Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Doctors in Toronto (Read 4183 times)
Trevor
CH.com Newbie

What a thing!

Cape Town
Doctors in Toronto
Nov 24th, 2008 at 8:54pm

I have searched 'Toronto' but have not found any doctor's names. If anyone knows of a doctor in Toronto who is familiar with CH and who is not dead afraid to prescribe Imitrex (tablets and injections) please let me know.
I have been turned down twice today by different doctors. Last luck I had was at Toronto Western Emerg. where they gave me three repeats of injection vials. I just can't believe this.

Please help if you can and Thanks!

IP Logged

Grandma_Sweet_Boy
CH.com Alumnus

What Goes Around Comes
Around!

Georgetown,Ontario
Re: Doctors in Toronto
Reply #1 - Nov 24th, 2008 at 9:11pm

Hi Trevor - you can try Dr Gawell at Sunnybrook Hospital.  He's considered to be very good and does have an understanding of Clusters.  Actually he's considered tops in the field in our area.

Let me know if you need anything further on finding him.

I'm assuming you are in Toronto?  I'm slightly west of there in Georgetown.

Carol

IP Logged

Grandma_Sweet_Boy
CH.com Alumnus

What Goes Around Comes
Around!

Georgetown,Ontario
Reply #2 - Nov 24th, 2008 at 9:19pm

Sorry - should have asked you what part of the city are you in?

If Sunnybrook is too far for you - let me know and when I go into my office tomorrow I'll see who else I can find for you.

My neuro is in Oakville but that might be a little out of the way for you.

Carol

IP Logged

MITYRARE
CH.com Old Timer

autocross racer

Ontario, Canada
Reply #3 - Nov 24th, 2008 at 9:55pm

Or if you can get a referal to neuro Dr. Sheldon Baryshnik in Newmarket. He is familiar with CH and runs the pain clinic at the York Regional Hospital in Newmarket (his office is on Davis drive just kitty corner from the hospital)

He makes cluster patients a priority and once you have seen him for your first consultation you can get in to see him in a matter of days (not months) when a cluster begins...his secretary has orders to put cluster patients in immediately.  For what his personality may lack, he makes up for with his prescription agressiveness in dealing with these things...not afraid to deal agressively with difficult cluster patients that are unresponsive to regular cluster med protocols. 

Paul

Paul
"car crazy"

IP Logged

Grandma_Sweet_Boy
CH.com Alumnus

What Goes Around Comes
Around!

Georgetown,Ontario
Reply #4 - Nov 24th, 2008 at 10:21pm

Paul - that's great information.  I hadn't heard of Sheldon but will add his name to the list I've got.

Thanks for jumping in.

Carol

IP Logged

sue_g
CH.com Junior

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

x0|Gananoque|Canada||0|0|ON,Ontario
Reply #5 - Nov 25th, 2008 at 5:37am

This is awesome news.... more Canadian doctors to keep on file!

You know, years ago I thought I was all alone with this condition, I was always wondering if there were someone else out there that I could speak to, who understood the pain i was experiencing.

Not that I wish it apon anyone, but  I'm so thankful we have this website as a source of communication, we can educate ourselves to try to stay on top of this beast,

Good Luck with the doc!

Tomorrow will be better!

IP Logged

Trevor
CH.com Newbie

What a thing!

Cape Town
Reply #6 - Nov 25th, 2008 at 8:43am

Thank you for the suggestions Carol and Paul. I will try Sunnybrook first but may be staying with friends in Leaskdale soon so Newmarket would be excellent then.

Thank you both so much!

Trevor

IP Logged

Iddy
CH.com Alumnus

Smile

Toronto,Canada
Reply #7 - Dec 3rd, 2008 at 8:02pm

Paul,great to hear about Dr Sheldon.Since the fall of 05 I have had to rely on my shrink at CAMH for the fight against the beast.I give him credit,at least he has the stones to prescribe Imitrex for me.
I hope and pray I can see Dr Sheldon.Thanks for the info.Walk in peace.

Walk in Peace

"If you can, help others, if you cannot do that, at least do not harm them." Dalai Lama

IP Logged

MITYRARE
CH.com Old Timer

autocross racer

Ontario, Canada
Reply #8 - Dec 3rd, 2008 at 10:05pm

His name is Dr. Sheldon Baryshnik ( Sheldon is his first name) and he is in newmarket. You will need your doctor to give you a referal to get in to see him.

paul

Paul
"car crazy"

IP Logged

kika
CH.com Veteran

I Love CH.com!

Reply #9 - Jan 12th, 2009 at 6:57pm

I see Dr Gary Shapero at the Markham Headache and Pain treatment Centre:

Gary Shapero, M.D.
Markham Headache and Pain Treatment Centre
10 Unionville Gate, Suite #301 and #302
Unionville, Ontario L3R 0W7
Tel: 905.475.9700
Fax: 905.475.4270

I have been seeing him for about 3 years now and he is very helpful about trying and prescibing meds that I request ( triptans, O2). I am seeing him tomorrow about possibly trying lithium, or getting a saline lock inserted for DHE IV.

IP Logged

MemyselfandI
CH.com Newbie

Ontario, Canada
Reply #10 - Jan 27th, 2009 at 9:35pm

I was diagnosed by Dr. John Gladstone.  He works out of Sunnybrook part of the week and another office the rest of the week.  He's a neuro that seems to specialize in headaches.  

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!