Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Clusterheadaches.com

Search box updated Dec 3, 2011... Search ch.com with Google!
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterEvent CalendarBirthday List  

Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print
What are your triggers? (Read 11919 times)
AussieBrian
CH.com Hall of Famer

CH - It's all in your
head!

Cairns, Qld, Australia
Re: What are your triggers?
Reply #50 - Dec 29th, 2008 at 10:43pm

We so often mention REM sleep and its relvance to CH but one of our ladies has listed "dreaming" as a possible trigger.

I love it.

My name is Brian. I'm a ClusterHead and I'm here to help. Email me anytime at briandinkum@yahoo.com

IP Logged

thebbz
Ex Member

Reply #51 - Dec 29th, 2008 at 10:49pm

I'm with you on that Brian. When not in an episode I rarely dream. When in an episode I dream alot almost nightly, I dont like dreaming much. It means pain. Dreaming as a trigger...I'm aboard
the bb

IP Logged

Rolomatic
Ex Member

Reply #52 - Dec 29th, 2008 at 11:11pm

I also notice increased dreaming with high cycle periods. It’s like a soap opera of well, you know... Smiley

Rolo. Cheesy
« Last Edit: Dec 29th, 2008 at 11:11pm by N/A »  

IP Logged

Pixie-elf
CH.com Hall of Famer

I've tried the rest, and
busting is the best!

Beaumont,Tx
Reply #53 - Dec 30th, 2008 at 8:38pm

I found a new one.

Cousin's Baby slamming head into your jaw, hurts. They have very hard little heads. He wasn't hurt, so I was thankful but damn... The beast basically said "HI, you wanted some company?"

Dreaming isn't a trigger for me, but, I always have the same TYPE of dream right before I wake up with a cluster.

It's that there's a snake, in my skull. Well, usually more than one. Sometimes one is crawling around my occipital nerve, the other is in my left eye and eating it's way around my sinuses.

I have NO fear of snakes, in fact, I love them. So the dream doesn't scare me, it's just kinda like "Huh? Well, that's weird... Oh, I'm in pain." THEN I wake up. I'm trying to find a way to wake up when I dream of that, but so far I haven't been able to.

As far as I'm concerned, cluster busting has been the best treatment I've tried. No migraines since I started it, and my hits have gotten so much better. Wanna know more?
Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

It's saved my life.

IP Logged

washed-out
CH.com Junior

Native Engrish Speaker
:D

Poland
Reply #54 - Dec 31st, 2008 at 8:06pm

Alcohol is the worst trigger for me so far. Fortunately I don't like it very much and drink only occasionally. I am chronic but when I remember when once I drank really small bottle of Bacardi Breezer and headache started in like 5 minutes... The same happened when I took just one swallow of red wine.

Another thing is... lack of sleep. Yeah, some time ago I had big problems with sleeping (cluster headaches, other health and psychic problems) but I eventually had to wake up at 7 or 8 am... Normally my attacks are only in the evening, but after only a few hours or sleep, I had really terrible attacks around afternoon (especially when I didn't sleep much for a few days in a row).

IP Logged

Fenton
CH.com Newbie

I love my family

Woodward Oklahoma
Reply #55 - Dec 31st, 2008 at 9:47pm

biggest trigger!!!!!!!!!!!!   relaxing right after a stressfull adrenaline rush...
and the dang thing about it is I am an adrenaline junkie (retired law enforcement, rodeo, motocross) 
alcohol, dont drink no more ,5yrs now.   
within 30min to an hr after i fall asleep every time
making a butt out of myself with my wife
oh man i could name alot  smells, foods, People

even miss spelling words..  Roll Eyes

Just enjoying life anyway!!!!!
papa_fenton@yahoo.com  
IP Logged

I.T.
CH.com Newbie

zen

NORWAY
Reply #56 - Jan 1st, 2009 at 8:13am

Hi George.
I am a norwegian woman, age 36 with CH. I have had it for 18 years. I have just entered this site, my english isn`t that great, i have never chatted on sites like this before, but I`m gonna give it a try. I was free of CH last nigt, and hope that 15 weeks  with 3-7 attacs a day, are about to wear out. I usually use IMIGRAN injeksion (triptan), with very good results. So mayby I`m a bit lucky after all. I remember my first 10 years without any medicine. I hope this website can be "a friend of mine" escpesially next time i get CH. I want to be more prepeared next time.
I.T.

IP Logged

seasonalboomer
CH.com Hall of Famer

CH messes with my isness

Charlotte, NC
Reply #57 - Jan 1st, 2009 at 8:39am

Welcome IT!

Take a moment to read up on the Oxygen threads and links. You could cut way back, possibly, on using injections with proper use of Oxygen therapy. A lot of us have had great success with this and it cuts way back on the meds.

Scott

Scott

IP Logged

Blue_eyes
CH.com Junior

One day at a time

Minneapolis, MN.
Reply #58 - Jan 1st, 2009 at 3:06pm

Red wine
wood smoke
Those are the only ones that I know of so far.

