Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Clusters only upon season change and red bull (Read 2262 times)
shaktima
CH.com Newbie

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

x0|Phoenix|USA||0|0|AZ,Arizona
Clusters only upon season change and red bull
Dec 2nd, 2008 at 12:25am

Hi all:
I have been a chronic cluster sufferer for over 12 years now.  They always come at the onset of summer (high heat) and the onset of winter (less light, cold temps).  I do not know why, maybe someone here can tell me, but I found that drinking a red bull as fast as I can upon initiation of cluster headache (I know when it is coming on believe me, and I panic) and maybe taking 2 Excedrin Migraine can abort the headache within 20 minutes!  I tend to belive it is the Red Bull helping more than the Excedrin.  I have been on Imitrex, Amerge, Relpax, you name it and they are so expensive, so WHY does Red Bull work so well for me??? I slug it down as fast as I can and it works as fast or even better than the EXPENSIVE abortive medications!  What do you call one like me who only goes thru agony every spring and winter?  Is it really the season change?  Is my brain retarded or what?  I can tell you I dread going to sleep during those episodes, cuz as soon as I get into regenerative (deep_ sleep, they alwys wake me up in middle of night with pain so bad, I just want to die!  All I can think of is ice for that burning horrendous pain and of course Red Bull, which I keep now in my fridge all the time, at least 2 four-packs.  So why does this seemingly innocent beverage work so well?  I am under the opinion that doctors just do not understand the horrific implications of cluster headaches, that's why I have not seen one in over 12 years. I have had it w/ prednisone, Lithium, yada yada yada and now I find that a benign, drink from supermarket aborts them?!?!??! Hopefully it will keep on doing so.  My brain is now in a "rest period" thank God, but I know, come spring and the onset of a new season change, I will be on my knees, begging to gods to just let me die (the pain, oh the pain) it reminds me when not in pain, just how good I have it!  Why do some of us have these horrible clusters, yet others do not have it? Have we such bad karma that we have to feel our eyeballs being ripped out, burning hot pain in our face ect? Well I must go as I am indeed enjoying sleeping deeply without the MONSTER visiting me, (at least for another 5-6 months) .   god bless all of you who are suffering this horrible monster.  A headache?  Hell no, it is a pain beyond words can explain.   I will say though, it sure gives one perspective.
Luv,
cathy Roll Eyes

IP Logged

brian
CH.com Junior

I Love CH.com!

Re: Clusters only upon season change and red bull
Reply #1 - Dec 2nd, 2008 at 3:02am

Seratonin is released by cyclical hormonal activity, and is linked to CH, which relates to periodicity of cycles and individual attacks. Also in REM sleep seratonin levels drop and that is why often people get headaches shortly after going to sleep.

Taurine acts on the thalamus, like clusters.

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

I also read in a recent post which I unfortunately can't find that taurine somehow inhibits NO which is significant considering the following...

Pharmacol Ther. 2008 Aug 23. [Epub ahead of print]
The role of nitric oxide (NO) in migraine, tension-type headache and cluster headache.

Olesen J.

University of Copenhagen, Department of Neurology, Glostrup Hospital, Ndr. Ringvej 57, DK - 2600 Glostrup, Copenhagen, Denmark.

The most important primary headaches (i.e. independent disorders that are not caused by another disease) are migraine, tension-type headache and cluster headache. All primary headaches are in need of better treatments. Migraine has a prevalence of 10% in the general population and its societal costs are high. Although the precise mechanisms underlying the pathophysiology of migraine are still elusive, the last decades have witnessed some progress (e.g. involvement of serotonin, calcitonin gene-related peptide, nitric oxide, etc). Nitric oxide (NO) is a very important molecule in the regulation of cerebral and extra cerebral cranial blood flow and arterial diameters. It is also involved in nociceptive processing. Glyceryl trinitrate (GTN), a pro-drug for NO, causes headache in normal volunteers and a so called delayed headache that fulfils criteria for migraine without aura in migraine sufferers. Blockade of nitric oxide synthases (NOS) by L-NMMA effectively treats attacks of migraine without aura. Similar results have been obtained for chronic tension-type headache and cluster headache. Inhibition of the breakdown of cGMP also provokes migraine in sufferers, indicating that cGMP is the effector of NO-induced migraine. Several relationships exist between NO, calcitonin gene-related peptide and other molecules important in migraine. Also ion channels, particularly the K(ATP) channels, are important for the action of NO.

IN CONCLUSION, INHIBITION OF NO PRODUCTION OR BLOCKADE OF STEPS IN THE NO-CGMP PATHWAY OR SCAVENGING OF NO MAY BE TARGETS FOR NEW DRUGS FOR TREATING MIGRAINE AND OTHER HEADACHES. INDEED, SELECTIVE N-NOS AND I-NOS INHIBITORS ARE ALREADY IN EARLY CLINICAL DEVELOPMENT.

