Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Medical withdrawl from school (Read 975 times)
slacker032
CH.com Old Timer

Los Angeles, CA
Medical withdrawl from school
Nov 25th, 2008 at 7:27am

Has anybody had any experience in being granted a medical withdrawal from school?  I'm in the midst of one of my worst cycles ever and I've fallen drastically behind in my classes.  I've usually been able to fight through them and do pretty well but this one has been so terrible that I'm on pace to fail or get a D in 3 out of 5 classes. 

My advisor says it is unlikely that I'll be granted one this late in the semester but to give it a try.  I'm seeing the school neuro next week.  Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

IP Logged

Rolomatic
Ex Member

Re: Medical withdrawl from school
Reply #1 - Nov 25th, 2008 at 7:49am

Slacker,

Anything is possible but I would advise printing out the Oxygen info from the link to the left and the med info also. It always helps to have some ammo to show that you are informed and give the nero something to help acquaint them if they are not well informed on the condition.

They will most likely put you on a prednisone taper and verapamil to start. I would push for the O2 right from the start because it will give instant abortive relief and tell the doc to put a non-rebreather mask and high flow regulator on the O2 order.

Hope this helps and good luck at the neurologist!

Roland. Smiley

IP Logged

AussieBrian
CH.com Hall of Famer

CH - It's all in your
head!

Cairns, Qld, Australia
Reply #2 - Nov 25th, 2008 at 8:19am

I've not the first idea how school works in your country, but I reckon it's time you take a deep breath and decide whether you're going to be a victim of this beast - or the victor!

Study your hardest, take the exam, and regardless the outcome you've proved once again that you're better than any old CH dragon.

There's victims and victors, Slacker, just don't let the weak ones suck you down.

My name is Brian. I'm a ClusterHead and I'm here to help. Email me anytime at briandinkum@yahoo.com

IP Logged

MrsT
CH.com Veteran

I Love CH.com!

San Diego, CA
Reply #3 - Nov 25th, 2008 at 9:11am

I never thought about a leave because of CH, simply because I couldn't afford to.  But when I had a bad kidney infection that required me to be bed-ridden, all I needed was a note from my GP.  Back then (ages ago) school (private college) even refunded my tuition for that quarter.  I doubt State would have been impressed even if I had presented a neurologist's note early in the semester.  See if you can talk to a doctor about a note and try to get "I" for this term.

IP Logged

UnderTheRadar
CH.com Old Timer

Literally

Texas
Reply #4 - Nov 25th, 2008 at 11:06am

I am in EXACTLY the same boat you are...I totally sympathize.  Embarrassed  I'm at a state school, and I have kept my profs up to date and they have been very lenient, but in one class I'm going to ask for an I because there's no way I can catch up...she said she just needs documentation from my doctor that this is an "extenuating circumstance."
  Also, an "I" is MUCH better on your record, and then you won't have to pay twice to retake the courses...
  As far as actually withdrawing, I know it can be done, but you'll have to ask your school for their requirements.  Good luck!

Remember- double-line the foil, shiny side out.

IP Logged

MkeithD

That which does not kill
us.....makes us stranger.

Philadelphia, PA.
Reply #5 - Feb 12th, 2009 at 2:33pm

hey now.

last semester i was able to drop classes with a medical withdraw. with no penalty. after paying 10$ to the neuros for a letter describing why i was unable to attend class. the best part was this....i was able to have the tuition i paid for those classes applied to this semester. and i go to a shitty community college. there should be some policy @ yer school to cover at the very least a medical withdraw with no penalty...

MKD

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!