Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Thanks to all who have offered advice and help (Read 1374 times)
jberzins
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Thanks to all who have offered advice and help
Dec 1st, 2008 at 1:23pm

I know this has probably been stated many times before. However, I feel the need to thank those on this message board. I like all of you probably thought at one point that I was crazy. When you tell the doc, um well I took 7 Demerol and it didn’t do a damn thing. Finally a few years ago a friend of mine gave me a maxalt, which was a godsend. I finally went to the neurologist, because no one else would prescribe as many of them as I seemed to need. I have a very opened minded neurologist, however, he like many don't know all that much about clusters. I think one of his comments was, “I hear they can be pretty bad". Anyway, long story to say. Because of the info I have gotten here I was able to go in with some confidence on my last appointment. I was able to convince him to bump up the amount of oxygen from 8mlp to 15mlp. I also was able to bump up the verapamil. If it had not been for your suggestions, I fear I would still be just as lost. I remember when I saw the third story on the opening page, about the late night ritual. I seriously began to tear up, finally somebody actually new what it felt like. So, in my long winded way, Thank all of you and bless you, they haven’t gone completely away, but I see some hope for battling them.

IP Logged

Garys_Girl
CH.com Hall of Famer

Making biscuits

Planet Cat, NJ
Re: Thanks to all who have offered advice and help
Reply #1 - Dec 1st, 2008 at 5:54pm

I remember writing something similar when we first found the boards!  It is AMAZING to have so much information available - very empowering!  Most importantly - you are no longer alone.  Smiley

Laurie

This is enough already
IP Logged

Guiseppi
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

San Diego to Florida 05-16-2011

SAN DIEGO, CALIFORNIA USA
Reply #2 - Dec 1st, 2008 at 6:39pm

That's why we say, sitting in front of your doc and saying "fix me" is a recipe for a boat load of pain!  Knowledge is our most pwerful weapon in dealing with the beast. I'm so glad to hear you've found something on the board that helps you. Now stick around and help the other newbies who show up here lost and scared. I like your style, you'd be a valuable asset to newbies and old timers alike!

Guiseppi

"Somebody had to say it" is usually a piss poor excuse to be mean.

IP Logged

on my knees
Ex Member

Reply #3 - Dec 1st, 2008 at 8:18pm

there is nothing wrong with going to the dr appt empowered over your own health care.  no more white coat syndrome.
however going in to an appt thinking you know it all is also a recipe for problems.
there is a balance.

IP Logged

coach_bill
CH.com Hall of Famer

"Dont expect me to lay
down for this"

x0|euclid|USA||0|0|OH,Ohio
Reply #4 - Dec 1st, 2008 at 8:57pm

Good work.. way to take it to your doctor. You told him what you wanted and needed and he responded. By the way im glad max-alt works for you, It never worked for me, your on the right track with your 02. Good luck.. Coach Bill

boy i cant wait till it's my turn to give him a headache. paybacks a bitch
IP Logged

BarbaraD
CH.com Alumnus

Hugs to ya

Douglasville, TX
Reply #5 - Dec 2nd, 2008 at 6:50am

Way to go. Stories like yours does my heart good. It makes me remember why we're all here.

I'm with Joe -- stick around and help someone else now that you know it works...  Pay it Forward.

Hugs BD

What don't kill ya, Makes ya stronger!

IP Logged

jberzins
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #6 - Dec 2nd, 2008 at 8:39am

Quote:
there is nothing wrong with going to the dr appt empowered over your own health care.  no more white coat syndrome.
however going in to an appt thinking you know it all is also a recipe for problems.
there is a balance.

Understood completely. I simply meant that until recently I just accepted anything he said, even though he, by his own admission is not that familiar with ch. Now at least I am able to suggest some options that people on the board have mentioned.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!