that sucks.

I'll quit rambling now

idreamofire  
IP Logged

alleyoop
CH.com Hall of Famer

Am I self-centered or
is it just me?

Hiawassee, GA USA
Reply #358 - Mar 30th, 2011 at 8:05pm

Sean,

Did your doc agree to run your questions by Dr Rozen?  I can't think of a better source for info on clomiphene.  Maybe someone can answer about the gel.  I have zero experience with that.

I do however, have two and a half years experience taking clomiphene daily.  The only possible side that I can think of is a possible loss of sex drive. That at least, is all that I have noticed.  But I can't say that it was definitively from the clomiphene.  I also take 480mg of verap daily, which could be the culprit.  And then again, it may just be from aging (I'm 62).  Wink

All the best with finding the answers to your questions Sean, and fire away if you have any other questions about clomiphene.

bobb

I know that the Good Lord won't put any more on you than you can stand, but sometimes I wish He weren't quite so PROUD of ME!
alleyoop_49  
IP Logged

Dreamofire
CH.com Newbie

MMMMMGGGGRRRRRRRRR!!
!!!!!!!!!!!

Kearney, Missouri
Reply #359 - Apr 1st, 2011 at 4:43pm

He did,  My results came back today though and I am definatly not running low on T so back to the drawing board for me it looks like.

idreamofire  
IP Logged

alleyoop
CH.com Hall of Famer

Am I self-centered or
is it just me?

Hiawassee, GA USA
Reply #360 - Apr 6th, 2011 at 10:41am

Just thought this may be of interest...

"Researchers Find Sperm Counts On The Decline"

I know that the Good Lord won't put any more on you than you can stand, but sometimes I wish He weren't quite so PROUD of ME!
alleyoop_49  
IP Logged

MrHorse
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #361 - Apr 15th, 2011 at 2:07pm

I'm 28 and was recently (last year) found to have seriously low testosterone (<3.0)

My wife was also pretty stoked when she read some of these, but having been down a long route, it looks like it could be a pituitary tumour, but...

Testosterone levels have been improving since discontinuing Verapamil...and some of us have read the studies about verapamil & hyperprolactinaemia.

It's easy for us to chase answers to CH pain .....I pray every day for relief... but in this case for me the Reandron injections have had no effect on my clusters, since ceasing verapamil my clusters are worse (it's why I'm back, with no post count as i've forgotten my old name) and I fear a CH treatment may have caused the problem that people are seeking to measure.

Sorry for waffling so badly, I just wanted to throw up that for me, the CH med has probably caused the 'indication that something is out of whack which could explain the clusters', which was previously fine.

hopefully someone here will have low testosterone + a reandron shot will give them awesome relief from clusters forever.

God bless,

John.

IP Logged

Dan153
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #362 - Apr 25th, 2011 at 2:21pm

take shrooms or LSD.  If it is episodic either of these help greatly.  It completely aborted my last episode for a year.  Yes it's illegal, and yes it's the only way.  So for the greater good... fuck the law on this one.

IP Logged

Donna.m.har
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Gainesville, Florida
Reply #363 - Apr 28th, 2011 at 12:28pm

Hi.....I just stopped by to see what's been happening and have read the comments on "normal" testosterone levels.

I've seen several posts within this entire thread showing figures, but the quote below, from Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register reiterates what has been said here and in other peer reviewed papers:

"Normal levels of testosterone fall between 250 and 800 nanograms of testosterone per deciliter of blood. Levels in the same man vary according to time of day, season and exercise; therefore, your doctor must conduct an entire physical examination to determine whether or not you are suffering from the disorder."

One test alone will not give you a precise answer as to what your level is.  It must be done more than once in one month as the level fluctuates greatly in some men.

I'm quite sure Paul will be looking in from time to time and will share his knowledge with you.

I still don't understand why more people do not undergo testing.  What's the hold up?  Lack of insurance?  Lack of awareness?  Thousands of people have read this thread without delving into it. Why..............?   Huh

Donna GurinHar  
IP Logged

nhs
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

Reply #364 - Apr 28th, 2011 at 4:21pm

Hi

It seems that vitamin-D3 supplementation might increase testosterone levels.