PMID: 18789357 [PubMed]

I would recommend you quit the excedrin, it eats your insides AND has no application for CH.  Cool deal that you got a good abortive.  Sounds like you've tried a bunch of pharmaceutical preventives, have you  looked into any alternative treatments? 

There are a few different non-pharmaceutical approaches that some people have had real success with.  These include psilocybin (magic mushrooms), LSA (RC seeds), and LSD, as well as various homeopathic supplement type remedies like magnesium, Kudzu, B-2, skullcap, etc. 

One or a combination of these may be able to help you reduce the frequency and/or intensity of your attacks now that you've got a dependable abortive.  Some people have even been able to skip whole cycles using alternative methods.

Also, you should definitely try oxygen if you haven't yet, or even if you have.  It is a highly effective and very cheap abortive that your insurance should cover and could save you some bucks on red bull (plus all that caffeine can't be too good for ya).

Good luck and enjoy the pain free days!

IP Logged

BarbaraD
CH.com Alumnus

Hugs to ya

Douglasville, TX
Reply #2 - Dec 2nd, 2008 at 6:37am

The Red Bull contains taurine and that seems to stop the CH in it's tracks for some reason.

O2 is the lifesaver for about 70% of us. You might try seeing a doc and getting a script for it. You'll need at least a 15-25liter regulator with a non-rebreather mask.

Melatonin at night before bedtime (12-15mg) helps get thru the REM sleep (where the headaches hit).

Be careful with the Excedrin - they'll cause rebounds and those are bad news.

And the word is "eposidic" for your CH. A lot on here get them twice a year. Some get them every couple of years. Some of us are chronic and just keep them year round. Enjoy your pain free time. Maybe the beast will skip the next episode.

Hugs BD

What don't kill ya, Makes ya stronger!

IP Logged

Guiseppi
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

San Diego to Florida 05-16-2011

SAN DIEGO, CALIFORNIA USA
Reply #3 - Dec 2nd, 2008 at 10:45am

Welcome to the board, yeah, we understand, the damn things hurt! Many have discovered the "miracle" of energy drinks. Some keep open cans of them in the fridge while they're on cycle, so they lose their fizz and they can slam them down even faster.

Another vote for oxygen here. Breathing pure oxygen will abort an attack in as little as 6 minutes for me. Go the the medications board and read Chucks post "oxygen terms explained" Complete with color pics to show you how to set up and use the 02. If you're part of the lucky majority that 02 is effective for, you'll be AMAZED  at how fast you can beat the beast down.

Melatonin is an over the counter supplement available at health and vitamin stores. Start at 6 mg half an hour before bed time. Some go as high as 12 mg to get relief. Many can avoide those deep sleep attacks that way.

Welcom home brother, glad you found us!!

Guiseppi

"Somebody had to say it" is usually a piss poor excuse to be mean.

IP Logged

Jimi
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

Don't feed the moderators

Madisonville, KY
Reply #4 - Dec 2nd, 2008 at 10:58am

It's sister. Roll Eyes

I am convinced that life is 10% what happens to me and 90% how I react to it.
http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/ Hendrix1473  
IP Logged

Guiseppi
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

San Diego to Florida 05-16-2011

SAN DIEGO, CALIFORNIA USA
Reply #5 - Dec 2nd, 2008 at 12:01pm

It's sister. 

Which will teach me to read posts without my old man glasses Embarrassed

Guiseppi

"Somebody had to say it" is usually a piss poor excuse to be mean.

IP Logged

-johnny-
CH.com Sponsor

theres no smoking on the
dock

fayette county ohio
Reply #6 - Dec 2nd, 2008 at 2:37pm

cathy i noticed you live in pheonix. i live in ohio. my cycles are spread out over 3 or 4 years. i've noticed that my cycles will start in the summer when i'm in air conditioning or in the winter with the wood burning stove. maybe the extreme dry air is a trigger. one thing i've noticed about winter is i can be outside for a while and feel fine and go inside to the dry air and get hit within 20 minutes. you may want tp concider using so type of humidifier in your living space or maybe sitting in front of a vaporizer. just a thought.

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

IP Logged

-johnny-
CH.com Sponsor

theres no smoking on the
dock

fayette county ohio
Reply #7 - Dec 2nd, 2008 at 2:47pm

oh, one thing you can try during an attack is breathing through a cold wet rag or hand towel. sometimes a steamy shower works. the key word is moisture. dry air is a surefire trigger for me.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!