Blue_eyes  
IP Logged

Fenton
CH.com Newbie

I love my family

Woodward Oklahoma
Reply #59 - Jan 4th, 2009 at 1:30am

how bout when ur laying down or sitting in ur recliner an u have your forearm laid across ur forehead,
has anybody every had that set one off...  it sets mine off if i leave it on my forehead to long with out paying attention

Just enjoying life anyway!!!!!
papa_fenton@yahoo.com  
IP Logged

thebbz
Ex Member

Reply #60 - Jan 4th, 2009 at 1:39pm

Relaxing is a trigger. When in the episode, if I relax, bang.
Never relax ..ever. Shocked
the bb

IP Logged

hurtzdonut
CH.com Newbie

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

x0|Fort Wayne|USA||0|0|IN,Indiana
Reply #61 - Jan 7th, 2009 at 11:06pm

bright sunlight.. if caught outside without my welding helmet on.. ,, chocolate ,  stress.. , too many cigs,  alcohol, (specifically Vodka) not a beer or wine guzzler, loud crowds,  bar scenes  (if too close to music equiptment)   stupid people or I should say, stupid questions..  there is probably several  more that I havent figured out yet.. oh, yeah , harsh indoor lighting  .. and idiot neuros

IP Logged

hefty
CH.com Newbie

Supporter of growly

Reply #62 - Jan 8th, 2009 at 7:53am

John/Growly's triggers:

smells - petrol, nailpolish, insect spray, bathroom cleaners, linaments
alcohol (not always)
relaxing or lying down
messing with sleep pattern (not that he really has one)
extreme or sudden stress (steady, mild stress or concentrating seem to help, like driving or computer games - anyone else do this?)
vibrations (travelling by bus or on bumpy roads, running, even sometimes brushing teeth)
bending over/forwards (e.g most housework, or maybe this one is fake  Wink )
touching parts of his face (when he's bad)
darkness
bad lighting
bad or stale coffee

The other day he was feeling pretty good for him (kip 3) and we were going to go to the beach... until he saw a cockroach, panicked and sprayed before thinking - then he was straight up to an 8 and it was all off. D'oh! Roll Eyes

IP Logged

bloobrain
CH.com Newbie

THANK YOU CH.com!

chile
Reply #63 - Jan 8th, 2009 at 11:43am

Does anybody knows how many (%) have "sleep "as a trigger of CH?
Yours sincerely
bloobrain

IP Logged

Chris Morrow
CH.com Veteran

Messin' with Sasquatch

Asheville, NC
Reply #64 - Jan 8th, 2009 at 12:13pm

Sleep...the only time I every dream is during my cycles...never noticed that until I saw the other post about dreaming.
Alcohol-Guinness is a killer, followed by whiskey.
Chocolate did it yesterday, TWICE! (within 5 minutes, never had that problem before????)
I was a mechanic for 11 years and a truck driver for a year. Diesel fuel odor, but never gasoline, any chemical you can find in an auto shop, and the worst has always been exhaust fumes. My cycles have been in the winter for the past 8 years, everyone in the shop used to hate me because I worked beside a fan and kept the door at my bay open all winter.

IP Logged

Guiseppi
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

San Diego to Florida 05-16-2011

SAN DIEGO, CALIFORNIA USA
Reply #65 - Jan 8th, 2009 at 12:41pm

For BLOODBRAIN. A lot of people get hit shortly after falling asleep, when they hit the REM sleep mode. If you're one of these, try taking Melatonin about 30 minutes before bed time. Start at 3-6 mg and work up until you find relief. Give it  a couple of days. Melatonin is available over the counter at health food and vitamin stores. Many can avoid the night time terrors with it. Good luck!

Joe

"Somebody had to say it" is usually a piss poor excuse to be mean.

IP Logged

George
CH.com Moderator
CH.com Alumnus

Black-Billed Magpie

Boise, Idaho USA
Reply #66 - Jan 8th, 2009 at 1:28pm

bloobrain wrote on Jan 8th, 2009 at 11:43am:
Does anybody knows how many (%) have "sleep "as a trigger of CH?
Yours sincerely
bloobrain

I couldn't quote a percentage, but there are a lot of us. 

Nearly all the hits I get begin ninety minutes after falling asleep--in the REM stage.  Gets so you're a little gunshy about the whole sleep thing.   Undecided

Best,

George

"Whoever loveth me, loveth my hound."  (Thomas More, author of "Utopia", and Chancellor of England.  1477-1535)
WWW George jacox6820 7165032563  
IP Logged

bloobrain
CH.com Newbie

THANK YOU CH.com!