Best Niels

IP Logged

MITYRARE
CH.com Old Timer

autocross racer

Ontario, Canada
Reply #365 - Apr 28th, 2011 at 10:31pm

Donna.m.har wrote on Apr 28th, 2011 at 12:28pm:
Hi.....I just stopped by to see what's been happening and have read the comments on "normal" testosterone levels.

I've seen several posts within this entire thread showing figures, but the quote below, from Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register reiterates what has been said here and in other peer reviewed papers:

"Normal levels of testosterone fall between 250 and 800 nanograms of testosterone per deciliter of blood. Levels in the same man vary according to time of day, season and exercise; therefore, your doctor must conduct an entire physical examination to determine whether or not you are suffering from the disorder."

One test alone will not give you a precise answer as to what your level is.  It must be done more than once in one month as the level fluctuates greatly in some men.

I'm quite sure Paul will be looking in from time to time and will share his knowledge with you.

I still don't understand why more people do not undergo testing.  What's the hold up?  Lack of insurance?  Lack of awareness?  Thousands of people have read this thread without delving into it. Why..............?   Huh

Hi Donna...glad you check in. Sorry to report very few takers willing to try this approach.

I have stated before that my testosterone levels are perfectly normal except when I was in cycle and it dropped off the bottom of the charts...so yes...more than one test needs to be done to establish whether a deficiency when in cycle is evident..

....the change between "in" and "out" of cycle may be more important than the actual numbers....going from a high normal to a low normal could be the pituitary/hypothalamus "stress" that triggers the cycle...no one seems to know for sure.

And I hear you Donna, that
it is mind blowing that more don't check this route out
as I know of several here in Canada (free testing, and free doctor visits) that are experiencing complete remission with hormone supplementation therapy...

...I really don't see a downside when comparing the hormone therapy to the daily suffering I endured for all those years...

...I don't believe my pain was worse than others here experience...but the pain certainly got me to the doc to try hormone therapy as soon as I read your (this) thread....
best decision of my life

If i had no free doc visits and free tests I would collect soda cans and save the proceeds so that i could be tested....to get relief i would leave no stone unturned and I especially would not discount a tried and proven therapy for many sufferers...no different than trying and using oxygen....you got to take action to find the right therapy for yourself.

I am so frustrated that more don't take their health into their own hands and try EVERY POSSIBLE THERAPY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thank you Donna

Paul

Paul
"car crazy"

IP Logged

akage
CH.com Junior

Reply #366 - May 12th, 2011 at 2:48am

How much testosterone do you take daily using Androgel? I've been taking 50mg (5 g) after shower for the last 5 days and haven't seen much of a difference unfortunately. I'm getting hit pretty regularly 2-4 hours later (though it was also happening before application), so maybe that's the problem as I sweat a lot during attacks and maybe the gel goes off with it.
Before the treatment my total testosterone level was 260 with the standard range of 250-1100, while the free testosterone was 75 with the range of 35 - 155.

IP Logged

MITYRARE
CH.com Old Timer

autocross racer

Ontario, Canada
Reply #367 - May 12th, 2011 at 3:18pm

akage wrote on May 12th, 2011 at 2:48am:
How much testosterone do you take daily using Androgel? I've been taking 50mg (5 g) after shower for the last 5 days and haven't seen much of a difference unfortunately. I'm getting hit pretty regularly 2-4 hours later (though it was also happening before application), so maybe that's the problem as I sweat a lot during attacks and maybe the gel goes off with it.
Before the treatment my total testosterone level was 260 with the standard range of 250-1100, while the free testosterone was 75 with the range of 35 - 155.

Great you are giving it a shot!

If you apply it right after a shower, your skin is "full" of water so very little gel will be absorbed.... wait an hour after a shower before application for best absorption but if you are expecting a "sweaty" hit within 5 hours you will undoubtably lose some of the effect as it takes a full five hours to readily absorb into the blood stream.

