Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Depression after an episode? (Read 2232 times)
UnderTheRadar
CH.com Old Timer

Literally

Texas
Depression after an episode?
Nov 25th, 2008 at 11:11am

Hi all...I'm new to the site and to my cluster diagnosis.  I'll take time to introduce myself properly later...but for now, have many of you experienced severe depression after finally getting over an episode?  It's been 6 months and now that it's gone I just don't even want to get out of bed and I cry every day.  Normal?  Embarrassed

Remember- double-line the foil, shiny side out.

IP Logged

seasonalboomer
CH.com Hall of Famer

CH messes with my isness

Charlotte, NC
Re: Depression after an episode?
Reply #1 - Nov 25th, 2008 at 11:22am

I wouldn't say that your experience is common with respect to the lasting depression, but various levels of depression are extremely common among sufferers. As could be expected. As to the chemical ties to that, with Seratonin levels and such I'll let someone else discuss.

From my own experience, I have had episodes of depression associated with my CH. Sometimes just before a cycle, sometimes at the start of a cycle, and yes, of course, during. I'm usually so relieved that it is over that I don't spend much time with the blues - but that has come from years experience of anticipating all that I'm going to do once the damn cycle is done.

Scott

IP Logged

artonio7
Ex Member

Reply #2 - Nov 25th, 2008 at 12:24pm

UnderTheRadar wrote on Nov 25th, 2008 at 11:11am:
Hi all...I'm new to the site and to my cluster diagnosis.  I'll take time to introduce myself properly later...but for now, have many of you experienced severe depression after finally getting over an episode?  It's been 6 months and now that it's gone I just don't even want to get out of bed and I cry every day.  Normal?  Embarrassed

Nice to meet you and welcome to CH.com...

Yes... I'm chronic and I suffer from depression often. I suffered from depression prior to developing CH as well.

Stick around and get to know the nice folks here.

with warm regards,
Tony

IP Logged

DennisM1045
CH.com Alumnus

One wave at a time!

Haverhill, Massachusetts, USA
Reply #3 - Nov 25th, 2008 at 12:33pm

Welcome to clusterville.  Please do take some time to introduce yourself.  We'd like to get to know you.

I get down when I feel a cycle coming on and certainly during my cycle but not after.  Like Scott said, I'm just so glad it's over.

You are no longer alone with this.

I hope you are seeing a Doctor for the depression.  It's ok to reach out for help.  Clusters take a huge toll and a message board can only do so much. 

-Dennis-

Where there is life, there is hope.
Where there is Oxygen, you must use proper caution.
So be safe, don't smoke while using O2. Kill the pain and not yourself.
dennism1045 dennism1045 524417261 DennisM1045 DennisM1045  
IP Logged

Racer1_NC
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

"Well, let's go see."

Lewisville, NC
Reply #4 - Nov 25th, 2008 at 1:00pm

Mine tends to hit after a high cycle.....never have understood that. I should be jumping for joy.

B

“We see what we believe, not the other way around." — Varga
Racer1_NC  
IP Logged

Just Plain Carl
CH.com Old Timer

IT IS WHAT IT IS

Royal Oak, Michigan
Reply #5 - Nov 25th, 2008 at 2:19pm

I'm pretty much depressed during the entire cycle.

I attribute most of it to exhaustion due to minimal amounts of sleep.

That being said, I think I was more depressed when I last checked my 401K.

PFD's On Ya
                                             JPC

IP Logged

Ray
CH.com Alumnus

Ray

Columbus, Ohio
Reply #6 - Nov 25th, 2008 at 2:30pm

I'm a chronic CHer.  I'm always depressed when the hits are bad.

Wishing you well,

Ray

You have my prayers and compassion-I'm right there with you.

Dum tempus habemus, operemur bonum

*While we have the time, let us do good*

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register
WWW raymond.schwartz759 rayplace raymond.schwartz759 raymond759  
IP Logged

sandie99
CH.com Hall of Famer

Wish it, dream it, do
it - inspite the pain!

Finland
Reply #7 - Nov 25th, 2008 at 2:39pm

Hi! Warm welcome to clusterville!