chile
Reply #67 - Jan 8th, 2009 at 5:29pm

Thank you all for the speedy answer to my question. I myself a chronic CH, and maybe some remembers me as BLUEBRAIN from Denmark (old m-bord). The reason of my question is that I am in the process of writing an article in which is possible to demostrate scientifically tha the symptoms of a small group of CH patients  cannot be explained through the current idea that pain occurs before the vasodilation of intracranelblood vessels.
My theory is that, at least a subgroup of CH sufferers experience a vasidilation of the bloodvessels, described in  my theory/hypothesis -Bluebrain theory, presented here (old-m = April 24th,2007). In few words, the extreme pain is the consequence of an extreme vasodilation of a bloodvessel that subsequently mechanically activates the trigeminalnerve after the glasser ganglion. As soon as you get the vasidilation under control the pain disappears. The pain is not due to the activation of pain receptors (nociceptors). I think, following my theory, can also explain why O2 in high concentration can abort a CH.
Yours sincerely
Bloobrain(bluebrain)
PS: Is it possible for me to use/name in my article all the other triggers mentioned in this forum? I am specially interested in one patient who identifies "laying down" as a trigger among others,

IP Logged

duerrs
CH.com Junior

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Kinnelon, NJ
Reply #68 - Jan 13th, 2009 at 3:55pm

Sleep
Alcohol
Pot (can only do it when not in cycle)
Chocolate
Anger
Salt
Cheese
MSG (Chineese food)

Just to name a few

IP Logged

joe w.
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #69 - Jan 16th, 2009 at 12:25pm

Alcohol
anger
aerobic exercise

Does anyone else have aerobic exercise as a trigger (weight lifting does not do it - I assume the aerobic exercise raises body temperature)

IP Logged

Deb B
CH.com Newbie

That's what I'm talking
about.

South Carolina
Reply #70 - Jan 17th, 2009 at 9:34am

I am still trying to figure it out but the for sure:
1.  loud noise which includes:  music or TV too loud
2.  barometer  changes
3.  hunger?  i often skip lunch
4.  ???I wake up with CH so sleeping??? but I have to sleep because when I do not sleep it is a trigger too??

I would like to see others input because it will heighten my awareness to watch for those things too! Smiley

IP Logged

Bravehead
CH.com Newbie

Beer Beer everywhere...but
not a drop to drink

Scotland
Reply #71 - Jan 17th, 2009 at 11:18am

I noticed some one else mentions spelling mistakes while in cycle...that happens to me as well! My spelling is usually fine but it rapidly deteriorates when Mr Beast comes calling. Do you suppose this is a symptom of CH or is it the meds?

My guaranteed triggers are alcohol (damn!) and bright glaring sunlight. Secondary causes seem to be cooking fumes, heat and the smell of bleach.

IP Logged

DonG
CH.com Newbie

I Love CH.com!

Reply #72 - Jan 18th, 2009 at 5:05am

I have noticed that recent atmospheric conditions triggered daytime (work) k9s of very short duration. Shadows all day long. This was unsettling as I never get them at work.
I had one every 2 hours on the clock with shadows, heavy shadows and then pain and remission lasting about an hour.
Bright lights and sound and smells have little to no effect. I am usually plunged into episodes by changes in time (travel) and the solstices.
When we talk about triggers are we talking about during the cycle?
I have noticed I can move up the Kip with stress and red wine
I have been on Verapamil for heart and I thought I was done with this but the atmosphere and travel during the holidays put me in a spin.
I guess the order would be:
1. Cyclic (solstice)
2. Travel (Time change)
3. Stress (moving up the kip)
4. Red Wine (assured trigger during cycle)

IP Logged

G-Boy
CH.com Newbie

x1|Hawkes Bay|New_Zealand|australia|536|307|
Reply #73 - Jan 18th, 2009 at 11:08pm

Aftershave, heat, smoking, alcohol, and lying down.
« Last Edit: Jan 18th, 2009 at 11:10pm by G-Boy »  

IP Logged

purpleydog
CH.com Alumnus

Reply #74 - Jan 19th, 2009 at 7:03am

When I was episodic, cigarette smoke and alcohol would trigger me. I didn't smoke, and would stop drinking completely when in cycle.

When I turned chronic, cigarette smoke stopped being a trigger, along with alcohol, except tequila and red wine. I rarely drink anyway.

During the last high cycle I was in, I did notice some new triggers for the first time:

That anti-static spray my boss uses on his shirts so they don't stick to him. I had to ask him to spray himself in the room next to our office.
Certain fragrances, like in hand lotion.
Some fragrance free hand lotions (I think it's the alcohol in them).
Diesel fumes, diesel exhaust and "bad" exhaust from vehicles.
Barometric changes apparently.
Precipitation.
Being too warm.
Hot air in my face.
Being too stressed.
Relaxing after being under a high stress level for more than a few days.
Having my back and neck muscles too tensed up.

Multimedia File Viewing and Clickable Links are available for Registered Members only!!  You need to Login or Register

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print

DISCLAIMER: All information contained on this web site is for informational purposes only.  It is in no way intended to be used as a replacement for professional medical treatment.   clusterheadaches.com makes no claims as to the scientific/clinical validity of the information on this site OR to that of the information linked to from this site.  All information taken from the internet should be discussed with a medical professional!