Work on the timing of application to when your skin is at its driest for the longest period of time to maximize absorption.

It took me two weeks of "proper" absorption use to see results begin and then for me the results turned positive quite quickly...for others, it was just a noticeable reduction but not remission , and others no effect...such is the way of the beast.

Best of luck...give it a good shot for a month and if no significant response then its probably best to move on to try another method.

I will cross my fingers for you and please report back your experience in this thread.

I am religious in my application times... only on dry skin and only when that skin will remain dry for 5 hours and only when I can avoid skin on skin contact with the opposite sex during that five hour absorption...gotta keep the Mrs. away from Androgel Smiley

Thanks

Paul

Paul
"car crazy"

IP Logged

akage
CH.com Junior

Reply #368 - May 12th, 2011 at 5:47pm

Thanks for the tips, Paul. I'll switch to applying the gel in the afternoon when I'm not getting hit that often.

IP Logged

DennisM1045
CH.com Alumnus

One wave at a time!

Haverhill, Massachusetts, USA
Reply #369 - May 19th, 2011 at 1:02pm

Just checking in... HRT is still working well for me. 

The only time I get any symptoms is if I miss or miss-time my applications for two days out of the week.  Then it's a day or two of shadows and then everything is right again.  What can I say, sometimes life gets in the way.

Can't say enough about this route.  Get tested!  If you have low T, HRT might be your savior too.

-Dennis-

Where there is life, there is hope.
Where there is Oxygen, you must use proper caution.
So be safe, don't smoke while using O2. Kill the pain and not yourself.
dennism1045 dennism1045 524417261 DennisM1045 DennisM1045  
IP Logged

Callico
CH.com Hall of Famer

Author of "Stranded at
Romson's Lodge

Aurora IL
Reply #370 - May 21st, 2011 at 11:30pm

Dennis, you have no idea how good that sounds!  I am so glad for you!
jerry

"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of dung by the clean end." Texas A&M Student (unknown)
Jerry Callison  
IP Logged

MITYRARE
CH.com Old Timer

autocross racer

Ontario, Canada
Reply #371 - May 23rd, 2011 at 7:01pm

That's great Dennis... glad its holding well for you.

Paul

Paul
"car crazy"

IP Logged

Donna.m.har
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Gainesville, Florida
Reply #372 - Jun 29th, 2011 at 8:48am

Wow, Dennis.  That really says something about the validity of this treatment in your case.  I am so happy for you and for those who this has seemingly worked for.

Donna GurinHar  
IP Logged

MITYRARE
CH.com Old Timer

autocross racer

Ontario, Canada
Reply #373 - Jul 16th, 2011 at 11:53pm

I'm still holding well:)

I've been referred to an endrocrinologist for a complete hormone workup (even some of the oddball hormones we dont hear much about)

I'm looking forward to finding out more about the hormone/cluster headache connection.

In the past 14 months I have been working on ME... i've been under the control of a personal trainer that comes to my home gym 3 times per week. My strength has improved tremendously... I suppose the Androgel gives a little edge  haha
Currently age 52, doing deadlifts of 320 pounds and backsquats at 275 (i dont do heavy weight bench presses as a very old shoulder injury prevents me from doing so)

Feeling so good and so happy.

Paul
« Last Edit: Jul 16th, 2011 at 11:55pm by MITYRARE »  

Paul
"car crazy"

IP Logged

Callico
CH.com Hall of Famer

Author of "Stranded at
Romson's Lodge

Aurora IL
Reply #374 - Jul 23rd, 2011 at 10:45pm

Grin  That's the biggest smile I could find!  I am so glad for you and Dennis and others it has worked so well for.  Started great for me, but. . .  By NO means does that mean I'm not behind this therapy!  It worked for me for several months, and that is several months I would not have gotten.  It still works intermittently, and I'm trying to figure out what the difference is. 

Jerry

"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of dung by the clean end." Texas A&M Student (unknown)
Jerry Callison  
IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 13 14 15 16 17 ... 19
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!