I'm familiar with depression as well; I call it as "clusterblues", as the two seem to come together at times. Hardest one came right after my chronic phase changed into remission and episodic form.

If you need to talk, vent, ask, comment... this is the place to be. Here's always someone ready to help and reply, 24/7. And as you can see - you are not alone! Smiley

Welcome to ch family. Smiley

PF days your way,
Sanna

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

IP Logged

FramCire
CH.com Alumnus

Life like a froward child
must be humored a little

Bolivar, MO USA
Reply #8 - Nov 26th, 2008 at 1:17am

I suffer from depression and have anxiety issues when I shadow.  The problem I have had fighting off depression is that Wellbutrin (and others) seem to be a trigger for a cycle for me.

Whatever you do, try and see a doctor for it as well.

Ask questions, talk and read as much as you can on both CH and depression.   

All of us have probably posted a "Is this typical" post on here and usually you find some people who have been through it.  Keep asking questions and let us know what is working or nto for you.

You've overstayed your welcome since the day we met but it doesn't seem to matter to you.  No medications are your master, nothing makes you fret, it's a helpless feeling having nothing I can do

IP Logged

purpleydog
CH.com Alumnus

Reply #9 - Nov 26th, 2008 at 3:04am

Hi all...I'm new to the site and to my cluster diagnosis.  I'll take time to introduce myself properly later...but for now, have many of you experienced severe depression after finally getting over an episode?  It's been 6 months and now that it's gone I just don't even want to get out of bed and I cry every day.  Normal?  Embarrassed

A lot of us are depressed at one point or another when in a cycle. Some take anti-depressants, to help with the depression, or to help fight the beast.

What meds are you taking now? What meds were you taking while you were in cycle?

Welcome to the board, and keep asking questions. There is a lot of info to be had here, read, read, read, and let us know how we can help!

Chris

IP Logged

Kevin_M
CH.com Sponsor

withered branches grow
green again.

Michigan, USA
Reply #10 - Nov 26th, 2008 at 6:21am

It's been 6 months and now that it's gone I just don't even want to get out of bed and I cry every day.  Normal?

Lingering as such this distanced from an event can give it a more tenuous alliance with clusters alone, a consultation could be an idea.

IP Logged

Bob Johnson
CH.com Alumnus

"Only the educated are
free." -Epictetus

Kennett Square, PA (USA)
Reply #11 - Nov 26th, 2008 at 7:55am

Your last sentence defines a significiant clinical depression which needs professional care. This is not a simple case of post-CH blues.

Bob Johnson

IP Logged

UnderTheRadar
CH.com Old Timer

Literally

Texas
Reply #12 - Nov 26th, 2008 at 6:30pm

Thanks for all the warm wishes...it's made all the difference today...I finally got in there and wrote an introduction; I've tried all kinds of stuff over the past few months, with nothing working except my adderall (and clusterbusters);  yes, I am seeing a therapist, and it helps to just know I'm not alone!!  thanks everybody!
-Paige Smiley

Remember- double-line the foil, shiny side out.

IP Logged

Jill
CH.com Alumnus

"Life is a series of goodbyes
and hellos" Billy J.

Sweden
Reply #13 - Nov 27th, 2008 at 12:16pm

Hi there...

I am also chronic and suffer from depression... always been a problem since the headaches first started.

It seems that the worse the hits, the worse the depression and there are times when the hits come back to back and I just break down completely when one ends. That seems to make it harder as I get worn out and wonder what the point is in fighting them because they will just keep coming. Those are tough times.

I also have learned, especially recently, that the more I focus on what they have taken away from me and what I have been through, the worse I feel. I guess that that makes sense but it is hard to not get into that state of mind. I did the cluster survey and that was hard.. I cannot really explain why though.

I am sorry that you are having a rough time, if it continues than you might talk to your doctor. I have been put on two anti-depressants both for the depression and doctors thought that they might help the headaches as well. They do help my mood, my husband notices when I miss two doses!

Again, sorry that you have to deal with this but I am glad that your cycle has ended.  Smiley

Jill

"If you learn from your suffering and really come to understand the lesson you were taught you might be able to help someone else who is now in the phase. Maybe that is what its all about after all.."
WWW Worldshots2003 FarmerGJill  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!